[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Half in the Bag: Star Wars - The Force Awakens anticipation thread.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 5
File: hitb.png (313 KB, 701x394) Image search: [Google]
hitb.png
313 KB, 701x394
Half in the Bag: Star Wars - The Force Awakens anticipation thread.

Will he like it?
>>
He probably liked it, despite it having all the poetry he criticizes in his prequel reviews. I'm curious to see the rhetorical gymnastics he'll employ to try not sounding like a hypocrite.
>>
TFA is a pretty good movie, not better than the originals. Honestly speaking though, the only thing I was hoping from this movie was for it to be better than the prequels. and it was
>>
Ahh yes, redditlettermedia
The movie 'critics' for people who don't really watch movies because they are 'too busy' playing video games and watching animu

But hey, LE STAR WARS PREQUELS SUCK XDDD right?
>>
>>63814297
He liked all JJ movies, of course he is going to like it.
>>
>>63814824
You're not very bright.
>>
>>63814297
I'm pretty sure they both gonna like it but not very much. They usually say that the movie was good but we are not manchildren or kids to love it, which is not true btw given the fact how much attention they give popcorn blockbustets.
>>
>>63814824
>imblying I can't like all 3, have taste, and think RLM is great

I smell a redditor trying to fit in. How's not having a wide range of tastes treating you?
>>
>>63814297
I doubt he'll like it. It falls into the same stupid rut as every other JJ film, and many of his criticisms for 2009 Star Trek and Into Darkness are applicable.

Star Wars is dead. You can't revive it with super safe scripts based on a story that's been done over and over and over again. The heart of Star Wars was novelty. It was a shot in the dark way back in the 1970's and it succeeded precisely because it was so different.

Ironically JJ succumbed to the same retardation that plagued cinema in the 70's: if it isn't "realistic" or "gritty," it's garbage. Star Wars bucked cinematic trends, it didn't conform to them.

It's not going to get better until it does something different, which, now that Disney owns it, will never truly happen.
>>
>>63814848
>He liked all JJ movies
He tore apart Star Trek Into Darkness.
>>
>>63814297
Mike will really like it but will criticize it for being derivative. Jay will like it but not as much as Mike and will be more critical. Screencap this post.
>>
>>63816635
>and many of his criticisms for 2009 Star Trek
You mean the review where he outright said JJ should direct Episode VII?
>>
Just watched TFA, and rewatching Mike and Rich's predictions.

They were pretty spot on about most things. I think Mike will like it, he'll criticize it for following the beats of A New Hope pretty much entirely, but he'll still say it's the best Star Wars since Empire and he'll give it a strong recommendation. Jay will like it less, but will still give it a watch.
>>
>>63816750
only the writing, he said the action was well done and filmed
>>
>>63816635
Star Trek and Star Wars are very different franchises, and their implementation is different. You don't expect or want a Star Trek movie to be dumb and full of action. you want it to be slower and more intellectual. Star Wars works with lots of action.
>>
>>63817096
It was. The writing was a total mess but the action scenes were fun.
>>
>>63814824
This tbf (to be f-a-m)
>>
>>63814824
Pasta little stale, ain't it?
>>
>>63814297
They are from reddit. Of course, they will like it. Will bash the both sides though.
>>
>>63817014
Yes, that review. You know, the one where he also said JJ has consistent problems with characterization and pacing. Like he does in Force Awakens.

You should try watching the entire thing.
>>
>>63817196
>Star Wars works with lots of action.

No, it doesn't. That's the prequels talking. The prequels were quite literally action packed (IT'S SO DENSE) and they were awful. Star Wars works best as a character story, not an action movie. The focus of the OT wasn't the space battles or the lightsabers, it was the characters in the space battles and swinging the lightsabers. They were part of a larger universe, not some hollow marketing team's demographic report.
>>
It is time. Time for me to watch that video that destroys the Plinkett reviews. Who will supply me with a link to my destiny?
>>
Not if he rationalizes everything.
>>
>>63818156
TFA was the opposite of "dense". You seem to be mistaking a packed screen (bad) with emotional action (good)

TFA is nothing like the prequels. Jesus just look at the lightsaber fights, there's no acrobatics, there's no crazy flips. It's just people fucking going at each other with laser swords. The bit with Kylo Ren punching his gun shot to get himself going is something that would exist in the original trilogy but would not in the Prequels.
>>
File: 1415310844967.jpg (14 KB, 387x448) Image search: [Google]
1415310844967.jpg
14 KB, 387x448
>>63814824
>not posting the "my review of RLM" pasta

step it up family
>>
>>63818093
It was also unambiguously positive
>>
>>63818404
I wasn't comparing TFA to the prequels, anon. Read carefully. I was responding to the statement that Star Wars works best with lots of action. It doesn't.
>>
File: 1450473498671.png (128 KB, 237x218) Image search: [Google]
1450473498671.png
128 KB, 237x218
Will they end up being like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzTCffMJXvM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iGMgJ6H8E8
>>
>>63818437
Except for the parts that weren't, which you seem set on ignoring for some reason. JJ isn't a good director by any reasonable stretch. He's obsessed with proving to the audience he's a bonafide expert of whatever genre of film he tries to make. He shoves in gratuitous fanservice and homage in place of story, and he does it consistently. Name any JJ movie and you'll find a circlejerk of recycled "Ha! Ya get it?" references and one-liners. His pacing has always been frenetic and loose, and it's always prevented his films from being anything but marketable properties for big studios. He can film one hell of an action scene, which is all the "positivity" RLM mentioned.
>>
>>63818523
>Have Youtube volume at 100%
>can barely hear what they're saying
Mike normalize the fucking volume
>>
My "review" of Reddit Letter Media

posting in a friend simulator thread
idolizing an aging group of youtube vloggers from Milwaukee
he gives his real-life "friends" money every month

Rich
an unemployed construction worker, the trick monkey fraud of the group. knows two tricks: forced laughter and becoming violent. brava, rich! brava!

Jack
a failed viral marketer with an ugly wife and children with terrible names ('myson packard?'). he knows he's the least popular cast member and desperately tries to fit in by making fun of reddit on stream

Mike
an over-the-hill "director" weighed down by his talentless friends. only makes "ironically bad" videos because they're immune to criticism. his latest production 'Space Cop' will expose him as a fraud and be a spiritual and economic disaster. he will eventually go the route of orson welles, balloon up to 500 pounds and die at the ripe age of 50.

Jesse
the curdling definition of a parasite. ditters on her phone while the men do all the hard work. got caught buying jewelry with actual Patreon money.

Jay
the only cast member showing any self-improvement or growth. still has a long way to go, but has already outgrown RLM.

I like how Reddit Letter Media is a company founded upon criticism, insulting and berating others and their works, but HEAVEN FORBID that anyone criticize them! They'll even ban you from their stream if they catch a whiff of dissatisfaction. It's amazing how creatively lazy the group has become. They were better when they were a starving group. Now they can sit on their fat asses, drink beer and make fart jokes while you throw money at the screen. Amazing
>>
>>63814297

They'll want interviews or special passes, so they'll give movie high praise with an obligatory "IT WASN'T PERFECT, BUT WHAT IS?" so they won't seem like complete shills.
>>
>>63818564
>got caught buying jewelry with actual Patreon money

kek what
>>
>>63818564
>Reddit Letter Media

You're that faggot who wrote 100 some odd page essay about how much you hate Mike, aren't you?
>>
>>63818404
>The bit with Kylo Ren punching his gun shot to get himself going is something that would exist in the original trilogy but would not in the Prequels.

No it wouldn't.
>>
>>63818533
I'm not going to argue the merits of JJ, i'm simply stating the fact that a review can be mostly positive while pointing out flaws. How many other Plinkett reviews call the film they're dissecting "engaging"? If this has many of the same flaws that Star Trek did, then, like Star Trek, they might still enjoy it.
>>
>>63818564
>Pays people who work for him every month.
Heaven forefend.
>>
>>63818700
>I'm not going to argue the merits of JJ
But you were. If you concede the point, fine, but don't pretend you aren't here defending him. He's milquetoast at his very best, some lukewarm lackey to Hollywood studios that can occasionally tack together a coherent story between action sequences. He's of the Joss Whedon school of directing.
>>
>>63814297
"Good, but not great."
>>
>>63818749
>But you were.
Where? I gave my opinion on Red Letter Media's review of Star Trek; I never articulated my views on JJ Abrams.
>>
>>63818788
>You mean the review where he outright said JJ should direct Episode VII?

You wrote that in response to my saying that JJ's consistent lack of storytelling ability reared its ugly head in TFA, and that Mike mentioned it in his reviews.

You're here to defend JJ. I'd encourage you to articulate your views if you have the time, but it's clear thus far you're only here to whine.
>>
>>63818838
First of all, I didn't post that. Second, the guy didn't make a single statement in defense of JJ, he's simply interpreting a review of Star Trek. He's suggesting that you bringing up the Star Trek review in order to predict that Red Letter Media's review of TFW will be negative doesn't make much sense given that that Star Trek review was positive and suggesting that the qualities that made Star Trek fun would lend themselves well to Star Wars.
>>
>>63818941
>I didn't post that.
Sure.
>Didn't make a single statement in defense of JJ
Ahem. >>63818437

Look, make a point if you're going to make one, but don't hide behind ambiguity as if that excuses you from the discussion. Your only point so far is that you don't have one. Ho fucking hum.
>>
>>63814297
when i saw redletter media i knew it was the movie critic for me because all the other critics dont be clear what i should watch but they are very clar on what i should like so i can switch my brain off as i think veryt hard in my career as a doctor of ailments becuaae od tha i havw a a lot of stress in my life and it can be very bad to have stress because it can effect your work as a doctor of men but becuseo f that very good critic views i can watch what they say and lose the stress and do good work asa doctor and get praise from the nujrses who like me because i helped the good people at the hospital you know
>>
>>63819022
Not him, but you're a fucking retard
>>
>>63819022
>>Didn't make a single statement in defense of JJ
How fucking stupid are you? That isn't a defense of JJ, that's a statement regarding someone else's opinion of a movie he made.

>Your only point so far is that you don't have one.
You're changing the subject. This thread is about Red Letter Media, not JJ Abrams.
>>
>>63814297
Gonna call it now, Mike will say that JJ played it very "safe" to avoid criticism. They'll talk about the quality of the action for a bit. Then they'll go into an in depth comparison of TFA to the prequels and how JJ tried to avoid their mistakes.
>>
File: 1450476659617.png (44 KB, 640x560) Image search: [Google]
1450476659617.png
44 KB, 640x560
>it's a reddit thread
>>
>>63819119
He'll probably mention how much came from the Plinkett reviews, honestly

When characters run up and hug each other it feels like JJ watched the part about 'genuine moments have been replaced with...' and made sure to stick them into TFA. And while he hit those notes he missed some others, like in the Episode III review about opening scenes setting the tone, which was thrown off by Poe's sudden comedy in an otherwise dark scene
>>
>>63814297
It's the 100th episode so it gon be gud.

Rich will love it.

Jay and Mike will like it.
>>
>>63819967
Rich doesn't love anything
>>
>>63814297
I bet they all won't like it that much

They will call it okay and list the things they did right (aka shit they complained about in the prequels) and then they will complain about how the story is uninteresting and unmemorable and a carbon copy of episode 4

Random praises and negatives with a luke warm recommendation
>>
I'm hoping the 100th episode will be Alvin and the Chipmunks, Boys on the Hood then they do a long Plinkett review later
>>
>>63818090
this

>Will bash the both sides though.

i hate this so much. millenials will seek compromises everywhere in a compulsory "nothing has any value"-sort of way. it's fucking disgusting.

some things are objectively shit and you don't always have to "consider both sides".
>>
Time for a Plinkett review comeback, and feature length too, not those bite sized episodes for the non-SW prequels
>>
>>63820488
This sounds like something they would do.
>>
>>63814297
It will be at least an hour long episode, one will like it more than the other, though I'm not sure who
>>
>>63820058
>Rich doesn't love anything

There is one thing Rich loves.
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198045532751/games/?tab=all
>>
>>63821160
le sci-fi nerd
>>
>>63814574
I came here to post this.
>>
File: raeg.jpg (3 KB, 86x125) Image search: [Google]
raeg.jpg
3 KB, 86x125
>>63821160
>all those games with no play time
>>
>>63821633

>Being angry when Rich "The Jackhammer" Evans is spending his entire life killing xenos and keeping you out of forced interracial breeding camps
>>
>>63821552
I logged in just to upvote this.
>>
>>63821633
>this guy actually plays the games he buys during steam sales
>>
>>63821776
fuck off reddit letter media shill.
>>
>>63814824
Yes they do actually. Your point?
>>
What was the last big budget blockbuster that Mike didn't like? He liked all of the Marvel movies, he liked Jurassic World, he liked the new Star Trek movies, he'll obviously like Episode VII.
>>
Prediction:

Jay likes it.

Mike is ambivalent.

Rich hates it.
>>
>>63814574

Mike will like it and not be bothered much by the parallels to IV. He'll praise the characters for passing the 'describe them without their occupation or appearance' test

Rich will wish there was less in common with IV

Jay will gush over the cinematography and practical effects
>>
>>63814574
Plinkett didn't hate the poetry as such, only the fact that it wasn't well executed.
>>
So how much spot on were Mike's and Rich's predictions on TFA? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oifhpT0HZ7Q

Will they delete the video or just keep it up for views and shekels?
>>
>>63823535
They were pretty correct but so were everyone else
>>
RLM are the living embodiment of the smug, detached Gen-X ethos.

I'd venture to guess none of them has felt a single sincere conviction about anything since childhood. They exist as polyps upon the colon of culture, satiating themselves on the perceived failures of others (i.e. "The Man") while adding nothing new to the discourse aside from ironic complaint.

They're a group of insecure, lost, rapidly aging burnouts who silently believe they could do a better job of making films than the professionals in the industry. Yet they lack the ambition and ability to actually enter the very industry they're obsessed with. They choose instead to fuck around and make student film piss-takes well into middle age.

They are awful, awful people. I've met thousands just like them, and the last thing we need is for these people to gain any attention for their navel gazing.

Please, /tv/, do not aspire to become anything like these people. Theirs is a lonely and pathetic road leading to depression and a life devoid of real purpose.

I hope they disappear and their disaffected followers stop subsidizing their lifestyle. Perhaps that would force them to do something productive with themselves.
>>
>>63823535

Half and half
They were just about completely accurate with kylo and mike called the fact it would be safe with heavy influences from the OT
some of the smaller details were wrong though
>>
man o man do i ever hate these guys
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.