[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why did his career fail?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6
File: Viggo-Mortensen-009.jpg (612 KB, 2060x1236) Image search: [Google]
Viggo-Mortensen-009.jpg
612 KB, 2060x1236
why did his career fail?
>>
He rejected the superficiality and soullessness of Hollywood. His career didn't fail, he just didn't sell his soul.
>>
>>63860458
IT WILL RISE AGAIN. MARK MY WORDS, VIGGO MORTENSEN WILL PLAY ROLAND DESCHAIN, THE LAST GUNSLINGER.
>>
>>63860458
it didn't fail at all. pretty sure his lack of presence in hollywood is his own discretion. smart man
>>
viggo is too based for his own good
>>
There's something very dignified and noble about him that just makes it hard for him to conform to Hollywood.

I can't decide if he was that affected by playing Aragorn, or if he was just always like that and it became more prominent as he rose in fame.
>>
nothing failed, you're a moron.
>>
It didn't fail. He has "Fuck You" money thanks to LotR and now he picks and chooses the projects he wants. He's come a long way from Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3, and I'm happy for him.

A History of Violence is his best film, and Hidalgo is criminally underrated.
>>
>>63860458
Because he doesn't look right without a beard
>>
>>63861063
The road was better than both of those senpai
>>
File: americanyakuza.jpg (73 KB, 600x844) Image search: [Google]
americanyakuza.jpg
73 KB, 600x844
Anyone ever watch this movie? It reminded me of a lower budget, more action oriented Donnie Brasco. Still pretty fucking based though.
>>
File: viggo butt.jpg (10 KB, 300x209) Image search: [Google]
viggo butt.jpg
10 KB, 300x209
This is now a Viggo appreciation thread.
>>
>>63861381

that was an amazing scene
>>
>>63860458
He seems to not really go out of his way to find work.

He seems to be a depressed fuck watching him in interviews, or maybe he's just super mellow and chill. He's a great actor, so I guess he's content with his life, living on lotr money, and excelling in the odd job he gets. I'm jelly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Esqk5ispuuE
Also, his son is super chubby, I bet he's a little shit who takes advantage of his dad's chillness.
>>
he and his mustache were pretty based in appaloosa
>>
Reminder that he wasn't originally Aragorn. Stuart Townsend originally had the part.
>>
I would have liked to see him instead of Tom Hardy in the Revenant. He plays a great bad guy
>>
>>63861575
Viggo replacing anyone is almost always a massive improvement.
>>63861556
literally who?
>>
>>63860458
he is a very ordinary actor
>>
Watch Alatriste on youtube with english subs.
>>
>>63860846
No thanks
>>
>>63860458
He spoke out against Israel and the Zionist movement, and since a majority of people working in Hollywood are Jewish, he was blacklisted.

http://i100.independent.co.uk/article/aragorn-has-this-to-say-about-israel--eynNv6MBrl

>inb4 back to pol
>>
>>63861267
It is if you're 15
>>
>>63861267
>>63861063
Usually I'd call you plebs for not having the same opinion as me, but all three of those films are great. Still not the best, though. Plebs.
>>
>>63860506
>>63864476

This
Thank God someone knows the truth.
>>
>>63864476
I knew the jews were behind this!
>>
>>63860458
Not enough ass shots desu senpai
>>
>>63861063
Hidalgo is a decent movie, I don't know why it got shit on so badly.
>>
>LOTR Trilogy
>The Road
>A History of Violence
>Eastern Promises

Shiiet nigga even 28 days and Hidalgo weren't that bad. I've also read Apaloosa is good
>>
>>63861476
>He seems to be a depressed fuck watching him in interviews, or maybe he's just super mellow and chill.
It's a combination of factors. He can be pretty laid back, but when you're doing press junkets and answering what amounts to the same questions over and over it wears you down.

There was a great one I watched where he and Sean Bean bantered back and forth. The Australian guy interviewing them had the good sense to play on that and it wound up being the liveliest I'd ever seen Viggo be.
>>
>>63860458
he was too based
>>
File: appaloosa[1].jpg (523 KB, 3108x1850) Image search: [Google]
appaloosa[1].jpg
523 KB, 3108x1850
>>63865062
>He's in a Viggo thread
>He's discussing Viggo films
>He's listing the good ones
>He hasn't seen Appaloosa

Anon, I want you to watch Appaloosa at your earliest convenience. By which I mean right now. Get your dick out of your hand and download the film. Fucking do it.
>>
>>63860458
it didn't
he made a fortune on LotR and now he doesn't need to actively seek out roles for a living, he just does the roles he wants to do, no matter how big or small they are
>>
Apparently Viggo is a pretty pretentious guy who picks his roles very carefully.
He's like the anti-Daniel Day Lewis.
Lewis also picks his roles carefully but he picks super oscar bait films. For good reason.
Viggo on the other hand just picks super foreign indie films.
Regardless both could be considered the greatest actors ever. Its just that one embraces american films and the other doesnt.
>>
>>63865394
>A half Danish man who grew up in Argentina and has spent long portions of his life living in Spain and England is pretentious for making films in those places

You don't know what pretentious means.
>>
>was just in Jauja, which showed up on plenty of Best Of lists this year

He's doing just fine. After LOTR he's just doing whatever he wants.
>>
>>63865487
>Achieves stardom and recognition from a big budget american film
>continues a career of low budget foreign films and talks down on what made him famous
look. he's a man of art. he's in it for the craft of filmaking and i appreciate that. But come on. You dont think he's a little pretentious?
>>
>>63865702
No, he's just making a life choice. Nothing remotely *buzzword* about it.
>>
>>63865702
No. You've said it yourself, he's in it for the craft of filmmaking. He's a man of art.

If he was picking obscure foreign films just so that people would see him picking obscure foreign films that would be pretentious. The clue is in the word itself; pretentious, pretence.

There's no pretence with Viggo. He did some films for the money early on, he struck oil in LotR, and now he just does whatever he wants. That's not pretentious, that's every actor's dream.
>>
>>63865702

He spent the entire 90's in the cheap crime thriller grindstone.

Go watch Boiling Point or Albino Alligator and then maybe you'll see why he didn't want to be in the Hollywood mainstream. The guy was a workhorse for years, got his big break and then took his money and does what he wants now.
>>
File: image.jpg (80 KB, 416x467) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80 KB, 416x467
>>63860458
If I had I cast a Grand Admiral Thrawn, this man would be him.

I don't know if he'd agree to it though.
>>
>>63862093
>literally who?
lietarlly the guy who is always considered for some big role but then gets fucked over. LOTR, Star Wars, Cpt. America.
origins of JUST can be traced back to him.
>>
>>63865702
>You dont think he's a little pretentious?

Fucking americans don't understand that not everything is done based on fame
>>
>>63860458
>fail

He's the king.
>>
>>63866072
Im kinda glad Townsend didnt get the role.
I feel like he woulda just done his weird smug creepy LoEG and queen of the damned roles again.
Viggo was very natural in the reclusive calmness that was needed.
>>
>>63860458
i cant believe thats aragon

hes SO OLD NOW...
>>
Because he didn't let da lard arf da blarck larnd cam farth
>>
>>63860458
He's going on Daniel Day Lewis's way
>>
I still remember him as the cripple in Carlito way. This guy is much better than Daniel Day Lewis. He just doesn't give a fuck about Hollywood. Joaquin Phoenix has the same mentality.
>>
>>63860506
This
>>
>>63860846
I wish , but it will be a neger who plays roland
;_;
>>
>>63867290

Steven King wouldn't allow it.
>>
>>63867322
Steven King is a cuck tho, so he might
>>
>>63861063
>hidalgo
That is good.
>>
>>63865185
GOAT Western
Based Viggo, based Harris, based Irons, even Zellweger was good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GGF3Zz2o9Q
>>
File: 1353562361198.jpg (24 KB, 313x286) Image search: [Google]
1353562361198.jpg
24 KB, 313x286
>>63867092
>I still remember him as the cripple in Carlito way.
Short scene but he was great there

>mfw porcel
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.