[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did you like him? I thought he needed more character development
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
File: file.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
file.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
Did you like him? I thought he needed more character development for Han's death to actually mean something. We are just told that he's Han's and Leia's son but I feel like there should have been a flashback to show the audience how hard it was for Han and Leia to lose Ben to the darkside.
>>
>>63848583
He was the soul of the movie, literally only character who had something for the audience to take home with. without him it would be prequel tier

I think everyone wanted more details about his family life, they could have done that without intruding on the Luke stuff they want for the next episode.
>>
I didn't like him. He just seems like a angsty teenager who has temper tantrums.
>>
There are already threads about this movie OP. You don't need to start a new discussion, just post your comments/questions in an existing thread. It's bad form to make a new thread on a topic that already has an active thread.
>>
>>63849313
>It's bad form to make a new thread on a topic that already has an active thread.
BANE?
>>
>>63848643

literally this, he and his arc is going to carry the entire trilogy and i'm surprised more people aren't talking about him
>>
File: 2.png (136 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
2.png
136 KB, 300x300
i honestly had a hard not time not laughing in the theater every time the mask voice played. it sounded absurd. not up to par with based james earl jones
>>
>>63848651
That is what he is meant to be. He is a whiny, entitled, Edgelord bitch who went on a school shooting.
>>
I thought he was great, pretty much doing what they were trying to do with Anakin's character in the prequels, but the actor sells being engulfed by rage so much better, so he comes across as fucking scary and even a bit sympathetic that he's so messed up rather than just cringy like Hyaden.

The lack of development for him and Rey I'm sure is down to that they're going to reveal more about the character's and their connection to the mythology in the later movies and don't want to give away any ebin twists yet.
>>
the cringiest thing around his character was how Leia and Han have TWO exposition-heavy dialogues where they literally narrate every detail that bridges the OT to this film as far as their stories go. that scene completely ruined the movie for me, and then the fact that I'm supposed to have had an emotional reaction to Han's death because of muh nostalgia to make up for the lack of actual character building for him or Ren added insult to injury.
>>
>>63848651

That seems the popular go-to opinion for contrarians and people who haven't seen the movie.

His depiction made sense. He was all over the place emotionally because he was trying to live up to an unrealistic ideal of the Sith (i.e. emotions = strength when it isn't quite as easy as all that).

I thought he was interesting. We've had characters that want to be Light Side but have been seduced by the Dark; to see the inverse is refreshing.
>>
File: 1401046822346.jpg (184 KB, 500x370) Image search: [Google]
1401046822346.jpg
184 KB, 500x370
> Kylo Ren was a better version of Anakin from the prequels
Yes
>his character is good
No, you fucking retard.

Anakin being a whiny bitch was a terrible, TERRIBLE decision. It was arguably the primary reason why the prequels were shit. Kylo Ren is a slightly better attempt at a whiny bitch character, yes; but the one movie of him was just as bad as watching three.
The Anakin we should have had was the noble knight Obi-Wan mentioned in the originals. A close friend who was seduced by the dark side. Not a fucking manchild who leapt towards the dark side because he had the emotional and mental fortitude of fucking banana bread pudding.

>>63849950
If he was supposed to be "faltering to the light-side movie does not commit to this. It still treats him like a fully-fledged Darth Vader even when he is written to be a Darth Vader wannabe who can never live up to that role.
>>
File: 1449734932550.jpg (156 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1449734932550.jpg
156 KB, 600x600
>>63849563
>comparing star wars threadshitting to baneposting
>>
>>63848583
I like the idea of making your movie's Darth Vader an angst ridden dopey looking teen, i just wish they gave him an explicit reason for hating his parents besides their marriage apparently not working out. And i guess another reason as to why Luke didn't step in as the awesome hippy uncle that smokes weed with you and helps you learn telekinesis. Or why that wasn't good enough when he tried.

I just can't see any kid raised, at least part, by Luke fucking Skywalker being anything but a hero. They should have shown what made Ben reach out to a dead relative as an idol.
>>
>>63850817
He doesn't hate his parents? When did it ever say that? Also they broke up after he turned to the dark side. He was training to be a Jedi with Luke then was seduced by the dark side by Snoke. It's his love for his parents that make him so conflicted and feeling the light side of the force pulling at him. Think you need to watch the film again mate, and pay attention this time.
>>
>>63850817

he literally does not hate his parents, snoke is afraid that interacting with his father will make him stray back to the light, he himself prays to darth vader's helmet that he will not lose focus, and he tells han that he is in a lot of pain because he wants to have his father in his life but it interferes with his goals. how fucking autistic are people
>>
>>63848583
Scary. Intimidating. Fucking dangerous.

Haters are all /pol/ retlated
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.