[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Mark Hamill really that great of an actor? I think he isn't.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4
Is Mark Hamill really that great of an actor?

I think he isn't. He's a great voice actor, but in live roles he's middling. I worry his performance in Episode VIII will bring the thing down.

He did mention asking for advice from Daisy Ridley (who although younger is definitely a more skilled actor), so that's a good sign.
>>
>white male with a large role
problematic desu
>>
>>63937562
He had a pretty good arc in the originals that he nails. I'd say he's the weakest main player in A New Hope though
>>
People don't claim that he's a great actor.

However I think his performance in the original trilogy was really underrated. A bad actor wouldn't have made the transition from whiny farmboy to badass Jedi Knight so convincing. And acting alongside a frog muppet that he could barely hear couldn't have been easy either.

Everything else I've seen him in he seems a little hammy but I like it. I've sure he'll do great under Rian Johnson.
>>
Well, luke was ok i guess (I'm talking about acting, i love the character) I hope he got better
>>
>>63937562
He doesn't do much, han solo dies, something something black guy, something something, soccer robot
>>
One thing: If he does knock it out of the park this will be his chance to have the career as a leading man he never pulled off the first time around.
>>
>>63937562
>daisy ridley is a better actor than mark hamill
>obvious troll

2/10 stop wasting bandwidth please
>>
>>63937708
I agree with this.
He doesn't need to churn out an Oscar winning performance and he won't phone it in like Ford could have done.
>>
>>63937562
Have you seen TFA?
She is awfull and cant even pronounce her 'r's properly. Apart from her goofy personna and terrible accent, she doesnt hold your attention.
Mark Hamill is a great actor wtf
In short, shes as charismatic as a limp carrot.
>>
He's nothing special outside of his phenomenal voice acting, but he's fucking Luke Skywalker and that's all that matters he just has to stand there and say his lines and it'll be good enough.
>>
>>63937562
>his performance in Episode VIII will bring the thing down.
There won't be anything to ruin
>>
He's certainly competent, not actor of the century by any means but he's better than a lot of the pretty-faced shlop we see, watch is somewhat ironic as he started out in a pretty-face role.

Historically Mark does better with emotive characters. If they play to that, even just intermittently, I'm confident Mark will crush the role in the upcoming films.
>>
>>63937849
I think the biggest problem has always been he's Luke Skywalker, it's hard to see him as anything else. Too big to succeed.
>>
>>63937889
Nah, she is. Which isn't really a difficult thing to achieve. Hamill has never had any range on camera. When he's doing voice acting he's a whole other person.
>>
>>63937941
My big worry was making Han grumpy like Ford's talk show character, but he was still effervescent. Wished they had given him his feathered hair and sideburns back though.
>>
>>63938109
Yeah, basically if he's allowed to chew the scenery and just go completely over the top he's awesome. That's why "THAT'S NOT TRUE, THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE" is his best line in the whole series.
>>
>>63938267
It's crazy that Ford went on talk shows to begin with. He went years and years never making any appearances at all.
>>
File: 1329056666282.jpg (13 KB, 188x140) Image search: [Google]
1329056666282.jpg
13 KB, 188x140
His performance in 7 was genius. He had little to do, but he did it so fucking well.

He's the most badass character right now. He looks so fucking cool.

>mfw I see Luke again
>>
>>63938600
Yeah, it sent chills up my spine. It was the true moment of "holy shit we're back in the Galaxy Far Far Away..."
>>
>>63937562

He is still my favorite Joker. Played him for like 20 years. Skywalker is alright though.
>>
>>63938600

It was great to see him, especially after watching my Han Solo get shanked and go out like a bitch. Hopefully Luke, whether he lives or dies, will have a more noble ending suited to the character.
>>
>>63938689

Moved me more than Solo's death. I had been spoiled, but somehow, it didn't make me sad.

>haven't seen a character in LITERALLY 30 years

>actor is going to die soon himself

>his character is finished

I felt sadder thinking that Ford will die within muh lifetime, but otherwise it felt unreal and completely not happening. Solo is still alive to me. You can't kill Solo, don't be stupid.

>I know.
>>
He goes from whiny enthusiasm to brooding know-it-all to cool badass in three films and he sells each portrayal well...in particular his work alongside Yoda is perfectly believable and makes the Muppet work on a magical degree. That's why Yoda is best in ESB as well. Well that and Kershner.
>>
>>63937708
I was going to say this.
>>
>>63938839
I think part of that is Han Solo as an old man isn't nearly as interesting as old Master Luke Skywalker.
>>
>>63939012

Also

>Indiana Jones flashbacks

>never again

>DIE MOTHERFUCKER, DIE
>>
File: 1450668723214.gif (2 MB, 438x363) Image search: [Google]
1450668723214.gif
2 MB, 438x363
>>63937708
>little hammy
>hammy
>ham
>Mark Hamill

10/10
>>
>>63938254
nope. hamill is far better.
you've obviously never seen marks filmography or you'd know he is a great actor.

granted he's no alec guinness, but miles better than daisy ridley.
>>
>>63939110

This gif...

That's how I imagine his face is when he eventually rapes me in a dark corner of my own apartment...

>literally scared
>>
>>63939185
>granted he's no alec guinness, but miles better than daisy ridley.

I personally fail to see how she did a bad job. I'm the first to get butthrut at SJW shit but I liked her character just fine. She's cute as fuck and she was immersive.

For that matter, I never felt like Mark was a bad actor or did anything that stood out of character.

If anything, his own inexperience reflected that of Luke and it worked perfectly.

Maybe I don't see what you guys perceive, but that's my two cents.
>>
>>63938689
>>63938600

Disney shills you can go now, the movie made a lot of money, your job is done
>>
>>63937562
>Is Mark Hamill really that great of an actor?

Mark doesn't live by his looks and knows how to act. If he fits the role, yes, just like how it goes for everyone. He was pretty good at Wing Commander.
>>
>>63939351

Eat shit you cunt. This is my honest opinion, if you don't like it, I don't care.
>>
>>63939293
she's a terrible actress and her vibe is all wrong for the star wars universe.
her voice ughhh
>>
>>63939382

Hammill is one of the very characters that look the way they should.

>nignog looks nothing like a trooper
>Rey looks like a female Anakin as a kid
>Nazi dude looks like a bullied ginger boy
>Phasma doesn't even look
>Solo looks old
>Leia looks rancid
>Poe looks like an italian immigrant
>Snoke looks like Krueger in the remake
>Kylo looks like a mongoloid Jew

It's horrible when you think of it.
>>
>>63939397
Upvoted
>>
I think MH is underrated even in IV. He played the whinny, envious braggy kid too damn well compared to post Obi-wan's death.
>>
>>63939382
has nobody here seen corvette summer and the big red one with lee marvin?? jesus flying fucks you guys are fucking idiots.

mark was tremendous in those movies
>>
>>63939537

They think not having become a huge star after SW means he can't act.

As if popularity had any relevance to acting skills.

While we're at it: Leonardo DiCaprio is a genius and don't you let his looks fool you. He is a fucking acting genius and has always been.

Search your feelings, you know it to be true.
>>
>>63939509
he's very underrated considering there are actually people here who had a problem with him in IV-VI etc. He was very fitting all the time, always had the right expressions.

/tv/ doesn't really know what acting is
>>
>>63939537
>>63939610
Right on!
>>
>>63937562
the biggest challenge for Episode VIII, as well if he and Daisy have good charisma together.
>>
>>63939477
they should've kept Carrie Fisher fat
>>
File: BRO2[1].jpg (48 KB, 720x405) Image search: [Google]
BRO2[1].jpg
48 KB, 720x405
>>63939185
I have seen them and they sucked.
>>
>>63937562
Luke in all likelihood, will die in Episode 8. He'll be the Obi-wan to Rey's Luke. Save this for when it happens.
>>
He's a good actor in the same way Arnold is (not to the same extent of course). He'll never win any award, but he's likeable so his performance is endearing.
>>
>>63940086
Nah, not so soon after Han died.
If he's going to die, it will be in the last one.
>>
>>63939537
I have seen both of those and he's the weak link all the way through.
>>
>>63940086
Obi-wan to Rey was Han.

Luke will be the Yoda, but can't die.
>>
>>63939293
I don't understand how you LIKED her character. She was hardly even a character to me. She was literally just a vehicle for the plot to move forward and the good guys to win. She has "muh dark past" but it means next to nothing in the film. She succeeds at damn near everything she does. She's basically perfect, save for being a bit wobbly when trying things for the first time. She can fly the MF like a pro after a couple minutes, She fixes the MF better than Han Solo, Han thinks she's so cool that she can be 2nd mate, Chewie apparently really likes her, Finn wants dat poon, Kylo wants dat force sensitive poon, Leia is all like "may the force be with you, luke analogue", etc.

The only way her character will be interesting is if she is hardcore tempted by the dark side in the next movie because of how easy everything is for her.
>>
>>63940692
We get it, anon, girls are icky. No need to blather on for five lines about it.
>>
>>63937562
2/10 almost got mad
>>
>>63940813
ya got me anita
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.