[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What makes The Empire Strikes Back so great?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 13
File: Empire_strikes_back_old.jpg (398 KB, 1369x2125) Image search: [Google]
Empire_strikes_back_old.jpg
398 KB, 1369x2125
What makes The Empire Strikes Back so great?
>>
Only liked Yoda.
>>
https://youtu.be/HMUKGTkiWik?list=LLbotHwORrFUSrMKLkXUMfuA

this scene alone is better than anything in the prequels.
>>
>>63816970
It's basically a road trip movie. Everyone loves a road trip movie.
>>
File: image.jpg (60 KB, 852x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
60 KB, 852x480
Part of it is the fact that it's an intergalactic road movie, with a bunch of metaphoric interludes.

The other aspect of it is that is the most naturalistic of the OT. Characters stop and luxuriate when they enter a landscape. It feels more spiritual for that reason. Like they've gone back to basics.

In the rest of the movies, they're running past all of these landscapes and only stopping once they reach a major setpiece.
>>
Hoth is cool
>>
>>63816970
the bad guys win, same reason Ep. III is the best of the prequels
everyone likes it when the bad guys win
>>
Because John Williams fucking kills it with the score.
>>
File: image.jpg (458 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
458 KB, 1920x1080
>>63817209
Setpiece in this case meaning a heavily constructed set, like a starship interior, or a palace barge.

ESB allows Luke to relax in Endor's environs, while the rest are shuffled through these dreamscapes. It's the perfect movie to watch at night. A campfire sort of classic.
>>
File: empire2.jpg (20 KB, 576x254) Image search: [Google]
empire2.jpg
20 KB, 576x254
>>63816970
for me, it looked spectacular.

There was something about the look of the 2nd stage Lucas movies (Raiders, Empire) that are beyond compare for me.

Has any other Star Wars movie attempted shots like pic related?
>>
>>63816970
I think it's a lot of things, some of which have already been mentioned but mainly, for me at least, it has a darker tone. It feels like things are getting serious -- you get the notion that the rebellion isn't just going to have an easy victory. The Empire seems really daunting and competent in ESB and Vader seems like an insurmountable obstruction for Luke. Also, the big reveal blindsided most original movie-goers and even I, as a kid, was pretty shocked by it.
>>
>>63816970
they spliced midichlorians into the film reel
>>
Battle of Hoth
Han and Leia chemistry/banter
Luke's training/Yoda segment
Luke vs Vader
Millennium Falcon/asteroid field/space worm segment
Carbonite/"I love you, I know"
Cinematography
Dialogue
Humor

Everything.
>>
>>63816970
>inventive battle scenes
>Empire victory
>Hero gets robotic upgrade
>the betrayal
>the score

It's the best of them imhotbhfam
>>
The biggest twist in cinema history, among dozens of other reasons
>>
>I love you.
>I know.
:3
>>
>>63817105
The best scene in all of Star Wars. The music, the effects and the message behind it makes it pure movie magic. It's a shame that George fucked up Yoda in the prequels and that the Disney Star Wars movies are just glib facsimiles
>>
>>63817497
>>
Easily impressed parrots. It is most over rated movie of all time. Pseudo nerds will have you believing that george lucas ruined this movie that was once so great even though they probably didnt even see the original version until after the new ones came out. You can find these geek posers at your local comic cons repeating everything plinkett says wearing there han shot first shirt thinking they sound like they know what there talking about, but take it from me these movies are on par with bollywood scifi shit dont waste your time.
>>
It's by far the best written. All the major characters have clear goals/motives that are fleshed out very economically, in only a few scenes. The second act slows down but that is where they lay out the mythology behind the force, and also let the film breathe a bit. Then the third act is excellently balanced between the Luke/Vader duel and the quest to rescue Han and then escape Cloud City.
It's also the best directed/edited/shot. The lightsaber duel is well paced, slow but menacing, and Luke is constantly getting overpowered by Vader, barely making it through the fight.
>>
>>63817545
kill yourself
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 1720x2380) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 1720x2380
It's great how ESB is bookended with two very bright scenes at the beginning and at the ending.

The lowering of the sun is a major plot point in the intro, then after the Battle of Hoth, we go into this long night movie. Han Solo pilots the Falcon past a dozen apparitions and omens, before Luke 'wakes up' and enters cloud city.

Space is a beautiful allusion to dreaming in ESB. Johnston will understand that and probably knock it out of the park.
>>
It's not as good as ANH
>>
File: image.jpg (842 KB, 2553x1404) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
842 KB, 2553x1404
>>63817564
You can also view it as a five act play. It uses all of its characters, effects, and surprises to good effect. The cliffhanger feels earned because the sword of Damocles which has been hanging over Han is finally dropped.

And the direction of different timezones helps mitigate the editing issues that plague other SW flicks.
>>
>>63818327
Sorry I got the fucking name wrong, it isn't coruscant.
>>
Oh i fucking liked a lot when the lot where in cloud city, just chillin, then boom Vader, and Han doesnt hesitate for a second and shoots fuckin Vader, that was badass and sets his character like no dialog could do.
>>
>>63818327
It's brilliant how the screenwriter decided to skip a sunrise... We actually go from moonlight in Act III, to dusk in Act IV, then back to moonlight in Act V.

Subconsciously we notice that kind of thing.
>>
>>63816970
hoth battle, lukes training, han and leia banter while evading the empire, the cloud city ending sequence
>>
>>63818548

That's maybe the single best scene in the whole trilogy. There's an actual feeling of surreal horror in strolling into a white, sterile dining room thinking its lunch time and Darth Vader's sitting there at the head of the table. Like an angry dad waiting for son to get home so he can beat the shit out of him. The visual contrast between the cool, white, shopping mall appearance of Bespin and the jet black hulk of Vader is really impressive.
>>
i've never really understood, what's up with the flow of time in this movie?

luke seems to be on dagobah for days, weeks even, but han & gang seem to be doing their stuff for a day or two at most
>>
>>63819649
I don't think that's important. Dagobah is surreal, almost dreamlike and magical. Whether or not time really functions the same way there as it does anywhere else isn't important. In fact, the timelessness of it all makes it feel even more detached from reality.
>>
File: Han-Solo-700x300.jpg (36 KB, 700x300) Image search: [Google]
Han-Solo-700x300.jpg
36 KB, 700x300
mfw you have to ask..
>>
>>63817580
>then after the Battle of Hoth, we go into this long night movie
Wow, didn't realize that.
>>
>>63816970
Hoth
>>
>>63819784
that's some good shit youre smoking
>>
>>63816970
It's the worse of the original prequels, you know i'm right
>>
>>63820286
He's right though. Could also be the time slippage on Dagobah :^)
>>
File: blueandorange.png (2 MB, 1919x816) Image search: [Google]
blueandorange.png
2 MB, 1919x816
>>63816970
The sets, the pacing, the cinematography, the dialogue...it's all tighter, darker and more gripping then both IV and VI.
>>
>>63820286
I'm inclined to agree with him. A lot of Dagobah is more about what's going on inside Luke's head as he gets his first real taste of what the force can do, I think it's supposed to be more metaphorical than literal.
>>
File: image.jpg (243 KB, 1440x800) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
243 KB, 1440x800
Remember anons... When you stare into the abyss, the abyss also stares into you

https://youtu.be/5ObZv0mV-FU
>>
the only bad thing about ESB is that Luke's training on Yoda's planet was a bit too long
>>
>>63820867
Nah.
>>
>>63816970
literally everything about the film is why it is so good.
>>
File: image.png (82 KB, 262x323) Image search: [Google]
image.png
82 KB, 262x323
This guy right here. He makes soup
>>
File: Vader's_revelation.png (3 MB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
Vader's_revelation.png
3 MB, 1600x1200
This scene blew the minds of a generation. I remember seeing it on release at the cinema, you could feel the shock in the audience.

This was in a time when it was a lot harder to be spoiled on movies as well, which makes the revelation all the more powerful in hindsight. I haven't seen TFA yet and I already have had a bunch of stuff spoiled. The death that happens is going to have less impact because I know the whole time it's coming.

There's kids who'll see half a dozen parodies or references to this scene before they actually watch the movie (if ever), and as a result it just won't have the impact it should.
>>
It was initially rather less well received by movie critics than the 1977 original, yet more proof that critics have always known fuck all.

It's a very well paced movie, I feel. The exciting and dramatic final third feels earned after the slower but poignant middle section. Movies that constantly hit audiences with action sequence wig action sequence (capeshit) can never achieve this.

The final scene of them staring out at the Falcon flying off into space from the Rebel Fleet, with the perfect music playing, is my favourite ending to a Star Wars movie.
>>
>>63821509
you pretty much know that tfa is going to have han die since theirs a climactic build up to that point and you will pick up a shit load of similarities
>>
File: Lukevaderesb.png (2 MB, 1919x816) Image search: [Google]
Lukevaderesb.png
2 MB, 1919x816
>>63816970
Great story
Great characters
Great writing
Great sets
Great special effects that still hold up
Great music
Beautifully shot
Iconic moments

It's one of the best achievements in film making.
>>
>>63821946
I didn't see any spoilers but by the time Rey and Finn got to the alien bar with Luke's Lightsaber I realized that I was going to be able to pretty much guess out the rest of the movie based on having watched A New Hope. I realized there that Han pretty much had to die to create an Obi Wan/Vader moment.
>>
>>63819649
>>63819784

Relativity is what's up

The Falcon's hyperdrives are disabled so it has to travel at sub-light speed in "normal" space. Time dilation occurs.
>>
>>63822157
>posting the SE
Ughhh...
>>
>>63821509
I knew the plot beat for beat from the trailers. I knew they were going to kill someone significant to ape Obi-Wan's death in Star Wars - and since Han was the only person with a lot of screentime from the old cast, it was obvious it was going to be him.
>>
Because they didn't have a studio mandating shit like how Disney does these days. It's the same reason why The Godfather II is so good. The studio let them do whatever the fuck they wanted because the first movie was so well received. Disney is going to be directing-by-committee with the new Star Wars movies just like they're doing with the MCU to make them all a homogenized pile of forgettable garbage to maximize profits.
>>
>>63822360
That's a double-edged sword. It doesn't help when a major studio like Fox goes all hands-off with Fantastic 4 and ends up with a giant turd that no amount of post-production takeover could fix. For years, possibly even decades, executives in studios like Disney will be able to justify their meddling by pointing to that movie.
>>
>>63816970

Boba Fett
>>
>>63822645
You don't know shit about the production of that movie then. It was literally greenlit at the 11th hour or else Fox would have lost the rights to the movie. They HAD to go into production with something, and they still meddled with it in the end. The movie was clearly unfinished. Trank was used as a scapegoat because he wouldn't shut up.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.