[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Movie of the year.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 11
File: the_revenant_.png (851 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
the_revenant_.png
851 KB, 1200x675
Just finished watching this and i can definitely say it's best movie this year. I'm almost certain Leo will get the oscar for this, brilliant acting from all the cast but Dicaprio was amazing.
I will definitely be watching this in theaters, it was fucking great, especially the cinematography
>>
>>63851723

wow, those are some really interesting thoughts on the movie

"brilliant...amazing...fucking great"

thanks for all of these words that you qualified with nothing
>>
>>63851757
and your post sure does 'qualified with nothing'
back to reddit and stay in your star wars threads
>>
>>63851838

>and your post sure does 'qualified with nothing'

excuse me?

also, if you think Inarritu's horseshit is on a different plane than the trash heap that includes stuff like Star Wars and Jurassic World then you have absolute shit taste and probably little knowledge about film. enjoy your empty, soulless Oscar bait ya pleb
>>
File: 1385677944857.gif (698 KB, 360x149) Image search: [Google]
1385677944857.gif
698 KB, 360x149
>Leo
>Oscar
>>
Yeah, Innaritu figured it out

It's the first time you're not watching leonardo dicaprio play a part with his whiny idiotic voice

Innaritu just gave him a native american language to speak most of the time, and it worked wonders

And apparently throwing Leo into freezing temperature makes him not be able to be himself which is great, because that's exactly what he needed to lose

Innaritu takes care of the rest, the cuts and the cinematography is GOD TIER

Brilliant film
>>
File: 1448319643853.jpg (76 KB, 360x240) Image search: [Google]
1448319643853.jpg
76 KB, 360x240
>>63851887
>Oscar bait ya pleb
you clearly haven't watched it yet and are already calling it 'oscar bait' pleb.
I haven't watched jurassic park or star wars so i wouldnt know. Maybe if you stopped spending all your time in star wars threads and watched some real 'films' you wouldn't call inarritu 'horseshit'. Enjoy watching films made in 1960 and calling people 'pleb' redditor.
>>
pretty nice landscapes you got there Americlaps, I'm jelly

best part of the movie by far
>>
File: donald duck.png (466 KB, 4000x4012) Image search: [Google]
donald duck.png
466 KB, 4000x4012
any torrents out yet wanna see it but ain't out till January in the UK
>>
File: extra-credits.jpg (34 KB, 485x423) Image search: [Google]
extra-credits.jpg
34 KB, 485x423
>>63852102
>star wars
>not a "real" film
I agree, come over and we can discuss how we have better taste than everyone. I have a fedora stand for our hats
>>
>>63852102

>Enjoy watching films made in 1960

what the fuck is going on? what does that even mean?

and um no, Inarritu is derided by anyone that is actually into movies. Did you love Birdman too? And yes, The Revenant is a perfect example of Oscar bait. it's Inarritu wanking himself off for 2.5 hours that are meant to demonstrate what a hard movie it was to film. "such a tough set and a tough shoot and no light and raw and physical and whoa we really went all out for this wow so hard"

face your plebdom, it will be okay
>>
>>63852102
>awkward mention of 1960s film

yes you're totally not the pleb redditor
>>
>>63851887
I thought this was going to be Oscar bait, but it really isn't. Dicaprio barely has 20 lines in English, and the film has many quiet Malick shots of nature cut between the narrative scenes as well as surreal (again very Malick) dream moments.
But seriously, stop doing this shit in every movie, Lubezki.
>>
>>63852161
The landscape shots from True Grit (remake) were some of the best parts of the movie as well.
>>
>>63851723
DUDE CRAWL AROUND AND GRUNT LMAO

Gib Oscar pls
>>
>>63852161
It was filmed primarily in Alberta and in some parts of BC if I recall. The last scene was shot in Argentina.
>>
>>63852200

Nice double dubs, but are you serious? Just go in Kickass.com and search for "The Revenant 2015" it's gonna be right there
>>
>>63852277

the Oscar bait is found in the physical nature of the film as I explained above. every single interview the cast gives is just Inarritu talking about how tough the shoot was and what a grueling experience it was. Also it goes out of its way to be as aesthetically/stylistically in your face as possible with endless tracking shots that are used for no purpose other than being impressive from a technical standpoint (much like that 5 minute gratuitous tracking shot in Atonement that serves the same purpose). all of it just calls attention to itself and the director. it's Oscar bait all over mate, not bait like The Artist and King's Speech, but still bait nonetheless
>>
>>63852200
It ain't out anywhere except on the Internet, m8
>>
>>63851723
leo will never
ever
get an oscar
>>
>>63852161
It was filmed in Canada and Argentina though.

and yeah, it was pretty damn good and beautiful. I enjoyed it a bunch but the low-quality DVDscreener doesn't do it justice. Might have to catch it in theaters in a few months.
>>
>>63851838
>make a banal post
>anon calls you out for making a banal post and for not having anything interesting to say
>get angry and defensive

wow so le patrician
>>
Leo D Cap back in the ice, Titanic 2: the freezing forest. That fourth wall breaking should get him an Oscar for sure this time, after what you see him get through in the movie its not just the character you feel for, mostly the actor. Leo is looking you into the eyes, and hes saying to you "I DID ALL THIS FOR YOU! ARE YOU AT LEAST ENTERTAINED? I probably still dont get an oscar, damn it". Poor Leo.

The Revenant brings back memories of Apocalypto, The Blair Witch Project and winter days when your heater didnt work.
Im not sure if Mister Inarritu is a Genius of Film-making or just plain insane, most of the people who worked on this probably arent sure either. I mean come on, you pick a historic (?) story in a bleak environment where everyone was just miserable and wanted to die and recreate it on film in a way that makes everyone (at least everyone who was forced to be on set a lot) miserable and cold.
Anyway its an amazing film in every aspect, only two things that bothered me a bit: the first thing is the bear scene, which was kind of unrealistic/silly looking and went on for too long. The other thing is how much leo gets abused. Scene after scene of him gasping and being close to death, over and over again he gets into situations that nearly kill him. You just want to see him heal up and plan his revenge but nope, all the odds are against him and thats fine but after an hour it gets a bit annoying.

I give it 4.5/5 french girl points.
>>
>>63852387

he will this year

the race is completely empty, he's the only actual contender

and I know people always say he'll win but this is the weakest competition he's ever had to face
>>
>>63851723
nice reddit review.

Hope you're enjoying your first 6 months of "being into movies."
>>
>>63852367
>the Oscar bait is found in the physical nature of the film as I explained above. every single interview the cast gives is just Inarritu talking about how tough the shoot was and what a grueling experience it was.
Well it's a good thing they didn't put those interviews in the film itself.

>Also it goes out of its way to be as aesthetically/stylistically in your face as possible with endless tracking shots that are used for no purpose other than being impressive from a technical standpoint
Most of the film consists of standard shots. The only obvious single take tracking shot was the opening battle with the Indians. Even the bear attack while being a single take didn't feel like one because it was punctuated by lots of quiet moments (nigga should have just played dead after the first rape).

>all of it just calls attention to itself and the director.
How do shots call attention to the director specifically? Are you a child that you constantly think about things like immersion while watching a movie? Do you have the same problem with other filmmakers who make use of flashy camerawork, or are you just fishing for replies? Good job on that.
>>
>>63852448
You're clueless. Cranston, Redmayne and even Will Smith has a better shot than Leo.
>>
File: 1449667341715.jpg (40 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
1449667341715.jpg
40 KB, 320x320
>>63852436
>>63852264
>>63852228
>DUDE WATCHING MOVIES AFTER 1960 LMAO YOU PLEB
>>
>>63852441
>That fourth wall breaking should get him an Oscar for sure this time
Yeah, what the hell was that? I was half-expecting him to say ZOOM BACK CAMERA
>>
>>63851723

it is a pretensions piece of shit.

It tries to be artistic. It reminded me of Tree of life with brad pitt, it is the exact same type of movie.

>amazing cinematography
>boring
>no character development
>no suspense

that type of movie you wish it finishes quickly so you can forget it forever.
>>
File: tv anon.png (637 KB, 800x816) Image search: [Google]
tv anon.png
637 KB, 800x816
>>63852611
>he didn't get The Tree of Life
>>
>>63852639

i got it.

it was a pretentious piece of shit, for kids that think they are edgy and different and intellectual
>>
>>63851723
Just because it's very violent, gory and extreme. This generation's taste. You kids suck big.
>>
>>63852484
>DUDE SUPER SECRET CLUB
4chan has been mainstream for many years newfriend
>>
10/10 bear rape
>>
>>63852675
It's alright that you didn't get it, anon. After all, the film requires a deep understanding of Christian existentialism enhanced by a Heideggerian reading of Being in order for one to fully appreciate its philosophical themes.
>>
File: 1447329281024.jpg (31 KB, 573x609) Image search: [Google]
1447329281024.jpg
31 KB, 573x609
>>63852771

you're really believe that, don't you.
>>
>>63852802
https://archive.4plebs.org/_/search/filename/1447329281024.jpg/
I thought /pol/ was Christian.
>>
>>63852712
I was gonna say somehing, then I thought about it and it was pretty violent and XTREME. 2.5 hour struggle for survival in shitty weather. I loved it.
>>
>>63852826
it is, so am I, so trust me.

Tree of life is a pretensions piece of shit that I would never, ever remember again if I hadn't seen leo crawling, grunting, eating dirt and cut carcasses for 2 and half hours, to see if he finally has his oscar.
>>
File: 1441154614691.jpg (52 KB, 499x700) Image search: [Google]
1441154614691.jpg
52 KB, 499x700
>>63852932
>>>/pol/
>>
>>63851723
can we get more details on the cinematography, lighting, pacing ,acting, ect?

i honestly believe you OP, considering the cast, crew, source material and its a mountain man movie, but still.

i dont want to be dissapointed like Star wars.
>>
>>63851723
What did the ending mean? Does he die of his wounds? Does it just dawn on him what he did? Or is it kind of a "where do I go from here" thing?
>>
>>63853216
See >>63852441
>>
>>63851723
>Leo will get the oscar for this
Never
Gonna
Happen
>>
>>63853250

Hes a rape victim now
Its literally impossible for him to not get it
>>
>>63853142
cinematography and lighting is pretty much what you see in the trailer, its great tho, pacing is weird, theres a big opening scene with lots of fighting and then it gets kinda slow and towards the ending it picks up a bit again. the acting is really solid, leo is going all out but like people mentioned its mostly him grunting in pain or crawling around. you will be disappointed if youre looking for an elaborate story, its more of an experience, but there are lots of feels certainly and a really strong atmosphere.
>>
>>63853216
it means nothing, he has come all the way and got what he wanted, still he doesnt feel any better, hes just cold now.
>>
This film is truly a masterpiece. It will be the best cinematic release in a decade. It's as if you're right there smelling Leo's musk.
>>
>>63851723
>Star Wars not getting movie of the year.

GTFO
>>
>>63852228
youre trying way too hard my friend
>>
>>63853376
im ok with a slow middle, slow burn pacing is an art movies need to have again.

also i know its about pioneer hugh Glass, so im expecting jeremiah johnson crossed with Man in the Wild.
>>
>>63853451
st wars was a piece of shit designed to sell toys
>>
>>63853469

>slow burn pacing is an art movies need to have again.

I actually just feel embarrassment looking at the things you guys are writing. how can you be so clueless? why are you discussing movies in a way that suggests you have a lot of knowledge about them when it's quite clear that you're extremely uninformed

I mean seriously what the fuck is this

>slow burn pacing is an art movies need to have again.
>>
>>63853510

Revenant is a piece of shit designed to win Oscars

what's the difference? they're both shit
>>
>>63853527
you managed to say absolutely nothing with so many words
astounding
>>
>>63853527
Probably because pacing is something completely lost in modern movies and its kills tension.

Star Wars 7 for example has ass for pacing, and it removed tension or eny shock to anything, it also really fucked over characterization to where everyone was a one note cut out and everything that happened felt contrived.

take some time out to remove unneeded scenes and add in a moment to have the audience appreciate the atmosphere.
We didnt get that in 7 and there wasnt even a good sense of location or scale, it felt like all the action happened in the same few square miles.

Just because you want action 100% of the time doesnt mean you have good taste.

Even the insanity of the Crank movies felt a need to shut up for five seconds, like that old man in the hospital scene.

There is an art to silence and knowing when to be calm.
>>
>>63853563
The difference is we can have entire threads and essays on why the Force Awakens is a piece of shit.
But everyone who shits on Revenant says its just oscar bait without actually trying to explain what oscar bait is or how its oscar bait.

that tells me 1 or 2 things.

1. you're not articulate enough to praise or criticize a film with detail.
or
2. you're full of shit.
>>
File: bushwacked.jpg (36 KB, 300x443) Image search: [Google]
bushwacked.jpg
36 KB, 300x443
>>63852557
>anons years of experience dealing with bears attacks
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.