[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, let me see if I get this straight: Upon touching a lightsaber,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 18
File: rey-and-kylo-ren1.jpg (98 KB, 672x372) Image search: [Google]
rey-and-kylo-ren1.jpg
98 KB, 672x372
So, let me see if I get this straight:

Upon touching a lightsaber, Rey is not only able to use the Jedi mindtrick but also able to beat Kylo in a lightsaber duel.

Assuming that Kylo had been fully trained and not shot by Chewbacca, he would've beaten Rey, right?
>>
Ren was dealing with the fact that he just murdered his dad, got shot in the side, and took some chop from Finn.

Can we really consider Rey heroic if she fought this dude when he was at 60% health?
>>
>>63856678
this
>>
>>63856678
>and took some chop from Finn
he should have been able to kill Finn easily. Fin was good with a blaster but he was horrible with a saber.

also how did Leia know Han died? Is she force sensitive?
>>
>>63856751
>The Force is strong in my family. My father has it. My mother had it. I have it. My sister has it.

>mother had it
She sure did George.
>>
>>63856751
She's Darth Vaders daugher I assumed she could sense shit like that
>>
>>63856751
Same way she deep down knew Luke was her brother which she admitted when Luke told her.
>>
This trilogy is complete shit unless she turns out to be a Revan-esque character and does a complete 180 by the end of the third movie.
>>
>>63856599
>Assuming that Kylo had been fully trained and not shot by Chewbacca, he would've beaten Rey, right?
no shit

also, before the autists start up, there are a few important details to be noted
>Kylo Ren was never as powerful as he seemed. He wasn't even a star pupil. He was an ordinary one selected by snoke for his vulnerability and insecurity.
>There is no reason to believe that the way Luke ran his Jedi Temple involved heavy use of lightsaber training. Most of Kylo's saber training would have come from his time on the dark side and we know that he's still padawan tier sith
>We know that Finn had melee arms training because so did that other stormtrooper
>We know that Rey had lifetime experience protecting herself from getting robbed or raped in the desert her entire adolescence
>Kylo was injured but overpowered Finn because he wasn't force sensitive
>Rey psyched him out, had the force guide her, and was at least as capable in melee combat as Finn on her own if not better

it all makes sense plebs. Pick apart other shit they got wrong
>>
>>63856751
>Is she force sensitive?
She's Luke's sister you retard.
>>
It's obvious it's going to turn out Rey was trained by Luke or might even be his daughter, that's why they're ambiguous about her origins and how she knows about the massacre of his pupils and force-suggestions and shit, they're just keeping that reveal for the other movies.
>>
>>63856915
>>We know that Finn had melee arms training because so did that other stormtrooper
Wasn't Finn on sanitary duty though? I'd think Stormtroopers are trained depending on their function.
>>
>>63856958
agree with you, daughter of luke
>>
>>63856751

Leia also senses Luke is alive at the end of ESB and RotJ, so yes.
>>
>>63856977
Even if he was primarily sanitation, I doubt they would have sent him to battle without weapons training.
>>
>>63856599
Um, the saber crystal is now filled with force energy, or something.
+87 force skills after you equip it.
>>
Have there been any good memes from this turd pile yet or is it not even good for that?
>>
>>63856977
it seems implied that they all have varying duties in peacetime but he was obviously trained for combat. That's why he was deployed. Every stormtrooper must be, and sanitation is pretty much about as expendable a job as there is
>>
>>63856599
The Mind Trick is not that big of a deal. If the more weak minded you are, the more susceptible to mind trickery you are, then First Order Stormtroopers are probably pretty god damn weak minded given that they have been conditioned since birth to be susceptible to military orders.
>>
>>63856599

The thing people don't get is that Luke is thee guy. Like the most famous person in the universe. Jedi aren't some folk lore. I'm sure Rey heard many stories of the Force and that one time Luke used the jedi mind trick on Mos Eisly.
Every other person shot with chewies blaster flys backward. Ren takes it like a champ. Clearly it hurts him, as he keeps touching it during the fight.
>>
>>63857045
Pretending it was bad is the new hot meme right now
>>
File: TR-8R.gif (75 KB, 180x180) Image search: [Google]
TR-8R.gif
75 KB, 180x180
>>63857045
>>
>>63856977
The movie opens with Finn on a mission so that sanitation argument doesn't really hold water.
>>
>>63856599
she's luke's daughter breh
>>
>>63857045
Trey Torr is the only one I think. It's too mediocre and middle of the road for meme, unlike the Nolan movies.
>>
>>63856678
Exactly. Ren seems quite strong actually, I mean, did you see anyone else stopping a blaster midair?
>>
>>63857045
>TRAITOR!
>into the garbage shoot
>spoiling you-know-who's death
>I'll give you.... a quarter portion for that post
>>
>>63857055
You know I never really put together that even in the OT mind tricks mostly just work on people that are already subservient, like stormtroopers or bib fortuna.
>>
Even feminists have admitted tha Rey is a Mary sue, you niggers can stop defending this garbage now
>>
>>63856599
My interpretation was that she had heard myths and rumors about Jedis, and in one of the stories, they talked about Jedi mind tricks. And so, realizing that the Force is real and that she can use it, she gives the Jedi mind trick a try.

The sequence itself is a rip-off of the Wampa scene. Luke is hanging upside down (Rey is tied up) and there's a wampa (stormtrooper) nearby. Luke tries to use the Force to pull the lightsaber to him/Rey tries to use the Force to trick the stormtrooper, but they're not successful the first two times. Finally, they calm down and focus, and are successful and get away.

Because TFA just rips off everything from the other movies. It's mostly just a rewrite of ANH, but the other original trilogy films are in there. Nothing really taken from the prequels (you can't even say "clones" because clones were mentioned in ANH, too).
>>
>>63856819

Luke never claimed his mother had it at any point in the saga.

The line is "The Force is strong in my family. My father has it. I have it. My sister has it."
>>
>>63857340
Imagine if this scene were cut entirely
like it goes from her and kylo having the confrontation and when he comes back she's just gone
that would have heavily implied she used the force somehow to just escape but we wouldn't have seen how

then when she pulls the lightsaber to herself that would have been really fucking powerful instead of just the next logical step in the battle
>>
>>63857199
It was his first mission. He probably had blaster training at best since that was what he kept asking for when weaponless.
>>
>>63857424
>that would have heavily implied she used the force somehow to just escape but we wouldn't have seen how
Then people would call it a plot hole and say she's a bigger mary sue.
>>
>>63856819
Haven't seen the movie yet, what's the context of the scene in which this is said? The vision?
>>
>>63856915
>We know that Rey had lifetime experience protecting herself from getting robbed or raped in the desert her entire adolescence
>tfw no Rey cunny
>>
>>63857472
It's purely from the trailer. It doesn't appear in the movie itself. Luke is hardly in the movie at all.
>>
>>63856751
be more subtle next time and you'll get more bites
>>
>>63856599
>Upon touching a lightsaber, Rey is not only able to use the Jedi mindtrick but also able to beat Kylo in a lightsaber duel.
She probably got it from his failed attempt to mindrape her when she reversed it on him after trying to resist.

That's somewhat plausible compared to your dumbfuck autist lightsaber savant theory. Did you even watch the film?
>>
>>63857438
Are you saying that because it was his first mission he wasn't fully trained? Are you saying that because he asks for guns it's impossible for him to know how to use melee weapons?
>>
>>63856599

She got tipped off to the fact that she can do mind shit with her mental duel with Kylo Ren. Couple that with what >>63857340 says, she probably heard stories about it and decided what the hell, give it a try.
>>
It doesn't matter. The entire galaxy bends and shifts to accommodate Rey at all times. She's a better pilot than Han Solo despite having never left her homeworld. She's better at fixing the Falcon than either Chewie or Han despite having never set foot on it before. After missing her first shot, she's a perfect shot with a blaster pistol from astonishingly long range despite having never fired one before. She's never used the Force or even held a lightsaber before but is somehow immediately a vastly more competent Jedi than Luke ever was in the OT. And despite growing up as a scavenger on a world where the only way to get food is to turn in scrap, she's somehow an expert in galactic history.

She's pretty much the most ridiculously overpowered Mary Sue I've ever seen in a movie. I'm almost certain that Abrams wrote a self-insert Star Wars fanfic when he was young and just genderswapped his self-insert, then turned it into a movie.
>>
>>63856751
Leia is force sensitive according to RotJ.
>>
So let me get this straight? Luke just suddenly used the force and blew up a death star?
>>
>>63857576
She's definitely heard stories about Jedi and Luke Skywalker and the Force, so yeah, it's probable she heard about the Jedi mind trick, too.

It's like, if you suddenly found out the Force was real, you'd probably try to do some of the stuff you've seen in the Star Wars movies, especially if you didn't have much choice.
>>
>>63857659
>Uses the force to train against training drone
>suddenly able to use it for shooting the torpedoes
same thing :)
>>
>>63856599
Son let me get this straight. Kylo is autistic right? Like legit autism?
>>
>>63857591
>JJ responsible for the plot

I'm almost certain your an asshat
>>
>>63857591
I agree with you except for two points. She could have fixed the Falcon or worked on it in return for rations so it's plausible she was familiar with it. Also, word gets around the galaxy and she hangs around with some unusual characters so maybe she's heard some vague tales about the war.
>>
>>63857659
Luke had been piloting things in the past. Luke had the guidance of Obi-Wan. Luke had a lot of back-up to get to the point where he could shoot.
>>
>>63856599
Oh yeah, definitely. Kylo had every single thing against him already before fighting Rey. He was weak and knew very little about actually using the force correctly.

The only reason he's a leader is because he's force sensitive, he's not that strong, but definitely stronger than Rey if they're both in top condition
>>
>>63857861
Not to mention his backstory is specifically him messing around with his bush plane shooting desert animals so he knows how to shoot.
>>
>>63857771
>hits himself when frustrated
>lashes out violently against parents

Yup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_23z9yJAq0
>>
>>63856599
He's not fully trained that's why Snokes mentions completing his training right before the planet blows up.
>>
>>63857884
>he's not that strong

He can stop blaster fire mid-air and hold it there.
>>
>>63856915
Underrated post. This sums it up for me.

Of course Ren would have beaten her at full power.

Basically she was a victor of circumstance.
>>
>>63856988
This time Luke gets to say "I am your father"
Rey will be like
>YEEEESSS
>>
>>63857575
I'm saying he probably wasn't trained in melee because it would go only to specialized soldiers since its only purpose is to exist as a counter to Lightsaber/Force wielders.
>>
>>63857948

Yeah, but she's not trained AT ALL. Period.
>>
>>63856751
Finn trained with a plunger when he was working sanitation so he had hidden skillz.
>>
>>63857591
>he's never used the Force or even held a lightsaber before but is somehow immediately a vastly more competent Jedi than Luke ever was in the OT.

I'm guessing she was one of Luke's trainees but had her memories messed with and was stuck on a backwater when things went bad. If so she could have had force training from an early age.
>>
>>63857884
The only reason people are saying Kylo is weak is as a way to justify Rey winning. Throughout the rest of the film Ren's force powers were shot in a very menacing and threatening manner, his power is explicitly stated, its implied he killed Jedi and he was trained by Luke and Snoke. It's not like the movie made him seem like an incompetent loser from the start, he was presented as a legitimate and dangerous threat.
>>
>>63857969
Dammitr.. Just dawned on me they will probably roll with Luke being her dad, Rey being pissed coz he abandoned her and then her turning to the dark side.
>>
>>63856915
>this much mental gymnastics to make up for shit writing
>>
>>63858062
that would be a bretty cool twist tho
>>
>>63858011
This is all speculation, nowhere is it shown that Rey was trained. Luke's training practices are never implied.
>>
Mayrey Sue all the way. Not just the force stuff.
>>
>>63856915

Okay, so I get that shit, but how the fuck is able to use the Force so effortlessly to perform feats that took Luke ages to learn despite not having any training whatsoever, all within the first movie?
>>
>>63857951
>>63858045
>good at the force means good at dueling
"no"
>>
>>63858152
Because she is speshul.
They want the hunger games audience and she is katniss.
>>
>>63858093
>This is all speculation
Sure that's why I'm saying "I'm guessing". But it would provide a logical connection for both her connection to Luke and her accelerated proficiency with the force.

This isn't the only place where the movie doesn't do a lot of exposition and trusts us to fill in the gaps from the tidbits we get.
>>
>>63858152
It's possible she already had force training, as one interpretation of the lightsaber "flashbacks". One way or the other we'll find out next movie.
>>
>>63858001
Luke was nowhere near as trained as Vader when he fought him but he won anyway. An unskilled saber user can be just as dangerous as a skilled one due to their reckless and unpredictable attacks.
>>
>>63858189
Its much easier to believe that a force user who has trained under Luke and Snoke for years and who has fought Jedi would be more skilled at duelling then a scavenger.
>>
>>63856599
Rey is the most Mary Sue character I've ever seen.
>>
>>63858370

Only after self-training for four years and soundly losing once before.

Rey has never held a lightsaber or used the Force before NOW.
>>
>>63858370
Luke was thrown around by vader the first two movies.
and that is a crippled vader we are talking about here.
>>
>>63858253
This just seems more like a way to justify Rey defeating Ren then a justifiable, organic conclusion from everything the movie has shown us
>>
>>63858384
She was losing to an injured Kylo Ren for most of the fight. She basically just got one chance when backed against the wall and capitalized. I could see Kylo having finally gotten worn down by bloodloss.
>>
>>63856599
Man, there's a lot of bullshit going on there.

> barely 30 minutes holding on to the lightsaber
> can barely beat someone who is already trained (though not yet perfect, but still --- it's like seeing an 8th grader lost to a 2nd grader because the 8th grader has a booboo in his shoulder).

Did they make her win to show how strong women are now? cause, y'know... that's a fucking stupid reason.

I don't mind woman showing their worth and being called equal, but NOT in a bullshit way.
>>
>>63858460
>justify
I would say her miraculous skill is REASON to think that there something like that going on. The comparison to Revan is apt. In Kotor everyone comments about how amazing it is that your power progress so quickly and then you learn whats going on and shit makes sense. Sure it's possible that they just said fuck it and went full Mary Sue, but these are skilled filmmakers, I think it's equally if not more likely that there are reasons for it that the filmmakers just haven't felt like they needed to spoonfeed the audience yet.
>>
>>63858465

Dude it's not just winning or losing. Sword fighting takes training. It's not natural. Finn should have been dead in 5 seconds, and her not much longer. Force or no force, you need training.

Same for flying. But hey she was great at that too, better than Han!
>>
All of this talk about whether she should have beat him or not is kind of pointless. The big thing is that she was about as perfect as a character comes and that is just boring. She's a great pilot. A great technician. A great engineer. A great force user. This is not exciting to watch.
>>
>>63858628
This. Even fucking superman has his weaknesses and flaws.
>>
>Rey is overpowered, she shouldn't have been able to beat Kylo
This seems to be people's number one complaint about this movie. I just watched it for the second time. For 90% of that dual, he is kicking her ass. Every time their sabers meet, hers is forcefully knocked away, leaving her wide open. He spent the whole time advancing, and she spent the whole time retreating. Then he tells her that she needs a teacher, and it hit me. Snoke had ordered Kylo to bring her to him. He was trying to wear her sown so she'd surrender and he could fulfill that order. She only actually has the upper hand for about five seconds, and only because she took him by surprise. It's pretty obvious what's going on, if you're watching for it.
>>
>>63858628
this
>>
>>63856599
>Assuming that Kylo had been fully trained and not shot by Chewbacca, he would've beaten Rey, right?
Yes, he still would've been emotionally compromised but he wouldn't destroyed Finn and her, no problem. Kylo was annihilating everything until he got shot by Chewie, his reflexes are good enough to STOP A FUCKING LASER BLAST.

>>63856678
>Can we really consider Rey heroic if she fought this dude when he was at 60% health?
Did you see how strong Chewie's fucking blaster was? It was mulching Stormtroopers left and right. Try maybe 30-40%.
>>
>>63856599
If Kylo had been fully trained, he would be able to control his anger properly. Like Anakin his self doubt was his own undoing.
>>
>>63858807
that she took him by surprise is the same reason people are surprised, she suddenly gets a burst of force that makes her much more proficient. Also after she first knocked him down, he would probably have realized that this was a fight to the death. I just don't like how Rey seems to come up with the right abilities and powers in almost all situations.
>>
>>63858807
that is such a massive stretch it's cringe worthy
>>
>>63856915
Everything but "muh training" is correct. I would go so far as to say that any training or habits would get in the way of wielding a saber. They aren't intuitive because they have no balance or weight to speak of. You're literally holding a stone in your hand and swinging like the hilt of a sword. Shit wielding a regular sword takes crazy wrist strength even though they never do that stupid cross-swords bullshit. It's a very specific skill set that nobody but trained force users would have for any reason.

Even tonfa man wouldn't be able to use one effectively. Traitorous, I know.
>>
>>63858618
>Same for flying. But hey she was great at that too, better than Han!

Han landed on a planet from hyperspace by feel. I'd say he's the better pilot.
>>
>>63856599
Like Jedi Holocrons in some of the EU games (I know, non canon, whatever) training can be "passed down" or "Learned" rather quickly from a force imbued object. Plus she already has melee combat training from the scums on Tattoine. Er... Jakuu.
>>
The answer is simple, much like R2D2 the lightsaber was in lowpower mode with a midichlorian boost imbued by luke skywalker dead hand up until Rey touched it, giving her all the knowledge she needs from that leftover bacteria
>>
>>63857940
he only hit his side during the fight with rey to psyche himself up and tell himself it doesn't hurt.
>>
she was literally good at everything she tried like immediately

it was a bit much. She was a scavenger, so that means she's a genius when it comes to ship operations/repair and whatever. Ok, that works I guess. Her being a really good pilot? bit of a stretch, but she grew up around ships and stuff so I guess that works too.

Her fucking jedi mind-tricking a stormtrooper, when at this point she had NEVER USED THE FORCE BEFORE is fucking bullshit. also being that competent with a lightsaber and a blaster, despite from as far as we know never having used one of either before, is stupid as fuck too.

say "but kylo was hurt!" all you want, doesn't change the fact that rey was just exceedingly competent at everything pretty much immediately.

wouldn't be as much of a problem if Rey had any character outside of "i was abandoned on not-tatooine :("
>>
>>63856944
twin sister
>>
>>63859133
It all hinges on what exactly was up with the lightsaber and the meaning of her visions. I still like the mindwipe theory.
>>
>>63857032
A soldier can have any different kind of MOS from sanitation to artillery to field medic. They all receive the same basic training to a point. The real differences pop up when they get comfortable and stop keeping up on shit they probably won't have to do e.g. chairforce vs. marines. Absolutely no reason Finn wouldn't have been trained in melee combat techniques or that he couldn't have pursued it personally after having been assigned.
>>
>>63859133
Assuming that it's a mindwipe - i can dig it
But more likely its shitty writing
>>
Why could we still see anything after the sun was completely consumed?
>>
>>63857145
What would have made this scene forgivable and fit within the frantically morphing serious/funny tone the movie had:

Shouts "Traitor!" And begins blasting while walking towards him. Finn balls up and fortunately puts the saber in front of him, deflecting one or two shots. TR-8R gets close enough so he shoulders his weapon and whips out his beat stick.

Pissed me off that a loyal, trained soldier of a hardcore military group would simply THROW AWAY his weapon like some fucking piece of SHIT. Guy is a complete moron and deserved to die and I hope he stays dead.
>>
>>63859371
>implying he won't get his own spinoff cartoon series and trilogy of novels
>>
>>63859209
>>63859231
guys, the flashback showed her being dumped on tattu when she was like 4.

you telling me that luke trained her into fucking absurd lightsaber/blaster/force proficiency by the age of 4? and touching luke's lightsaber gave her her skill back? she was fucking 4 in the scene with her being left on jakku, maybe 5 at the absolute oldest

the "mind wipe" thing is stupid as fuck unless it happened when she was way older, like only a couple years younger than she was in the movie

and even then it's fucking dumb
>>
>>63857971
Or, you know, any of the real life reasons soldiers are trained in various melee techniques, most of which rely on you having standard issue gear e.g. a blaster rifle.
>>
Rey used the Dark Side and just overpowered Kylo. She even stabs like Sheev. She tapped her anger and hate, and she just has more raw power than him.
>>
>>63856599
shes a woman you dickbags, mocking her only shows how insecure you are about your tiny dicks.
>>
>>63859449
Then Hollywood needs a purge, of both Jews and shitty writers.
That entire ending fight was just underwhelming
>>
>>63858384
>trained under luke
>never made a lightsaber until his hunk of shit cross guard lightsaber
>implying he ever got taught saber combat with luke if he didn't even have his own fucking lightsaber to use
>>
>>63856678
yet he some how got ahead of them despite their headstart???
>>
>>63856599

Rey is Female Luke in look and plot actions but she's a worse character.

>Luke used to fly a T-16 so he's familiar with flying, even then he's not an ace pilot like Poe

Rey flies the Millennium Falcon with no training, with the flimsy 'the force' excuse, doing insane maneuvers to evade the ties.

>Luke only was able to tap into the Force in order to guide his shot into the death star exhaust in ANH

Rey learns Mind Trick without any knowledge of Jedi's being able to do so, Force Pull, and also possibly Battle Meditation with no training whatsoever by the end of the first movie.

>Luke trained for two movies to lightsaber fight and even then got his shit pushed in by Vader

Ignoring the fact that Kylo somehow forgot how to use force powers during the fight, and was also injured with a bowcaster shot, she was able to fight a mostly trained sith using only bowstaff fighting style with a fucking saber.

>Luke constantly let his emotions dictate his actions, which got him and his friends in trouble several times

Rey's only flaw is "I don't want to adventure." until it was literally forced upon her, then she's cool with it.

>Luke and Han grew to be friends over the course of the original trilogy

Rey is only friends with Finn cause his BBC lusts for her dusty pussy. Chewbacca likes her for no reason other than she's a woman.

Face it, she's a mary sue, get over it.
>>
>>63857424
She couldn't pull the lightsaber to herself on her own. If you pay attention Kylo is basically between her and the saber, so when he pulls it out she piggy-backs and shifts it's velocity when he didn't expect it.

Much the same way, in fact, she piggy-backs on his invasive mind technique. HHHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMM.
>>
>>63856915
lol, boy that's a lot of mental gymnastics to make up for shitty ham fisted writing.
>>
>>63859133
It's the Force, I ain't gotta explain shit.
>>
File: 1449808121433.jpg (33 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1449808121433.jpg
33 KB, 640x360
Just got back from seeing it.

I'm done.
>>
>>63856915
>>Kylo Ren was never as powerful as he seemed. He wasn't even a star pupil. He was an ordinary one selected by snoke for his vulnerability and insecurity.

Oh fuck off, he's literally the leader of the Knights of Ren, so unless the Knights of Ren are all drooling idiots it has to amount to something.
>>
while Rey's character seems ridiculous, lets remember that 5 year old, still shitting his pants Anakin destroys the main Trade Federation Command Frigate by accident in Episode I
>>
>>63858077
>Mental gymnastics

Entire post is simple,dude
>>
>>63859659
welcome to after disappointment party
>>
>>63859532
No such thing as practice lightsabers, or swords? Does every Jedi wait until they can construct their own lightsaber to practice it? Did every youngling that Yoda train construct their own lightsaber?
>>
>>63859682
and that the death star had a spot you could shoot it that destroys the entire thing....twice
>>
File: 149665_700062187801_6180887_n.jpg (19 KB, 140x261) Image search: [Google]
149665_700062187801_6180887_n.jpg
19 KB, 140x261
>>63856599

>muh prep time

literally batman tier
>>
>>63858152
It's because she's a Mary Sue.

They are trying to appeal to females, so they need to create a bullshit character that's bland looking that's capable of using a light saber and the force efficiently out of the blue because "anything men can do we can do better".

>>63858191
This is true, but at least with Katniss we knew she had a talent for archery and hunting.

Rey was just given talent out of bum fuck nowhere when it came to the force and the light saber.
Seriously the direction the new movies are going is to introduce a new lead female character that doesn't have to work for their skill and have the audience assume she's the greatest because "girl power".

Other bullshit theory is that she has amnesia and is a former student of Luke, but we won't find out till the next movie.
>>
>>63858152
We don't know her backstory yet, she could have recieved training

And even if she didn't, it took her three tries to get a Stormtrooper to listen to her. Three. Times.
When Ben was raping Rey's mind, it looked like she was looking for Jesu- I mean the force, so it helped her fight back against him. In the forest, it's already been established that the lightsaber likes Rey for some reason, so the force didn't let Kylo take it when Rey wanted it at the same time.

We could very well be looking at something like Jason Bourne here, where Rey just doesn't remember her training. I mean, it's implied she doesn't even remember her family, or who dropped her off on Jakku, it's plausible to think that she doesn't remember a whole lot more as well.
>>
File: FIn.jpg (2 MB, 2832x4256) Image search: [Google]
FIn.jpg
2 MB, 2832x4256
Just back from Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

11/10.

Seriously.

Just one little problem.

This guy was just a basic janitor and he is somehow able to injure the greatest force user of all time?

Is this a plothole or just lazy writing?
>>
The point is to show that these are really dark times where the force the Jedi the Sith, have basically all become myths. So no one is really that good with a lightsaber no one is really that good with the force. Hence the title the force awakening.
>>
>>63856915
This A thousand times this.
>>
>>63856678
It's also never implied that Ren is even supposed to be a good fighter, he can do some cool force shit obviously (like stop a laser beam in midair) but all he does with his saber prior to the Rey and Kylo fight is wail on shit when he gets mad excluding executing that old guy in the beginning but that's not exactly impressive
>>
>>63859840
That's not the point at all, kid.
>>
>>63859806
for free
>>
>>63859770
>And even if she didn't, it took her three tries to get a Stormtrooper to listen to her. Three. Times.
And? That doesn't explain how she comes up with the idea to try, or how she knows how to do it without training.

Even if she was trained by Luke she looked about 6 years old when she got dropped off on Jakku
>>
>>63859806
Janitor is only his non-combat role. He was still a Stormtrooper, and a good one at that.
>>
>>63859806
>greatest force user of all time
Nobody ever fucking said that Kylo was the greatest force user of all time.
>>
File: 5.jpg (20 KB, 311x353) Image search: [Google]
5.jpg
20 KB, 311x353
>>63859806
>11/10.

>Seriously.
>>
>>63859860
Except lightsaber use and Force ability are linked.

Watch the OT sometime.
>>
File: 1450235211996.jpg (13 KB, 400x298) Image search: [Google]
1450235211996.jpg
13 KB, 400x298
>>63859355
This guy right here
>>
>>63859921
It is shown in the film.

You'll realise that when you watch it.
>>
>>63859770
Same poster, we also have to remember that this movie was made to be a part of a trilogy unlike the OT. I know it sucks having to wait til 2017, but there's amazing thing called marketing and its obviously working considering everyone is talking about it, and will continue to talk about it until the next movie comes out.

>>63859877
> That doesn't explain how she comes up with the idea to try, or how she knows how to do it without training.
She heard stories about Luke and the Jedi, other posters seem to agree too that she could have gone "Lets try this and hope it works, I got no other way out of this mess anyway"

>Even if she was trained by Luke she looked about 6 years old when she got dropped off on Jakku
Which is, what, 2-3 years of training judging how old the younglings in RotS were?
>>
File: 1447721367970.jpg (62 KB, 355x400) Image search: [Google]
1447721367970.jpg
62 KB, 355x400
>>63859405
>>
>>63859957
>> That doesn't explain how she comes up with the idea to try, or how she knows how to do it without training.
>She heard stories about Luke and the Jedi, other posters seem to agree too that she could have gone "Lets try this and hope it works, I got no other way out of this mess anyway"

Otherwise known as terrible writing.
>>
>>63859877
>That doesn't explain how she comes up with the idea to try
Don't you think the "myths" about Jedi would include their abilities like mind tricks, moving objects with the force, etc?
>>
>>63859957
>she could have gone "Lets try this and hope it works, I got no other way out of this mess anyway"
Pretty tenuous and entirely speculative

>Which is, what, 2-3 years of training judging how old the younglings in RotS were?
Do you really think mind trick would be included in the first 2-3 years?
>>
>>63858062
>>63858084
Mark my words. Rey will fall to the dark side and be the most dangerous dark jedi ever. In the end Kylo will destroy her and sacrifice himself in the process, solidifying his desire to follow in Vaders footsteps.
>>
>>63859955
Were you taking a piss during the interrogation scene when Rey turned Kylo's parlor trick back on him?
>>
>>63859955
I have watched it. Wow, he stops a blaster bolt mid-air and then does all the same shit that Vader, Luke, and Kenobi have already done. That in no way implies he's "the best" force user.
>>
>>63859499

Spotted the fat angry feminist.
>>
>>63859553
I want a tsundere Chewie.
>>
>>63860004
Suspension of disbelief aka watch the other films when they come out if you REALLY need a meta explanation spelled out for you

Welcome to storytelling 101: how to get your readers to keep reading

>>63860016
>Pretty tenuous and entirely speculative
Like every other theory explaining this, until we have a real explanation its all we've got.

>Do you really think mind trick would be included in the first 2-3 years?
No, but assuming Luke was training his kids like how the kids in RotS, or even himself in ANH, they learn right from the get go to trust in the force. Seeing as how it only worked once, and that was after it failing a few times before, its not that big of a stretch. Especially considering that it was done on a Stormtrooper of all people. They're not exactly praised as the smartest people in the galaxy.
>>
>>63856599
>tfw Luke used force suppression on her to block out her memory until the time is right
>tfw upon touching her lightsaber, her powers began to return to her
>>
>>63860061
Yes. No-one else was able to stop blaster bolt mid-air so it is clear he is the best. Yet he still got chopped by a janitor.

It's like it was written by and for 5 year olds.
>>
>>63856678
Compare the way she fought to Finn's fight. He seemed way more skilled despite never having any training. Rey used it like a tool to block blows or cut down branches for distraction. There is no way she could have won if Kylo was at 100%, even not fully trained.
>>
>>63856599
Rey was formerly trained by Luke as a child, before having her memories whiped and shipped off to Jakku. Obviously Luke made that lightsaber the key to unlocking her memories, which would eventually send her to find him. It's pretty clear really[/SPOILER]

Now whether or not she is [SPOILER] Luke's daughter[/SPOILER] I don't know.
>>
>>63860142
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHH6YVHGh90
>>
>>63860183
But when? She was really young, like 6 or 7 or something, when getting dropped on Jakku. You're telling me she learned all that while in diapers?
>>
>>63860125
>its not that big of a stretch.
But still a stretch. All the explanation for Rey's bullshit seems to be based on 'she was lucky' and 'she just trusts in the force'

It's all too convenient.
>>
>>63860017
>the girl will become the bad guy and the daddy killer who murdered Han Solo will selflessly save the galaxy and become the true hero

AND JJ ABRAMS HAS AN UNCUT DICK
>>
>>63860183
Nowhere is it even implied that she was trained
>>
>>63860231
He deflects the beam. Doesn't leave it hanging in mid-air like Kylo.

NEXT!
>>
>>63860183
Maybe Rey is Luke and Leia's incest daughter. That COULD explain her stupid good force affinity.
>>
Considering this trilogy is basically a rewritten Thrawn Trilogy, it is highly likely luke was guiding her with the force
>>
>>63860125
>>63860183
Nice fanfiction, kids.

It's almost like any bad movie can be made decent once you add thousands of made up theories.
>>
File: 1416205136825.jpg (359 KB, 1236x1600) Image search: [Google]
1416205136825.jpg
359 KB, 1236x1600
>>63857771
I would say he is.
>>
>>63860244
Anikan was like 9 when he was thought to be "too old". Jedi mind tricks are like the most basic of techniques. Come on kid.

>>63860259
I mean she literally [SPOILER] has flashbacks the second she touches the lightsaber, and sees Luke, his location, and the force. Finn touched the same lightsaber and saw none of that[/SPOILER]
>>
>>63860231
Because he doesn't need to prevent it from hitting him. He literally tells the blasts fuck off. Vader would kick Ren's ass any day.
>>
>>63860310
Any movie ever can be made shitty if you refuse to use your head a little

Also
>ITS THE FIRST MOVIE IN A SERIES OF THREE
It'll be explained in full later, stop being autistic. Its like judging Lord of the Rings in each part, then complaining you havent gotten the rest.
>>
File: 1442213055115.jpg (17 KB, 348x342) Image search: [Google]
1442213055115.jpg
17 KB, 348x342
>random guy with a cattle prod beats the absolute niggetry out of Finn
>Ren the sith lord takes a hit from Finn
>>
>>63860336
>Jedi mind tricks are like the most basic of techniques
[citation needed]
>>
>>63860357
Each Lord Of the Rings film was great on it's own though, so not really.
>>
>>63860336
She's obviously force sensitive and I would bet she is Luke's daughter, but nothing is presented about her being trained.
>>
>>63857591
Together we can solve the puzzle of autism.
>>
>>63860364
Ren is hardly a sith lord. He's a tryhard wannabe. If you didn't get that from the film, I suggest you rewatch it.
>>
>>63860167
This.

People keep saying Rey had instant mastery of the lightsaber, but she was clearly worse with it than Finn. All she did was block hits and try to stab Kylo over and over before using Force hax.

I don't think she even landed a single hit in before that whereas Finn at least clipped him twice or something.
>>
>>63856599
I dont understand how you didn't catch that she is likes daughter.

the child crying don't go don't go only manifested when she touched the lightsaber.

meaning luke left her after ben killed all the jedi to go in to seclusion. Hence her seeing the ship take off and her crying when she touched it.

Ben represents the dark side of Anikin skywalker while Ren will represent the light side of his being. with luke as her father.
>>
File: enab.jpg (41 KB, 569x802) Image search: [Google]
enab.jpg
41 KB, 569x802
>the two leads, Rey and Finn, are both wearing a mask/helmet when we first see them
>both given dramatic reveal moments where they remove said mask/helmet

Literal pottery. Bravo JJ
>>
>>63860364
Ren is a padawan at best. I doubt he even has any actual dueling experience/training.
If Finn has the same training as TRAITOR dude, it makes sense why he got a hit in.
>>
>>63860364
>b-b-b-but he was upset that he killed his father

DOn't waste your time fem, these plebs have been utterly brainwashed.
>>
>>63860373
Why are spoilers fucked up now? Anyways, "The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded."
>>
>>63860405
He was still able to do impressive things with the force.
>>
so han said luke was training new jedi (multiple), and that one went bad (kylo). who were the rest?
>>
>>63856599
ray was trained by luke
kylo ren took the name after killing the other jedi trainees, luke dumped his daughter in the desert and mind wiped her

ray was using muscle memory from past training she had 'forgot'
ren was massively conflicted and also wounded
>>
>>63860405
I agree. Remember when Luke, a kid who had never left Tattooine ends up flying an xwing and blowing up the death star? This movie seems a lot more tame in terms of heroics.
>>
>>63860444
Spoilers don't work with caps, friend.
>>
>>63860448
Snokey the Bear maybe?
>>
>>63860448
Who knows, they're all dead (or maybe some of them are Knights of Ren)
>>
>>63860403
He's presented as mentally unstable, but all of his force powers were shot in a menacing way, his power is explicitly stated, and he defeated almost everyone he met. The movie was obviously presenting him as a dangerous and legitimate threat, the only reason people are claiming he is a loser is as a justification of losing to Rey.
>>
>>63856751

>also how did Leia know Han died? Is she force sensitive?

I hate you millennials.
>>
>>63860459
Fuck, this guy fucking gets it. I said this almost word for word a few posts up.
>>
>>63860445
meant for>>63860403
>>
>>63860444
u r a retard
>>
>>63859682

But everyone shits on that too, no one liked that.
>>
>>63860459
Why would you wipe her mind and throw her into the desert?
>>
>>63860459
Very convenient, now that you've added your fanfiction.
>>
>>63860509
fuck you, I'm retarded
>>
>>63860459
Nothing shows she was trained by Luke, and even if she was, some training when she was 5 years old can't be compared to years of training. Ren was emotionally compromised but so was Rey.
>>
>>63860405
Rey was toying with Finn. He was doing silly spins and such, clearly not fighting properly. It's a very common trope in duels, and a sign of someone toying with their opponent. He did the same as Vader did with Luke. Vader was toying with Luke, but Luke managed to get one lucky hit in because of it. He wasn't fighting properly until later.
>>
Poe becomes a jedi next movie calling it now
>>
>>63860405
Don't forget that Kylo was fighting Finn with the intention to kill him most likely. On the other hand, he clearly wasn;t intending to kill Rey.
>>
>>63860524
So that she wouldn't be killed by Kylo Ren, you know, the guy who killed all the other Jedi Luke was training
>>
File: 1411472077763.jpg (32 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1411472077763.jpg
32 KB, 300x300
>>63856915

Lol, so this is the new Star Cuck fanboy excuse for Mary Sue. Strong womyn who need no man and learned advanced fighting skills defending herself from evil white rapists. Do you have any idea how ridiculous that sounds?
>>
>>63860524
to keep her safe i guess
wouldn't be a very interesting story is luke just took her with him

>>63860494
when they showed the shot of ray's dad leaving her but cut him from the frame i was pretty certain is was luke
>>
>>63860524
Hide her and prevent her from using the force and thus attracting attention. Luke hiself was stashed on Tatooine.
>>
File: 1216271497833 (2).jpg (92 KB, 500x682) Image search: [Google]
1216271497833 (2).jpg
92 KB, 500x682
>>63860461

that was no big he used to bullseye wamp rats with his t-16 back home!
>>
>>63860479
Ren idolizes Vader and attempts to emulate him...but he's not nearly as powerful. Maybe after his training is complete with Snookie...but for now he's still an overly confident wannabe.
>>
>>63860461
He practiced with the T-16.
>>
>>63856599
I dont understand how you didn't catch that she is likes daughter.

the child crying don't go don't go only manifested when she touched the lightsaber.

meaning luke left her after ben killed all the jedi to go in to seclusion. Hence her seeing the ship take off and her crying when she touched it.

Ben represents the dark side of Anikin skywalker while Ren will represent the light side of his being. with luke as her father meaning he trained her when she was a"youngling" lol
>>
>>63860364
Kylo is clearly a Jedi Consular, not a Jedi Guardian.
>>
>>63860561
On the one hand it would be good to have someone with a proper training arc rather than Rey already being gifted.

On the other I like the idea of Poe being just fucking skilled rather than it being the force
>>
Dont you get it?

The Force AWAKENS

Rey discovers her powers
>>
>>63860595
He isn't as strong as Vader, he may not even be objectively very strong, but the movie was clearly presenting him in am threatening way, not as some loser.
>>
Fags are obsessed with Ren because hes an angsty edgelord.
>>
>>63860561

He should, he's like the only good new Rebel character in the movie.
>>
>>63860610
You'd think something as simple as this would be more widely accepted. I guess people thought those flashbacks just randomly happens coincidentally right as she touched the lightsaber. My god.
>>
>>63860635
Snoke says there has been awakening BEFORE Rey touches the lighstaber
>>
>>63856599
One of Luke's force powers was "learns quick", and Rey got this from him. When Ren is using his mind powers on her to get information, she gains understanding on how to do it back to him, then she does it to the stormtrooper. Why is it so hard to understand?
>>
>>63860636
Yeah, he is a threat. His undoing at the end was his overconfidence. He's also shown as still acting immature and childish...throwing temper tantrums with his lightsaber and destroying shit.
>>
>>63860570
>>63860583
>>63860589

SO he should have easily wiped the floor with both Finn and Rey, thanks for clearing that up.
>>
>>63860661
I always thought they were just visions that she saw and the only flashback was her being abandoned on Jakku.
>>
>>63856751
I'm assuming even without leia being force sensitive, rey or chewie would have probably called in that Han ate shit on the car ride home?
>>
>>63860364
>yfw riot cop trooper is the chosen one
>>
>>63860688
There's a difference between learning quick and learning instantly with no effort and guidance.

Also Luke trained for 4 years before taking on Vader, and still very barely won and got fucked by Palpatine.
>>
>>63860459

So at 6-8 years old she was talented at lightsaber fighting and trained with the use of the force? Yeah, bullshit? Those fucking drooling kids at the jedi academy could barely hold their lightsabers properly in AotC, and they trained with fucking Yoda.
>>
File: It's like Poetry.png (2 MB, 1918x1063) Image search: [Google]
It's like Poetry.png
2 MB, 1918x1063
>>63856912
>>63857591
>>63858628
>>63859477
>>63860524
>Memory wiped
>Can understand every language with ease and general stu character
>Will probably turn to the dark side next episode while Ren goes light
>She puts on his mask
>"Rey... van?!"
>>
>>63860688
Because we've never seen the force work like that before. It's too convenient. And Ren is using his power to tear information from peoples minds, not get them to do something for him.
>>
Correct me if I'm wrong, but when Ren was mindfucking Rey with the force, didn't he say something along the lines of "...in your dreams...the ocean...an island...". That's exactly where Luke was at the end, and she was having DREAMS about it? Meaning she saw Luke's location in her dreams before she ever touched the lightsaber???
>>
>>63860633
I think that his flying skill is force based, but maybe thats just because every amazing pilot in the Star Wars universe has turned out to be a jedi.
>>
>>63860336
Anakin was too old to begin training at 9, yes. But it's not like the academy starts teaching jedi mind tricks day 1. Did you see the ''younglings'' in the prequels? They couldn't do anything. First they're taught the philosophy and basics and made to believe the Jedi doctrine blindly. Then the actual training with the force and dueling begins.
>>
>>63860730
There's a clip from RotS with a 13 ish year old jedi flipping around and blocking bolts and doing some crazy shit.
>>
>>63860730
yoda sent anakin to spy on sheev
he's obviously pretty retarded
>>
I actually really liked the fight scene at the end until the final few seconds where Rey tapped into the force. They way Kylo is this unrefined and only half trained brat who swings his saber with anger and overpowering everyone is a neat thing to see. I also liked how he kept punching his wound to either keep himself pumped up and the adrenaline going, or to stop his body from going numb like some other people suggested.
>>
>>63860730
>So at 6-8 years old she was

>talented at lightsaber fighting
Probably not

>and trained with the use of the force?
Yes. Did you watch the prequels?
>>
>>63860414
>>63856599
I'm seeing a lot of false assumptions going on.

>Ray couldn't access the force before touching Luke's lightsaber.
If you were watching carefully, you'll see Ray had been using the force all-throughout the movie: Dismembering the tentacle monster, Moving the heavy grating in the Falcon, flying through the star destroyer wreckage. People keep calling Ray untrained, but that's not exactly true: Relying on the force her entire life is what kept her alive on Jakku.

>Luke left Ray on Jakku to protect her.
Not the more likely explanation that Ray's mother was raising her and something happened to her. Assuming Ray even is related to Luke. I still don't believe Luke would abandon his child for decades just to be alone & jerk off into the ocean.
>>
>>63860772
Was it too convenient when Luke learned to block the blaster bolt in one try?
>>
>>63860779
Yeah, I thought the same. He is far and away the best pilot in any of the films, he tears up around 9 TIE fighters in under a minute above Maz's Castle
>>
Everytime Ren threw a autistic bitch fit I couldnt help but chuckle
>>
>>63860776
Wow, it's almost as if she's Luke's daughter or something. Who would have guessed?
>>
>>63860776
Luke probably took her there before he whiped her memory.
>>
>>63857971
>because it would go only to specialized soldiers since its only purpose is to exist as a counter to Lightsaber/Force wielders
You made that up, it's just riot gear.

>Stormtrooper units assigned to keep order on worlds within First Order territory are trained in riot-control tactics and given non-lethal equipment – though all carry standard weapons in case situations spiral out of control. Riot control stormtroopers use betaplast shields and Z6 batons to keep crowds at bay or to shock or pummel an opponent.
from starwars.com
>>
>>63860829
>Dismembering the tentacle monster
the way she dodges those tentacles was jedi like, Finn is instantly caught but it cant get her.
>>
>>63860829
>Relying on the force her entire life is what kept her alive on Jakku.
Thats not how force users are trained senpai
>>
File: 1274916130719.gif (31 KB, 350x334) Image search: [Google]
1274916130719.gif
31 KB, 350x334
>not expecting a Rey..I am your Father scene, with Luke
>>
>>63860835
he really is just a jumped up sperg that hasn't had a proper parental figure
>>
>>63857438
Did you miss the part in which they said they trained him since he was a child to be a storm trooper?

Jesus christ.
>>
>>63860830
That's a far more basic skill. If Rey's big discovery was deflecting a blaster bolt I wouldn't have minded. Didn't Finn even luck into doing that before he fought the Tonfa Trooper?
>>
>>63859474
That tonfa that can stand up to lightsabers is clearly not standard issue gear.

>>63860860
>it's just riot gear
Well shit, that's just dumb then. Thanks JJ.
>>
>>63860730
You nerds are unbeliveable. Only someone who's only experience with fighting comes from World of Warcraft would say shit like "Oh this person who's already experienced at fighting with a fucking vibrostaff? Couldn't do shit with a sword: Obviously." Ray knew how to fight. And likely, purely just from trying to survive on Jakku.

Not to mention that old addage that the biggest threat to a Samurai is an untrained person: They're the most unpredictable fighters.
>>
File: TRAITOR.jpg (363 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
TRAITOR.jpg
363 KB, 1920x1080
>>63857045
>>
The biggest issue I had with this movie was the map to Luke. Why? If you wanted to not be found, why the fuck would you make a map to your location? And why have most of it in R2 and a tiny ass piece in a chip?
>>
>>63860856
>>63860859
Guys, you're not thinking like feminists. Rey is clearly a a clone created by splicing X chromosomes from Palpatine and Vader in an attempt to make the most perfect and powerful force user ever. The involvement of penises would taint the Mary Sue.
>>
>>63860965
Why didnt they check R2D2 for the map?
>>
>>63860928
I never got the impression the Jedi mind trick was hard at all. It frankly seems easier than blocking bolts. You probably just put a little Force into your words and it does the rest.
>>
>>63860965
>Give R2 map to target location so he can hide
>Tell R2 to shut off until the time is right
>Give him map to location, with the other portion to a good friend for safe keeping
>>
This is probably my biggest issue with the film. Rey is too adept at using the force and in lightsaber combat way too fucking quick. Luke didn't even try to fight with a lightsaber in ANH.

Rey has to have the potential to be the greatest jedi of all fucking time for this to be passable.
>>
>>63860965
Who the fuck was the old guy in the beginning too?
>>
>>63860776
Two thoughts.

1.) How fucking psychotic would Luke have to be to wipe a toddler's mind and dump her in the desert?

2.) Why don't you go to the more obvious explanation that someone who lives in a desert would dream of the ocean? Because it's a fucking ocean. And they live in a desert?
>>
>>63860928
>Blocking blaster shots is a basic skill
No it isn't, it's something only force sensitives can do since it relies on 'predicting' your opponent's intents.

It's why Grievous got destroyed by a simple blaster.
>>
>>63860978

R2's map is just a map of the galaxy with a big gap in it.

How the fuck could they not match BB-8's map piece to a perfectly ordinary galaxy map like that?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.