[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Am I the only one that was triggered that they retconned tie
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 120
Thread images: 9
File: 4234246.jpg (18 KB, 800x332) Image search: [Google]
4234246.jpg
18 KB, 800x332
Am I the only one that was triggered that they retconned tie fighters into being two man fighters with a pilot and a gunner?
>>
>>63892752
It's not a "retcon" it's an entirely new model of TIE fighter
>>
It isnt a retcon, its a new model. Nothing wrong with that.
>>
>>63892752
30 years go by and they can't improve on the design of the damn things?
>>
>>63892752
do you need a safe space?
>>
>>63892752
How is a new model od an older design a retcon?
>>
>>63892752
what's wrong with them using a new model of fighter after 30 fucking years have passed? there are 2 seat versions of russian fighter jets that usually have one seat too
>>
>>63892752
YES
>>
They're blatantly new models. It has been like 30 years since the fall of the empire.
>>
>>63892752
>retcon

So you dont actually know what that word means, huh?
>>
>>63892752
How did that even make sense? Why would you have two people in a back to back fashion when your cannons are forward facing and could just give the gun controls to the pilot?

That and the random swivel gun on the X-wing.
>>
The real question is...why make them two man?
>>
So you're saying nobody can't upgrade shit in star wars?
>>
The TIE fighter sound makes my dick erect

the sound the Falcon's blasters made when firing made me actually leak some cum from my dick

man this movie sounded great
>>
>>63892899
>That and the random swivel gun on the X-wing.
Don't even get me started on the purpose of that gun.
>>
I was mad at

>Boyega: We need to get out of the system now!
>Stormtrooper doesn't know that TIEs don't have hyperdrives and that they're stuck
>>
>>63892944

So one can concentrate on flying and one can concentrate on shooting. It's like those ads that say don't text while driving or you'll die. Your reactions are better when you're focused on one thing.
>>
>>63892944

So they can shoot backwards? Actually makes a lot of sense desu senpai
>>
>>63892852
The most common military aircraft in use in the real world are 30+ years old. It's a fucking retcon, motherfuckers. Fuck you, none of you know shit.
>>
>>63893009
>le new model meme defense

I wouldn't be surprised if they had hyperdrives.

Question...where were the Interceptors?
>>
>>63893069
Where were the bombers on Jakku? Why send fighters to bomb when you have FUCKING TIE BOMBERS.
>>
>>63892752
>30+ years to develop new configurations
>calling it a retcon
>>
why does it even need pilots at all? why not make the entire tie fighter a big flying droid with lasers?
>>
>>63893063
>The most common military aircraft in use in the real world are 30+ years old

>so these fictional spaceships are the same fictional spaceships as the old fictional spaceships

>despite looking different

>and being different

In 30 years they went from 6-legged AT-TEs to 4-legged AT-ATs, they can't add a second chair to a fighter?

The armour's different too, is that a retcon?
>>
>>63893110
>>63893069
Newfags only know TIEs and X-Wings so only those appeared.
And the recolored edgy Imperial shuttle
>>
>>63892948
>take perfectly fine one man layout
>make it 2 for no reason so you can lose double the personnel

It literally made no sense. I'm 100% sure JJ just needed a device to get Finn and Poe off on the same ship and couldn't feasibly have them steal a shuttle so they retconned TIE fighters into 2 man.
>>
>>63892752
Are you just dumb? They clearly are new models. Original TIEs also didn't have life support meaning they required a suit, these do not. They're clearly upgraded versions.
>>
>>63893209
There was no swivel action on the TIE. The cannons were forward facing. There was literally no reason to make them 2 man besides needing a ship to get both characters off the star destroyer.
>>
File: prepare to die.jpg (113 KB, 1000x624) Image search: [Google]
prepare to die.jpg
113 KB, 1000x624
>>63892752

>retconned
>movie takes place in the future
>retconned
>>
OP is dumb, but TFA did lack in ship diversity. Didn't need as many as prequels, just a handful per faction like in OT.
>>
>>63893237
>perfectly fine
>Empire constantly lost space battles
>TIES not perfectly fine
>>
>>63893317
There was at least some gun swivel on TIEs. The new models had an aiming device similar to the Falcon, and Vaders TIE very clearly swiveled in the originals trench run. Still no reason to make it a two man however unless they were for long range flights... and these do seem hyperspace capable.
>>
>>63893317

http://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2015/07/images-of-tie-fighter-toy.html

Clearly has multiple swivel guns, which are superior to fixed guns but require an additional crewmember
>>
>>63893522
Pretty sure only the "special forces" TIE fighters with the red paint have two seats. The normal tie fighters pursuing the falcon didn't have the swivel cannon if I'm not mistaken.
>>
>>63893612

But we're not talking about the standard TIEs. We're talking about the two-seaters. Swivels don't make sense for standard TIEs because if you're flying one way but shooting another you're likely going to crash and die. You need a second person to be looking in other directions and shooting.
>>
>>63893709
i bet aliens with two heads like that announcer from phantom menace can fly a one seater with swivel guns
>>
It can still be flown one-man like a classic tie fighter, the gunner is just there for 180 shooting, which is pretty genius considering how flimsy ties are
>>
I'm offended on how the Resistance only has a few X-wings

In Yavin IV there were like dozens of them
>>
This has to be a bait thread.

Has it not occurred to you that they learned from the deficiencies of the original TIE Fighter design and built a ship with a rear gunner, decent shields and hyper space capability?

The new TIE is bulkier overall and seems allot more capable. It is now more of a match for the X-Wing.

You could also argue this is because the First Order doesnt have the resources of the old empire and cant afford to span hundreds of cheap fighters in every engagement so they needed something with more punch.
>>
>>63893774
After playing the new Battlefront, the thing they need to fix in TIE design is th god damn surface area of the wings. Literally everything should be interceptor style by now... classic is way too fuckhuge a target to be practical.
>>
>>63893760
depends how many arms they have as far as I can see
>>
>>63893782
Their fleet apparently got destroyed in dock by the starkiller base. Although that is really convenient.
>>
You guys are so lost in fucking fantasy shit written by people who have no idea about the military hardware development cycle that you think that 30 years is enough time to radically change and roll out a completely new vehicle. Fuck you. Seriously, fuck all of you. You don't know shit and you never will. It's a fucking retcon according to the laws of physics.
>>
>>63893876
I agree, but noooooo, hackbrams only wants iconic x-wing vs iconic tie fighters for plebes who only know star wars from marketing material

Interceptors were INVENTED to deal with x-wings, who could easily outmaneuver standard ties
>>
>>63893010
its faster than an X wing now so they need a tail gunner to shoot the X wing they just blew past.
>>
>>63893876
>new Battlefront
Puking loli.png
>>
>>63893936

Are you high? It's obviously a new model.

JUST. LOOK. AT. IT
>>
>>63893904
Even if Yavin IV got rekt there were still scores of X-wings coming from Dantooine

In the OT they explicitly say that they were producing scores of X and Y wings en masse from Sullust and Admiral Ackbar's caravan
>>
>>63893782

>First order can afford to turn an entire planet into a big gun that uses entire suns for ammo

>Resistance has secret Republic backing

>entire republic is just one system

It's pretty clear who has economic superiority

It makes sense, at the end of ROTJ the empire was still there, it still existed as a vast infrastructure with almost unlimited resources.
>>
>>63893936
They built death star 3 pretty fast
>>
>>63893965
Its alright for mindless shootan. Almost certainly has more content than TFA too
>>
>>63893214
>New Order take Sheev's shuttle
>we gotta make it more edgy.
>paints it black, cuts off top wing. Look the guns are small. Put huge guns on remaining wing roots.
>we fixed it guys, now its cool enough for Kylo to use.
>>
File: 1403750775825.jpg (77 KB, 750x563) Image search: [Google]
1403750775825.jpg
77 KB, 750x563
>>63893063
>It's a fucking retcon, motherfuckers. Fuck you, none of you know shit.

You are retarded, it's a new ship called the TIE/fo. the old one is the TIE/LN.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/TIE/LN_starfighter

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/TIE/fo_space_superiority_fighter

Google is hard, innit?
>>
>>63894041
The book said it has shields and AWACS on the wings,the old shuttle had that too?
>>
At least TIE/FO looks like an improvement of the TIE, TIE/in

Lack of superior interceptor's panels tho
>>
>>63894062
30 years is not enough time to roll out an entirely new military platform even with the most advanced technological procedures you dumb, shallow-knowledge, Googling millenial fuck.

Hurr durr Google is hard innit. Jesus Christ the world is doomed. I bet you have no idea how PageRank is manipulated and you probably trust Wikipedia, too. Mouthbreathing millenial morons are going to kill this planet.
>>
>>63894277
>30 years is not enough time to roll out an entirely new military platform

Why not?

How do new vehicles get brought into service?

Do you know how long the old TIEs were in use for? They weren't brand new in ANH.
>>
>>63894277
His whole point is that it happens in canon real life be damned you retarded fuck.
Nice try at deflecting the argument though.
>>
File: XWFAZetaCards[1].jpg (2 MB, 3223x2234) Image search: [Google]
XWFAZetaCards[1].jpg
2 MB, 3223x2234
>>63894277
>30 years is not enough time to roll out an entirely new military platform even with the most advanced technological procedures you dumb, shallow-knowledge, Googling millenial fuck.

it's a fucking fantasy movie you dumb nerd. besides, the empire was fuckhuge and had shit loads of resources.

it's a new ship. it has different weapons and shields. it reflects this in the offical x-wing tabletop game.

dealwithit
>>
>>63894277
lol
millenial
>>
>>63892752
It's
>Special Forces The First Order TIE-Fighter.

Not retconned, just a different iteration of the same ship.
>>
>>63894277
>"I read something somewhere one time and I'm going to stick with it"
>>
>>63892752
>special forces tie fighter 30 years into the future
It would be weird if they hadnt been changed.
>>
>>63894277
>30 years is not enough time to roll out an entirely new military platform even with the most advanced technological procedures you dumb, shallow-knowledge, Googling millenial fuck

>Literally any EU, game, or book has variant models out the ass.

The fact that you're even questioning this in ToyWars(TM), is laughable.
>>
>original TIEs can only shoot forward
>pilot has to pay attention to flying and shooting at once
>redesign it so there's a gunner
>pilot can now focus on flying while gunner shots
I don't see the problem with this.
>>
>>63894277
>30 years is not enough time to roll out an entirely new military platform

Hueys debuted in 1956. They were replaced by Black Hawks in 79. That's only 23 years. And that's not even considering that there's a world of difference between Hueys and the Cobra-Hueys brought out in 65.
>>
>>63893936
>a futuristic space military capable of flying to other systems across the galaxy at will works the same way a modern military does

how do you explain tie interceptors and bombers just showing up in episode 5 and 6 after only a few years
>>
>>63893984
the republic wasn't just in that system, if you paid attention during the movie you would remember Leia saying that they destroyed the Hosnian system, not the republic
>>
>>63892752

No because it was the only new thing in the movie
>>
>>63894914

Didn't Huxley say they were going to wipe out the Republic?
>>
>>63895024
Yeah but not with that one attack, that was just the first step

it was like an inspirational speech or something
because that was the first time they had used the new weapon
>>
>>63894798
>gunner is facing behind
>guns facing forward
>I don't see a problem with this

okay
>>
File: TIE3.jpg (493 KB, 1500x1447) Image search: [Google]
TIE3.jpg
493 KB, 1500x1447
>>63895289

>TIEs have fixed guns

not these TIEs
>>
>>63892752
You think they'd fly the same shit for thirty years, anon?

>>63893009
I'm more mad about >stormtrooper didn't realise that there's a tether on the TIEs
>>
The empire had an ocean of people and ships to throw away.
The first order had limited people and limited resources.

Therefore, the first order modified tie fighters to have a slightly longer operative life instead of simply being swarm fighters.
>>
>>63893984
The Starkiller destroyed the Hosnian system, not the entire Republic.

The First Order runs at least part of the galaxy.

The Republic is funding the Resistance as part of a cold war instead of an all out conflict between the First Order and New Republic.
>>
>>63895446
He was a stormtrooper, not a pilot.
>>
>>63895564
30 years is not enough time to modify a fleet of TIE fighters. None of you have any clue about military realities.
>>
>>63895604
Fair enough anon.
>>
File: image.jpg (29 KB, 485x303) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29 KB, 485x303
>>63893214
>sending x-wings on a bombing run

This pissed me off B-wings for life.
>>
>>63895631
So you personally have detailed knowledge of the exact logistical requirements of the modification of fictional craft with fictional machines?
>>
>>63895665

They live in hills like hobbits anon

maybe X-wings is all they have
>>
>>63895631
holy fuck george lucas posts on 4chan
>>
>>63893709
>If you're flying one way and shooting another you're likely going to crash and die

I guess that would be true in the context of star wars, as everyone uses guns for air-to-air, and focusing on firing at the target would distract you, but with missiles, you can do this kind of thing, as in real life, modern jets' HUDs are sometimes built into the pilot's helmet, and they can get lock on to whatever they're looking at, and look away the second they pull the trigger.
>>
>>63892752
i have many gripes with TFA but this has to be the most retarded one. its fucking smart to have tie fighters with a backward facing laser cannon and im sure the imperials tweaked the design because theyre not the Empire anymore they are a fringe group and cant waste resources on cheap tie fighters that they can throw out in billions like they used to oh god dammit my point is ruined by lol starkiller base fuck this movie
>>
>>63892827
Yes, and? Major airforces around the globe are still using aircraft from the fucking 50s like the TU-95 and B-52 Stratofortress
>>
there were two models of TIE in the movie you morons

http://www.starwars.com/databank/first-order-tie-fighter

http://www.starwars.com/databank/first-order-special-forces-tie-fighter
>>
>>63895954
Your dad is a fucking dickhead.
>>
>>63895985
yeah he his
>>
>>63895665
>Best Wings
>>
Cries about TIE fighters
Doesn't mention anything about X-wing turret gun
>>
>>63896016
>Brown Wings
>>
File: VF-143.jpg (33 KB, 600x420) Image search: [Google]
VF-143.jpg
33 KB, 600x420
>>63894277
>>
>>63892890

There is a 90% chance anyone here using the words "retcon", "plot hole", "mary sue" or "forced" don't know what the correct useage is.
>>
>>63896079

Again.

It's a new model X-Wing. Look at the engines too, they have been upgraded.
>>
>>63894277
>Star Wars is real life
Stop being autistic
>>
>>63895874
I'm not sure but I think Star wars doesn't happen in modern times. Also you might be inbred, start asking your mom questions.
>>
>>63895289

7/10 for getting me to respond to your stupid as fuck comment on an already stupid topic. The actual position of any crew member using a computer-aided/controlled system is irrelevant. In this specific case, it's a super-maneuverable ship that is literally a sphere, where the guns are predominantly facing is meaningless.

Also...what would be the better facing for the gunner? Same problems either way.
>>
Are there any buzz Droids in the movie? They were pretty badass.
>>
>>63896079
>can't into greentext
Hey reddit
>>
>>63896278
>my argument has been blown to pieces

We know son, we know.
>>
>>63896313
Unfortunately not, Buzz Droids are getting a movie of their own in 2019 though in Star Wars Origins: Nute Gunray
>>
>>63893063
>>63893936
>>63894277
>>63895631
>30 years is not enough time to roll out an entirely new military platform even with the most advanced technological procedures you dumb, shallow-knowledge, Googling millenial fuck.
>30 years is not enough time to modify a fleet of TIE fighters. None of you have any clue about military realities.

The request for proposals for the new USAF fighter was given in 1986. The resulting aircraft, the F22A Raptor, entered service 19 years later, in 2005.
Only 19 years.

JSF program competition started in 1996.
F35 entered service for the first time this year.
19 years later.
DD21 destroyer program started in 2001
USS Zumwalt completed, scheduled to enter service next year.
15 years later.
>>
>>63896386
Why so vexed?
>>
Having manually-aimed guns controlled by a gunner shits on accuracy though. You'll spend so much time reacting to your pilot's maneuvers that you can't focus on leading a target. There's a reason IRL fighters moved from separately aimed guns to fixed frontal armament until guided/seeking missiles became available. Obivously it's not a retcon and OP's a faggot but I'm not sure the new design actually makes more sense.
>>
I was more triggered by:

- TIE fighters in atmosphere
- TIE fighters with WHITE solar arrays. Because that makes TOTAL SENSE.
>>
>>63896664
It's almost sci fi haha
>>
>>63896216
Oh, it doesn't bother me... I just think its funny that OP made a thread about such a minor adjustment compared to a rather large one on the Xwing
>>
>>63896664

They're radiators, for cooling. Radiation is the only way to cool in space.
>>
>>63896664
>TIE fighters in atmosphere

There's no reason why they wouldn't be atmosphere-capable.
>>
>>63892752
>Retconned
>New model of TIE Fighter
>When the old type of one-seater model is still clearly used and seen in the film.
>This triggers you

Are you actually autistic?
>>
>>63896873
Lack of a decent lifting surface. Their crazy high stall speed would make them terrible dogfighters.
>>
>>63896971
>Lack of a decent lifting surface.
Seriously? They have anti gravity repulsors. How do you think Luke's speeder stayed in the air?
>>
>>63892799

this
>>
>>63893214
>Newfags only know TIEs and X-Wings so only those appeared.

Bingo even though a Tie Bomber was in the first movie we can't have them it would confuse people.
>>
File: Ywing.jpg (102 KB, 700x550) Image search: [Google]
Ywing.jpg
102 KB, 700x550
>>63895665
> Pshhh what about not having Y-Wings on a Bombing mission?? It's basically what they are built for while B-Wings are for a powerful laser punch

I will say that for some reason I LOVE the Y-Wing. I have no idea why. I was really disappointed when there was none in the film. Plus no A-Wings or B-Wings

Just a X-Wing love fest
>>
>>63899139
Y-wings and A wings are both nearly clone war era tech the rebels were forced to use due to lack of alternatives

no excuse for no B-Wings on a bomb run though
>>
>>63899139
because the x wings are much more widely recognised
same reason you had tie fighters and not tie interceptors
honestly I think this film was nothing more than a product sold to us by Disney
hopefully the next films will actually have some room to breathe now that Disney has established this new trilogy
>>
>>63892752
>reconned
>changed their design after 30 years

hmmmmm
>>
File: download (1).jpg (6 KB, 271x186) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
6 KB, 271x186
>>63899307
Yeah and I MIGHT be mistaken ive only seen the film once but I didn't see any TIE Bombers either.

I understand that Disney had a lot riding on this hence very limited scope on the expanded universe BUT seeing other types of TIE and Rebel ships just added to the universe

Hopefully Disney will calm the fuck down and let Rian Johnson off the reins a bit but I doubt it
Thread replies: 120
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.