[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
SW:TFA
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5
File: 1437469439087.gif (773 KB, 260x221) Image search: [Google]
1437469439087.gif
773 KB, 260x221
Wtf is a "mary sue" for those of us who are not children here?
>>
>>63935799
>Wtf is a "mary sue" for those of us who are not children here?
The irony.
>>
The sort of unrealistically perfect protagonist you'd find in fanfiction. Rey is that with the addition of feeling basically invulnerable so she's fucking dull.
>>
>>63935799
It's like a fan fiction version of Wesley Crusher where people fellate him even more and from the get go
>>
File: pizza-condom-with-pizza-box.jpg (47 KB, 659x242) Image search: [Google]
pizza-condom-with-pizza-box.jpg
47 KB, 659x242
>>63935799
>>
>>63935860
it's fantasy, what's wrong with that
>>
>>63935799

It's basically the writer's ideal perfect human being, rather than a realistic flawed multi-dimensional character
>>
>>63935799
So you never took a Freshman-level english class? Cool.
>>
>>63935979
You're a Twilight fan aren't ya?
>>
>>63935979

Nothing, it's just more interesting if the character has a bit more dimension to them. To keep using Star Wars as an example, imagine that it was actually very difficult for Rey to fly a ship she'd never seen before, or use the Force when she's never used it before. It'd make you respect her more as a character, it'd make her victories/successes actually mean something if she didn't just do everything perfect on the first try.
>>
>>63935799
A word whose use has expanded so far beyond it's original context it's become meaningless. See also: filler.
>>
>>63936071
Those things were difficult though.
>>
>>63935979
It's not interesting to watch, it's not relatable, and it doesn't leave them any room to grow. One of my favorite scenes in TFA was when Finn(+everyone else) is getting rescued by Poe and the resistance, and Finn is fucking ecstatic about Poe rescuing him(after he rescued Poe at the start of the movie). This works because Finn felt at risk. From Rey on the other we get no fucking reaction. She doesn't even look the least bit threatened when she's kidnapped by the badguy and threatned, if anything the badguy looked more threatned in vulnerable in that scene. She's a dull fucking character,
>>
>>63935860

dude shes really not a mary sue. she knew how to pilot the falcon and survived a fight with kylo AFTER he got fucked up by finn and chewie. every autist on /tv/ is just repeating this bs.
>>
File: waynesworld14.jpg (43 KB, 350x466) Image search: [Google]
waynesworld14.jpg
43 KB, 350x466
>trying to explain common sense to an autist: the thread
>>
>>63935852
No irony there, Alanis.
>>
>>63935860
The protagonist is never the Mary Sue, you liar.
>>
>>63936297

She becomes ridiculously proficient in the force without any training whatsoever.

I mean, do you think ANH Luke would have had any chance against Vader, even if Vader was only at 50%?
>>
>>63936496
>implying kylos is as strong as vader
>>
>>63936496

It's entirely possible she was slightly trained in the force if she was a member of Lukes academy/his daughter after Kylo fucked it up and Luke blanked her mind or some shit.

Also who knows what his weird force mind reading could have done to her anyway.
>>
>>63936575

Okay, do you think ANH Luke would stand a chance against Kylo Ren in the same situation?
>>
>>63936496
but kylo doesnt have any of the training and experience vader did.

she only becomes proficient with the force once she realizes she can block kylo from entering her mind and actually read his mind. This was a turning point for her force ability in the movie. Everything else she did up to that point is a fairly reasonable thing to see out of a main character.
>>
>>63936133
It was difficult because of the extreme pressure of the situations she was in, not because she had the realistic level of skill she should have as someone who has spent her entire life scavenging junk on a backwards desert planet.

Like fair enough she knew a lot about the mechanics of a starship or droids, that makes sense for her character. As does being multilingual, I guess. I mean her planet looked like it had a lot of different alien races on it, so it probably had a lot of traffic and force sensitivity probably helps.

But being able to pilot a spaceship like a goddamn master the first time you ever get one off the ground? Being able to mind trick someone on your third try a day after you find out you're a Jedi? All this does is cheapen the actual value of these skills and make her a less interesting protagonist.
>>
File: 1443955888774.gif (2 MB, 245x281) Image search: [Google]
1443955888774.gif
2 MB, 245x281
>>63935799
NOOOOOO I'VE STARTED ANOTHER FUCKING STAR WARS THREAD!!
>>
File: 1444697332350.gif (517 KB, 147x162) Image search: [Google]
1444697332350.gif
517 KB, 147x162
>>63935799

how do you browse 4chan for more than a month without seeing the term "mary sue" at least once?

i've known what a mary sue is for almost a decade now
>>
>>63936662
Well what do we see Luke do?
>fail at laser blocking
>wear helmet and do 3 in a row immediately
>make a shot even targeting computers were fucking up
I dunno, probably. Rey's on defense for most of the fight. She's just running away and blocking slashes, so I think Luke could do that yeah. She wins because Kylo is weakened, distracted, and has her moment of trusting the force. You don't really get to see Luke's ability with a saber pre-yoda training so it's really hard to say.

>Remember, a Jedi can feel the Force flowing through him.
>You mean it controls your actions?
>Partially, but it also obeys your commands.
The force is gonna do whatever it needs to. Plus Luke and Rey both had ghost obi-wan speaking in their heads at some point in the movie so there's something mystic going on.
>>
>>63935860
it's fantasy yeah she's a mary sue but so what, just turn your brain off
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.