[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>defeats a Sith/Dark Jedi who's been training for at
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 174
Thread images: 15
>defeats a Sith/Dark Jedi who's been training for at least a decade when she just learned the force was real yesterday lol

So Mary Sue has her own franchise now?
>>
>>63877880
>Dark Jedi is an insecure little bitch who wasn't thinking straight, and who also just took a fuckhueg laser bolt to the chest not two minutes before
>>
>>63877880
How can you like luke then? He does a lot of the same shit
>>
>>63877931
Luke doesn't win a fight till the last movie...
>>
>>63877931

Rey is not a Mary Sue but I do think that Luke's flaws had more consequences in the actual events of the movie than Rey's did, so her obligatory Protagonist Plot Powers are a little more obtrusive.
>>
>>63877931
There is a 3 year gap between each of the OT movies. Also, Luke was trained by Obi-Wan and Yoda, the two most powerful Jedi ever. And also was the son of Anakin
>>
She fought off scavengers, thieves, mercenaries, thugs, hoodlums, and who knows what the fuck else lived in the desert dunes for the better part of a decade using a monk staff.

Faglord Ren slaughtered a bunch of untrained students.
>>
>>63877880

>Dark Jedi took a laser bolt to the fucking gut
>>
>>63877931
luke constantly needed obiwan to encourage him and his piloting skills came from actually owning and using a flying vehicle
he doesnt fight/use his lightsaber until after training with yoda

unlike miss perfect who would have been telling obiwan to go check his privilege and stop mansplaining things to her
>>
>>63877880
>defeats a Sith

Just...no. Ren isn't even close to being a Sith.
>>
>>63877880
It's supposed to be impressive that she can tap into the force like that, but the movie also makes a big deal about Ben being majorly incompetent and just flaunting his power without actually mastering it.
>>
>>63877994
>She fought off scavengers, thieves, mercenaries, thugs, hoodlums, and who knows what the fuck else lived in the desert dunes for the better part of a decade using a monk staff.
how do you know this

>>63877998
blasters mean nothing in this movie. Kylo also gets slashed in the face with a lightsaber and barely flinches
>>
>>63877880
kylo is a person tapped into the dark side of the person who can wield a light saber competently, but he is far from a sith.
>>
>>63878035
>his piloting skills came from actually owning and using a flying vehicle
And the Force.

Reaction time and reflexes being explicitly tied to the Force was behind Luke blowing up the Death Star, Anakin winning the pod race, and Rey taking out out four attackers by herself even before she touches Dad's saber.
>>
>>63877880
>person experienced and skilled in melee combat bests a person that mostly relies on Force powers
>>
>>63878220
>and rey piloting a large ship with an awkward cockpit position when shes never done it before weaving in and out of objects

if TFA was a video game, who ever was playing raw was replaying is for the 100th time on novice mode with all cheat codes turned on
>>
>>63878348
*rey
>>
>>63877931
The only explicit usage of the Force Luke has in the first movie is letting it guide him while firing weapons blind. He was also shown training to fight blind on the millenium falcon earlier in the film. That's a winning formula JJ: Show the power earned/trained in an inconsequential scene earlier so it isn't a complete asspull later that ruins all sense of dramatic tension.

In fact, pretty much every use of the force by Luke was foreshadowed by proper training, except maybe the light saber pull early on in ESB.
>>
>>63877994
This. Think Tasha Yar and rape gangs. How else did she survive?
>>
>>63877880
>>63877986
Rey HAS TO secretly be Luke's daughter or Kenobi's bastard granddaughter. She trained at the academy and was Jason Bourne memory wiped to keep her safe or some stupid shit.
>>
>>63878035
>>63878220
>>63878348

Shes been dissecting an Imperial naval fleet for a living since she was 10 and she loves it. She is basically an engineering student with as much knowledge as someone who works in the industry. And she wasn't very good at piloting at first - it was actually the fact that the Millenium Falcon handles like a dream.
>>
>>63877931
>gets fucked up by Sand people
>nearly gets fucked up at the bar on Tatooine
>nearly gets fucked up by garbage worm
>nearly gets fucked up by storm troopers
>nearly gets fucked up by Vader in a TIE fighter
>gets fucked up by a Wompa
>gets fucked up by Vader
>gets fucked up by the Emperorer
he screws up and has other people save his ass throughout the entire trilogy
>>
>>63878455

Anakin was a gearhead prodigy.
Luke was originally a fixer who got R2D2 working properly.
Rey is a gearhead addict and posts on the /k/ Holonet subboard.
She is definitely Luke's daughter.
>>
>>63877880
So is the new Star Wars literally Mary Sue: The Movie?
>>
>>63878480
>it was actually the fact that the Millenium Falcon handles like a dream

how convenient
>>
>>63877880
Dark Jedi never had a proper lightsaber fight.
>>
>>63878480
This.

And is probably the granddaughter of a guy who built C3-PO when he was 9.
>>
File: Rei_Ayanami_OP.png (155 KB, 360x274) Image search: [Google]
Rei_Ayanami_OP.png
155 KB, 360x274
jj chose wisely
>>
Except Kylo Ren was probably dealing with the fact that he just killed his father, there was definitely some internal conflict there, and it probably affected his concentration.

Not to mention he was shot/injured.

Not to mention it's pretty clear that he isn't some great prodigy, he was only chosen to be trained because there was literally nobody else to take as an apprentice for Snoke.

Rey winning the fight isn't that surprising, Kylo doesn't come off as being that great. The whole point of the character, I think, is that he ISNT good, and is trying to live up to Vader. Which was working for him when there were NO OTHER FORCE USERS to challenge him. It's like he was fighting an unfair fight his entire life, and suddenly there another person who has the advantage he gets from the force.

Think about this.
>>
>>63878605

The Millenium Falcon - a convenient plot device since 1977
>>
>>63877880
he was hit by a wookie bowcaster in the liver, I think that would have reduced his power level significantly, so she had to use super saiyan mary sue power to fight at his same level.

She IS a mary sue, but kylo is not as weak as you make it
>>
>>63877994
>Faglord Ren slaughtered a bunch of untrained students.
Was he chilling for the better part of his stay in the First Order?
>>
>>63878768
>Not to mention it's pretty clear that he isn't some great prodigy, he was only chosen to be trained because there was literally nobody else to take as an apprentice for Snoke.

that's retarded

>>Kylo doesn't come off as being that great.

except in the rest of the movie, in his implied backstory, and how he can fight with super saiyan rey despite his wound.

What is with this kylo negationism? He is psychologically weak and scared, but combat wise he was a beast
>>
>>63878768
If they dont make kylo win fights from here these new movies are not redeemable.
>>
>>63878455
desu senpai, im seeing this kind of post a lot lately. I don't think that''s the case. I really just think that this is a case of a poorly written Mary Sue.

She's such a Mary Sue that people are even saying shes actually a Jedi Master with her mind wiped? the Fuck?

thats how you know she's too much of a Mary Sue

>>63878480
>She is basically an engineering student
Not really. She's just a poorly written character
>>
>>63878768
He was doing pretty well, even toying with Finn, until that Force epiphany at the cliff. Despite the physical and psychological wounds.
>>
The real question is why Fin didnt get murdered instantly and actually could wield a lightsaber and fight Ren so well while never training with it. I can see Rey cause shes got the force and shit, but theres no reason fin should have even tried fighting Ren and last longer than 3 seconds
>>
>>63877931
Like got his ass handed to him multiple times through out the trilogy.
But in ANH he only got the wire attached to something to swing across and he blew up the Death Star.
>>
>>63878039

which is why he's a shitty villain
>>
What if the twist at the very end is that [spoilers]the Dark Side are the good guys
>>
>>63879079
There's a cgi trailer for a Tortanic (saw the old republic) expansion that has two twins fighting at the end, and one of them literally wrecks the other in 5 seconds flat when pissed. This is what it should have been like. Check it out, can't link because on iPad and can't be fucked
>>
>>63878768
> Kylo Ren was probably dealing with the fact
> probably affected his concentration.

in other words, you don't know. its not your fault. we dont know either. It's just the case of a poorly written character

>he was only chosen to be trained because there was literally nobody else to take as an apprentice for Snoke.
never implied anywhere in the movie

>The whole point of the character, I think, is that he ISNT good

this I agree with,, and it's very interesting. Kylo Ren shows remorse in some areas. He is not fully a part of the Dark Side.
>>
>>63877880
The cool thing about the force awakens is i now have my answer to what would it be like if stephanie meyer wrote a star wars script.
>>
>>63877880
can someone tell me how Han Solo can be so famous (Rey and Finn knew of him) and yet he's just like yep, I'm doing the smuggling thing again. Like imagine if like Barack Obama or Michael Jordan or idk the exact equivalent, but a person that everyone knows was your waiter at a restaurant. The debt collecters seem completely unphased. You figure he could just put it on the Republic's expense account or those collecters would make a bigger deal, just sat weird. right?
>>
>>63879151
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzq9epS2b1A

3 mins. Absolutely wrecked
>>
>>63877931
Luke trained for weeks with Yoda and still got his shit ruined by Vader. He gets raped worse than Finn did.

Rey was only trained by touching a lightsaber and having Han Solo tell her THAT'S NOT HOW THE FORCE WORKS and she handily defeats the guy who murdered all of Luke's Jedi apprentices.
>>
>>63879079

Finn is a trained stormtrooper. Hes just not very good at dueling and was winging it the entire time.
>>
>>63879035
>She's such a Mary Sue that people are even saying shes actually a Jedi Master with her mind wiped?

this

>>63879139
anon the empire/sith have always been the good guys
the jedi are a cult that tells people to be emotionless drones whilst the only thing the sith did wrong was that they arent part of the cult
>>
>>63878978
>The twist is Kylo is actually the protagonist and Rey is the one that needs to be defeated.
>>
>>63879079
lightsabers are still pretty fucking dangerous, man
they say that a complete rookie using a sword is more dangerous than an average swordsman, as the former is harder to predict
>>
Rey is Revan
>>
>>63879312
It was the will of the force.
>>
>>63879371
not canon
>>
>>63879370
A complete rookie would have a riposte in their throat on their first wild overhead slash. Calling bullshit
>>
>>63879416
Not in a literal sense, but she could be based off of Revan.
>>
>>63878590

Since when do kids have to be anything like their parents, especially if they weren't raised by them?

My dad is an executive at a major corporation, and I'm a 27 year old virgin slob. My beard smells like pizza grease.
>>
>>63879472

Yeah the Old Republic parts of the EU aren't canon anymore, but I think it's pretty obvious that SOMEONE on the writing team was a fan.
>>
>>63878758
Holy shit!!! They are both wooden as fuck!
>>
>>63879278
The galaxy is way bigger than all conflicts we've seen. Han could be the biggest deal super celebrity in one system, but when goes into a Hutt sector, for example, he's nothing but a cocky guy on someone else's turf.

Those seedy loan guys jusg don't care that Han helped fight an empire that they probably didn't even see on their side of space.
>>
>>63877880
I appreciate the fact that when Fin told her he was lying she wasn't angry at him for the next 20 minutes.
>>
>>63877880

She's trained for years in martial arts. That's enough to do well against a heavily wounded opponent.
>>
>>63879035
>She's such a Mary Sue that people are even saying shes actually a Jedi Master with her mind wiped? the Fuck?
Yes. Luke Skywalker, described by George Lucas as the strongest force user of all time (since Anakin never reached his potential) only used the force ONCE in a new hope, and that was after some minor training and it was a very minor use of the force (not using his targeting computer)

Then Rey, with no training, mind tricks a stormtrooper, resists Kylo Ren's mind rape, AND HOLDS HER FUCKING OWN AGAINST A TRAINED DARK JEDI IN A LIGHTSABER DUEL.

Yes, Ren was wounded and tired. But that doesn't excuse a TRAINED DARK FORCE USER, who happens to be the grandson of ANAKIN FUCKING SKYWALKER, LITERALLY THE CHOSEN ONE AND MOST FORCE POTENTIAL IN THE ENTIRE SERIES, losing to a girl who's never held a lightsaber OR USED THE FUCKING FORCE.
If she's literally that much of a Mary Sue than JJ was never a Star Wars fan and is instead a retarded kike. He may be bad but he's not that awful. She has to be a Skywalker, and even then she had to have had some training.
>>
>>63879290
>>63879151
>Babby's first WoW clone is used as evidence for a theory about the Star Wars canon
no.
>>
>>63879723
I mean that sorta makes sense, but Jakku is supposed to be a backwater and Rey despite being this orphan girl, and Finn, who has been raised from birth a trooper both know who he is. I guess if I was a loan shark I'd think to myself, yeah, Han Solo could probably pay me back, but why the heck is Han Solo even going back in the game. Idk, maybe this is why I'm not a space loan shark (among other reasons)
>>
>>63879811
You shouldnt have to make that excuse though. "She's actually a super strong Jedi with her mind wiped!" its a bad excuse
>>
>>63879956
maybe some sort of traumatic event happened or there was some weird reason to wipe her own mind

bad excuses, but better than her being badass for no reason
>>
>>63879448
Being skilled in the force doesn't make somone a good swordsman. They are two different skills. General Grievous, for example, could crush multiple jedi just by being superior at combat, and he has a much force sesitivity as a rock.

Also, Fin, as goofy as he is, is a stormtrooper. He has to know his way around a melee weapon just like any other soldier. For Fin, the lightsaber is a bit light and kinda dangerous to use compared to the usual trooper swords, but it's not something he's gonna just swing around like a tard.
>>
>>63879956
I'm not saying its good writing or that the movie or its characters were good.

I'm just saying LITERALLY this level of convoluted bullshit is the only way that would excuse her not getting murdered by an admittedly wounded Ren in a quarter of a second, let alone beating him.
>>
>>63879956
she is actually Revan from kotor
>>
>>63880059
Is grievous owning Jedi canon? He doesn't do it in the films and the clone wars 03 isn't canon anymore
>>
>>63878768
your reasoning is very good. the replies you got are some grade A dumbshits. its more then super clear he is a sith personified with the inner turmoil and insecurities which he attempts to turn into rage which the sith thinks helps overall. he was never the badass he tried to play off. just had lot of fancy toys and thats about it.
>>
>>63880102

No amnesia. There is literally no evidence for her being brainwashed because Kylo Ren doesn't recognize her.
>>
>>63878480

>it was actually the fact that the Millenium Falcon handles like a dream.

It fucking does not, it requires a co-pilot. She even states this while she proceeds to outmaneuver enemy fighters.
>>
>>63880142
he had to get his lightsabers from somewhere

Don't think Dooku sat there with him making them. And they weren't red like all sith sabers
>>
>>63880099
Unfortunately, I have to agree. It's about the only way they could redeem her character at this point. If they don't, she just becomes Bella of the Star Wars universe.
>>
>>63880320
Maybe he slaughtered some shitty panda wants and third tier Knights? Who knows, what we do know is he got his shit pushed in by kenobi
>>
Modern jedi really shouldn't be shit. They don't have access to the holocrons. They don't have any of the techniques worked out through millenia. They shouldn't be able to do bullshit magic pulled out of their asses.
>>
>>63880385
I love autocorrect. Padawans
>>
>>63880401
Shouldn't be shit is a poor choice of words. Shouldn't be good m8
>>
>>63880188
The only things that indicate it is that the lightsaber brought back flashbacks she didn't seem to previously recall and she was also able to understand Chewbacca despite being from the middle of nowhere.
>>
>>63880447
Sorry. I meant shit in the context of "they shouldn't be anything of notice, not even shit".
>>
>>63880142
I'm actually not sure what's canon any more. It's hard to separate the reasoning behind sending Obiwan after Grevious if we only take the movies into account. It could be an argument that he's still considered very dangerous as a solo fighter against normal jedi or it's just because he's the general of a droid army so they sent General Kenobi after him.
>>
>>63880460
but we saw her handed to the guy on the planet at like 4-5 years old

Not even the force in literal child form was able to use the force that quickly with all of the advantages of the jedi order at his disposal. It took a decade of consistent training to become competent.

I am not sure how anyone didn't bring up the problem with Rey using the force like this up in the script
>>
File: 1442942178791.jpg (78 KB, 434x437) Image search: [Google]
1442942178791.jpg
78 KB, 434x437
These anti-rei fags are ridiculous. Who was supposed to be my favorite new character?

>le epic funny black dude
>cool pilot who gets like 10 minutes of screentime and becomes a side character
>weird little alien bar owner
>pussy darth vader wannabe
>droid who failed to be what r2d2 was

you're not giving me too many options here. rei was cool and has a lot to learn, but like young anakin, is very naturally strong with the force
>>
File: TenelKa.png (1 MB, 664x900) Image search: [Google]
TenelKa.png
1 MB, 664x900
>>63877880
I wish she was Tenel Ka
>>
>>63880649
BB-8 is the best character.
>>
>>63878395
The lightsaber pull is just a basic use of the force though. By then we already know Luke has a basic understanding of the force.
>>
>>63880369
Ouch. Its true. Young adult adventure anyone?
>>
>>63880736
He lifted an xwing. There is no try. Only do, or do not. Luke did
>>
>>63880649
>rei
>he thinks it's spelled like his waifu
>>
>>63880649
She is nothing like anakin. Hell she is nothing like anyone we have ever used the force before. She literally does force related things from stories she may or may not heard as a child. Which should be fairly scarce given her planet and need to constantly search for parts to eat.

She learned to wield a lightsaber, use force persuasion, and force telekinesis because Han said it was real.

It took luke forever with yoda/obi wan to learn and Anakin just as long
>>
if they wanted a good female character they hada mara jade offered up on a plate for them

but fuck that right? they are cashing out star wars brand equity for social agenda. The God Emperor of Mankind is displeased and beckons you to a superior universe.
>>
>>63880649
>Who was supposed to be my favorite new character?

None
>>
>>63878600
Not really. There is a lot of that and the movie really shows what it could be when it's being original and not referencing the OT. There are some very good new characters like Poe, Finn, Hux, the minion at the bar castle, and Kylo. The problem is anytime Rey shares the screen with any of them it completely kills everything interesting with other characters.
>>
>>63880059
>trooper swords

>trooper swords

Fuck jj
>>
>>63877880
He was trained in the arts of the force as a child. Luke then wiped her mind and once she touches his lightsaber the force reawakens in her
>>
>>63880059
The reason Grievous could use the Lightsabers was because his computing allowed him superhuman calculations that jedi/sith use the force for.

Finn and other untrained force users should instantly be wrecked by anyone with any sort of force + lightsaber training.

It would be like what happened to luke vs vader. You can't just pick it up and fight with it. No matter what melee weapons you have used before. It's a entirely different beast.

Well unless you are Rey of course.
>>
>>63880649
Anakin didn't get instantly proficient with the Force, he gets the same thing as Luke, extraordinary luck (landing in the mothership, accidentally shooting missiles at the core, managing to fly away)

He doesn't get magical force pull and force mind trick by hearing the word force
>>
Anyone know if they filmed sequel stuff during the filming for tfa? might explain why no one questioned Reys pulling the force outta her ass, as observers would know what happens in sequels where the inevitable mind wipe is revealed
>>
>>63881159
Tbh they really should have filmed sequel stuff, as Harrison ford could easily die before 2020
>>
>>63880643
But how did she understand Chewbacca?
>>
>>63881340
mary sue
>>
>>63881377
not even Disney can make a character that shallow
>>
>>63881041

Get a foot long steel ingot and attach a metre long foam stick to it. Instant light sabre training tool.
>>
>>63881200

Yeah when they made the Lord of the Rings movies, they basically shot everything back-to-back for the trilogy. I'm surprised they didn't do something like that. Maybe Disney wants to see the public response and how much dosh they make before figuring out how to do the sequels.
>>
>>63881340
The only time someone doesn't understand chewie is when they use it as a gag for "Don't upset a wookie."
>>
File: 1328490436665.jpg (37 KB, 308x291) Image search: [Google]
1328490436665.jpg
37 KB, 308x291
>>63877880
>being this retarded

Kylo Ren was jobbing to her so she would let out her anger and turn to the Dark Side like Vader did to Luke.

She would have kept fighting until she killed him if the Starkiller didn;t start to implode

She let her hate and anger take over. Just what Kylo wanted
>>
And who is ren fighting against to sharpen his skill? He just uses that light saber to butcher people, at least the girl has some fighting skill with that staff
>>
File: its treason then.gif (107 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
its treason then.gif
107 KB, 300x300
>>63881606
>And who is ren fighting against to sharpen his skill?
Pic related
>>
>>63881606
Luke?
Snoke?
Imperial fencing instructors?
>>
>>63881606
Knights of Ren?
>>
>>63881606
how do people keep trying to equate a bo staff to a light saber
>>
File: 1368998571147.jpg (94 KB, 615x818) Image search: [Google]
1368998571147.jpg
94 KB, 615x818
Next Movie

>Kylo Ren redeems himself and turns to the light side.
>Ren turns to the dark side after the feelings the rush power from the force and victory over defeating a powerful opponent.

Watch.
>>
>>63881737

Rey...
>>
>>63881732
Desperate to defend their sue waifu
>>
>>63881737
>kill your father
>redeemed
>>
>>63877977
>Rey is not a Mary Sue

dank meme, reddit
>>
>>63881737
>Luke throws her down a space well screaming NOOOOOOOoooo
>>
>>63877880
staff saber is a bad idea
>>
>>63881793

>implying that isn't motivation to turn your life around
>>
>>63881676
He's not traind with Luke in years for all we know he was still to young to train with a saber before he turned and that's why he had to make a crappy one of his own

And snoke lmao did you even see the movie, he literally said its time to finish his training.. Han even said he's just using you and will got rid of you when he doesn't need you anymore, so it would make sense to get him powerful enough to kill for him but not kill him like EVERY other sith/dark Jedi before him
>>
>>63881732
Again, it would be piss easy to train to use a lightsabre. Just make a heavy hilt with an almost weightless 'blade' of foam or some weightless spacemetal and train with that. Theexcuse given for why it's so hard is the weightless blade.. Well that's a bullshit non reason due to the solution outline above. Still, I would have preferred ren killing Finn in 3 seconds flat
>>
>>63878600
>So is the new Star Wars literally Mary Sue: The Movie?

Basically, lots of shitty chase sequences punctuated by Rey being a demigod at literally every concievable task.
>>
>>63877931
Imagine if Luke fought Darth Vader in Episode 4 and won.

Yeah.
>>
>>63881829
>No, I am your daughter.
>>
>>63877958
Right he's just a better pilot than all the rebels that have actually flown combat missions before and uses the force to outperform a computer.
>>
>>63877880
Valid criticism but can we just appreciate her calves? fuck I'd lick those over.
>>
>>63877977
even the feminist blogs call her a mary sue

it's just they try and write it off as a good thing
https://twitter.com/TashaRobinson/status/678312190403678209
>>
>>63878094
>how do you know this

umm because we watched it happen? Doesn't seem like much of a stretch to me at all
>>
>>63881793
>implying han is dead
>implying boba fett hired by lando calrissian to track han wasn't at the bottom of that hole and flew him to safety
>>
>>63881908
I didn't say you can't simulate lightsaber training without one

The point is that she had none. A staff is completely different. Especially picking one up and heading straight into a battle. You would instinctually try to use moves you picked up while staff fighting. You should already be at the disadvantage. Ren should have completely fucked her over.

It's embarrassing.
>>
>>63882078
Didn't you see the after credits scene?
>If anyone's going to take you down solo
>It's going to be me
>>
>>63881570
This is what I believed as well. You could almost picture Sheev watching it saying
"Good, good"
>>
>>63877931
Luke is saved 6 times in the first movie.
Rey saves everyone by herself in the new movie.
>>
>>63877986
No there isn't. There is a 3 year timeskip between ANH and TESB and a 1 year timeskip between TESB and RoTJ.

Luke is 19 in ANH and 23 by RoTJ.
Anakin is 10 in TPM and 23 by RoTS.
>>
File: 1394659651196.jpg (128 KB, 565x860) Image search: [Google]
1394659651196.jpg
128 KB, 565x860
>>63877931
A New Hope:
- gets knocked out and stunned by a Tusken Raider until Obi-Wan scares it off
- gets nearly killed by two spacers at the Mos Eisely Cantina until Obi-Wan slices one of the dudes arms off
- Luke is rescued along with Han, Leia, and Chewie in the Death Star trash compactor by Artoo
- Luke is rescued by Wedge or Biggs during the Battle of Yavin over the Death Star when a Tie nearly shoots him down
- Luke's best friend Biggs has to sacrifice himself as a shield for Luke to protect him from Vader and his wingmen
- Luke is nearly killed before he can destroy the Death Star in trench run until Han's last minute return and intervention

Now compare that to Rey who:

- beats up two hired thugs without trying despite being jumped and surprise attacked from behind
- constantly saves Finn on Jakku despite him being a combat-trained Stormtrooper his whole life in the New Order since he was a baby
- saves Finn again on Han's freighter/cargo ship when the alien cargo escapes and nearly eats him
- learns to use the Force when just TOUCHING Anakin Skywalker's lightsaber
- saves herself using a fucking Jedi Mind Trick on a Stormtrooper sentry
- reversed a telepathic mind-probe from Kylo Ren and read his memories and thoughts
- broke out of her holding cell and restraints and escaped on her own without any issue
- utilized TK despite only hearing about the Force from a day earlier from Maz
- overpowered Kylo Ren in a duel by using Force Mediation despite not being taught that or having any lightsaber training at all

How do you compare Luke to Rey?
>>
>>63882841
Because

Rey has been trained in the ways of the Force and Jedi before being dropped off at Jakku
>>
>>63883189
Nice bullshit, JJ.
>>
>>63880959
It thought the same thing.
But then I liked it.
>>
>>63882841
Isn't this guy Jaina's husbando?
>>
How she preformed in the lightsaber duel was all right. Wounding and whatnot had been pre-established. But the other stuff whas a bit much: fighting off four dudes, immediately knowing the wiring of any device, immediately a powerful force-user...

Poor writing, but nothing unforgivable. Put in a foreshadowing shot and it's fixed (have her get more money from the scrap dealer through mind control or something).
>>
>>63878395
You mean how she beat kylo in a force mind battle when she was being tortured by him? At first she wasn't able to resist him, then she blocked him and saw his fears. So ya we saw her use the force earlier in the movie just like you wanted. If anything kyle is the one that fucked up and accidentally furthered he force training.
>>
File: B3-9LHLCQAAR-oZ.jpg (45 KB, 600x857) Image search: [Google]
B3-9LHLCQAAR-oZ.jpg
45 KB, 600x857
>Apparently was snatched as child
>Doesn't even know his real name and only has a tag code given to him.
>Grew up and trained in the Empire his entire life. This is all he knows.
>Somehow acts like he isn't accustomed to the killing and rounding up rebels, like he is JUST doing this.
>Apparently this is the "best" soldier in the Empire. THIS is what the Empire has to offer.

Why?
>>
>>63883586
That's his son, Jagged Fel. The guy I posted is Baron Soontir Fel, Wedge's rival and the guy who married his older sister.
>>
>>63883668
>Empire
>>
>>63883771
Empire/Order

Stop being a nitpicking autist.
>>
>>63877880
Any faggot villain who cries about shit isn't getting my sympathy.
>>
>>63883748
>Wedge is a cuck

Wew lad
>>
File: Clone Trooper.jpg (204 KB, 582x648) Image search: [Google]
Clone Trooper.jpg
204 KB, 582x648
Remember when the Empire was portrayed as efficient cool-headed administrators, military officers, and political leaders who want to crush the Rebellion because they represent anarchy and chaos?

But now JJ gives us the First Order who are the Empire's direct successors but the only way he can portray that is with blatant Nazi parallels? Fuck this black and white morality bullshit.
>>
>>63883668
TR-8-R was the best soldier in the empire
>>
File: zKvea.jpg (27 KB, 313x334) Image search: [Google]
zKvea.jpg
27 KB, 313x334
>>63883668
They explicitly state that Jakku was his first mission, and nowhere do they say he is the best soldier in the empire. He worked in sanitation for christsake.

4/10 made me reply.
>>
>>63883870
Wedge is a cuck for his older sister marrying his rival?
>>
TR-33504
>>
File: female leads.jpg (579 KB, 1736x600) Image search: [Google]
female leads.jpg
579 KB, 1736x600
ok /tv/ help me out here I'm trying to understand you
can you tell me which of these characters in pic related are
>Mary Sues
>Penis Envious
>Done Right
>forced
>eye candy
or
>written like a man then changed to female last second
>>
>>63884147
Go to bed JJ.
>>
>>63884147
All are Mary Sues apart from Furiosa who is Penis Envious.
>>
>>63884147
Korra is done right
>>
>>63884147
>Lightning
Mary Sue
>Rey
Mary Sue
>Furiosa
Not Mary Sue
>Kill Bill (Shit I forgot her name)
Not Mary Sue
>Resident Evil Lady
The biggest Mary Sue on that list
>Korra
Not a Mary Sue but an unlikable dumb bitch who ruined everything
>>
>>63877977
>Just bypass the warp drive!!! XDD
>>
>>63884279
Milla is eye candy she knows men watch her just to jump around
>>
>>63879393
>It was the will of the force

>God works in mysterious ways

End yourself
>>
>>63877880
>kylo ren: little bitch, listens to my chemical romance all day bc LEAVE ME ALONE DAD
>Rey: She's into pink floyd and the stones, likes a bit of indie, doesn't give two fucks because she already has nothing to lose. Also, she top cutie.

/thread
>>
>>63884244
Ok so basically if there is a female lead in an action movie
They're Mary Sues? what if there was carbon copy male counterparts to these characters then would they all be mary sues or gary stews I don't know the term
because I feel you would all say different and just acknowledge them as characters
>>
>>63884147
>Lightning
NO ASS
>Rey
Mary Sue
>Furiosa
No
>Beatrix Kiddo
No
>Alice
Survives one encounter in a mansion, SUDDENLY becomes the biggest fucking badass killing machine and a nightmare for zombies. Biggest Mary Sue of them all.
>Korra
How can she be a Mary Sue if we're told that she is the strongest force in the Universe. She has a shit personality though.
>>
>>63880770
It was Yoda that lifted the X-Wing
>>
>>63884279
>>63884537
So korra would not be considered one since viewers see her more as a vessel for what is the real main character the power inside
that's interesting
>>
>>63877931

He lost every single fight he was ever in!
>>
File: 1319314495973.png (2 KB, 111x107) Image search: [Google]
1319314495973.png
2 KB, 111x107
>>63884147
left to right
>Eye Candy (mostly)
>Mary Sue
>Done Right
>Done Right
>Eye Candy/Shitty Mary Sue
>Ehhh she's the Avatar so you can't really use the Mary Sue argument and she was FAR from fucking perfect and fucked up a ton and lost half the fights she was in, ended up catatonic crying in a wheelchair. I did not like LoK but as a character she's better written than most of the others here, she was at least flawed and had an arc and believable emotions and motivations. She was just annoying and made bad decisions.
>>
>>63884777
Luke is actually the damsel in distress, he almost always needs someone to rescue him.
>>
>>63877880
>One female main character
>One
>Neckbeards scream "muh feminism" just because she isn't completely useless
I can't believe you guys get triggered by a girl using a wrench. What you wanted her to be a dumb princess being ferried around like Leia? Maybe captured and molested by space Bubba just like Leia again? I am hardcore /r9k/ and even I agree that sci-fi/action movies are generally sexist against women and when they try to equalize things the feminists are right about the fanbase getting hostile and blowing things out of proportion.
>>
Not sure it's a good or bad thing it was enjoyable despite having a shit hero and villain
>>
>>63877880
Get ready for 10 years of Her she's the next Lightning you're going to pay for her and you will like her even if we have to force you
>>
>>63885339

>Dumb princess getting ferried around

Didnt she kill a Stormtrooper during the storming of Tantive IV, resist the interrogation of the the ITO Droid on the Death Star, and get Han/Luke/Chewie out of the Detention Block when they were pinned down by Star Troopers?

Didn't she also kill the Space "Bubba" who molested her?
>>
Finn seemed pretty good with that lightsaber. Force sensitive?
Thread replies: 174
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.