[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Discuss David Lynch's Dune.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3
File: Maud'dib.jpg (304 KB, 1597x2469) Image search: [Google]
Maud'dib.jpg
304 KB, 1597x2469
Discuss David Lynch's Dune.
>>
i always liked the arab/muslim vibe of dune series.
>>
Awesome cinematography, set design, costume design, special effects, and music. Some good parts to the story, but overall the story is the weakest part, but still unintentionally hilarious and quotable.

9/10 classic cult movie.
>>
Princess Irulan should have been more prominent in the story.
>>
Special Edition is based desu
>>
>>63860821
It's cool, but all of the actors in the movie are white.
>>
It has a fetal manatee shit lasers.

More seriously, this video illustrates how I feel about this movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj-b7Hjy-T8
>>
>>63860715
I think it's great. Visually it's fantastic, and the story while it took some liberties with the lore, it was still great.
>>
>>63860836
you forgot the deliciously hammy acting
>>
It's garbage. What is there to say? Its an offensive rendition of a classic novel
>>
>>63861086
Also, I just now put together that Paul is agent Dale Cooper. Interesting
>>
>>63860969
Is this guy John Oliver's son? He does the exact same arrogant bitch sthick, right down to using hyperbolic similes for jokes and doing a sketch that shows how things should be
>>
>>63861155
he was also the star of blue velvet where he was raped by isabella rosellinni
>>
https://youtu.be/Pj9UcKj7Dxo
>>
>>63860969
I gave it 4 seconds, best I can do.
>>
File: battle pug.gif (467 KB, 200x222) Image search: [Google]
battle pug.gif
467 KB, 200x222
>>63860715
I like the set design, the costumes and the main cast. Cut out too much of the religious elements from the plot, poorly developed the Harkonnens and the feud between them and the Atreides. The shorter cut is too jumpy if you don't know the story going in, the longer cut is at least a coherent narrative.
>>
What's with the Dune threads all of the sudden? Was something announced?
>>
>>63860969
you feel like a fat manchild with a poor sense of humor?
>>
>>63860715
>Boring as fuck.
>Stuck too much with the book
I don't hate it but when you make a movie adaptation of a book I think the director should take some initiative in script. Why would I want to watch something I already read ?
>>
>>63861342
Has he made love with David Lynch? Lynch seems to like him. A lot.
>>
>>63861503
No, but one thread inspires another.
>>
>>63860715
Could've been incredible
Ended up butchered
>>
>>63860821
you are perhaps confusing David Lynch's Dune with the miniseries, which had a much deeper eastern look and feel to it. the Fremen actually wore cloaks, and not fetish rubber diving suits.
>>
>>63861456
Yeah the movie has a really great and immersive look. The Harkonnens were poorly developed but their planet looked cool and their overacting was at least consistently entertaining.
>>
File: frankherbertisDisappoint.jpg (104 KB, 462x586) Image search: [Google]
frankherbertisDisappoint.jpg
104 KB, 462x586
>>63861503
hint: a lot of the imagery of Star Wars was stolen from the book of Dune.
>>
miniseries was better
>>
>>63861022
I thought that was implied with the story being unintentionally hilarious and quotable, but yes.

I feel like if the only could've made the story, acting, and dialog better they would've had the sci-fi epic on par with Star Wars they wanted, because everything else about the movie is absolutely perfect. With the troubled production, it's actually a miracle it turned out as well as it did even if it's severely flawed, but nevertheless I feel it's still an entertaining movie. Maybe not a good adaptation, but neither is Starship Troopers and both are fine movies able to stand on their own in spite of the deviations from the source material.
>>
>>63860715
dont tell me what to do
>>
Any successful movie adaption of Dune would have to do a LOT of condensing and simplification, doing things like getting rid of the Emperor entirely and just having the Harkonnen fill that role. Fans would bitch endlessly and it would lose a lot of its appeal as a lived-in universe

On the other hand, I don't think there's enough there for it to be adapted well for television beyond maybe the first book.
>>
>>63860715
>Discuss David Lynch's Dune.

Autism encapsulation of a book that is autismus epic.

Still, the first half is great, the second rushes everything I can almost hear the producers screaming at the editors to include all the important plot points. This could have been a great series of epic sci-fi movies, despite the autism, sort of like Lawrence of Arabia in space.
>>
>>63862040
it would also suffer the same problem john carter did: it would require a massive budget but nobody in the current generation has even heard of it so there would be no guarantee enough people would go see it. it's way too risky to justify its cost

not to mention Dune's story is the complete opposite of the ADHD stories that movies have to have now in order for modern audiences to be able to follow
>>
>>63862119
>of a book that is autismus epic
>i've never red Dune
>>
>>63861086
This. The weirding way is a megaphone? What the fuck? It was supposed to be martial arts action, and not a fucking prop.
>>
>>63862119
>le autism meme
>everything i don't like is autism which i use a buzzword synonym for crap
fuck outta here
>>
dat Toto doing all the music save Brian Eno's contribution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpOW_idmVoQ

GLORIOUS
>>
>>63862363
>nobody in the current generation has even heard of it
I don't think that's true, Lynch's movie has been played on broadcast TV and basic cable very steadily for years, I saw it again within the last couple months. I don't know if it's on any streaming service but I wouldn't be surprised if it was. The 2000 Sci-Fi Channel miniseries was its highest rated broadcast ever, and I don't think it's been surpassed yet. All of Herbert's books remain in print and somebody out there is buying his son and KJA's spinoff novels.
>>
We watched this in theater tech class one so the teacher could tell us about costumed and set designs

It was the only movie in school where I saw it put almost everyone alseep
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.