[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Marvelization of the Star Wars universe/franchise.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 4
File: rstarwars.jpg (141 KB, 601x602) Image search: [Google]
rstarwars.jpg
141 KB, 601x602
>Star Wars: Deflecting blaster bolts.
>Marvel: Freezing blaster bolts in mid air.

>Star Wars: Droids are machines. If they're carrying secret plans, any technician can extract those plans.
>Marvel: Droids can place themselves in "low-power" mode and then you can't get any intel out of them until they magically come back (when the writer needs them to).

>Star Wars: Light sabers are tools or weapons. In Episode 4, Luke picks up his father's light saber, switches it on and... cool shiny blue energy weapon.
>Marvel: Rey touches Luke's light saber and gets a bunch of (magical) Luke-related force visions.

>Star Wars: The force involves training, requires an instructor, and takes time to develop.
>Marvel: The force is a super power that manifests in response to some traumatic event and transforms you in a dramatic instant--just when you really need it.

>Star Wars: "Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy! Without precise calculations we could fly right through a star or bounce too close to a supernova, and that'd end your trip real quick, wouldn't it?"
>Marvel: Sure they've got a big planetary defense shield, but we're going to travel through it in hyperspace and come out of hyperspace between the shield and the planet. On my mark Chewy, one, two, three, now!

>Star Wars: General Solo leads a sizable Rebel Ops team to Endor to infiltrate the base and lower the shields so that the fighters can destroy the super weapon.
>Marvel: Old General Solo takes a wookiee and one grunt to do the same.

>Star Wars: The Death Star.
>Marvel: Star Killer Base.

>Star Wars: Light saber duels end when somebody loses a limb or two (or three).
>Marvel: People get hit with light sabers regularly, and they take a dramatic pause to reflect on the situation. The duel only ends when a seismic event creates a big chasm between the two combatants.
>>
>>63875468
What the fuck is your problem?
>>
After the prequels Star Wars has turned into a video game. JJ is just following Lucas' lead.

Also the super secret powerful bad guy that is mentioned nowhere in the previous 6 films.
>>
b-b--but facebook told me to like it
>>
>>63875519
clearly he saw the new movie
>>
File: 1450387604717.jpg (43 KB, 635x634) Image search: [Google]
1450387604717.jpg
43 KB, 635x634
>he didn't think a child's movie would have childlike attributes
>>
>>63875519
The flick of course
>>
>>63875741
>145XXX
Why is everyone that praises this movie so new here?
>>
>>63875590
>JJ is just following Lucas' lead.

Nobody wanted him to though. It's bizarre that he decided to do the same kinds of shit when everyone almost universally hated it the first time through.
>>
R2D2 was under Luke's control. He came back to "life" when the Force had Awakened in Rey and he was ready to be found

How hard is this for you to follow?

Also Luke was using the Force to guide Rey to victory. Not really mind or body control, but a guiding hand
>>
gimmie faxmachine
>>
File: bb8.jpg (40 KB, 720x405) Image search: [Google]
bb8.jpg
40 KB, 720x405
Adding some more.

>Star Wars: Humor derives from character and interactions between characters
>Marvel: Humor derives from 2015 witty banter, cute occurances and spreg misunderstandings of common gestures

>Star Wars: X Wings are fighters, that can only travel within a system without a parent ship
>Marvel: X Wings referred to as a "fleet" and are seen jumping to lightspeed on their own.

>Star Wars: Characters represent a wide variety of ages
>Marvel: Characters are either 20 or 70 so they can force some kind of generational "passing the torch" contrivance.
>>
committee film making :^)
>>
>>63875770
Greetings from 9gag fuckboy!
>>
>>63875897
Poe is like 30 or something
>>
>>Star Wars: X Wings are fighters, that can only travel within a system without a parent ship
>>Marvel: X Wings referred to as a "fleet" and are seen jumping to lightspeed on their own.
>>63875897

X-Wings have always had hyperdrives. How do you think Luke got to Dagobah?
>>
>>63875468
I don't get what any of that has to do with marvel
>>
>>63876077
Marvel is notorious for its lazy writing and inability to consider greater impacts of small details.
>>
>>63875468
The Marvel part doesn't make sense but these are all really good criticisms. Nice job anon.
>>
>>63875897
You fucked up now

The ages are totally in line with ANH

Rey = Luke
Finn = Leia
Poe = Solo
>>
>>63876262
20 bucks say Poe and Finn are gay lovers at the end of the trilogy
>>
>>63876262
>he's forgetting the fact that there were no geriatric people passing torch to a new generation.
>>
>>63875897
Ok then faggot, then explain how Luke took his X-wing from Hoth to fucking Dagobon in a completely different system.
>>
>>63876329
What are you talking about

Just like Obiwan was a mentor who had to die to the dark side in ANH so was Han a mentor who had to die to the dark side in TFA
>>
>Star Wars: The force is something that takes guided training from an experienced Jedi like Obi Wan and Yoda in OT and Obi Wan in the prequels
>Marvel: Rey learns how to use it on the spot in less than an hour
>>
>Oh hey look, theres the Millennium Falcon just when we need it.

>Oh hey look, R2D2 conveniently is waking up now

>Need an excuse for some action? Oh hey look there are actually First Order sympathizers everywhere for some reason, just have them call a there buddy who works for the First Order. theyll send their whole fleet based on one phone call

>we need a pilot! well we've got one! in her spare time as a starving scavenger trying to survive, she has become an expert on flying military grade vehicles
>>
>>63876527
R2D2 wakes up because Rey arrives on the planet and the force awoke in her
>>
Someone actually holds a blaster shot in the air in the new film?

Holy fuck that's utterly retarded. Even Vader couldn't do that, his deflection was due to his armour.
>>
>>63876554
Thank god!!!!! Whew........man those sure are some creative writers :-)
>>
>>63876439
You seriously think Rey, a girl with a completely unknown past and crazy force visions, is completely new to the force? If anything the movie hints that her past isn't at all what she thinks it is.
>>
>>63875468
>putting star shits on suicide watch like this

I like you
>>
>>63875468
>Star Wars: The force involves training, requires an instructor, and takes time to develop.
>Marvel: The force is a super power that manifests in response to some traumatic event and transforms you in a dramatic instant--just when you really need it.
That sounds really boring and lame, but seems in line with today's thinking. You're special just for being you, and don't have to go through training and hardship to become good at something.
>>
>>63876640
Remember the flashback with Luke touching R2D2?

He used the force to ensure R2D2 would wake up when Rey is ready
>>
>>63876684
When did it say this in the movie lol?
It's just called "lazy writing"
>>
>>63876704
They didn't say it, you are meant to pick up on it.

Same way you were meant to pick up on Kylo's face becoming all red shortly before he killed Han just when the light of the sun is gone
>>
>>63876653
If you haven't seen it yet, ill try to explain it: Rey, the girl, has no weaknesses. She is an expert at everything she does. She doesn't have to struggle to overcome any weaknesses. In fact, her only "character flaw" is her being abandoned. In reality, that's not a character flaw. You're right. In today's world, the only heroes left are either poor or scientist. Luckily Rey is both of those.

Do you know how in Harry Potter, they say spells and then do a little wave and hope the spell goes okay? That's what the Force is to Rey. There is a seen where she repeats a line over and over until it works. She doesn't try a different tactic like Qui-Gon or Luke. She just keeps repeating it until it works

>>63876739
>>63876739
Why are you defending this piece of trash so hard? It was literally prequel tier in terms of stupidness
>>
>>63876704
Oh you didnt read the comic book? pleb

Star wars is BASED end of. I bet you didnt even clapped when the bigfoot pulled out his spanner and fixed the starship! heh

You probably dont even have a spec of a HAVE a dont even get what the force even "is".

Go ahead, hit me with your best shot kiddo...lol
>>
>>63875468
Since this thread is a pasta from >>63874717 I'll just pasta >>63874984
>Star Wars: "Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy! Without precise calculations we could fly right through a star or bounce too close to a supernova, and that'd end your trip real quick, wouldn't it?"
>Marvel: Sure they've got a big planetary defense shield, but we're going to travel through it in hyperspace and come out of hyperspace between the shield and the planet. On my mark Chewy, one, two, three, now!

This really is my favourite part, because it fucking obliterates the entirety of Return of the Jedi.

>From the start, the Rebels' plan was to send fighters into the Death Star through that shaft, and blow it up from the inside.
>Their fighters have hyperdrives
>Hyperdrives can go through shields according to TFA
>They could have left their fleet back hope, sent only the fighters, and then hyperspaced their entire fighter compliment inside the shield of the Death Star, meaning said fighters would have been perfectly safe from any imperial defense forces, since said defense fleet would have to be outside the shield, meaning the Death Star's shield would at this point be also shielding the Rebel fighters
>They could just fly in, blow up the Death Star, and hyperspace out of the shield when they are done

Why the fuck did the Rebels risk their entire fleet again? Why did they bother with the shield generator?

Infact, Luke could have saved his father too!
>Go to Endor
>Resist arrest
>Wait for Vader to fuck on down to the surface
>Have a nice long chat with daddy dearest while the rebels make their move
>Death Star blows up
>"Hey dad? About that 'You can destroy the Emperor' thing you said last time? Well, he's dead. Can we go fishing now?"
>>
>>63876851
>gets btfo
>w-wahtever you fuckin skill stop defending it

based /tv/
>>
>>63876912
>Why the fuck did the Rebels risk their entire fleet again? Why did they bother with the shield generator?

Because the Rebels....I mean...Resistance (original character, copyrighted by Disney, do not steal. Totally not the rebels) are just as stupid.

>Hey guys, here's an ex-stormtrooper we just met 5 minutes ago. We know nothing of his background. Let's all listen to him and do what he says. Everyone ready? Okay squadron move out!
>>
>>63876994
>the movie didnt say it
>you just have to imagine it said it

thats not how good stories work.
>>
>>63876851
Does Rey have a duel where she defeats whatever villain the movie has?
>>
>>63875468
I said this exact thing when I came out of the movie.

But it wasn't because of these things. Force Awakens was another example of trading clever for snarky. Some of the humor and line delivering felt like it was ripped straight from an Iron Man movie.
>>
>>63877034
It didn't say it. It showed you that, though.

Maybe try opening your eyes next time.
>>
>>63876912

Because JJ is doing whatever he wants to do with little regard for what happened prior.

Same thing Lucas did with the prequels. In the end you are going to have 3 different film universes that don't quite mesh but that are all made up of essentially the same characters.
>>
>>63875468
trying to hard to force this shit

nobody cares

the movie was good

it wasn't perfect but it was good

stop expecting perfection
>>
>>63877055
Yes. Finn and Rey find themselves in the woods. Rey is slammed into a tree. Finn takes a light sabre and defends himself pretty well against a supposedly Sith Lord? Lightsabres are now not as effective anymore. Both Finn and Kylo Ren ((the villian)) get slashed numerous times without any blood loss or limb-loss.

Finn is knocked out. His sabre goes hurdling through the air.

Kylo Ren, who at this point we have seen is a pretty powerful force user. He has stopped bullets in mid air, slammed people, mind controlled people, etc. etc. He struggles to grab the light sabre using the Force because......Rey grabs it instead using the Force!

She then defeats Kylo Ren in a duel, but not before closing her eyes for literally 10 seconds while soft music plays in the back ground and while Kylo Ren is struggling to push her blade towards her.
>>
>>63877152
Just because you have imdb sensbltitlies doesn't mean we all do, outsider
>>
>>63875741
>ITS A MOVIE FOR KIDS
>people are brutally killed

lmao get a load of this guy and his fucking ancient excuses.

In the end this is just JJ following Lucas's trend to its ultimate conclusion, the people who glorify the prequels here are basically forgetting that they basically set the trend for a mass market multimedia movie release in scifi/fantasy. They were every bit as crassly commercial as the sequels have been thus far.

Star Wars is now a video game and the main character is who you self insert into to feel almighty and powerful. No training is required, you just need to be TEH CHOSEN 1 or a strong mary sue who don't need no training from an oppressive cis shitlord. Press F to force push.

https://youtu.be/RqYx0cqy0WA?t=15m28s
>>
>>63877055
Yes. There is literally a scene where she closes her eyes and than is a master swordsman via 10 seconds of meditation.
>>
>>63877179

This is the most reddit post I've ever seen on 4chan
>>
>>63875519
He is a nerd. Nerds care about small things like this in kiddy movies.
>>
File: 1445798631258.png (74 KB, 573x713) Image search: [Google]
1445798631258.png
74 KB, 573x713
>>63876527
>the falcon is a military grade vehicle
>>
>>63877177
Lightsabers really shouldnt cause blood loss though. It would cauterize the wind instantly.
>>
>>63877236
What did all the other 2014 posters think?
>>
>>63877250
>hyper-drive and huge blasters that are capable of blowing up real military vehicles
>used by rebels to fight real armies
>somehow not the same grade
>>63877264
True, but you have to see it. At one point, Kylo Ren gets slashed in the face and it barely phases him.
>>
>>63875897
>>Marvel: Characters are either 20 or 70 so they can force some kind of generational "passing the torch" contrivance.
This is the only thing that kind of bothered me - not so much with the heroes but with all the First Order officers being in their 20's. In the OT all the imperial officers at least looked like old enough to have had a career leading to where they were. These guys looked like cosplayers or something.
>>
>>63877336
I did see it. If you're talking about the scene at the end of the film he does have that giant burn mark going up the side of his face. But yeah it did barely stun him which was ridiculous.
>>
>>63875468
you sound like you're too young to actually know what you're talking about. most of the things you're shitposting about were in the original trilogy, and 100% of them were in the orignal expanded universe in games, shows, comics, books, etc.
>>
>>63877177
In ANH, Luke doesn't even confront Vader. In ESB he nearly dies because he is an amateur compared to Vader. It's only in ROJ that he finally defeats Vader, but by doing so he almost loses, because the fight isn't about how much of a badass Luke is now.
>>
>>63875833
give it up anon these kids don't actually know anything about star wars, they're just being contrarian with their 1st year film student knowledge
>>
>>63876619
Right, he was armored on the palm of his hand
>>
>>63875468
>Star Wars
>JJ
>complaining about marvelization

It already happened to Star Trek, fools.
>>
>>63875833
Wouldn't Luke have needed to be at least present when these occurrences happened.
>>
>>63877177
are you fuckin kidding me m8
he wasn't trying to push her off, he was trying to get her to join him
he couldn't grab the saber cause he was losing blood the entire fight, injuries make it harder to use the force
finn held his ground cause he was a professional soldier and his waifu was in danger
kylo isn't a fucking sith lord his training isn't even finished and he has a hard time using his powers under pressure
at least watch the fucking movie before you try to meme on it
>>
>>63877002
That's one thing that really bothered me. Finn is revealed to be a former Stormtrooper, and that he was being deceptive about that fact, and everyone just instantly forgives him for it, and unquestioningly trusts him. There wasn't even a "You lied to me" line from Rey went he told her the truth.
>>
>>63877634
Not necessarily. Its believable that's he spent the last 30 years mastering the force or coming as close to a master that you can be.
>>
>>63875897
>>Star Wars: X Wings are fighters, that can only travel within a system without a parent ship
>>Marvel: X Wings referred to as a "fleet" and are seen jumping to lightspeed on their own.

not only are you a nitpicking sperg, you're also an idiot.
>>
>>63877760
come on, who's gonna accuse a black guy of bad intentions? that's racist!
>>
>>63877810
Not to me.
>>
>>63877760
everyone knew he was lying
>>
>>63877760
Didn't really think about that til now. I agree. Good point anon.
>>
>>63877889
How so? You don't find it believable that look would have probably the best control of the force in the universe?
>>
>>63877863
Welcome to /tv/ dumb fucki g star was 7 tourist

Enjoy your vacation
>>
>>63877968
I could believe that but I don't think even the best Jedi in the universe should be able to precisely control events over interstellar distances.
>>
How long before Finn is shot and killed by the Ferguson police?
>>
I'm with you, OP these JJ shills need to fuck off.
>>
>>63878057
Yeah I get you. Don't agree though. I just always liked how the force is just this mysterious entity acting on the universe that no one completely understands, even "masters" so I guess that's why I can by Luke being able to utilize it that way.
>>
>>63875468
>>Star Wars: Deflecting blaster bolts.
>>Marvel: Freezing blaster bolts in mid air.

who the fucking fuck cares

>>Star Wars: Droids are machines. If they're carrying secret plans, any technician can extract those plans.
>>Marvel: Droids can place themselves in "low-power" mode and then you can't get any intel out of them until they magically come back (when the writer needs them to).

who the fucking fuck cares

>>Star Wars: Light sabers are tools or weapons. In Episode 4, Luke picks up his father's light saber, switches it on and... cool shiny blue energy weapon.
>>Marvel: Rey touches Luke's light saber and gets a bunch of (magical) Luke-related force visions.

who cares. But how they find the lightsaber was stupid, yeah
>>Star Wars: The force involves training, requires an instructor, and takes time to develop.
>>Marvel: The force is a super power that manifests in response to some traumatic event and transforms you in a dramatic instant--just when you really need it.

mmmh yeah, this... makes rey a little bit lame-y.. maybe she was even more gifted than luke and everyone else... but if you watch empire, it seems being attuned with the force was more of a matter of right mindset
>>Star Wars: "Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy! Without precise calculations we could fly right through a star or bounce too close to a supernova, and that'd end your trip real quick, wouldn't it?"
>>Marvel: Sure they've got a big planetary defense shield, but we're going to travel through it in hyperspace and come out of hyperspace between the shield and the planet. On my mark Chewy, one, two, three, now!

valid observation
>>
>>63878699
Epic post. I hope you make the front page.
>>
>>63878699
lol
>>
>She's not fighting vader,she's fighting some dark sided brat who doesn't even finished his training

>And she already have melee weapon training (bo-staff)

>The hyperspace through shield was pretty lazy-writing

>The saber stuff was just poetry (the saber didn't wanted to go to kylo's hand)

>And there's some posibility that Rey got trainng in the past(before she was left in jakku)

Just pay more atention to the movie man
>>
screencapped and saved, this is the best critique I have heard so far
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.