[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
JOHN WILLIAMS WHYY???
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
File: star-wars-the-force-awakens.jpg (846 KB, 1674x942) Image search: [Google]
star-wars-the-force-awakens.jpg
846 KB, 1674x942
Say what you want about the prequels but John Williams fucking KILLED the score in them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIl7-rDOuTM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzVBqBosf5w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nk_WHHTQtY

Now how did we go from that magnificence to this pile of generic dogshit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65As1V0vQDM
>>
Snokes theme was good if it was just generic

I hate that they used Binary Sunset everytime something force related happened
>>
>>63861926
Binary Sunset was overused in the OT as well, and Snoke's theme is the opera house theme from III, because he's probably Plagueis or some legendary 'Old Sith'.

>>63861822
The score wasn't as well writen as the prequels IMO but you gotta give the guy a break considering he's 83 fuckin years old
>>
>>63863081
This.

The Resistance theme was actually great, easily one of my favourite SW melodies.
>>
>>63863081
>Snoke's theme is the opera house theme from III
As much as I want to believe Snoke is Plagueis, I don't think "deep male choir sustaining notes" = reusing a theme. There's no similarities beyond it. The Sith theme had that too.
>>
>all these reddit fucking shits defending TFA
wew lad
>>
I liked the new score during the film but none of it really stood out, at least at first.

I want to listen to it separately, but it wasn't bad at all either
>>
I honestly don't remember any of the music outside of classic stuff like the force theme and the Han/Leia love theme.

Really disappointing.
>>
>>63861822
I like Rey's theme, but yes Williams is on his way out.
>>
>>63861822
>Duel Of The Fates
Oh, I knew it sound familiar!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlNNN3Elc_Y
Williams is a hack.
>>
>>63864212
I fail t see the ressemblance aside from the fact that both are played by orchestras and a little bit halfway through the song
>>
>>63864279
The part between 0:10 and 0:23.
>>
>>63864212
not plagiarism they just sound slightly similar
>>
>>63861822
>hints of the imperial march score in Rey's theme

too deep for you plebian
>>
>>63864319
I see what you mean but I would hardly call it inspiration, let alone plagiarism to any extent.
>>
>>63864111
han and leia's theme hit me hard man
>>
>>63864212
Hell, most of Williams original score is lifted from the serials Lucas so admired and motifs from The Planets by Gustav Holst.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0bcRCCg01I
This is common knowledge and how Williams operates. His entire success is founded on the fact that he knows what and from where to lift from classical music history so well, and not just in Star Wars.
>>
>>63861822
but it always was a pile of generic dogshit, anon.
>>
>>63861822
The soundtrack is available on Youtube, and a listening outside of the movie shows that there are some good things about TFA soundtrack. I think that the action and all the "everything is going to fast" left the music un-noticed. Rey's Theme is actually pretty great and grew on me. The Jedi Steps can be easily whistle, for example. Also, the end credits themeselves act like a best of the soundtrack, allowing us to appreciate the work of Williams. TFA's soundtrack may not be as good as the OT in terms of classics and recognizable themes, but wait and see Episode VIII to let the new sountrack reach its potential.

>>63861926
Technically Binary Sunset is the Force theme, so it is logical it occurs every time the Force is in play. The prelogy used it as well.
>>
Lucas was actually good at a few things, and I believe one of them was working with John Williams. Obviously Williams brings a lot to the table, but I think Lucas had a big hand in collaboration, while JJ perhaps less so.

The prequels and OT were big and colorful, with loud characters, giving Williams a lot to work with. VII has this, but is also very much a product of grim 2015 blockbusters, and memorable scores in general are kind of out of vogue these days.
>>
File: Obi-Wan-Kenobi_6d775533.jpg (69 KB, 768x432) Image search: [Google]
Obi-Wan-Kenobi_6d775533.jpg
69 KB, 768x432
>yfw Binary Sunset sounds like Somewhere Over the Rainbow
>>
Original Trilogy was all orchestral

Prequel Trilogy had a lot of choral stuff

Sequel Trilogy should have gone full-synth or something
>>
>>63861822
>Uses Rey's Theme as something bad
Way spot a sexist.
>>
Although the overall soundtrack wasn't bad, there was nothing special about it. It's the same thing when you compare the Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit.

Not even Ren has some special Imperial March-esque theme, which was really dissapointing. The OST was one of the weakest parts of TFA for me.
>>
>>63867815
The Imperial March didn't appear until ESB. Have patience, I'm sure we'll great some great music. Snoke and Resistance themes were awesome anyway.
>>
>>63865634
In short, he is, and has always been a hack.
>>
>>63867691
>Sequel Trilogy should have gone full-synth
What in the actual fuck. Is you brain turned on?
>>
>>63861822
Rey's theme - not something you can hum, is it.
>>
>>63861822
He's old as fuck.

At this point he's grateful that he woke up without dying.
>>
>>63861926
That is literally the Force theme, no shit it's going to be played everytime something force related happens.
>>
There were a couple of nice themes in the prequels.

The rest of it was reused from the OT or just inane drumming.

John Williams hasn't been what he used to be in a long time.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.