[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Nothing in TFA, came close to this https://m.youtube.com/wat
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 141
Thread images: 11
Nothing in TFA, came close to this https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yHqdESArkqU
>>
>>63862544

At least Luke had an excuse for waving his sword around like an untrained faggot unlike Driver's character.
>>
>>63862544
00:19-00:22 is kekworthy
Pretty cool all in all, though.
>>
>>63862620
I mean just look at Obi-Wan!
>>
>>63862544
Honestly, that's pretty shitty. The duels with Kylo Ren were much better.
>>
>>63862689
I literally just left the theater and can't remember I single thing about those lightsaber duels. They were boring as hell
>>
>>63862544
TFA is non-canon as far as I'm fucking concerned.

Expanded Universe is what came after the movies, the way that it always was. TFA never happened.
>>
The lightsaber duel in Phantom Menace was fun to watch but in the sense that a dance routine is fun to watch. It was entertaining in its flashiness but it didn't feel like two characters who were desperately trying to kill eachother like the fight between Kylo and Finn. The saber fights in TFA felt more like the fights in the original trilogy, as in they seemed like actual sword fights instead of blatant choreography.
>>
>>63862604
Driver's character had an excuse, he hadn't completed his training.
>>
>>63862544
>00:56
The fuck was that?
>>
>>63862544

Kylo Ren stopping a blaster shot dead in midair with the Force was a million times more "HOLY FUCKING SHIT"-inducing than the reveal of Maul's double lightsaber.
>>
>>63862544
Fuck you. I'm glad that lightsabers have a sense of weight to them again. No more dumb dance fighting.
>>
>>63862722
Maybe because you were too busy sweating with the urge of wanting to post about how much you hate the movie instead of paying attention to it.
>>
>>63862544
Man I don't remember the fight being that crappy. At least it's pretty cool at the ending once they stop doing gymnastics. Why didn't Darth Maul hit them as they were jumping?
>>
>>63862604
Kylo Ren hadn't completed his training and we don't know what he had been taught thus far. When Yoda first started training Luke he didn't teach him how to use a lightsaber and instead focused on the force, Snoke might've done the same. Plus when Ren fought Finn and Rey he was badly injured so that made it a lot harder for him to do focused swordsmanship.
>>
>>63862788
I completely agree.
>>
People are going to complain that this choreographer had a dance background and they "don't look like real duels" etc, but it's not like John Woo movies look like real shootouts, or (probably the better comparison) that sentai battles look like real hand-to-hand combat.

Say what you want about Darth Maul, but he held up his end of the bargain for making the villains seem way cooler than the heroes. Which is tough outside of the OT.
>>
>>63862544
The only part of that fight that was good and felt like an actual fight and not a fucking dance was Obi Wan vs Darth Maul.
>>
>>63862788
>TFA is non-canon as far as I'm fucking concerned
That's not how it works. Go back to Reddit or kill yourself.
>>
>>63862544

This looks like fucking ass.

The purpose of swordfighting is to actually hit your opponent with your sword, not dance around like a fucking fairy.

TFA did lightsaber fights correctly.
>>
>>63862824
This.
>>
while that duel was indeed visually gripping there was no real story or character motivation behind the fight, they just thought eh we might as well fight him since we both have lightsabers and all, it didn't have the emotional tension and character development of the duels from the original trilogy and the duel at the end of TFA
>>
>>63862544
There are so many pretty good tricks in this video. Reminds me of poetry. Specifically, a poem I wrote in second grade about sick fuckin kung fu lightsaber duels with flips and spins.
>>
>>63862824

kinda agree. (i havent seen TFA yet) but it was definitely flashy. but it also displayed how skilled maul was in his craft. fuck man, why couldn't they have capitalized on that character. a fuckin sith lord that is capable of (almost) fending off two jedis single handedly. he just had so much potential and wasnt a fucking pawn like vader either. FUCKIN SHIT.
>>
>>63862544
everything in the prequels is so fucking awkward
the one thing tfa has in its favor to me is that it didn't break the suspension of disbelief by being garish except through certain plotpoints and certain dialogue in certain scenes
with the prequels *everything* confronts me with being aware of george lucas' thought process
>>
>>63862824
>The saber fights in TFA felt more like the fights in the original trilogy

These nostalgia goggles.

Watch Obi Wan vs. Vader and tell me it looks like they're trying to kill one another.
>>
>>63863043
i mean it isn't that far away from errol flyn swordfights and adventure type films like that were one of the original inspirations for star wars, so what's the problem? do people really wish that jedi fight like REAL swordsmen when we all know they fight with the force?
>>
File: 2.jpg (118 KB, 1280x540) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
118 KB, 1280x540
>>63863062
Canon starts with this image.
>>
I just rewatched this scene, and Darth Maul is actually pretty smart. At the beginning of the fight, Maul lures the two Jedi out into a large, open area, precariously balancing himself on an outcropping. One might think, "That makes no sense. Why would someone deliberately put himself into such an indefensible position?" He then jumps to a bridge, and the Jedi follow. He then kicks Obi-Wan off of the bridge. Darth Maul is no longer fighting two enemies, he is fighting one. As he fights Qui-Gon, he takes a retreating stance. If he thinks himself stronger than Qui-Gon, why retreat? Because he is putting more space between them and the younger Jedi. Eventually, all three characters end up separated in the forcefield hallway. After the first lifting of the fields, he is engaged with Qui-Gon alone, and is able to defeat him in single combat.

Darth Maul is smarter than two Jedi.
>>
>>63863183
I love how you prequel defenders always point to that one lightsaber duel. Everyone knows the Obi-Wan vs Darth Vader lightsaber duel is bad, no one ever denies this. When people talk about how great the OT duels are they're talking about the Luke vs Vader duels.
>>
>>63862544
anyone know the name of the song used in the intro? thinking that it's some nu metal band
>>
>>63863183
Kill yourself.
>>
File: LaughingLauraPalmer.jpg (196 KB, 700x957) Image search: [Google]
LaughingLauraPalmer.jpg
196 KB, 700x957
>>63862544
>The Phantom Menace
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0mUVY9fLlw

The only good thing about the prequel fights was the music. Otherwise TFA has greatly improved on that.
>>
The sabre fights in TFA are the most realistic to me to date because everyone is essentially a brawler with Rey clearly being some sort of Force prodigy.

NT it was a bunch of ballet dancing faggotry where no one actually tries to hit each other.

OT was more fencing based which was pretty cool I guess. The non sabre fighting movements looked wonky as shit and I hate ewoks.
>>
>>63862824
>>63863080

I bet these faggots hate the ladder fight in Jackie Chan's First Strike.

>>63863109

This kind of criticism is totally unfair. The point of the Duel of Fates fight wasn't a clash of two characters who have some intimate connection with one another. The point was to bring to mind centuries of conflict between the forces of good and evil as represented by Jedi and Sith respectively. The use of of the epic score with the Sankrit lyrics help give the sense that one is witnessing a sample of the wars of ages past in the Star Wars universe when the Sith and Jedi were at their height and clashing.

I understand why people prefer the emotional tension of the ESB or ROTJ fight between Luke and Vader, but it isn't necessary that every lightsaber battle have that personal element because most lightsaber battles naturally wouldn't have because not every Jedi and Sith is going to have a personal connection, especially in the context of a full scale war. The intention behind TPM's duel and the OT duels are completely different and TPM's duel does a good job doing what it's supposed to do.
>>
>>63863270

This. The fights in TFA is actually well choreographed and not just fast and flashy.
>>
>>63863212
Bravo Lucas
>>
>>63863183
To be honest that is the weakest fight in the Original Trilogy but it looks like they're sparring with each other until the very last part of the battle. Kind of like they still wanted to have a conversation before they killed each other for good.
>>
>>63863235

Vader moves so slow in ESB, the greatness of the duel is entirely in its story context and not the choreography.

And after that, how many lightsaber duels do we get?
>>
>>63862917
they're literally swords of plasma, why the fuck should they have weight?
>>
>>63863315

>I bet these faggots hate the ladder fight in Jackie Chan's First Strike.

Nah, I enjoy kung fu and various asian martial art stunts, but they look completely out of place in a movie like this.
>>
>>63862824
>but it didn't feel like two characters who were desperately trying to kill eachother

I agree up until Qui-Gon dies. When Obi-Wan comes out of the lazer door the fight definitely has more emotion to it and feels like he's trying to kill Maul and less like the choreography of the fight with all 3 of them leading up to that.
>>
>>63862824
This one hundred percent. What was interesting to me is that during the fights, Kylo took a traditionally more Jedi stance in that he was using broad horizontal and vertical strokes and twirling movements. Rey and Finn were fighting in a more traditionally sith stance, where this a lot of stabbing and thrusting (or kill) strokes.

I could see a situation where Kylo somehow is redeemed but Rey ends up going to the dark side, kind of like what they did with Caedus
>>
>>63863308
>OT was more fencing based which was pretty cool I guess.
It was actually based on Kendo. You want fencing? Look at Count Dooku's shit in II and III.
>>
>>63862908
This. Kylo's force TK was probably the strongest we've seen outside of Yoda.
>>
>>63863396

Just because the sword itself might not weigh much doesn't mean that the momentum of your arms swinging is wasted. Remember that when momentum is taken into account it's the momentum of your body + arms + sword.
>>
>>63862722
Nigga shut up, you're not impressing anyone
>>
>>63863357
>Vader moves so slow in ESB, the greatness of the duel is entirely in its story context and not the choreography.

this is what makes the TFA duels so great. The animosity and hatred is real, not just expected
>>
>>63863183
Have you ever actually seen a sword fight before? Fuck off, underage.
>>
>>63863357
>Vader moves so slow in ESB
That's because he was toying with Luke.
>the greatness of the duel is entirely in its story context and not the choreography.
I guess I'll concede that.
>>
>>63863420
In the fight at the end of RoTJ those movements are blatant fencing thrusts
>>
>>63863397
This. In Jackie Chan's movies you just accept that the henchmen are retards who just don't punch him when he's flailing around. It's part of the charm that you have a silly hero doing silly things and the badguys are equally silly.
>>
Even a silly vidya cutscene had cooler lightsaber duels:
http://youtu.be/FuHJcPVZIUw

Also why are we always watching lightsaber duels between half-trained novices? Why can't we see duels between trained professionals in TFA? I'll bet Luke won't even fight in Ep 8 because Hamill is too old.
>>
>>63862908

Yeah, you mean the way Vader did the same shit in ESB?

>>63863357
>Vader moves so slow in ESB, the greatness of the duel is entirely in its story context and not the choreography.

This. Both the PT and OT's duels serve their respective purposes. The OT is less about the lightsaber duel and more about the emotional tension and context, which has shit all to do with the choreography. The PT duels are meant to show people the "more civilized age" Obi-Wan recalled when lightsabers were common place, lightsaber combat was a diverse "art", and the Jedi and Sith went toe to toe in a clash as much of ideals as power. TPM is able to convey that quite well.

>>63863397

Except for the fact martial arts cinema is one of the many inspirations for the Star Wars saga. The prequels were meant to be more of martial arts films than the OT was and the inspiration of modern martial arts cinema can be seen in PT's fight choreography. Yes, it's a bit flashy and "dance like", but most martial arts you see in action movies is.
>>
>>63863456
Yes thanks champ but that wasn't what was said, was it? A lightsaber shouldn't weigh shit.
>>
>>63862544
Man this looks awful. Not the choreography but the blades and shield effects. And Obi Wan looks stiff as fuck...I'm going to say it's because he's a Padawan.
>>
>>63862824
>desperately trying to kill each other
Kylo was being a flashy show off, he subdued Finn for a significant duration like 3 times but just kept waving his shit around.
>>
>>63863558

>completely missing the point of what "weight" means
>>
>>63863571

Kylo also had these unnecessary spins and shit that just left him open to an attack were Finn an otherwise trained lightsaber user, at least Maul's flips and jumps seem to flow more naturally
>>
>>63862544
no the moves and the sense of impact were better in tfa. You posted a ballet sequence
>>
>>63862604
Kylo has the same excuse.
>>
Best lightsaber fight comin through family.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7hBZNsPnyg
>>
>weight
>going for the kill

i only remember three duels from the OT
ben-vader
luke-vader
luke-vader

first thing is you have to realize george and co were bullshitting the duels as they went along. you guys are essentially adding meaning to something that is not there
so, obviously the ben vader is not strong by any stretch, and in the second luke vader duel in rotj vader got undeniably beaten by pen of the writer. luke literally flails his sword around, vader blatanly takes a compromising position on the railing.

cloud city duel is the only one that is believable and straightfoward, along with developing in smooth way, unlike the others which decide at arbitrary points to declare a winner
>>
>>63863557
>Yes, it's a bit flashy and "dance like", but most martial arts you see in action movies is.

oh so they were inspired by shit so it's okay if it is shit
>>
>>63863557

But the problem is in the PT it gets to such ridiculous levels that characters spend a wonderful amount of time swinging at air and doing back flips and force jumps rather than attacking the opponent, and the amount of effort put into the clashes is paltry and you almost get the feeling the actual characters only care about the combat looking nice.

All of this the result of the hard-on for CGI in the turn of the millennium and more consideration for shit looking cool than looking good.
>>
>>63863557
>Yeah, you mean the way Vader did the same shit in ESB?
ren's antics are set up to be more impressive, also, there's the whole wanting to be like vader thing going on
>>
>>63863653
I feel like you're not putting enough emphasis on the power of the force and how it impacts fighters.

Rey's 'awakening' clearly gives her a physical advantage over Ren who is much larger than her (Driver is 6'3, and a former marine).

By the time Vader goes down I think Luke has truly surpassed him in ability.
>>
>>63863175
"SUPREME LEADER SNOKE"
>>
>>63863175

I think it's the overuse of dramatic irony that turns me off the writing.
>>
>>63862544
Can someone explain to me the functional purpose of those forcefields aside from being a plot device?
>>
>>63863325
>The fights in TFA is actually well choreographed
You're out of your goddamned mind.
>>
>>63862544
couldn't he have just used the Force to push the button to open the gate? instead he had to pick up something off the floor then throw it at the button.
>>
>>63863670

The point is if you want realistic martial arts, you probably shouldn't watch martial arts movies. Only an autist throws a fit about this kinda shit when this is supposed to be fucking entertainment.

Just as the old Star Wars movies took inspiration from 60's and 70's martial arts and champuru cinema, where the martial arts was more low key, the PT reflects the general trend of more modern arts cinema epitomized by the movies of stars like Donnie Yen, Jackie Chan and Jet Li where things aren't really meant to be practical as much as a spectacle. And it works because these are fucking movies.

>>63863685

>But the problem is in the PT it gets to such ridiculous levels that characters spend a wonderful amount of time swinging at air and doing back flips and force jumps rather than attacking the opponent, and the amount of effort put into the clashes is paltry and you almost get the feeling the actual characters only care about the combat looking nice.

Again, you can get the same feeling from a lot of martial arts movies today where it's more about the aesthetic than the realistic functionality of the martial arts being displayed. Jackie Chan has built a career on martial arts that looks less like actual martial arts or more like circus gymnastics with a little martial arts thrown in. Likewise, many sword fights in film are far from how a real sword fight is fought. The OT deserves credit for staying a little more grounded in reality with its fights, and for the emotional tension that makes you forget that really there's not a lot going on in terms of choreography. But the PT is just following a common tradition of a lot of martial arts movies, and it does it very well, perhaps better because this is a more "fantastical" universe than our own, and yet it get more angry criticism than the almost comedic stylistic decisions of Jet Li's films. No Hong Kong or Japanese film director today does martial arts movies today like they were done in the 70's.
>>
>>63863995
this post right here, anons.
these movies are products of their times influenced by culture at the time as well as the developing sensibilities of those involved creatively
you're essentially creating fanfiction to fill in lucas' blindspots
>>
>>63862544
>muh overcoreographed emotionless shit battle
>muh derth maul
Get fucked prequelfags
>>
>>63864179

It's not just that. Let's imagine that Lucas had stuck to imitating the style of fights he did in the OT. While this fights might still have been good and capable of being appreciated by "patrician" cinemaphiles, it's unlikely that they could have sold the movie well or that they would be as memorable as they are today.

The reason Hong Kong movies directors keep upping the ante is because they often feel the need to in order to make sure people will come see their movies. Watch fucking Enter the Dragon and compare it to something coming of Hong Kong or Japan today and there's a huge fucking difference.

People are willing to forgive Enter the Dragon though because it's still a fun movie and it's a product of the 70's. It's the same reason why people can still watch stuff like the 1930's Frankenstein and forgive some of the special effects. These effects may not be "bad" but they certainly would not fly today if one is trying to sell a major motion picture. Lucas understood what he had to do to sell his movie and he did a better job than most people do in my opinion.
>>
>>63863315
>The point of the Duel of Fates fight wasn't a clash of two characters who have some intimate connection with one another. The point was to bring to mind centuries of conflict between the forces of good and evil as represented by Jedi and Sith respectively.

That basically sums up the entire problem of the prequels. People liked the original Star Wars trilogy because you can relate to the characters and are engaged with their personal struggle, not the philosophy or politics stuff that clog up the prequels since Lucas can't do them right.
>>
>>63863062
>accepting Disney kikes revising the canon according to their shekel ledgers

go fuck yourself

nobody who actually likes star wars accepts Marvel Presents: The Force Avenges
>>
>>63864322
That's really the problem, the prequels really shouldn't have been made at all because of the fact that they cover a backstory which is inherently untenable as a filmic story

What's portrayed makes sense in an in-universe context, but is inherently problematic from a film-making perspective. It's just not interesting to sit and watch, no matter how much sense it makes as a backstory.
>>
File: 1413113410705.jpg (28 KB, 199x199) Image search: [Google]
1413113410705.jpg
28 KB, 199x199
>>63862544
>I think I'll try spinning and jumping, that's a cool trick
>>
>>63864322
>>63865122

I don't think Lucas's ideas were limited enough to fit into three single movies. If you notice, George actually depended a whole lot more on the Expanded Universe to make up for everything he had to leave out or ignore just to make three two hour films. That's probably why EUfags can often appreciate the prequels more regardless of the quality of the films themselves because the films become better in light of the EU content. Take the complaint of Obi-Wan and Anakin not being "friends". This problem is solved if you read and watch Expanded Universe material where the two go through all sorts of bonding adventures. And some people would say the CG Clone Wars the animated series did a lot of things the PT probably should have been able to do. The story George conceived for the prequels was more suited for a long running Flash Gordon style serial than a trilogy of motion pictures.

Also, that's probably why I can appreciate the philosophical element to The Phantom Menace more than the average dude, because I actually read the stuff like Tales of the Jedi and saw the battles across centuries between the Jedi and the Sith, so I actually know who the "Sith" are. I remember when ROTS came out, Conan O Brien was on his talk show laughing "I don't even know what the hell a Sith is." And that probably sums up the average movie goer's thoughts. I'm invested in this story because I'm a total geek about this shit.

While some people might see Darth Maul's double bladed weapon as just silly and indicative of the problem with the prequels trading in substance for style, people like myself get the reference this was to the double bladed sabers first shown in the old comics, particularly the double bladed saber of the Sith Lord Exar Kun. But again, average audiences (read: not fucking pathetic nerds) don't get that.
>>
I always considered the PT Lightsabre duels, along with the essential message they were trying to convey for the time-period of the movies were a decadent/renaissance stagnation.

Basically the way fencing works as an 'art'. You can consider how fencing was considered a skilled display of swordsmanship which include similar tactics as PT lightsabre tactics.

Of course after the renaissance period, this art is lost - and lapses into a more unskilled and barbaric form and the cycle repeats.

With that said, PT duels were good in context, OT were great in context and TFA were decent enough when. The only grippe I had with TFA duels was the use of the Force as a kind of trump card.
>>
File: 1316044261211.gif (2 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
1316044261211.gif
2 MB, 400x225
inb4 someone posts that dumbshit analysis video of the brit saying they're not close to hitting each other with the sabers that some low test fag posts in rebuttal to that epic choreography.
>>
>>63865359
I always wished the PT focused heavily on Ob-Wan's journey.

The only piece of EU I ever read was this book about Obi Wan being taken as an apprentice by Qui Gonn. Obi was described as incredibly angry, undisciplined and incredibly skilled.

You actually see a really neat arc for Obi in the three movies. He goes from novice hothead to an arrogant trainer into a wise Jedi.

The biggest tradegy for the PT was the lost potential of the entire Clone Wars era not being see from Obi Wans sole perspective where we can appreciate the descent of Anakin into the dark side from his friend and mentor, while said person is growing as a Jedi into the master we see in the OT.
>>
>>63865456

i think it was already posted.

how autistic do you have to be to examine each frame to see if such cinematic photography actually features real contact when the whole point is to use cinematography and clever positioning to create the illusion of contact?
>>
>>63865571
Exactly, you could do that with practically any fight scene in anything ever

It's not meant to be viewed frame-by-frame, the whole point of film is tricking you into believing you're seeing something you're not
>>
>>63865505

Even something like that would have required more than three films

When George created the OT, he never expected his Star Wars legacy as being anything but those three films at the time, so he made them much tighter.

The PT when divorced from the context of the wider expanded universe seem to lose some of their quality, and this probably because in order to explain Anakin's fall from grace completely and within a wider context, you'd need much more than just three films to do it, regardless of who the main character of the PT was.
>>
File: 1346620078521.gif (2 MB, 288x161) Image search: [Google]
1346620078521.gif
2 MB, 288x161
>there are fags itt who weren't sitting in a packed theater on episode 1 premiere day
>everyone sighing and acting bored during the 20 minute pod-race buildup
>people laughing at Jake Lloyd's bad acting
>entire movie somewhat underwhelming until the double doors open and Darth Maul appears
>Padme says "we'll take the long way" and the crowd claps and cheers
>Darth Maul ignites the second part of the saber staff and EVERYONE CHEERS LOUDER THAN I'VE EVER HEARD
>When Obi does the backward block into forward block nothing but gasps of excitement
>crazy applause and cheering after Maul gets chopped in half
>whole movie is saved as all anyone under 20 is talking about outside of the theater is the Obi-Wan vs Darth Maul duel
>friends immediately get that one generic darth maul poster

35 year old here and that cheesy duel made the film go from meh to slightly above underwhelming. It influenced Jedi Knight II, Jedi Academy, and KOTOR immeasurably and changed the way lightsabers were depicted in most every SW game, Of course they went well overboard with ep 2 and 3, and the sabers seemed to leave longer trails and have way less weight to them in these films.
>>
>>63862544
The praying in the middle of the battle was the only good thing about this. But then again I don't see why they couldn't just try to force push each other into the laser while waiting.
>>
>>63865881

this, jesus christ. Watch the Old Republic CG trailers everyone loves and tell me TPM's ending lightsaber duel didn't influence anything there.

Again, the point of the fight was more to epitomize the ages long battle between the Jedi and the Sith when the most anyone had seen of such a thing were some comics that could never convey just how the fights and wars might look in real time between these factions. The Duel of the Fates score enhances this feeling.

>>63866027

Maul wouldn't short change himself like that and Qui Gon is too honorable to stoop such a thing? besides, they might have just stood there in a game of force tug of war anyway.
>>
>>63863183
>Obi Wan vs. Vader

They weren't just trying to kill each other. They were also having a conversation as old friends and rivals.
>>
>>63863080
>>
The guy who played Maul was fucking awesome
>>
Just watched this fight scene for the first time since my childhood. Darth Maul is cool yeah, but the fight was pure shit. Only thing i like is how he finishes of Qui-Gon
>>
File: PnpE9.gif (499 KB, 272x178) Image search: [Google]
PnpE9.gif
499 KB, 272x178
Could Rey have Mary Sue'd her way into beating Darth Maul 1v1?
>>
>>63863183
>Watch Obi Wan vs. Vader and tell me it looks like they're trying to kill one another.

they are two masters and it's obvious they would keep collected and focused
>>
>>63863548
>having more swords makes you better
That's essentially what this fight was about. With 3 swords he can kill one sith and hold of the other, than the sith gets 3 swords and kills the jedi after 20 seconds
>>
>>63866507
yes because Rey is literally Sheev reincarnated
>>
Daily reminder that final duel between Vader and Luke in episode 6 is by far the best AND most emotional (when Luke thrashes down on Vader in anger) and i feel shitty for even posting in a thread discussing which lightsaber duel in Star Warsâ„¢ is the best.
>>
File: 1450404111818.jpg (414 KB, 1920x820) Image search: [Google]
1450404111818.jpg
414 KB, 1920x820
>>63866724
>NOT Anakin vs Mace Windu

pleb
>>
>>63862824
Agree.
Although I don't think Kylo was trying to desperately kill Finn, pretty sure he was just toying with him.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdgmH9Vv2-I

People like prequel-esque swordfighting in swtor trailers.

People hate swordfighting in prequels.

Why?
>>
File: snake eyes.jpg (20 KB, 570x309) Image search: [Google]
snake eyes.jpg
20 KB, 570x309
The reason why The Phantom Menace looked so different than everything else is because Lucas let Ray Park (Darth Maul, Toad from X-Men, Snake Eyes) choreograph the whole thing as he saw fit - so it went from the traditional western fencing of Bob Anderson in the OT to all the crazy eastern Wushu shit up until TFA. That being said, if Ray Park would have handled the choreography in Episodes 2 and 3 they would have been a lot better (Dooku fight was pretty weak and Anakin v Obi Wan was absurd)
>>
>>63866836
It doesn't look as awkward in a fully CGI-Enviroment, instead of humans awkwardly making CGI-Spins
>>
>>63862544
>Obi-wan leaps up slowly and grabs a lightsaber and turns it on and stabs Maul
>meanwhile Maul is thinking about what evil groceries he needs to get after this 30 minute fight when he has a stroke

Seriously what the fuck he just stands there? For what reason? I like the idea of him doing a suprise attack with Qui-gons saber but the scene just seemed super awkward.

I don't really know how you would fix it either. Maybe have him swing and miss as he's leaping then have obi-wan land the killing blow as he winds up another swing. Just seems like after that long ass fight his reaction times just went to downs syndrome town.
>>
>>63866724
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RFYoZ7H67A

Rewatching this, i have to add, even though we are so familiar with him, that Darth Vader is a god-tier villain. Just everything about him is great, his appearance, his voice, his motivation.
>>
Friendly reminder that despite TFA being PC as shit and Lucas' far east fetish we didn't get to see a kung-fu asian Jedi yet

I hope episode VIII is going to pander to the chinese market instead of this melting pot disney channel bullshit
>>
>>63866865

that's bullshit. some people just see real people and expect something more "realistic." It's just a double standard some people have because they can't suspend some disbelief. It's like the criticism that ROTS looks like a video game. While that's an understandable criticism, it seems silly to throw it at a movie that doesn't have very many pretensions of depicting a "real" environment to begin with. What matters is if it works for the kind of story being told.

Also, if i'm not mistaken a lot of the stuff in the CGI trailers is itself motion capped
>>
>>63862544

> darth maul has the high ground
> loses to obi wan
>>
>>63862544

Dammit, George! Stop making these threads!!!

Eps. 1: John Williams Duel of the Fates and Jedi fight.

Eps 2: Yoda bouncing around.

Eps 3: Barely decent because of nostalgia, very rushed.

There, everything even remotely good about the prequels.
>>
File: rey fight.jpg (122 KB, 1229x591) Image search: [Google]
rey fight.jpg
122 KB, 1229x591
The part when obi-wan has to clear his mind while he's dangling so he can find a way to channel the force and own DM was pretty much Rey being pressed off a cliff clearing her mind so she could channel the force and beat Kylo. Re-watching the scene she does the same stab move like 3 times which is lame, but it does convey emotion well.
>>
Daily reminder that evil male vs good female is the way of the future. This way you can market your film to teenage girls (also bait them with BBC) and males will still identify with ''le badass sith''. Prepare to always be supporting characters in future blockbusters.
>>
lightsabers are shit, lads
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdXxAB4jQTc
>>
>>63863404
>I could see a situation where Kylo somehow is redeemed

What kind of redemption? He already did more horrible shit than Vader did in OT. Maybe Vader napalmed whole villages as well, but it wasn't shown. He seemed to keep his attention on rebel scum, not just wipe out random innocents for the fuck of it.
>>
>>63867086
It's not a fucking naruto super sayan.
she doesnt suddenly just get good at fighting and win against a nigga who been training with the best since he was a boy.
shits gay and u know it pham.
>>
>>63866249
>Again, the point of the fight was more to epitomize the ages long battle between the Jedi and the Sith when the most anyone had seen of such a thing were some comics that could never convey just how the fights and wars might look in real time between these factions. The Duel of the Fates score enhances this feeling.

You've totally grabbed that out of your ass because you know the fight represents a big load of nothing. It is great to watch but doesn't have any storytelling weight.
>>
>>63867311
If i remember correct Vader literally blows up an entire planet
>>
>>63862604
>Luke waving sword around like an untrained faggot
>Implying the prequel Jedi were trained in anything other than professional dancing.
>>
>>63867091
Kylo is basically the scarred dude from Avatar, so they'll probably introduce a female sith to replace him.
Kylo will be a woobie. I would have said he'd end up being the one fucking Rey if he wasn't so ugly, attracting girls in the same way Loki does.
>>
>>63866828
Lucas most never get any credit. Everything he does is horrible. If it's good, it was someone else.
If Lucas came to my house and made me breakfast, I'd have to say that it was Gary Kurtz or Marcia Lucas who really made that meal delicious while I wasn't looking.

Prequel fights are just faster versions of OT fights. There's dumb pirouettes in all the OT fights. Dumb exposing of your back while Vader stands in front of you with a lightsaber and could easily kill Hamill or Guinness. Moments where it clear that Mark Hamill is just hitting Vader's stick, cause the stuntman playing Vader can't see shit cause of his mask so he just stands there. Most of the time they just meet their swords halfway from each others bodies like in every movie swordfight in history and only making kill swings when the other guy ducks half a second ahead. Like that moment in ESB when Luke rolls to Vader's left and than Vader hits the railing to his right even though Hamill moved in the opposite direction a whole second ago. That final salvo that Luke does in ROTJ is great cause of emotions involved and music, but if you slow it down like that autist did with TPM duel, you'll see that Hamill barely tries to hit Vader and just flails around like he's trying to hit some invisible pinata 10 inches above Vader's head.

None of these duels are realistic and if there is a realistic sword fight in a movie, that movie sure as fuck isn't called Star Wars.

But, it's Lucas so we have to shit on it.
>>
>>63866836
>so it went from the traditional western fencing of Bob Anderson

It was always inspired by Kendo. Hamill even said he trained it for ESB. And Anderson only did the stunts, Peter Diamond was the actual choreographer.
>>
>>63867405
That was Tarkin. Sure Vader didn't do much to stop him or wanted to stop him, but Vader's evil always seemed more implied, cause people kept saying how evil he is. Most of the time he's extent of being evil came down to wears black and chokes his officers like a petulant child.

Kylo orders stormtroopers to kill those villagers when it wasn't really necessary. The only way he gets redeemed is cause of the Skywalker family's rather flexible moral stance on mass murderers: if he's related it's okay if he does one good thing at the end. And if Leia or Chewie forgive him, they're retarded. Dark Side ain't an excuse, he's not possessed by a demon.
>>
>>63862544
It was on a Higher Ground than TFA.
>>
>>63862788
who cares about your delusional opininos tho
>>
>>63862544
i agree that fight was good, it was also the only good fight in the entire prequel trilogy
>>
>>63865359
Holy fuck this... So much this, Im so tired of trying to explain all this shit to people.

Literally if you can't even tell me why its called ROTS, just stfu...

If you dont care enough about SW to even read or understand a little bit about the 20,000 years of stories and content lucas and others made over the last 30 years for the rest of the universe outside the movies.
Arguing about why this or that is shit just makes you seriously autistic
>>
>>63862544
hahahahahahaha this really doesn't hold up. Looks like a parody or something. Those fucking sound effects too.

Never rewatch your favorite movies, is what I've learned today
>>
>>63862824
>desperately trying to kill eachother like the fight between Kylo and Finn

Kek. Have you even seen the movie?
>>
>>63867364
>You've totally grabbed that out of your ass because you know the fight represents a big load of nothing.

Except it's true. The point of the fight is more about the cosmic battle between good and evil than it was about the personal struggle of any particular character against another. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Not every fight has to has to be between "brothers" or parents/children to have impact if you actually give a shit about the mythos behind the films.

Within the fight itself when the shield doors close on Maul and Qui Gon and while they wait Qui-Gon sits and he meditates quietly while Maul paces around like an caged animal waiting for a chance to attack. You also see this in other parts of the fight where Maul continually resorts to cheap shots to get the upper hand more than his Jedi opponents. Lucas did shit like this deliberately.

The point of the fight is to display a both a fight and a "dance" between good and evil and light and dark across time, one which as was mentioned in the film and which is seen in other materials as being embodied in the battle between the Jedi who generally represent the light and their counterparts "the Sith," who generally represent the dark. It's the whole reason why the same track "Duel of the Fates" is used in so many other similar battles between Jedi and Sith in Star Wars media, especially the CG Old Republic trailers. Lucas' real problem with the fight was that the movie itself did not delve too much into the Sith and the Jedi so it's hard for audience members less familiar with Star Wars lore to appreciate what Lucas was trying to achieve thematically.
>>
Tfa did saber fights right.
Hate on something else.
>>
>>63868689
>one at the end
>spinning is a good trick
nah.
>>
>>63867091
I've been a down the line white conservative my whole life - I stopped booing the bad guy and started rooting for him by the age of 15.
>>
>>63862544
Why didn't obi wan just use super speed like in the beginning of the movie to get past those shields things?
>>
>>63863125
Kek
>>
>>63869465
They were all fighting in super speed, it was just slowed down for us to watch it.
>>
>>63865423
In real life I think sword fighting became an "art" when there was a long stretch of peace (Japan) or swords got phased out by firearms (Europe). Otherwise people just wanted to kill their opponents as effectively as possible.
>>
>>63862544

You're right. Nothing came close to that level of soullessness.
>>
File: 1431814797134.webm (88 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1431814797134.webm
88 KB, 1280x720
>>63862544
>SW is about all about flipping and severely over-choreographed 30minutes light saber fights
>MUHHHH ACTIONSSSS!

Kill yourself
This is is litterly the worse part of the prequels
>>
>>63867836
>kylo is the scarred fire bender
that's pretty accurate desu
>>
>>63871195
I have a question, is it ever explained how the Rebellion even survived that last fight in RotJ? They destroyed the death star and Super star destroyer, but there were at least two dozen more star destroyers ready to fuck them up the butt.

Did I miss something, or did the rest of the fleet just pack up their shit and go home?
>>
>>63863806
Security checkpoints
Thread replies: 141
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.