[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Luke is also a Mary Sue Okay faggots, lets reverese their
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2
File: Com.jpg (238 KB, 980x490) Image search: [Google]
Com.jpg
238 KB, 980x490
>Luke is also a Mary Sue

Okay faggots, lets reverese their roles

If Rey was the main character in the OT she
-was constatntly getting saved by people(Obi wan, Han, Leia and even Vader at the very end)
-shes a damsel in distress

Luke in TFA
-Luke knows everything
-Hes overpowered and barley ever in trouble
-Male power fantasy
-Movie treats the force as if it were super Saiyan
-Luke can all of the sudden use the force with no knowledge of it while Rey had to train for it.

Stop defending this shit, People blinded by the "progrssivism" to realize how fucking stupid it is.
>>
>>63893551
>first time on a X wing
>blow up the death star with an almost impossible shot that even a computer could do

b-but no mary sue
>>
>>63893625
he was fucking helped by obi wan you retard
>>
>>63893551
Luke is not a Mary Sue. Luke was extremely naive and had to depend on his amigos many times for help.
>>
>>63893625
>wanted to be a pilot his entire life
>was about to join the flight school before shit went down
>used the force with the help of Obi Wan's spirit
>>
>>63893551
Umm sage.

Luke needed to be taught by Obi-Wan AND Yoda to be a passable fighter.

He almost dies on several occasions.

The Force is almost literally an inspiration for power levels in DBZ.

Luke is force sensitive which means he can sorta know about it but needs to learn how to channel it.
>>
I thought he just had that hairline because he's old, guess not.
>>
>>63893625
>>63893676
He got a ton of help from Obi Wan, The Force, and The Millennium Falcon
>>
>>63893551
hoo are you quoting?
>>
>>63893712
He was a pussy before yoda

Fuck, he barely got out the Hoth alive. Han had to save him again.

Fuck, now that I think of it. He was saved multiple times by his friends.
>>
>>63893625

Wedge Antilles (Red 2): That's impossible! Even for a computer.
Luke: It's not impossible. I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back home, they're not much bigger than two meters.

his life goal was to join the empire and be a fighter ace before his family got BTFO

stop your non-sense with this
>>
>>63893625
He has Anakin's super pilot genes, he is familiar with good tricks like spinning.
>>
>>63893551
>>63893625
NICE MEME MY FRIEND xD
>>
>>63893625

He used the force you fucking moron.
>>
I don't care that Rey got mad skillz; I care that they didn't establish them better in the movie. That womp-rats comment in ANH helped to legitimize Luke's capabilities at the end a bit, something similar would've been nice here.

Like, how and why is she a good pilot when she has no ship? Where did she learn to fight so well? Where did she learn how Jedi mind tricks work, and how specifically to use the Force?
>>
>>63893625
Nigga was blasting womp rats in his T-16 back home, and they aren't much bigger than two meters
>>
>>63893625
Dude, he bullseyed womp rats all day in his T-16, that was his only source of entertainment on his hellhole planet so he practiced flying all day. He intended to join the Imperial Navy as a pilot for his ticket off of his planet. Biggs praised Luke's skill as a pilot and Biggs was considered a hotshot in his own right.

And he had a fucking dead jedi telling him what to do.

Anakin was much more of a mary sue than Luke, but he had TEH CHOSEN 1 at his back so at least there was a justification for it. Even then, he had a lot of clear character flaws, arrogance, lust, envy, arguably more than he should have had given that he was supposed to be a good guy who fell to the dark side for all of the right reasons.
>>
>>63894006

it wasn't just the womp-rats comment, in the beginning of ANH he has an argument about his friends already leaving for the academy ( to become pilots ) and was upset he had to stay another season. specifically wedge who is already a pilot for the rebels after dropping out
>>
>>63893712
The fuck is force sensitive anyway? Do you mean he has a high midi-chlorian count? Are you afraid of science?
>>
>>63893823
>his life goal was to join the empire and be a fighter ace before his family got BTFO
Luke wanted to become an Imperial? What stopped him from becoming the bad guy?
>>
>>63894090
Luke didn't know Wedge prior to meeting him on Yavin, he was from Corellia I think, you're thinking of Biggs.
>>
>>63894172

yeah, that's exactly what I'm doing
>>
Did Luke fight Vader and win in ANH, with Vader only surviving because of an earthquake? No? Then fuck off. Luke would have gotten stomped by Vader in ANH and everyone knows it.
>>
>>63894026
>Anakin was much more of a mary sue than Luke,
Anakin wasn't a mary sue at all. Like you said, the dude was a mess of character flaws and his actions are never really seen as correct or handwaved by others. Even his wife Padme thinks he's a fucking retard and heavily flawed. Shit, no one ever treats him like a 'Chosen One' other than Qui Gonn, but Qui Gonn is fucking dead.
>>
>>63893625

Ohhh my goood, that was the fucking climax of the film in which the meek, unsuspecting hero actually shows his potential. Rey succeeds with no difficulty for the whole movie.
>>
>>63894167

yeah, that was a major plot point in ANH
>>
Luke has piloting skills because he owned a fucking flying thing that shoots.
He constantly doubted himself and always needed obiwan to push him.
He didn't fight with a lightsaber or use the force until after spending time with yoda and learning shit.

Miss perfect can fly a large ship weaving in and out of obstacles on the first try. Manipulates people using the force first try. Beats kylo ren in a lightsaber fight even if he is wounded it's still her first try, speaks droid and wookie. Knows what's wrong with the falken and fixes it when it's the first time she's even been inside it.

They are nothing alike stop being faggots. She's a mary sue with no weaknesses and luke isn't.
>>
>>63894354
So his friends wanted to join the rebels but he wanted to join the empire?

For what reason?
>>
>>63894433

him wanting to fuck his sister because she was bangin hot in the hologram
>>
>>63894433
If you're a pleb like Luke was and just want out of whatever shithole you're from, the Empire would be the easiest way to do it.
>>
Holy shit OP you got blown the fuck out.
>>
>>63894433
He says explicitly that his friends have already gone off to join the Imperial Academy in A New Hope when he's complaining to Owen.

We don't know exactly how they ended up with the Rebel alliance, but they did.
>>
File: apologies.gif (3 MB, 245x140) Image search: [Google]
apologies.gif
3 MB, 245x140
>>63893551
Don't bother. They won't accept the truth. The fanboyism is strong with them.
>>
>>63894167
>Luke wanted to become an Imperial? What stopped him from becoming the bad guy?
The bit where they killed his family because he bought the wrong droids
>>
>>63894388
> Rey was never in the Falcon before
> "Gunner station's down there." - Rey to Finn as soon as they're aboard

Try again pleb. Rey was the Falcon's mechanic for what's-his-face who stole it last. That's why she knew he'd put a compressor on the line. Plz learn comrehension.
>>
Rey isnt a good protagonist for a Star Wars trilogy. She is too competent in too many different fields to be the stereotypical protagonist of the Hero's Journey which Star Wars trilogies have molded themselves after.

Rey
>is an orphan
>survives by herself on a barren wasteland of a planet
>is able to jumpstart the falcon on her own
>is skilled in fighting with her staff and in hand to hand combat
>easily stalemates kylo ren after picking up a lightsaber for the first time
>flies the falcon without ever flying a ship before
>evades and destroys tie fighters with the help of finn
>turns the table on kylo ren in a battle of the minds through the force
>CQCs a stormtrooper and takes his gun

Now compare that to luke in ANH
>teenager who bitches and moans about joining the rebellion
>spends all day tinkering with droids and moisture converters
>finds some droids
>gets btfo by a tusken raider
>gets captured by the empire
>escapes with help of friends and obi wan
>reaches rebel base
>helps the rebels kill the death star because hes a great pilot

Luke in ANH wasn't really special other than he was Anakins son and was force sensitive. All he did was shoot some storm troopers and blow up the Death Star, which was lucky since if Han never showed up Vader would have killed Luke.

In the next two movies we see Luke grow as a character. He gets more mature, he learns combat, he learns the force, and he eventually becomes what Anakin could have been if he rejected the dark side.

Rey on the other hand, has no room for character development other than learning the force. She's already incredibly proficient in a myriad of different subjects and seems way too Mary Sue. I do not see any flaws with her character in anything we've been shown during trailers and leaks.

The Hero's Journey goes like this
1. The Call to Adventure
2. Refusal of the Call
3. Supernatural Aid
4. Crossing the Threshold
5. Belly of the Whale
>>
6. The Road of Trials
7.approach to innermost cave
8. Ordeal
9. Reward
10. The road back

A lot of shit right? There are more steps but im only using the ones that apply to the first movie since thats what im basing Rey off of as well.

Luke legitimately went through all of these things, from the
>Call to Adventure by Obi Wan
>refusal when Luke says he cant since he has responsibility
>supernatural aid where Obi Wan scares the tuskens
>crossing the threshold when the farm burns down from Stormtropers
>Belly of the whale in the Death Star
>road of trials on the death star escape where he watches obi wan die
>Approach to innermost cave on the Death Star assault
>Ordeal where Vader is killing all his squadmates and is about to kill him
>reward where han saves the day and luke blows up the death star
>and the road back where everyone reunites now that the day is saved
>>
Now paraphrasing what happens to rey but it mostly goes like this

>finds bb8
>finds finn
>jumpstarts the falcon and flies it away with finn blasting tie fighters
>escapes the ties
>gets picked up by han
>goes to a planet
>get accosted by gang
>rey fights them hand to hand and with staff
>escapes gang
>little yoda thing has the lightsaber
>gives it to rey
>kylo comes, beats everyone up and takes rey
>tries to read her mind but rey turns it back on him a la harry potter and severus snape
>escapes
>fights kylo on the planet after han dies
>defeats him and escapes
>brings luke the lightsaber

So, absolutely nothing in that sequence has anything to do with the hero's journey. Rey doesnt grow except when she decides its right for her to use the force and battle kylo.

Rey offers nothing, shes bland, mary sueish, and is way too far into the Strong Woman archetype.

I do not believe that these movies will be good, i think the direction they went in is shit. I also believe taking out what made star wars great (the heros journey/monomyth) is incredibly passe and fucking idiotic. Especially when the prequels actually went really damn medieval with their interpretation of the monomyth (the older monomyth has the temptation of woman and meeting with the goddess right where anakin meets padme.

All in all Rey fucking sucks as a character and is yet another boring stereotypical strong woman Mary Sue character that has no character progression in the movie and for the forseeable future.
>>
Luke was an idiot though.
>>
>>63893625
>>>/co/mblr
>>
HAHA HELLO REDDIT
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.