[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, /tv/, what were your main positives and negatives on this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
So, /tv/, what were your main positives and negatives on this movie? I just finished watching the movie and I want to share them with someone.

Positives:
1) I liked the new characters (other than the weird woman from the bar)

2) Good action, as expected from J.J.

3) Han Solo was excellent. Harrison Ford did really good.

Negatives:
1) Way too fast paced. Barely no good dialogue to give you a reason to care about what's going on, and when there was, four times out of five it was nearly immediately interrupted by something happening. The exceptions that come to mind were Kylo Ren killing Han Solo and the end with Luke and Rey

2) They made Kylo Ren look like a bitch. In the first third of the movie he was great, but then he gets counter-mind probed and later outmatched in sword fighting by a stormtrooper and an untrained woman. This is not how you build a villain, Disney. The villain is supposed to look like a threat before he's finally beat. He was literally saved by nature.

3) Really dumb move to blow up the Death Star 3.0 in the first movie of this trilogy. Are they going to build another Death Star again? Or god forbid, two of them, one for each movie? Come on.
>>
So you wanted the movie to end with no good people prevailing in any way. You'd make for a shit writer, dude.
>>
>>63912439
to be fair that's pretty much what empire is
>>
File: 1436367712678.png (246 KB, 550x535) Image search: [Google]
1436367712678.png
246 KB, 550x535
>can freeze a phaser blast
>cant freeze finn with the force then kill him
>>
>>63912476

The reason empire is good is the moral amiguity in that Vader is not pure evil. He is someone who the audience understands cares about his family. Kylo Ren just comes off as a purely evil asshole who doesn't care enough about his family members not to kill them.
>>
Kylo Ren was the best part of the movie, you have to be a retard if you did not get his character and what they are going for with him
The only weak point this movie has is the Starkiller base thing
>>
>>63912390
+
>Finn
>Poe
>BB8
>Stormtroopers going full Stark Jegan on main characters
>lightsaber duels have tension rather than using excessive choreography to compensate
-
>mary sue chick
>villain is a corny fuck
>excessive nostalgia pandering
>>
Most of /tv/ doesn't seem to understand kylo ren
>>
>>63912552

He is a shit character with no redeeming qualities and a retard who sucks at idolizing Vader because he doesn't know Vader turned at the end.
>>
>>63912439
You're a fucking idiot. There's plenty of ways to include a Resistance Victory and Starkiller Base without having SB destroyed. If you think the heroes have to blow something big up at the end of the movie to "prevail" or "be heroes" then YOU'RE the shitty writer.
>>
>>63912579

Kylo Ren is a horseshit attempt at imitating Vader because the hacks at Disney cannot even come up with a new villian. But he falls flat because he lacks Vader's most important quality: the fact that he cares for his family.
>>
>>63912390
>i liked the characters
the characters were way too "modern". why does finn talk like a stereotypical young black man?
>>
>>63912476
Because Empire was the middle of the overall story and could get away with it
>>
>>63912622
Kylo Ren is the one who mimicks darth vader
>>
Mary Sue
>>
>>63912669

Which was a deliberate decision by the hacks at Disney because they couldn't think of any villian to add to the story other then a new version of Vader. I mean the hacks even put a scene where he talks to Vader's old helmet for maximum poetry.
>>
>>63912390
I liked the scene where Rey puts on that pilot helmet and looks at the flying ship.

Only scene where I could really connect to her character
>>
>>63912579
I can understand him. I just don't understand the point of making him look really weak by being BTFO by Rey

If he was the Darth Maul equivalent, it would be understandable. But he's gonna be around to be a villain for longer, so this makes no sense.
>>
>>63912905
Nigga got shot by a wookie bow and became so delirious that he was punching himself during the fight

I give him a pass for getting rekt by Rey
>>
Pros:
Surprisingly good new characters
The set, prop, and costume design was very well done
Despite what /tv/ says i didnt feel like there were any unnecessary nods to the ot that felt out of place

Cons:
Backstory was not set up, well aside from the opening scrolling text, i left not even sure who was in charge, the first order or the resistance.
Kylo Ren/Ben Solo reveal fell flat, should've waited for the confrontation with Han to spill those beans.
The portion at the cantina dragged a little bit.
Some of the humor was unnecessary.

All in all, it was better than i expected and i thought boyega and ridley were surprisingly good considering. Also Rey was hotter than I thought she would be based on pics i've seen here.
>>
>>63912905
Even though he's an adult, he hasn't come of age as a lightsaber wielder. Hasn't constructed his own lightsaber yet either
>>
>>63912988
>Backstory was not set up, well aside from the opening scrolling text, i left not even sure who was in charge, the first order or the resistance.

fucking this
>>
>>63913008
Dude, that's bullshit. He was trained by fucking Luke Skywalker and had his skills honed by Snoke. He's seen stopping blasters with his power and fucking shit up.

He may not be refined, but he surely would kick the ass of an untrained woman.
>>
>>63912988
The pacing and story was super bad in the first half of the film
>>
Kylo Ren VS Finn was cool, Finn did do his best, but he just got outmatched and BTFO

Kylo Ren VS the girl was stupid. He outmatches her for all the fight, then she just suddenly turns some switch on and beats him easily. Considering he's most likely gonna be a villain for three movies, it's stupid to have him beat this handily on the first one.
>>
Should've just stuck with Canon the books would have made better movies, the only thing I can say that saved this massive pile of steaming shit of a Star Wars movie was 3 things.

1: Jar Jar Binks didn't make an appearance.

2: Rey was a fantastic actor.

3: Harrison stepped perfectly back into the role as Han Solo.
>>
Really enjoyed the movie until Han Solo turns up.

>Rey is pretty much Wall-E, salvaging, her character develops as we see her collection of scrap, dreams of being a pilot.

Thought that was cool, I actually really liked her at that point. But then she just bettered everyone at everything.

Finn is the most interesting character and I would have liked to see some conflict with him, Rey and Poe. Finn steals Poe's identity to flirt with Rey, then steals Rey's lightsaber. He fails at doing both, he's not the hero, not force sensitive. He's gonna be bitter as fuck next movie.
>>
>>63913073
Well you all forget that thing called...THE FORCE...If the darkside weakens... he weakens as well.

Also force wielders are affected by their emotional state.

But the movie is so fast going it is hard to catch on most of the little things.

They had to make it at least 3 hours.This is just too short.
>>
>>63912505

HE. WAS. INJURED.
Plain and simple, he wasn't on his prime, and it was pointed a shitload of times how childish and irresponsible he was, none of the things he had done worked. He's not rational.

he wasn't thinking straight you fucker, i'm tired of these comments from people that point their ass towards the screen instead of watching it.
>>
I think Rey is actually a failed clone of Luke, a leftover from when he experimented with the Darkside, which lead to Kylo Ren's fall.

He didn't expect her to become fully formed, and when she did, he abandoned her on Jakku because he didn't want to kill an innocent, but at the same time was afraid of what she might become, being a created with sith science/alchemy.

I think that would be more interesting than her just being Luke's daughter.

How interesting would it be for him, the Grand Master Jedi to be afraid of a clueless darkside clone, a relic of himself in an attempt to increase is own power?
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.