[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DIVERSITY MAKES MOVIES GOOD
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 18
http://www.polygon.com/2015/12/16/10236158/force-awakens-diversity

>For the first time in Star Wars history, a franchise will be built around the adventures of the sort of people that Hollywood routinely overlooks: women and people of color. Yes, Oscar Isaac is a Guatemalan-American actor of Cuban, Guatemalan and French descent. He's not a white dude. In fact, all of the white dudes in the film appear to be acting the roles of mentor characters or villains, overfamiliar and historical standby roles for actors of color.

>AND YOU KNOW WHAT? IT'S ABOUT TIME
>Diversity — of race, gender and even species — has always been a central quality of the light side, one that set it apart visually and ideologically from the dark side.

>Imperial and proto-Imperial forces are consistently placed in conflict with more diverse forces — whether they're the Rebels, the Jedi, or the allied human and gungan troops of Naboo. In Star Wars, homogeneity is synonymous with evil. Nowhere is this more clear than in the Imperial army of the end of Palpatine's reign, staffed entirely by white, male (and human) officers.

Is she right /tv/? Will movies in the future be reviewed not based on the quality of the film but by the skin color of the actors in it? Is this a what the world has been waiting for?
>>
I FUCKING HATE WHITE PEOPLE
>>
File: 1398220113755.gif (2 MB, 341x321) Image search: [Google]
1398220113755.gif
2 MB, 341x321
>>63838635
>polygon
kill yourself
>>
>posting a direct link to polygon
>>
Finally, a woman in Star Wars
>>
I'm not overtly racist but as a white person seeing a black character like Finn obviously lusting after Ray made me uncomfortable.

Like its hard not to see the obvious agenda being played out here.
>>
how is oscar isaac not white dumb ass americans lmao

and fucking han solo isn't white?
>>
Imagine living in a world where you see this racism and sexism everywhere and the gender/race of a character is important to you to the point where you redefine white people.

What a damaged individual. MRAs/Goobergates/Feminists are all huge dipshits.
>>
>>63838821
>I'm not overtly racist but I believe all of the ludicrous antisemitic canards dreamt up by the bigoted stormweenies from /pol/
Seek help
>>
>>63838635
>polygon
son
>>
>>63838725
you should get off the white invented computer on the white invented internet and go back and live in the jungle.
>>
>>63838929
>doesn't like abrams casting choice
>anti semetic bigot shitlord
oy vey
>>
File: CV-o06QXIAMwIOS.jpg (18 KB, 460x259) Image search: [Google]
CV-o06QXIAMwIOS.jpg
18 KB, 460x259
>>63838929
>bigoted stormweenies
>>
No, the common folk don't give a shit about that.

They give a shit about the quality and entertainment value. Literally nobody will buy a ticket to a movie because it has more females or is more progressive.

It's as usual, everyone will like and "care" about this shit but when they have to buy tickets they won't judge it on that.
>>
File: FullSizeRender.jpg (182 KB, 640x1135) Image search: [Google]
FullSizeRender.jpg
182 KB, 640x1135
>>
File: jj abrams.gif (14 KB, 256x300) Image search: [Google]
jj abrams.gif
14 KB, 256x300
>>63838635
>>
As yes I sometimes forget how this kinds of people see the world.

Homogeneity = evil
White men = evil
White people = aren't white people if I don't want them to be
There is a huge conspiracy to keep brown and black people down by the media by not having them be pillars of morality and virtue in every movie their in, and white people are over represented unless they are portrayed as either old people or the villains.

What a wonderful world.
>>
File: emmaRoberts1.jpg (229 KB, 1200x1646) Image search: [Google]
emmaRoberts1.jpg
229 KB, 1200x1646
>Is she right /tv/? Will movies in the future be reviewed not based on the quality of the film but by the skin color of the actors in it? Is this a what the world has been waiting for?

This is already happening. Critics have no appreciation or respect for entertainment as an art so these films and video games are judged based on who's invited to the party. If your minority does not get invited there will be hell to pay by these loser wannabes.
>>
>>63838929

Conspiracy shit aside it's a horrible pairing and the chemistry is off.

White folks as a whole aren't super keen on the idea of race mixing.
>>
File: 1445538107943.gif (81 KB, 182x249) Image search: [Google]
1445538107943.gif
81 KB, 182x249
Diversity has nothing to do with the success of that movie. All it had to be is be called Star Wars and at the very least a palatable popcorn flick (which it is) and not be horrendously bad.
>>
it's clear they werent love interests though, just "friends", kinda surprised finn died though, you'd think he'd stick around at least until the end of the next movie if JJ really wanted to kill the nigger

that way maybe his death wouldve shocked me a little more than just "wow the nigger actually died"
>>
>>63838821
nigger you're the definition of racist

it's like any person starting his post with "i'm not x but" is a fucking retard
>>
>sith aren't diverse

lmao what a bunch of cucks, the entire point of the Sith is that they're radical individualists while the Jedi are slaves of the collective sentience known as the 'will of the force'.
>>
>>63838635
> all of the white dudes in the film appear to be acting the roles of mentor characters or villains, overfamiliar and historical standby roles for actors of color.

Err... white British dudes have been playing the bad guys in movies for decades.

Do the hacks who write for websites have zero intelligence?
>>
This movie is a reflection of real life.

Minorities don't want to build their own success according to a white man's rules. They want white men to change the rules so we're on the minorities' level.

Changing for white people will lift you up.
Changing for minorities will drag everyone down.

And that's why we end up with a shitty iteration of A New Hope with niglets and bitches instead of something new and innovative.
>>
I don't care about the race and gender of the characters. But I kinda roll my eyes whenever a female lead gets praised in this fashion. "Finally for the first time women have a character to look up to." Umm guys you do realize that there has been a huge rise in female protagonists for years now? most of the biggest series now have a female lead. It's not really that special anymore.
>>
>>63838635
>Cast is diverse
>Movie is genuinely good
/POL/ ON SUICIDE WATCH
>>
>>63839267
yeah, the author clearly doesn't know shit about the universe she's writing about.
>>
>>63839267
>papyrus font
>>
>>63839371

>Movie is genuinely good

lol what
>>
File: smug armond.jpg (28 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
smug armond.jpg
28 KB, 460x276
Feminists can rejoice at Disney Corporation's calculated political correctness.
>>
>>63839359
It hasn't been special in fucking ages. Terminator and Alien are cult classics.
>>
>Exactly the same amount of women and poc in this movie as were in the original trilogy 40 years ago

lol
>>
File: 1360881345941.gif (1 MB, 291x260) Image search: [Google]
1360881345941.gif
1 MB, 291x260
>>63838635
More diversity doesn't bother me in films like Star Wars. Less diversity doesn't bother me either, actually.

For those blacks and women able to find a character they're able to relate to on a surface level, uhh, good for them.

I'm sure this is an agenda being pushed, but I don't care.
>>
>Not realising white people are fucking awesome.
I like everyone. I don't care about a character's race. But it is nice to see a black and female lead in a big movie like this. Let's be real here guys, it really is about time.
>>
File: 1447403816165.png (505 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1447403816165.png
505 KB, 1280x720
>>63839267
Why are all of the Sith JUST mode?
>>
Female leads are better, that's why Force Awakens is better than A New Hope.
>>
>>63839530
go away tumblr
>>
>>63839530

does it make you feel like a good person?
>>
File: 9 KB.jpg (12 KB, 223x250) Image search: [Google]
9 KB.jpg
12 KB, 223x250
>>63838635
>the sort of people that Hollywood routinely overlooks: women and people of color.

>mfw popular media has been pushing this idea for the last 25 years

>routinely overlooks

Predator was in 1987, let it go people.
>>
>>63839559
>Rey is ultimate Mary Sue and there isn't anything she can't do.
Hard to make a compelling story when there is no tension.
>>
>Waiting for people to realize Finn is just Jar jar 2.0
>>
>>63839402
yeah, it's like those retards don't realize what is happening. They act exactly how the suits in the Disney executive rooms wanted them to behave. They don't give a single shit about diversity. If people were screaming that there weren't enough dinosaurs in the last star wars movie then the next movie would have dinosaurs. They only care about what fills their pockets and if "diversity" fills their pockets they are going to greenlight a movie like that.
Every single time there is a trend big companies just capitalize on it and "sell" the new fad. Right now it's diversity. It's going to be something else in 10 years from now. And every single time it's included a bunch of retards will applaud them for it as if they struck a blow for a progressive idea within an evil industry. As if they took a risk. How the fuck is being progressive a risk in this day and age? People lose their jobs over every single stupid shit that could be interpreted as sexist or racist. Everyone fucking upvotes and reblogs each other about how great diversity is in movies. It's literally the status quo. There is nothing progressive or daring about it. No one is offended if they see a black guy in a movie. What people fucking hate is that they make a big deal out of it and pretend that it's something new. It's not new. It hasn't changed anyone's world-view. The company sold you a product and you fucking fell for it because you are so invested in your political and social ideas.
>>
They keep saying that Finn and Rey are in a relationship but, what happened?
>Finn (kinda) hit on her
>She gave him a kiss on the forehead while he was in a coma
Fucking Luke and Leia's kiss was on the cheek.
>>
>>63838929
>thinks the Jews who literally run Hollywood aren't pushing an agenda to change the entertainment market by manipulating pop culture to be able to reach a broader audience
>the audience changes when the demographics of the world changes
>eventually, western culture will be seen in a negative light and Hollywood wishes to remain ahead of this shift before they become one of the casualties.

Hollywood doesn't give a fuck about Liberalism or Conservatism. Their God is money, and pushing diversity and race-mixing sells best and keeps them secure.
>>
So do feminists like Rey? Because from what I've seen she's kind of unbelievably awesome at everything at everything and loved by everyone which I'm not sure is a realistic standard to follow by young women
>>
File: rey'sloveinterest.jpg (88 KB, 650x953) Image search: [Google]
rey'sloveinterest.jpg
88 KB, 650x953
>>63839767
you're thinking too small anon. We don't need interracial we need inter species.
>>
I'm not racist and I don't mind the black guy. But I really wised they made him less ugly and a geeky manlet type of black guy. Like a lovable Urkel type.
>>
she is a cutie..

the next step is to cast an obese girl in an action intense movie for MUH BODY POSITIVITY
>>
>>63838635
Pretty sure it's gonna be racist that the empire or whatever they call themselves in VII didn't hire people of color
>>
you would think in this day and age, they would have been able to make a star wars movie as good as the originals.
>>
>>63838635
Diversity-wise, you know what bothered me? The lack of alien sidekicks. The OT had Chewbacca. The PT had Jar Jar (yes, I know). The ST has... Chewbacca, again.

Come the fuck on.
>>
>>63839750

They're all posers who just want to be invited to the party. They don't give a shit that Disney is a fucking evil company that it planning to have a monopoly on all cherished IP form the 20th century and pay off congress to extend copyright protections until the year 3000.

It's all about have their back stroked in cheap, corporate pandering films like this one
>>
File: 1447729892405.png (666 KB, 914x511) Image search: [Google]
1447729892405.png
666 KB, 914x511
>>63838635
>all white countries must become multicultural
>diversity is praised without question, despite providing no benefits
>diversity makes countries demonstrably worse
>crime rates increase
>Harvard study shows civic engagement decreases as diversity increases
>ethnically homogeneous states like Japan and China are economic successes
>US, UK, Sweden, etc. are declining.
>now media made by whites is forced to stop giving white people roles
>there are people on this planet who legitimately believe this is a good thing.
>>
>>63839798
they wouldn't understand what "strong" means. It's funny that many feminists made fun of male power fantasies as a standard in story telling for movies or videogames when the stereotypical strong female character is devoid of any flaws or weaknesses and good at absolutely anything.

Luke was full of self-doubt and naivety, totally incapable of effectively wielding the light saber until the third movie and even then it was clear that Vader was just playing around with him and the only reason he got his arm cut off was in a moment of rage on Luke's side. Throughout all 3 movies Luke constantly needed help for everything he wanted to achieve. That's believable character writing. It would be stupid to assume that someone can just achieve greatness all by himself. A strong character is someone who overcomes challenges in spite of their weaknesses, not someone who is literally without a single flaw and capable of achieving absolutely anything they want to achieve.

It reminds me a lot of how some animes handle their main protagonists. Genius high-school student with insane grades, also incredibly social skills and probably good at sports. Also possesses some secret power probably. It's boring and makes it look like interesting stories can only happen to the prototype of the superhuman.
>>
>>63839742
finn wasnt annoying unless you're a huge racist

also he ded

>>63839767
nigga he ded

also she friendzoned him
>>
>>63838635
say what you want about the movie but the casting is pure marketing genius
>finn to pander to the black demographic
>nyongo, phasma and other diverse minor roles for the sjw audience
>rey for the female audience
>old cast for nostalgia and original fans
>max von sydow for patricians
>raid guys for asian audience and action fans
they've got all their bases covered and the only people who complain about it are a tiny portion of the viewers, places like /tv/ and /pol/
>>
>>63839781
This that and the other
>>
File: 56437356453q543.jpg (47 KB, 449x591) Image search: [Google]
56437356453q543.jpg
47 KB, 449x591
>>63838635
>GL tried to put diversity in over a decade and a half ago
>Look what happened.
>>
>>63839742

that was the funniest thing.

the dude was portrayed as a coward who added comedy to balance Rey's seriousness.
>>
>Oscar Isaac is not a white dude
Can you spot a single indigenous feature in his face? do these assholes even know how average guatemalans look like?
>>
>>63840226
It's funny cause they made Rey almost perfect and able to overcome problems easily while Finn almost always failed at everything he did.
>>
File: redTails.jpg (87 KB, 626x418) Image search: [Google]
redTails.jpg
87 KB, 626x418
>>63840194

George Lucas produced a film entirely for black people by black people and about black people and he was still attacked for being racist.

These people are just fucking jealous.
>>
>>63839140
No race is particularly keen on race mixing, especially the jews
>>
File: image.jpg (28 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28 KB, 480x360
WHITE PEOPLE, I KNEW IT WAS THEM!

EVEN WHEN THE WOMEN WERE SPOILED AND THE BLACKS COMMITTING DISPROPORTIONATELY HIGHER RATES OF CRIME, I KNEW IT WAS WHITE PEOPLE!
>>
File: image.jpg (86 KB, 720x617) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
86 KB, 720x617
Fuck feminism it's ruining the country
>>
>>63840354
>make a movie with an all black cast
>SJWs will still complain that the villain is black and a black guy dies first.
>>
>>63838635
This movie will win at least 3 oscar
>>
It's weird they say this too since they actually show women in the First Order in the new movie, and not even just Captain Phasma but some support staff and one regular Stormtrooper IIRC.
>>
>>63838929
good goy
>>
>>63838635
Well, after all it's [insert current year]
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.