[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is it called Starkiller Base if it's used to destroy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 6
File: image.png (966 KB, 791x547) Image search: [Google]
image.png
966 KB, 791x547
Why is it called Starkiller Base if it's used to destroy planets?

That's like calling a gun "Bulletkiller".
>>
Because it kills the star to destroy the planets dipfuck
>>
did you even watch the movie
>>
File: Bendak.jpg (700 KB, 768x960) Image search: [Google]
Bendak.jpg
700 KB, 768x960
>>63815315
>Starkiller
KOTOR is canon CONFIRMED
>>
>>63815315
Because you are a faggot
>>
>>63815330
But they fired it once and the star was just fine
>>
>>63815315
>Star Destroyers
>Don't actually destroy stars.
>>
>>63815330
What star did it drain from? The one from the system they target or some nearby one? Obviously it couldn't be the star from the system the base was in.
>>
>Death Star
>its a moon

lets bitch and moan about all the names why dont we
>>
>>63815315
>not calling your gun bulletkiller
>not calling your dick cumimpregnator
>not calling your ass poopfeeder
>>
>>63815413
Probably just a star near the planet. They only suck up the star's energy to charge the weapon, but not enough that the star completely goes out so it comes back later for the weapon to use again.
>>
>>63815315
It's le epic nostalgia reference referring to Luke's original name being Starkiller instead of Skywalker
>>
>>63815315
all I could think about every time it was on screen was that it looked like a butthole, never thought this about any other Deathstar
>>
>Millennium Falcon
>Falcons can't fucking fly in space
>>
>>63815407
It's a destroyer that travels through "the stars", a.k.a. space. Compare "Land Battleship" or "Airship".

Granted it's more of a battlecruiser but whatever
>>
>>63815506
>the star "comes back later"
Wouldn't that take like a million fucking years? Yet they fired it twice in an hour?
>>
>>63815399
This in particular irked me. They kill the star and then nothing happens to the planet. That just not fucking possible. If every time they use it the star they're near is destroyed, then how were there any trees outside of the base when they moved on form the first star? It just doesn't make any sense, and I know it is scifi but ffs it took me out of the movie.
>>
File: 1450206497335.gif (1 MB, 276x260) Image search: [Google]
1450206497335.gif
1 MB, 276x260
Why did they make one giant base the size of 50 Death Stars instead of just making 50 Death Stars? Even with the same horrible vulnerabilities it would spread the rebellion too thin to be able to fight back. Hell just make a shit-ton of Star Destroyers with those resources. Don't bother answering this I have to defecate and i'm shutting down my laptop to play with my android cardboard on the toiler. burn in hell everyone
>>
>>63815407
"Star" like a movie star. The biggest and best ship in their fleet. A star ship, if you will.
>>
The more terrifying thing is sucking up an entire star.

Just imagine a weapon capable of that. Being able to just take the core of an entire system, causing the planets to die off just slow enough for the people on them to realize what the fuck is going on, knowing they cant do anything to save themselves.
>>
>>63815315
It "kills" the star temporarily by sucking it inside the station. Then, uh... I guess they put it back? I'm not sure how it works
>>
>>63815407
>star destroyer
>kills all the actor's careers.
>>
>>63815315
It was an old fucking Lucas name they tried to throw in as an homage, cant expect much.
>>
>>63815506
It was pretty clearly pulling physical plasma out of the star. There's no "recharging" removed stellar mass.
>>
>>63815604
Good thing the station can't move and the only star it affects is the one that POWERS THE STATION
>>
>>63815644
>harrison ford
>the only actor in Sar wars to make a career afterwards was the only character capable of outrunning a star destroyer

Holy fuck.
>>
>>63815315
>Why is it called Starkiller Base if it's used to destroy planets?
It DOES. It eats an entire sun and uses its energy to power its beam. So the sun is killed.
>>
>>63815315
Because it's a shameless reference to the EU.
>>
File: StarForgeSucksGas-KOTOR1.jpg (30 KB, 250x531) Image search: [Google]
StarForgeSucksGas-KOTOR1.jpg
30 KB, 250x531
>>63815586
It's been done tens of thousands of years ago though.
>>
How did the first order even make a weapon like this? Sheev had control of the majority of the galaxy and the death star was still a massive undertaking so how the fuck did the first order which was a rag tag group of fan girls make a weapon of this size?
>>
>>63815315
Bullets get pretty fucked up from hitting something so that name's accurate
>>
>>63815739
>>63815604
>>
>>63815695
But they fired it twice with one star. Did they only use half the star the first time?
>>
Is there any question that Star Wars could totally destroy Star Trek in a fight now? Fucking empire remnants can make planet-sized space stations that can eat entire stars.
>>
>>63815811
Star Trek has time travel and Star Wars doesn't
>>
>>63815739
that was more of a space factory
>>
>>63815677
I guess you completely forgot about Mark Hamill's very active role as a voice actor huh?
>>
Nobody in the galaxy has the technology to manipulate stars like this. This is N O N C A N O N
>>
File: pottery.png (652 KB, 777x713) Image search: [Google]
pottery.png
652 KB, 777x713
>>63815315
>That's like calling a gun "Bulletkiller".
Are bullets that meaningful before being fired from a gun? Or is their being fired the defining feature in their design and utility?
Are suns (possibly sustaining life or being used to end life) more or less meaningful than bullets before being fired from a Starkiller?

Marginally, yes, yes.
>>
>>63815315
>why are they called fire trucks when they...

we get it george carlin, thanks.
>>
>>63815751
Both Death Stars were built in total secrecy. They didn't make a fucking dime in the coffers of the Empire.
>>
>>63815850
Star Trek is multiverse, basically meaning time travel is pointless. Besides, the galaxy doesn't seem to regress technologically no matter how far back you go.
>>
>>63815315
It's called that because it feeds on stars dumbfuck
>>
Wait, can this thing MOVE?
It's just a planet with a cannon on it, right? And...the core scooped out to make room for a star?
Isn't it just orbiting around its only ammo source?
>>
>>63815586
Pretty sure they built the weapon on a planet, they didn't build the entire planet. There's still trees and an atmosphere on the surface.
>>
>>63815563
>>63815506

My interpretation is the base, like the Deathstar, is mobile, so it finds a star, eats it, and then fires it. Then it finds another star. Eats it, repeats the process.

It explains why it's an ice planet even though it is so close to stars. They aren't there long enough to heat it, and the people on the base can likely survive inside it if it functioned like a giant ship / station with atmosphere control.
>>
>using up entire stars when entropy is slowly wearing them down already
wasteful imo
>>
>>63815315
You're a fucking retard OP.
>>
>>63815803
oh no, next thing you ask is how to move those planet to other star, why no one knew huge ass planet with gun on it, why the grav pull from dying star doesnt create black hole
>>
Which planet did they laser with the first shot? Was it Coruscant?
>>
>>63816273
Nope

Hazzan system or something was it was called
>>
File: image.jpg (105 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
105 KB, 1024x768
>>63816195
Is it possible to shoot black holes?
>>
>>63816195

All three of those things are easy to answer and don't require huge leaps of logic

>How does it move to another star

Same way the Death Star, which was the size of a moon, moved. Just bigger. It's been 30+ years since the Deathstar was built, technology probably came a ways.

>No one know about Starkiller base

Space is a big, big fucking place

>Why did the gravitational pull from a dying star not create a black hole

The star was siphoned slowly, black holes are formed when a star becomes so dense and massive and has so much gravitational pull that it collapses in on itself

Removing a star from one spot in space doesn't create a black hole.

>>63816273

Nah, it was some other planet that they borrowed from the EU. Starts with an I?
>>
>>63815407
it's a destroyer-class starship
>>
>>63816346
when does the Death Star move? I thought it just orbited and shot from one place?
>>
>>63816346
>it was some other planet that they borrowed from the EU

>The EU is only canon when they're blasting it to pieces
Kill me.
>>
I would like a gun that shoots bullets into other bullets.

http://strawpoll.me/6306008/
>>
>>63815315
How did they blow up a planet sized death star with some grenades?
>>
>>63816392
The first Death Star was built nowhere near Alderaan. Do you think it shot across half the fucking galaxy?
>>
>>63816487
if they had a clear shot, why not?
>>
>>63816392

I mean in A New Hope the first time they find it and the time it comes to destroy Yavin IV I assume it isn't in the same spot.

Checking with Wookiepedia, it lists "The Death Star pursued Organa and her allies to the Yavin system, where the Rebel base was located on Yavin 4."

I assume the Starkiller had much longer range but needed to move to another star to recharge, unlike the Death Star.
>>
>>63815563
>>63815655
I figure that since stars put out a ton of energy every second, they're only really taking the plasma byproduct of the fusion reactions instead of the actual fuel, so the star will come back to full power pretty quickly or however long it was between the first and second times they were going to use the weapon.

I'm no astronomer though, but it is a science fiction movie and physics is ignored all the time for the sake of space magic. It probably would cause some funky stuff to happen to the star to take a bunch of mass from it though, especially for a planet orbiting it, so maybe it is able to fly around sucking energy from stars.
>>
>>63816557
Damn, that would've been cool to see. Imagine an entire planet dropping out of hyperspace
>>
>>63816664

It must have had hyperdrive capabilities, or else it would be impossible to police the galaxy with it like they wanted unless the laser had infinite range which I find pretty unlikely.

Also, did it produce a gravitational field? Something that massive surely would mess with the tides on a planet, or something similar.
>>
>the first time in galactic history that total control over a star's energy has been possible
>use it to blow up planets instead of unlimited energy
If they gloss over this in episode 8 I'm going to be mad
>>
>>63815462
thats no moon

its a space station
>>
>>63816512
A galaxy is a big place with a lot of things you could possibly hit instead of your target...
>>
>>63816757
I don't think energy has ever been a problem in the star wars universe.
>>
>>63816802
it's a flat spiral. just go up and over any obstacles
>>
>>63816482

They didn't. It had just drained the star of it's energy, and the Resistance blew up what was keeping all that plasma stable and contained.

It proceeds to go unstable once the containment fields are gone and melts the Starkiller from the inside out. That's why at the end it's not a massive explosion like the Death Star going up, but literally ends up forming a new sun out of the original + the mass from the Starkiller.
>>
>>63816837
I hate you so much
>>
>>63815407
>Star Wars
>the stars don't actually fight each other
I want my money BACK!!
>>
>>63815902
Hollywood doesn't consider voice acting real acting.
>>
this movie gave me horrible flashbacks of the "red matter" from the star trek reboot
>>
>>63816926

Yep. It was pretty fucking similar.
>>
>>63816926

ISIS thinks "Red mercury" is real and they can use it to make an atomic bomb

true fucking story
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.