[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we all agree that the prequels had heart, while the force
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5
File: jarjar4.jpg (165 KB, 1252x1252) Image search: [Google]
jarjar4.jpg
165 KB, 1252x1252
Can we all agree that the prequels had heart, while the force awakens does not?
>>
>had heart

top lel senpai, the prequels had no direction
>>
>>63848488
No.
>>
>>63848488
If the prequels had heart, it was covered up with all the unnecessary CG.
>>
>>63848488

No.
>>
Can we all agree this thread didn't need to be made?
>>
>>63848488

Force Awakens had more heart than all three of the prequels combined. Face the fact that a Disney rehash of A New Hope is better than Lucas' pathetic "vision" and "originality" of the prequels.
>>
>>63848488
>heart
Are you 10 years old?
>>
nope
>>
File: great-reveal.jpg (10 KB, 194x259) Image search: [Google]
great-reveal.jpg
10 KB, 194x259
>>63848488
Yes
>>
File: 1450571855890.jpg (108 KB, 500x462) Image search: [Google]
1450571855890.jpg
108 KB, 500x462
>>63848488
1/4 portion.
>>
>>63848488

what heart was in the prequels? that some suits went down a checklist and thought "what do women like? romance? ok, cringy forced romance scenes take up half the movies... what do kids like? a funny alien that talks about poop constantly? ok, we'll come up with some weird racist caricature character, he'll be the key to all this"

meanwhile TFA has cool characters you are sad when they fail and happy when they succeed and you never want them to just get the fuck off the screen already like JarJar or Padme
>>
>>63848488
Can we all agree that OP is a faggot?
>>
Say what you will about the prequels, but they felt 10x more "Star Wars" than Episode 7 did. I don't even know how to describe it better.
>>
>>63850257
This is the generation we live in.
>>
The prequels didn't have heart, but they at least had something, and they were memorable in their badness. Episode VII was lifeless and empty in almost every way and was mostly forgettable
>>
>>63849981
for this post, I'll give you 1/2 portion
>>
>>63850359
is this the latest shitposting meme?
>>
Prequels didn't really have heart. They were rushed and poorly made by a creator who thought he was more talented than he was. In the end, the Episodes 1-3 just look lazy, and look even worse when you actually watch what was going on behind the scenes.

Episode 7 is well made and by professionals, but it's clearly just for money. JJ Abrams is talented, but he doesn't really have a passion for Star Wars. He might be a fan, but he's really just there to make a cool looking movie that will make billions of dollars. The movie really doesn't introduce anything new or exciting, it's really just a bunch of action scenes mixed with occasional comedy and a ton of fan service.
>>
>>63848488

"Had heart"
.>that's how you talk about an retard girl, son.
>>
One thing I give the prequels credit for doing better, even better than the original trilogy, is world building. We get a sense of a much waster universe filled with all these aliens, creatures, droids, ships, concepts and planets that were proven to be gold in the Clone Wars and other prequel related media.
It's just too bad that Lucas didn't do better with all of it himself, literally everything related to his movies is superior to them.
>>
>>63848488
...Did you see that?
>>
>>63850846
If Lucas had a competent director, invested more money in practical effects, and had more people and time to work on the script, the prequels would be great.

The problem isn't necessarily the story, it's that the directing is bland as fuck, the dialogue is complete horse shit, and the details of the plot get confused and contradict each other. Lucas really need to relinquish some control over the prequels, but he wanted to be in charge of everything.
>>
>>63850294
Episode 7 was basically a goddamn remake, at least the prequels tried to be original.
>>
>>63851001
>invested more money in practical effects
not so well meme'd
>>
>>63851055
this forever
>>
File: pimp my ride.jpg (28 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
pimp my ride.jpg
28 KB, 640x640
>>63851055
So episode VII is apparently a direct remake of a new hope

...but somehow also doesn't feel like star wars

can you shitposters make up your fucking mind?
>>
>>63851166
Because it has the plot, but none of the subtext.
>>
>>63851055
It's not really a remake. It shares a lot of similar plot points to the original movie, but there's still a lot of differences.

I think the real issue is it's too safe. It's too safe, predictable and boring. Most people are going to watch this movie and enjoy it. It's not going to be boring because scenes move so quickly you don't have a chance to think about what you're watching. Constant action all tied loosely together by a very simple and safe story.

Box office gold. I enjoyed the movie, but I feel dirty about enjoying because I know it's just a money grab.
>>
>>63851245
and i'm sure you'll be able to explain what you're talking about rather than vague bullshit like it doesn't have the "subtext"
>>
>>63848488
Agreed.
>>
>>63851284
Using Joseph Campell's idea's and the Hero's Journey as a basis for the story.
>>
>>63851001
I know. He needed a co writer and an editor to workshop those scripts beyond what were essentially first drafts. But when he approached Kasdan to do so, he told him that Star Wars was "his baby" and that Lucas should "take care of it himself". Perhaps the worst advice given in the history of cinema, because Lucas shortly after dropped his idea to hire a co-director for the whole "acting stuff" as well. And his insecurity and acquired laziness trough living the good life for too long shines trough as soon as the Phantom Menace.

Keeping Rick McCallum on as a producer was another mistake. The yes man that oversaw the Special Editions of the originals clearly had no backbone or vision for what they were doing, and encouraged Lucas in switching to digital in 200andfucking2 where the technology was below the quality you can now buy for next to nothing at your local Walmart.

And the over reliance on Green Screen and Lucas's overenthusiasm for set piece spectacle over subtlety and good old fashioned storytelling ensured that they look and felt flat and boring. That awful factory sequence in Attack of the Clones should be used as a lesson for directors and CGI crews on how going to far ruins any sense of tension or suspension of disbelief necessary in order for the audience to engage with what's happening on the screen.

That said, Lucas almost got it right with Episode III. It's just that things should have been like it from the very start, going so far that any good will was lost during that screening, and I remember me and at least half of the theater watching it at the time doing so ironically, laughing and cringing at it rather than enjoying it despite it not being half as bad as the first two.

Clone Wars was surprisingly enjoyable though for the most part. If only the prequels were as good as it was during its best moments...
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.