[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>looks like an absolute badass >everyone likes the fact
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 151
Thread images: 7
File: 960.jpg (36 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
960.jpg
36 KB, 960x540
>looks like an absolute badass
>everyone likes the fact Star Wars has a proper villain again
>turns out to be a little bitch
>BUT THATS THE POINT HE IS TRYING TO BE VADER BUT HE IS NOT

If a character is shit, yet consistent, he is still shit.
>>
>villains must always be Edgelord McMurderfaces

Just go watch Saturday morning cartoons.
>>
>>63872471
Vader was anything but an edgelord you mug.
>>
File: 1413862713660.jpg (32 KB, 323x267) Image search: [Google]
1413862713660.jpg
32 KB, 323x267
>villain character is flawed and not likable
>WHAT BAD WRITING
>>
>>63872526
>HE WILL JOIN US OR DIE
>>
>>63872471
But he is Edgelord, which makes him even more silly.
>>
>>63872392
well he's more human and with a real personality. We see the problems of a young sith lord and the stress of trying to be as powerful as vader and not letting your main rival overshadow you

his moves and powers were all pretty cool to be honest family shaking my head.

I hope they do something interesting with him.
>>
>>63872471
>even using the term "Edgelord"

How will there ever be a tangible emotional or political conflict without someone at least not completely conforming to accepted morality? Would you have liked the First Order and the Resistance to have played a gentlemanly game of chess to decide who's the real victor?
>>
>>63872392
I'M TYPING IN CAPS. I'M SO SMART
>>
>>63872392
i don't understand you people who don't understand his flaws are what made his character. it's like you guys just want a no-personality zero flawed character/performance with minimal lines like dooku was so you can self-insert yourselves and feel better.
>>
>>63872845
or maul as a matter of fact

it's the very definition of the "nothin' personnel, kid" meme you morons keep spouting.
>>
>>63872575
>cries at the thought of killing his dad
>afraid of turning to the light side
>can barely beat anyone that has the capacity to defend themselves
>anywhere near edgelord

Nope. You lose.
>>
>>63872528
>>63872845
The problem isn't that he's flawed, the problem is that he's presented as a solid, menacing, proper villain and then turns out to be an edgelord.

Which is exactly what they did with Anakin which YOU also hate but are now for some reason justifying.
>>
>>63873033
>then turns out to be an edgelord.

as people keep saying he was compromised in the majority of the film with the light and dark side which is part of his character. an edgelord is edgy for no reason.
>>
>>63873003
>>can barely beat anyone that has the capacity to defend themselves

he hold his own while wounded. It's easy to assume he would have mopped the floor with them if he wasn't. Jesus Christ you retards
>>
>>63872845

You don't understand. They don't want a character with flaws and an interesting story. They want a big guy with a funny voice and a mask that he never takes off.
>>
>>63873003
>>can barely beat anyone that has the capacity to defend themselves

Take the world's best swordsman, shoot him in the stomach, then tell him to go win a sword fight and see how that turns out for him.
>>
>>63873216
this he was wounded and they had to give everything and activate super saiyan powers and if I recall correctly they still had to flee from the confrontation. I guess posters here are fucking retards.
>>
>>63873216
What you said, Anon.
Plus, take into the account that the aforementioned swordsman has just murdered his father, too.
>>
File: dindu.jpg (597 KB, 656x816) Image search: [Google]
dindu.jpg
597 KB, 656x816
AN EDGE LORD?
>>
>>63873459
>tfw when Flinn was a better character than this meme character
>>
>>63873033
>The problem isn't that he's flawed, the problem is that he's presented as a solid, menacing, proper villain

That didn't happen. It was clear he was a wannabe badass from the start.
>>
>>63872392

This

God, these TFA drones will defend fucking anything this movie does.
>>
>>63873840
>It was clear he was a wannabe badass from the start

Idk, he looked pretty badass and sounded pretty badass to me, up until he took the mask off
>>
>>63872845
I wan't a new Vader. Someone badass that is simply evil.
>>
>>63875397
You literally got that in the prequels
>>
>>63872471
You don't know what edgy means faggot
>>
>>63872567
WE GOT DEATH STAR
WE GOT DEATH STAR
WE GOT DEATH STAR
WE GOT DEATH STAR
>>
>>63873216
Yeah but he doesn't lose because he is wounded, he loses because Rey opens herself to the Force. She basically have "more Force". What bugs me about that is that we've seen in episode III that pure Force can't overcome technique and experience.
>>
>If a character is shit, yet consistent, he is still shit.
>yet consistent

what?
>>
Why was he named Ben?

Was it after Obi Wan being referred to as Ol' Ben?

If so, that's not really how Han and Leia knew Obi Wan that's more how Luke knew Obi Wan when he was growing up.

It would make more sense to name him Ben if he was.....

Luke's son.

And if Rey is Luke's daughter then Rey and Kylo could be twins.

How's that for pottery.

>Luke
> You never found out what happened to your father.
>Kylo
>I killed him
>Luke
>No. I AM your father.
>>
>>63872567
Darth vader is an alpha badass who doesn't throw temper tantrums, just gives heavy orders like a boss
>>
>>63876061
I'd say he lost because of a combination of those things.

He was wounded, he was probably not in the best mental shape for a fight.

Also this chick continues to blow his mind with her sudden surge of force awareness, perhaps making him lose concentration and confidence in himself.

Even though this is never likely to happen, imagine yourself at a typical college party playing beer pong. Some chick comes up to play you next and you are like "yeah ok"

Next thing you know she sinks her first 2 shots and you haven't hit any yet. What the fuck is this bullshit? before you know it you lost.
>>
File: 1323748371272.jpg (145 KB, 900x795) Image search: [Google]
1323748371272.jpg
145 KB, 900x795
>Mfw those two Stormtroopers just nope the fuck out when Kylo is having a baby tantrum
>>
>>63876158
well, he used to...

Kylo Ren is still young and angry too but for some reason, it works.

Maybe because he is new, and Vader was already so well established in our minds that going back into the prequels and seeing him as a whiny bitch just ruined it. Plus his actor wasn't great, which didn't help.
>>
>>63872392
I bet you think Darth Maul was a great villain too.

Just go the fuck back to wherever you came from, I'm sure not even Reddit is that retarded.
>>
>>63876205
That was funny and actually a nice bit of character development. They leave partly because they're afraid of him and partly because he's so ridiculous that they don't respect him.
>>
>>63876215
>but for some reason, it works.
No it doesn't.

He was threatening, scary or menacing in the least when the movie ended. He's a joke character.
>>
>>63872392
He actually uses the unusual saber design to gain an advantage several times which I appreciated, like burning Finn's shoulder. I actually thought he was gonna stab Han with the side hilt while passing it to him
>>
>>63876483
he did more Force shit than Vader ever did.

all Vader did was be big and menacing and one time he choked a guy. his lightsaber duels are against a teen and a very old man who fucking let him win.
>>
About him "not being in the mental state to fight" : killing his father isn't supposed to be a good thing for a sith ? He literally killed his light side. He is more sith than ever. I don't see how it's a weakness.
>>
>>63872392
this is how how you know /tv/ is shit at understanding movies/tv shows. not understanding the characters in a simple movie like star wars just because they are multi-dimensional and subvert their plebeian minds
>>
>>63876743

Being a Sith is about power through passion, but Kylo Ren is letting his rage control HIM rather than the other way around. He's not thinking clearly and is taking stupid risks in a fight because he wants to beat Rey and Finn down face-to-face personally rather than Force Choking them to death. He needs to PROVE that he's better in a fight, to stop his own doubts about his self-worth, and that's why he loses.
>>
Kylo is a good character, in the sense that he is consistent.
He is not likeable and doesn't command respect though.
His mug is also ugly as fuck.
>>
>>63873840
you people are just overrating Disney and JJ's competence.

it's pretty obvious that they wanted him to be intimidating and badass but fucked up attempting to give him more dimensions.

he's actually a pretty standard Disney villain, they don't do understated menace.
>>
>>63873459

Top lel
>>
Kills his Dad in cold blood to prove his commitment level.

>internet says crybaby bitch
>>
>>63876307
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMylmOlot4g
>>
>>63876809
>His mug is also ugly as fuck.

I think he's really attractive, actually, but I'm a sucker for those sharp, angular facial features.
>>
>>63876843

Such a crybaby manchild that he throws tantrums every 5 minutes and literally nobody respects him, just fear his power

>You say total badass
>>
>>63876821
um no its quite clear he was set up to get more training and become more powerful to be the main opposing force in the second film after being embarrassed in the first. it was literally stated in the movie. you must not have watched it.
>>
>>63876843
>killing your father because an orc hologram told him to
>no particular motive for hating Han is revealed beyond "muh Dark Side"

wow I wonder why we're not impressed with this guy
>>
>>63876843
>cold blood

Oh no it's very clear that he still feels something over it, but the reason why Kylo is so fucked up is that he acknowledges that what he's doing is wrong morally and is hurting people he cares about, but he thinks that pain and tragedy is a GOOD thing and wants to create more of it. His moral conscience is there but he's reading it completely backwards and that's the scariest part.
>>
>>63873033
>Which is exactly what they did with Anakin which YOU also hate but are now for some reason justifying.

Now they didn't do It with Anakin, because Christensens acting was fucking awful but it wasn't helped by the absolute dog-shit tier dialogue Lucas wrote up.
>>
>>63876680
Yeah but as anakin skywalker he had some great duels.

Killed Count Dooku one of the best lighstaber duelists of all time.

Killed countless things during the clone wars.

His only mistake was during mustafar and the whole high ground thing. He drove Obi Wan back during the entire fight. Never looked like Obi Wan was going to win.
>>
>>63876941
there's this thing called "show don't tell"

telling us he's going to be more powerful is shitty writing. better to show us how powerful he is.

this movie showed us he isn't even that big of a threat to the main characters.
>>
File: 1300044776988.jpg (23 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1300044776988.jpg
23 KB, 250x250
>>63876843
>Kills his Dad in cold blood

>Literally crying when he does it
>>
>>63872471
>go watch your saturday morning cartoons
It's sad how you can't realize the irony of what you said
>>
>>63876993
just pretend the prequels never happened. that's what the new movies are doing
>>
>>63876483
WHY CAN'T YOU PEOPLE GRASP THAT: THAT IS HIS CHARACTER

WHAT THE HELL
>>
>>63872471

They should at least be competent and scary.
>>
>>63876884
>wow, such a badass vilain, he has a double lightsaber guys! so awesome! nevermind the fact that he has no personality whatsoever, i just like the way he looks
>>
>>63876426
this. they clearly had orders to go somewhere/do something, and they decided to take a longer route , efficiency be damned
>>
>>63876914

That's kind of original and makes him interesting. Stop complaining over everything. I bet no matter what kind of villain he would have been, you would have found a way to complain, because you're just a whiny person.
>>
>>63876884
Is that the coolest moment from the whole movie? Maul just swoops in on a bike and starts whooping ass without a word, and everyone just runs like hell. I haven't watched TPM in like 15 years and that part is still stuck in my brain.
>>
>>63877003
are you retarded? looks like you just picked up a buzzword and responded with a tangent based on it. that is the point of the character, that he isn't all that. by conventional storytelling, then he will become stronger in the next movie based on where he was left off. there was no show and telling that was me inferring what is going to happen. it might not happen the same in the next movie. if you cant understand that then i dont know what to say
>>
>>63873840

whether it was established from the start or not, who wants to see that shit? It gets rid of all the tension and reduces the villain from a more genuine threat to something on the level of a Saturday cartoon villain who just needs friends.

Also, I think the fact that dude was presented as having wiped out all the new Jedi is a feat of epic poetry kind of means they want you to be intimidated by him, which is hard if he's a fuccboi
>>
>>63876821
>it's pretty obvious that they wanted him to be intimidating and badass

not in the 2nd half of the film.

stop being one of those people that expect literally darth vader to come back. he's a WANNABE darth vader. that's the point.
>>
>>63876843
No, Han killed himself to redeem his son later.
>>
>>63877192
He is a good character, but as a villain he became significantly less menacing. I just hope he manages to beat Rey the next movie.
>>
>>63872392
The thing is that even in his edgyness, he is the only character they made with a personality, so he is the most likeable one by default.
>>
>>63872392
I was expecting Giovanni. They gave us Team Rocket.
>>
>>63877234
I think that's more a problem of Rey seeming too OP in comparison, he may be a wannabe Vader but the movie clearly presented him as threating. Even in the last parts he manages to easily defeat Finn and injure Rey with his force powers.
>>
>>63877228
It's called character study. Maybe you should stop your black and white thinking. An antagonist does not have to be the greatest killer in the entire galaxy all the time, otherwise that would be on the level of a Saturday cartoon villain. Plus they have introduced a more dangerous villain already.
>>
>>63877289

I argue that he still is menacing at the end of the movie, but in a different way. At the start he seems like he's totally in control and unchallenged in his power, because that's the impression he's deliberately trying to show.

By the end of the movie you realize just how fucking insane he actually is, and that unpredictability and temper is what makes him scary.
>>
>>63877192

I never said I didn't like him. You said that people are unfair in calling him a "crybaby bitch" because he kills his father in "cold blood" (actually struggles to do it and has to beg his father to help him do it) when he's in fact a immature manchild trying to emulate Darth Vader.

Stop trying to divert from the original point. There's nothing particularly "badass" about him, he's practically wearing a fedora because Al-capone was a badass and he wore one!
>>
>>63872845
>i don't understand you people who don't understand his flaws are what made his character.

Kylo Ren fans remind me of the Sucker Punch fans endlessly whining that we jost don't understand the concept.

We do. It is just shit.
>>
>>63872392
He was made out to look like a bitch in his very first scene when he left Finn standing there looking at him like a bitch instead of going over there and force choking his lazy ass to death.
>>
>>63877192
>gets mind raped by a girl who found out the force was real 30 min ago
>runs away crying

>gets bested by a girl who is using a lighsaber for the first time
>bleeding on the floor crying again
>is only saved because the star killer was blown up

He is not menacing at all right now. I was liking his character and his fighting style, but they have to pump him up big time for the next movies if he is going to be the main antagonist.
>>
>>63873840
This.

He was an edgy teen wannabe Vader from the start and that was the whole point!

He wanted to be as badass as his grandfather, but was not powerful enough and failed his Jedi training under Luke... that's why he turned to the Dark Side, cuz it's easier and promises more powaahhhh... mask, voice, appearance, etc. are all barriers between his real self and the world to make him look badass.

He is just an insecure edgelord on the inside and I bet his band of the Knights of Linkin Park are the same rejects.

I like him, definitely best character in TFA.
>>
>>63877401
He may seem more unstable and chaotic, but if he can't even beat Rey when she is a novice, let alone when Luke teaches her it just significantly reduces his ability to threaten the heroes.
>>
>people saying he was meant to be super badass
he is literally crying and shit when he kills his dad bitches about being drawn to the light side and smashes his toys when people run away from him
>>
>>63877385
>It's called character study.

We don't care.

>Maybe you should stop your black and white thinking.

Maybe they should start filming villains not requiring to tell us how to think.

>An antagonist does not have to be the greatest killer in the entire galaxy all the time,

When he's supposed to be the heavy in the biggest conflict in the galaxy? Yes, he does.

>otherwise that would be on the level of a Saturday cartoon villain.

That would be a step up for Kylo Ren.
>>
>>63877094
Oh no, I get it, his character is being a little bitch, and he does a good job at it
>>
>>63877478
>but if he can't even beat Rey when she is a novice

He was pretty badly injured and not thinking straight because he needed to defeat her to prove that he's worthy to himself. In the sequel after he's gotten more training from Snoak and in top condition, he's going to be more of a threat. She's also going to have more training from Luke though, so it'll be interesting to see how their duel changes the second time around.
>>
>>63877491
He isn't crying. You can tell he's going to go through with it as soon as the scene begins. If anything he has a half smile as he does it and the emotions are from joy that he has a chance to do something Vader couldn't in killing his own family.
>>
>>63877491
He is presented as unhinged, but if the movie makers wanted to present him as a loser then they would have wanted to remove all tension from the movie and the encounters with Ren, that just seems not compatible to the terror Ren got from the heroes.
>>
>>63877478

To be fair, he got kinda shot in the fucking stomach by a Bowcaster, which they made a big deal of showing just how ridiculously strong it was, one shot causing massive recoil for Han and killing like 3 dudes. (As a side note, am I honestly expected to believe that is the first time Han has EVER used Chewie's Bowcaster?) and then he had to fight Finn who managed to get in a lucky hit or two.

I don't think he should have lost so badly, but it's obvious as to why he didn't win so easily.
>>
>>63877450

I read some comment about Rey actually having been trained before and then somehow brainwashed into forgetting her past, and when she got in touch with the light-saber it all came back to her (which i really hope is the case). It can be argued that her being able to prevent the guy from picking info out of her brain is just inherent will-power induced by how strong the force is with her.
>>
>>63877367
>I think that's more a problem of Rey seeming too OP in comparison

no one on this board is arguing this. even feminists won't argue it. unless it's revealed in the sequel that Luke's sword was engrained with his power or the "she was mind wiped theory".
>>
>>63877510
Yeah I already knew your pleb mind couldn't understand something as basic as character study, no need to tell me. Maybe watch digimon if you want bad guy be bad
>>
>>63877591
I think they should have exaggerated this weakness more then, showing him visibly losing focus because of the pain. Because when people see Ren destroying Finn I think they will assume that the blaster isn't affecting him to significantly.
>>
>>63877631
He's not the heavy yet though besides his raw force skills. The First Order only parades an apprentice like him around to shove it in the Resistance' faces that their leader's son switched sides.
>>
>>63877573

He is at the very least tearing up. Just because he goes through with it doesn't mean that he feels nothing. He's just ignoring those feelings, or worse, twisting them around to think that because it's hurting him and people who care about him that it's a GOOD thing that he should be following through on.
>>
>>63877510
>We don't care.
you don't care.

>Maybe they should start filming villains not requiring to tell us how to think.
okay, you're straight up trolling.
>>
>>63877491

What you construe as crying is him (i think) forcefully trying to channel anger as a proper response to things going out of hand, because he really isn't completely evil, but wants to be - and he's trying to prevent himself of forgiving mistakes (which his instincts want to do) but by going crazy he is managing to force a dark side response instead.
>>
>>63877573
>>63877574
Dunno to me it seemed like he knew he had to do it and wanted to do it to progress onto being more powerful but he still a little regretful
>>
>>63877415
nah, pretty sure you want a stoic no-personality self-insert "nothin' personnel" villain who never speaks like darth maul was.
>>
He is just a school shooter. Nice guy with good parents gets some dark edgy shit in his mind and one day just walks in school and kill all the other students.
>>
>>63877598
I think leaving a plot point like that entirely for another movie is shitty, but I hope this is it, because it would make sense and otherwise Kylo would be a bigger bitch. I honestly thought Luke was going to say something like 'welcome back padawan' or something better, to at least hint that she had training.

Anyways, either Kylo gets a power training by snookie or finds out that he has to stop imitating Vader and finds his own path through the dark side getting less shit.
>>
>Quiptron
>Dr. Mannequin
>Marvel Luthor
>Bitch Solo/Poor's man Vader

2015 was the worst year for villains imo.
>>
>>63877790

The Dark Side fucks you up. The difference is that most other Jedi that fall to it don't realize how far they're gone until it's too late. Kylo Ren knows EXACTLY what he's doing and DOESN'T CARE.
>>
>>63872392
It sucks that he has so many flaws (which is good) while the main protag. is perfect in every way and the only "weakness" she has is her supposed amnesia (which doesn't matter at all in this movie).
>>
File: ohmy.gif (1 MB, 330x312) Image search: [Google]
ohmy.gif
1 MB, 330x312
>>63877790
>MFW i realize you are right
>>
So, I disagree with the Darth Vader character in the prequels, but I think Kylo Ren was somewhat like how Revenge of the Sith Darth Vader would have been if Hayden Christensen weren't complete shit.

I think the whiny edgelord characterization is completely right, and sorta the point.

I think the worst mistake the film made was saying who he was way too early, instead of in the scene at Starkiller base. Ruined the reveal. I guess they thought it would be stupid for Han and Leia to see each other and not bring it up, but they could have maybe had their faces reacting in the background while other characters talk.

At first I was disappointed that Kylo appeared really powerful and like a total badass in the opening scene, only to get weaker as the film progressed, but then someone reminded me that he was shot and they made it VERY clear that he was injured, with him repeatedly smacking the blood out of his side.
I also think his response of taking the mask off when criticized for it seemed completely right, and that was a good moment for the character.

So, I'm fine with this villain.

The highlight of the film was definitely John Boyega, and all these fuccbois with their "it's cool to hate niggers" shit are missing out on the best part of the film.
>>
>>63877385

You're just making excuses at this point.

we're supposed to believe the First Order and Kylo Ren are a genuine threats. Making Kylo Ren a crybaby bitch who can't even seem to take down a stormtrooper with a lightsaber doesn't send the message that he's a real threat very well nor does it send the message that people should feel a sense of dread when he shows up.

A character like this Kylo Ren might work well as a secondary antagonist who is second banana to someone far more competent and threatening, but he sucks as the "face" of the villain's side. there should be someone between himself and Snoke who is not quite as the overarching threat as Snoke, but is not the little bitch Kylo Ren is.
>>
>>63878279
>A character like this Kylo Ren might work well as a secondary antagonist who is second banana to someone far more competent and threatening,

And that "someone" is Snoke, you fucking idiot. He's the one that's manipulating Kylo Ren into being an edgelord faggot in the first place.
>>
>>63873511
>that face when when
>>
>>63877011
>>Literally crying when he does it
>>63876914
>>63876843
>>63877404
>>63877450
>>63877491

I think they were crocodile tears. I knew in the theater that he would kill him, right there, and I was saying "He's faking that". >>63877573
>>
>>63878369
But he is crying when Rey gets into his mind and mocks him. He literally runs away crying to Vader's helmet while Ray is chilling getting out of jail.
>>
>>63878343
Then Snoke should have been the main villain actively doing shit in the movie, not just talking.
>>
>>63876843
MY DAD DIDNT LOVE ME

>stabs him
>practically crying

No, that's an emo kid, not a badass.
>>
>>63878343
Sitting on a chair the whole movie doesn't count as being evil
>>
>>63878343

Snoke is the overarching shadowy threat, he's not an active villain in any capacity. If anything Kylo Ren risks making Snoke look less like a threat because Kylo Ren is so fucking incompetent that it makes Snoke look stupid or weak for having just this guy as his main emissary.

A villain like Kylo usually has someone else either one step above him or at his same level. In A New Hope, you had Tarkin and Vader, both pretty good at the villain thing in their own respective ways and then of course you had the unseen Emperor. In Empire, it was just the Emperor, whose role was a lot like Snoke's here, and then you had Vader, again a not perfect threat as he had proven he could be beaten but definitely a threatening villain. You understand why the Emperor keeps this guy around and the fact that a guy so badass serves the emperor helps make the emperor feel more threatening.
>>
>>63875798
LUUKE
USE THE FORCE AND RUN
RUN TO DAGOBAH
RUN TO DAGOBAH
RUN TO DAGOBAH
>>
>>63876809
he looks like eggs benedict bumbsnatch and snape had a baby
>>
>>63878450
This.

He was always trying to go through with it, but it's obvious it was tearing him up inside.
>>
>>63878936
>>63875798

Fuck I gotta go find that on youtube or something now.
>>
>>63877893
>The highlight of the film was definitely John Boyega, and all these fuccbois with their "it's cool to hate niggers" shit are missing out on the best part of the film.

I'm a racist and his character was the most human and likeable one.... if only this series had a white male protagonist as well, but it seems jews hate us
>>
>>63877510
you're a retard
>>
>>63876144
Seeing how much this movie tried to be STAR WARS A NEW HOPE.. Yeah, there are big chances for it to happen.
>>
>>63876205
Ffs

kylo gets mad on purpose. Thats how dark side force grows. You morons. On phone. Sry
>>
>>63877893
>Highlight
>Not Oscar Isaac
>>
>>63872392
a film is only as good as it's bad guy, it's a pretty good way to benchmark the quality of a film
>>
>>63872392
His dad and mom left him to train with Luke to realize his force potential. He probably just wanted to do normal kid stuff and hang out with his daddy and mommy, but they tossed him away like trash to do something he wasn't remotely interested in. Get's to Luke's place, is disobedient, kills younglings, gets seduced by snoke. He is the prototypical school bully, but this nigga can freeze plasma bolts in mid-air. It's a super believable character. His CRAWWWLLLING and narcissism is 100% believable because of his upbringing and because of his, essentially, super powers.
>>
>>63879198
I dunno, I found his origin lacking compared to the others. They could have afforded to show us a bit more about how his first battle shocked him out of his conditioning.
>>
>>63879461

I think he was just desperate for a father figure, and felt abandoned by Han and unappreciated by Luke as his trainer. So Snoke shows up and says "hey your grandpa was a super powerful motherfucker and you can be too, why are you hanging around with these shitlords when you can RULE THE GALAXY." and he started obsessing over that parentage in lieu of actual attention from his real immediate family.
>>
>>63879524
Exactly. Jedis and Sith are still human, and the continuum of 'fucked up' a human can lie on, as a result of having basic emotional needs not met as a child, is very broad. For some I am sure the Force can act as a tempering agent in their life, but for others it might just be abilities they utilize in venting their frustrations.
>>
>>63879106
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp-Ys_iFwnM
>>
>>63879721

For him it's probably just a basic changeling fantasy type thing "my real parents and lame and boring I must be the CHOSEN ONE and have a GREAT DESTINY that they're purposely hiding from me!"
>>
Why is the ghost of Annie not giving this twit shit for worshiping him?
>>
>>63880009
>implying that's not the "temptation of the light" that Kylo Ren is talking about and he's just being too much of a shit to actually listen to him
>>
>>63879336
>>Highlight
>>Not Oscar Isaac

Oscar Isaac didn't have a lot of screen time.

But John Boyega was fucking hilarious, skilled, but lacking confidence and with just a tad of ineptitude, completely afraid, but surviving, and trying to lie his way into pussy like the true everyman he represents.
>>
>>63879957
>he's actually just a chuuni
>that's why he changed his name and wears the mask and cloaks
>>
>>63878731
I don't understand anon. Emo kids are bad ass.
>>
>>63880246
Boyega was awful.
>>
>>63877415
Yep, JJ Abrams tapped into something with this character that people seem to connect to. They see themselves in him
>>
>>63877094
>WHY CAN'T YOU PEOPLE GRASP THAT: THAT IS HIS CHARACTER

And it sucks because it's so boring and useless.

Villains are essential to starwars, and this villain is shit.
>>
He's a real human character with emotions, conflicts, and not just "scary black robot man" that Darth Vader was.

To be honest he's a lot more interesting than Vader, even if he's not as intimidating.
>>
>>63883561
>JJ "KAAAAAAAAHN" Abrams had anything to do with Kylo Ren
Kylo was 100% Kasdan, bet on it
>>
>>63876158
Nigga is there a hole in your brain? You forget soon after Vader was created his screamed NYYEEEEOOOOOOOOOOHHHH and force crushed an entire room? Vader has had 6 movies of back story. Kylo has had one. I think people are buttblasted that Adam Driver did an amazing job and Kylo Ren is a very well written character.
>>
He was a character with internal conflict and showed his emotion. Of course internet manchildren can only describe him as "a bitch"
>>
File: 1432246787950.png (749 KB, 1360x768) Image search: [Google]
1432246787950.png
749 KB, 1360x768
>>63872392
he's whinier than Anakin
>>
>>63877321
This. Even though I still think he is a bit of a bitch I still enjoyed him more than Fin and way more than Rey.
>>
>>63879336
He would have been had they actually given him a decent amount of focus. Hopefully he will get a good role in the next movie.
>>
>>63876144
>>63879301

then all of Han and Leia's scenes make no fucking sense
>>
>>63872392
He was the thing I was most skeptical about before seeing the film. Thought he wasn't going to have much character besides "OH LOOK! I KNOW ABOUT ALL THE PAST SITHS AND BAD GUYS!", but he ended being one of my favorite characters in it. Never understood why everyone was hyping him before the movie's release though.
>>
>>63878366
>that face
just how new are you?
>>
>>63877228
>It gets rid of all the tension
It would if he was the only villain, but he's not.
>>
>>63872392
Wow /tv/ will literally complain about anything. Who is the bigger pissbaby, Ren or the average /tv/ poster...?
>>
>>63886186
He is the only major villain actively fighting the protagonists. Snoke just sits in his chair and Phasma is a joke.
Thread replies: 151
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.