[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Star Wars - The Force Awakens, Film analysis
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
I still believe that even in some of the biggest modern block busters and big event movies that try appeal to a mass audience are always some bits of clever artistic ideas, interesting choices of narrative strategies or discussworthy subtexts.

I read an interesting article about Star Wars Episode VII, in which the author argued that it was intended self-referential irony havin one of the main characters being a salvager, because the movie itself was full of allusions aka "old pieces" of the older movies.

What do you think?
>>
>>63864863
>What do you think?
I think this isn't your personal blog, and that you should kill yourself.
>>
Thats terrible attempt to give any profound meaning to that unsalvageable movie
>>
how much cheese do you eat on a daily basis? I'm from the cheese coalition
>>
i think this is some dumb space flick
>>
>there's many threads about the movie already
>but I'm a special snowflake so I'll start a new one
Fucking tripfags are cancer.
>>
it's like poetry

every stanza kind of rhymes with the last one
>>
>>63864916
>>63865008
Analyzing just means trying to describe how a movie works and what narrative ideas may mean. Judging the overall quality in a subjective way is another thing. So you may actually state that there are some clever ideas and choices made in a movie but for you personally it sucked.

I myself am still not sure what to think about the latest Star Wars in terms of overall quality yet.
>>
>>63864916
The movie is very self-referential throughout. The first line is "This will begin to make things right." The movie straight-up acknowledges that it's recycling the plot from A New Hope.
>>
>>63865285
Shit, you are right. I didn't realize that this was actually the first spoken line.
>>
>>63865226
the movie wasn't even one story.

the title crawl implies it's going to be about finding Luke, then after half an hour it's suddenly about a new Death Star.

in the OT the title crawl always directly foreshadows the plot - because that's the point of having one, it makes the story more focused.

here the title crawl is actually an attempt to hide how derivative the film is.
>>
File: sigmundfreud.jpg (19 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
sigmundfreud.jpg
19 KB, 400x400
For fans it wasn't really a surprise that they killed Han in this one, but I liked the choice that he was killed off by his own son.

Added some dark freudian oedipus complex like layer to his fucked up character.
>>
>>63864863
I think you should go the fuck back to Reddit.
>>
>>63865466

This was cheapened by the "Luke, I am your father" thing that has been ingrained in our culture.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.