[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Discuss VII fights
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 34
File: Finn_v_trooper.jpg (39 KB, 620x374) Image search: [Google]
Finn_v_trooper.jpg
39 KB, 620x374
So, kinda off topic, kinda nitpicky... so a perfect Star Wars VII thread.

Anyway. (no real spoiler here)

Duel against the storm trooper.

Just was thinking about this, but any duel against a solid weapon (that can resist light sabers) would seriously fuck a Jedi up.

Think about it.

A light saber has no weight (save the hilt), and the balance is literally all in the hilt.

Clashing with a heavy weapon would fuck you up. The light saber would probably fly out of your hands.

Overall though, the fighting was way better (back to a sword fighting sort of thing) rather than whirling single man army of death in the prequels.

Discuss the fights.
>>
>>63814267
The most refreshing fight scene in the entire fucking movie.
>>
File: 1450257782323.jpg (7 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1450257782323.jpg
7 KB, 400x400
>lightsaber cuts someone
>it doesn't sever a limb or kill them outright

Has there ever been a tiime before VII where a lightsaber inflicted only minor wounds?
>>
>>63814267
TRAITOR
>>
>>63815024
I liked this, Finn vs. Kylo, and when Chewbacca went ape-shit and shot a dozen troopers after losing Han.

I liked it, the fights felt rough.
>>
fucking TRAITOR
>>
>>63815127
Luke got a slight arm hit on Vader on the catwalk in Ep. 5, Vader just didn't give shit much because robot arm.
>>
>>63815168
Stomtroopers were constantly being flung backwards into walls and shit from blaster fire. It looked like they were getting hit with shotguns.
>>
>>63815127
I mean, it's just like a really sharp, hot sword.

Minor wounds make sense.

I liked it honestly... because every previous lightsaber fight ended the instant someone got a hit. All the ways they showed damage/dominance were dumb.

Like... oh, I clearly have the upper hand... let me show this by kicking/punching my opponent when their guard is down, rather than using my fucking lightsaber.

I see it as a welcome improvement. One thing I hope they continue in the future.
>>
>>63814267
>Traitoooor!
>That lightsaber... Belongs to me!
>Come get it!

I thought that was a pretty good build-up. The Rey fight was just a good scene in general, everything just works together to give the emotion. But literally "We'll continue this later" ending and Rey just closing her eyes and focusing to find the force "within her" was a bit too forced. Still, when the movie is running at 2:15 and you gotta wrap shit u[p, I suppose that kinda stuff at least doesn't go against the spirit of the franchise.
>>
>>63815127
Count Dooku singed Obi-Wan in episode 2
>>
>>63815127
Episode V (on the walkway right before Luke gets his hand cut off, he nips Vader's arm), Episode II (Obi-Wan got nipped fighting Doku), and maybe Episode III during the Doku fight in that one, I'm not entirely sure.
>>
Slightly off topic but yall niggas need jesus and to learn about laser weapons. Lightsabers and blasters are not based on reality so stop trying to analyze them. You know what happens when a stromg laser made by man hits you? It vaporizes all the liquids in the area it hits and burns the impact zone. Not like star wars where kylo can get crossbowed in the gut and still live. Just turn your brain off man its star wars :^)
>>
Honestly I really liked the fights in VII

They seemed more real for some reason
>>
>>63815168
>dat Han "not even looking" shot
>dat bowcaster

Also, Chewy literally going apeshit was very satisfying to watch.

>Shoots Ren
>Shoots at least 5 stormtroopers while running around
>Blows the place up
>>
>>63814267
>be stormtrooper TR-80
>see best friend FN-2187
>he has abandoned his brothers in arms and actively fights them
>at one point you would have died for this bastard
> TRAITOR!!!!

This guy was either super ballsy, or personally hurt by seeing Finn. Who goes up against a guy with a lightsaber?
>>
>>63815395
Yeah, you don't know shit.

Star wars weapons are not lasers. Most are plasma based (blasters and sabers).

But whatever, the point of this thread is to talk about fictional fights and weapons. Sorry if that annoys you.
>>
>>63815395

Now that you mention it, Kylo does seem to get a pretty nasty hit. But it's nowhere near any major organs, even though you can see him suffering throughout the fight, losing a lot of blood. No wonder we got cucked by an amateur force user and a non-force sensitive.

No matter how incomplete your training is, for someone who's thriving to achieve Vader's power level, that's gotta be tough to take in. Nevermind the nasty scar Rey left him with. Fucking kinslayer.
>>
>>63815475

I think as soon as they found out about him, they made sure every Stormtrooper in the first order not only knows about the guy, but also goes to bed thinking about how they can kill him. The guy's probably from his division or something.
>>
File: MagnaGuard.jpg (24 KB, 500x475) Image search: [Google]
MagnaGuard.jpg
24 KB, 500x475
>>63814267
I don't know why everyone had a problem with this. In ep. 3 Obi-Wan and Anakin fought the magnaguards (these droids) who had used a similar electric staff and no one really said much. There are other EU examples of melee weapons that can withstand a lightsaber strike.
>>
>>63815520
Im guessing he has a pretty nice chunk taken out of his side. He was clearly bleeding pretty badly. By the time he fought Rey, he must have been weak as all hell.
>>
>>63815577
What was that chest stomping thing he was doing before the fight? I thought he was trying to stop the bleeding by applying pressure to certain areas around his heart or something but can't be that deep. He was probably trying to get himself riled up.
>>
>>63815520
Yeah, Jedi/Sith aren't invincible.

A ton of jedis have been taken down by blasters over the years.

Emotionally conflicted + wounded Kylo Ren vs. resolute Finn and gifted (but untrained) Rey seems a fair match.
>>
Why did they include Phasma if she never had a fight scene? And why did she go against her conditioning and betray the Order?
>>
>>63815574
It certainly felt perosnal. He called him out and chose to fight him with his riot baton instead of just shooting him. I think Traitor Trooper is my new fave.
>>
>>63814267
Did that baton make the same noises as those Electrostaffs from ROTS?
>>
>TRAITOR!

Did anyone else feel this was really kind of forced? I mean first off how in the SHIT did they know he was a Defector? What they plastered his entire face across the entire First Order net? Also maybe the StormTroopers might be pissy but why in the hell was baby vader calling him Traitor with the same veal. Like he gives a shit about honor or the StormTroopers or even The Order for that matter. The entire last half he basically abandoned his men to chase down some kills in the forest while the entire planet was being fucking rekt.
>>
>>63815575
No, I get that.

My problem isn't that they can' block lightsabers.

It's that light sabers would actually be a super shit weapon against these things.

Light sabers have no momentum behind them. They are fast, but weightless... but they are "solid" in the sense they can block hits.

It would be like fighting someone using a baseball bat... when all you had is a wiffle ball bat. Assuming the wiffle ball bat didn't break, it would still get knocked out of your hand really easy (too light).

Lightsaber duels work though because both blades are weightless.
>>
>>63815626
Yeah, pain to beef up his force powers is one thought. Causing the area to swell to reduce bleeding is another. I think samurai used to do it.
>>
>>63815475
A guy specifically trained in close range combat with a weapon specifically designed for close range combat that emits a fields specifically designed to repel the lethal cutting heat of a light saber?
>>
>>63815716
Nah, it made sense.

For most of the movie, the only two solid leads the First order had in hunting down the map involved a white and orange droid (distinct model) and Finn.

They were going to plaster his face on First Order net, so to speak.
>>
File: what the fuck.webm (138 KB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
what the fuck.webm
138 KB, 854x480
The lightsaber fights were rad. Except the Mary Sue bullshit, I felt like I was watching a restrained, cool, OT saber duel again, rather than this trash.
>>
>>63815716
It might've been a bit too forced only if Ren didn't do the exact same thing. I'm thinking it's a First Order thing. Betray the cause and get identified by any member of the First Order anywhere by your new name: Traitor.
>>
>>63815267
You've obviously never been hit with blaster fire before you fucking pussy ass nigger.
>>
File: 1449627186381.jpg (472 KB, 752x1062) Image search: [Google]
1449627186381.jpg
472 KB, 752x1062
>one random stormtropper has a baton that has the technology to fight against a lightsaber for no apparent reason since the only known jedi is MIA somewhere and he just happens to show up there and the baton is never seen again for the rest of the movie
>>
>>63815656
Better question.

How does a SINGLE fucking Storm Trooper have the authority and codes to shut down the entire shield network on what is basically a fabricated Holy Terra WMD?

How does not a SINGLE fucking technician in the COMMAND AND CONTROL ROOM have the authority and codes to reactivate them?
>>
>>63815476
Superheated plasma would have the same effect. Its the heat that matters, plus it has no real mass so it shouldnt be throwing people around like it does in the movies. Just turn your brain off :^)
>>
>>63815758
Its not designed to stop lightsaber blades. It was a lucky coincidence. He was a riot trooper. His baton is made for knocking motherfuckers back. There arent any Jedis around using lightsaber. Hell, it was a rare weapon to see in ANH.
>>
Traitor trooper really should've been Phasma.
>>
>>63815813

It is what it is, but I was 16-17 when I watched that shit and it blew me the fuck away. Although good call on finding the middle point and making the fights intense but not campy. Lot of stabs, which is how you usually kill someone with a sword.
>>
>>63815813
I'm going to be fair and not call her a Mary Sue quite yet.

Mostly because Luke was kinda like that in the first film, then toned down (shit did not goes his way in V) as films went on.

I'll wait to see what happens before I judge her as a character too harshly.

All of the fights were really well done, even the blasters felt like they had actual weight and a threat to them (unlike the weightless light show that existed in the prequels that only was there for Jedi to block from time to time as they moved forward)
>>
>>63815721
>Making up physics about a fictional weapon
They obviously don't work how you think
>>
>>63815863
>hey lets make another planetoid base with a giant laser that has a single point of failure again
>the planet is fucking huge but everything happens to be within walking distance of single point of failure
>>
>>63815475
First time we see any stormtrooper with a motivation.
>>
>>63815862
Of course the plot was the hunt for Luke, so its logical to conclude they might find Luke and need to be able to combat him.
>>
>>63815862
You underestimate the power of the forced action scenes
>>
>>63815863
And how did they find her when the entire fucking planet is a base.
>>
>>63814267
How was this not Phasma? What a fucking misstep.
>>
>>63815276
>Rey just closing her eyes and focusing to find the force "within her" was a bit too forced.
Maybe if you missed the part where Maz specifically tells her to do exactly that.
>>
>>63814267

Did this fight feel like it was out of Indiana Jones or something?
>>
>>63815168
>and when Chewbacca went ape-shit and shot a dozen troopers after losing Han.
This was ruined for me by those Stormtroopers walking in with Kylo, then everyone vanishing, then Kylo and Han appearing on a bridge which also appeared, then the Stormtroopers re-appearing when they needed to get shot by Chewie.
>>
>>63815927
This really did irk me. Films IV, V, VI, and now VII have all had a Star Destroyer as the final climax and every single one of them destroyed said Star Destroyer.

Like holy fuck they killed 4 Moon/Planet sized weapons in 4 movies. Lazy as fuck these writers. After the 3 Star Destroyer you think they'd come up with anything else.
>>
>>63815953
Because Traitor Trooper is based and Phasma gets her due in Part 8.
>>
>>63815953
Because he dies and she's going to be in the next movies
>>
>>63815864
Gas has very little mass and yet explosions (rapid expansion and heating of gas) throw people all over the place.

Plasma in star wars is high energy, and magnetically contained. It expands rapidly when it hits the target, creating an explosion and burns.
>>
>>63815948
THE
FORCE

Literally any coincidence in any star wars movie is never explained as anything other than luck and Obi Wan states in ANH that in his experience there is no such thing as luck.
>>
>>63815905

The thing is, her piloting/fighting/engineering skills are perfectly explainable. The girl is a scavenging genius, finding salvageable parts in a ship that crashed 30 years ago, on a planet full of scavengers takes skill. And after I saw her easily take out two guys with her stick, I stopped questioning her fighting skills. Also the girl is extremely force sensitive, possibly the second generation offspring of the strongest force user in the history of the galaxy.

But, she really picked it up fast nignog. Then again she has a full-on premonition when she touches Anakin's saber. That might've been a better crash course than Luke got in ANH. She seemed so freaked out from so much sudden information that she decided to run away, 5 minutes after trying to convince Finn to stay.
>>
>>63815953
Because putting Phasma there would mean putting a superior fighter in front of Finn, which is obviously a big no-no
>>
>>63816018
Hes not dead.

He cant be dead.

TR-80....

i love you
>>
>>63815127
when Frodo slashes gollum's stomach
>>
>>63816003
V never had a Death Star what the fuck are you talking about? Does anyone actually watch these movies?
>>
>>63815948
That was just luck though, remember? They went to the site to deactivate the shield... Finn started going on about how to best go about finding Rey... and then Han luckily noticed her through the window.

They would have been fucked, but I allow my movies to let chance happen from time to time.

Sometimes shit just happens!
>>
>>63816066
Although it was actually her own flashback, I did like how the force echo of Anakin's lightsaber was the sound of children screaming.
>>
>>63815721
If lightsabers had no weight, it would be impossible to twirl them. Light has no mass, but a lightsaber blade does. Otherwise they would look like flashlights (obviously that's because they're holding a stick, but still).
>>
Your opinion matters. See where you stand. Complete this:

http://strawpoll.me/6306008/
>>
So was it intentional to make Kylo incredibly ugly but not in the "this is an evil person so he face matches his soul" kind of way? Dude is just plain hard to look at. Plus he looks and sounds so young. Not to mention he throws 2 separate temper tantrums. Not rage fueled rampages. Just whining and cutting up expensive equipment.

I get that he is supposed to be between the Light and the Dark and still new to the Sith thing but he acted and fought like a fucking child.
>>
>>63816018
They could've had Chewie pick her up and throw her knocking her unconscious.
>>
>>63815979

Yeah I remember, but you do it before you get into a lightsaber fight with a dark Jedi. Not during a lightsaber clash, remembering it as an afterthought when your opponent mentions it out of context. You know what I mean?
>>
File: Tray-Tor.png (215 KB, 538x540) Image search: [Google]
Tray-Tor.png
215 KB, 538x540
>>
>>63816003
This one was a really cool take on it though.

Why build an entire planet/moon sized station when you can just slap a couple of engines and a super laser on a planet? Turn that into a mobile base.
>>
why did this one random fucking stormtrooper have a weapon like that

shouldn't he have had special armor to make him stand out?
>>
>>63816091
Finn 'the janitor' also knew that there was that one place that would blow up the planet if it was destroyed for some reason. and the girl was being imprisoned in the same area as well.
>>
>>63816154
Why? So they're easy to pick out of the crowd and get picked off by sharpshooters?
>>
>>63816103
He's a Skywalker. A family notorious for hot headed whiney bitches.
>>
>>63816096

She also sees the fight under the snow in the forest.
>>
>>63816103
Of course it was intentional.
>>
>>63816139
F
>>
>>63816097
Twirling would still be possible as long as one side of the handle was weighted, which may make sense (to shift the balance of the blade forward or backward).

It's mostly in the books and EU (but not only in the stuff destroyed by Disney, but in other forms elsewhere) that lightsabers have almost no mass. Just light, energized plasma.
>>
>>63816139
F
>>
File: 1440986501899.jpg (22 KB, 741x530) Image search: [Google]
1440986501899.jpg
22 KB, 741x530
>>
>>63816222
>Hollywood: Where you can cast really shitty and unfitting actors and then claim it is for DEEP reasons instead of the fact you casted really shitty and unfitting actors
>>
>>63816003
There was no Death Star in Episode V bro. It ends with Luke duelling Vader on Bespin, remember?
>>
But seriously why did Kylo wear a mask, did they explain that?
>>
>>63816197
Those were two separate places.

One was to take down the shields (where they found Rey)

The other was a giant regulator thing (that stabilized the energy form an entire star... so big potential for a boom)
>>
>>63816355
TELL ME ABOUT KYLO
>>
>>63816096
>the force echo of Anakin's lightsaber was the sound of children screaming
Is that true or a meme?
>>
>>63816124
I get you, but she's not a trained Jedi. Her first instinct isn't going to be to mentally prepare for a fight with the force. From a writing perspective the battle took a turn when she does force focus. If she started out being a badass in the fight it wouldn't flow as well, IMO.

Kylo needed the upper hand to force her to accept to rely on the force to guide her which is something she's never done before. She'd used the force, but never overtly let it guide her actions.

Anyway I get what you're saying, but I disagree that it felt forced. It felt like a natural progression of character. It was kind of out of place in the middle of a fight, but it was a quiet moment after he showed he obviously wasn't actually trying to kill her.
>>
>>63816403
It's true. It's not the children he murdered, but I still thought it was funny.
>>
>>63816312
Why is he shitty? He's tall and pretty jacked, graduated from Juilliard, and delivered the performance that was given to him in the script. I dont even think hes that bad looking. He has those kind of off beat good looks.
>>
The only two things I thought didn't make any sense were how the fuck did Rey know how to do a Jedi mind trick, force pull, etc with literally no training, and the scene with shiny chrome bitch.

I have MAJOR problems with so much of the plot being copy/paste, but I still really liked the movie. Especially the fight scenes. Just enough flashiness to make the duels a little more "exciting" than the OT, not SO flashy that it looks like a retarded choreographed dance like in the prequels.
>>
>>63815862

That's a riot weapon. Note he had a shield at first before chucking it like a smart trooper, realizing his opponent had a saber that'd slash right through it.

He was there to brawl and subdue. Finn actually does end up getting his saber knocked away by the electrobaton in the end, too. Weight or no weight.
>>
>>63816312
Apparently you've missed two trilogies of previous precedent and still pretend like you know what you're talking about
>>
>>63816440
>He has those kind of off beat good looks.
You are blind or attracted to ugly people. You need to be reconditioned anon.
>>
>>63816355
He worships Vader.
>>
>>63816355
He wanted Snoke-sempai to notice him.

Snoke in turn always looked up to Vader-sempai.

Seriously though, why is Snoke so afraid of Luke? I mean, he was able to destroy his entire order the first time through... is he afraid because Luke is the only one who can choke the Snoke?
>>
>>63816355
He's got a hard on for imitating his granddaddy
>>
>>63816455
He throws the shield away before Finn brings out the saber.. so he throw it away like a meat head.. and a lightsaber isn't going to instantly chop through the shield.
>>
File: overwatch.jpg (929 KB, 1809x2385) Image search: [Google]
overwatch.jpg
929 KB, 1809x2385
>>63815575

i actually kinda liked those robots/their plasma staff things

pic unrealted
>>
>>63816139
F
>>
>>63816103

He -is- a child. Sure, he looks badass but his training is incomplete, even if he's got the Skywalker talents. He didn't even get completely trained by Luke, betrayed him, and the Supreme Leader didn't train him fully either because he wasn't fully turned to the Dark Side.

He's a weaker Luke with more natural talent in immobilizing stuff than anything else. And he's definitely no Vader. To the Force, he is truly a novice, although a well-dressed one.
>>
>>63816449
pretty much my gripes with the movie. As well as why there weren't any cameras in the StarKiller Base? ANd why was Captain Phasma a useless character and why did she not report the rebels while at the computer?
>>
does anyone have the traitor trooper batman photoshop
that ones my favourite
>>
>>63815267
Probably to highlight how powerful the wookie bowcaster is in relation to regular blasters.
>>
File: img-adam-driver_161049679999.jpg (203 KB, 900x1152) Image search: [Google]
img-adam-driver_161049679999.jpg
203 KB, 900x1152
>>63816484
I dunno, he looks pretty good here.
>>
>>63816139
F F F F F F
>>
>>63816510

It's not energized, like say those ray shields the Gungans used in the prequel trilogy.

Even a saber noob like Finn would have cut straight through it with a single stroke, and this way he had both hands free to use the baton to bludgeon him down instead.

It was the right thing to do given the opponent's weapon.
>>
>>63816632
his ears draw too much attention though. that's the problem i think.
>>
>>63816632
He looks like he just fell down a flight of stairs
>>
>>63816693
Thats why I called it off beat good looks. Its unconventional, but im pretty sure this guy could steal your girlfriend (or anime body pillow).
>>
>>63816632
>those ears
>hiding his slanted fucked up bone structure behind a beard
>looking at him dead on instead of from the side where the above two are even more prominent

Look if you want to fucking ugly men just say so. I literally am not going to judge. It is just a very bad character trait to have and means you're going to pass on bad genes.
>>
>>63816766
settle down, adam
>>
>>63816766
Samantha would never cheat on me (she's imaginary teebeeayyych desu)
>>
>>63816682
>cut straight through it with a single stroke,
Nah it wouldn't.
>>
Can I ask the question...?

How the hell did the Alliance/New Republic lose control of everything so quickly??? I mean... yeah, we have new enemies... but will they even try to explain WHY or HOW we have new 'bad-guys'?
>>
>>63815721
they arent weightless you idiot
>>
>>63816848
this desu senpai

For being crushed and there being a new Republic it seems like the New Order had just as much if not more power and resources then the Empire. How in the fucking fuck does that happen in the short time skip between VI and VII? The resources also to construct the Star Killer would mean the Rebels and Republic would have decades to attack and destroy it. Instead they act like dipshits and allow them to amass a huge army and build a weapon that can wipe out their planets from across the galaxy.
>>
>>63816828

Yeah, it would. This isn't "sword vs. shield", it's "plasma ray capable of melting through a blast door" vs. "thin chunk of metal".

Chop chop.
>>
>>63816105
>wookiee suplex

i didnt know i wanted this
>>
File: adam.jpg (121 KB, 980x1236) Image search: [Google]
adam.jpg
121 KB, 980x1236
>>63816789
Just my opinion, you guys dont have to jerk off to him or anything.
I tend to spend most of my time looking people head on, so we can talk... not staring at them from the side.
>>
>>63816848
It's because everything is back to how the Republic used to be like in Phantom Menace. Everyone is afraid to get into a war with First Order, and shit takes forever because of debates and voting. They only tolerate having the Resistance because they're afraid of completely being fucked by the First Order. Resistance might gain more power now that First Order's shown off that they're capable of destroying systems at long range.
>>
>>63816911

The Empire had shit going on all over the galaxy, not just the stuff at Endor.

Killing the Emperor and such only decapitated the leadership, and it's not like the Republic fleet was in great shape after the Battle of Endor, either. Given leadership, the infrastructure was almost completely intact. And sure enough, along comes Mr. Dark Side to pull things back together.
>>
>>63816941
I was really really sad that Chewie didn't rip the arms off some Troopers after Han died. He obviously was angry enough and that would be the perfect time to cash that long overdue chip in.
>>
File: Adam-Driver-09[1].jpg (39 KB, 800x500) Image search: [Google]
Adam-Driver-09[1].jpg
39 KB, 800x500
>>
>>63816911
Exactly! I mean... hell, they were able to figure out and destroy the second Deathstar long before it was completed. How did they miss something FAR larger than either of the old ones?

>>63816949
Not explained though... this movie actually NEEDED the politics scenes from the prequels to make any sense. Not to mention that I'm sure the old rebel alliance would've kicked any uprising's asses as soon as they figured things out.
>>
File: 1450400071839.jpg (1021 KB, 3024x4032) Image search: [Google]
1450400071839.jpg
1021 KB, 3024x4032
>>63816848
The politics have been mostly relegated to books

Basically, the New republic doesn't want to go to war with the First Order because they think shit will go back to how it was 30 years ago. Leia sees they're fucking up and creates the Resistance. She asks the New Republic for help but they are reluctant and they also kinda hate her. Neither of them knew about the Starkiller because First Order territory is remote. New Republic gets rekt, but keep in mind that the planets that got BTFO are not Coruscant. New Republic votes on which planet will host the senate every so often to make it so every system has an equal say.

Anyway, the senate and the fleet get rekt by Starkiller and only Leia's Resistance was left to combat the Starkiller.

The Visual Dictionary has a lot more info on this stuff.
>>
File: adam+driver+underwear+24[1].png (667 KB, 1414x775) Image search: [Google]
adam+driver+underwear+24[1].png
667 KB, 1414x775
>>
Rey and Finn should have both gotten completely rekt in that fight. Kylo Ren shouldn't have broke a sweat. he was trained by Luke and was beat by a stormtrooper and a scavenger
>>
>>63816979
Do you think that after the Emperor died, the empire defaulted on any loans they had taken out to pay for the death stars. I cant image thay paid in cash upfront.
>>
>>63816979
Yes... there were remnants of the Empire. Did the film address this once though? Did it talk about the Alliance failing? NO. That is where we get a huge ass hole in the film. It didn't need to be so fast paced the entire time. Yes, it's a hip new movie... but it still needs to explain itself.
>>
File: 1420858465111.jpg (838 KB, 3024x4032) Image search: [Google]
1420858465111.jpg
838 KB, 3024x4032
>>63817032
>>
>>
File: galaxy.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
galaxy.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
>>63817061
>>
>>63815168
It would've been really satisfying to see him tear people's arms off.
>>
>>63816945
his face isn't symmetrical, you thinking that people who aren't by nature beautiful makes me think you have some kind of fetish for big noses
>>
>>63817071
Posting pictures of this ugly ass faggot doesn't make him any less ugly.
>>
>>63817032
>Books
Remember what Disney said about the books? They screwed it all over. Now the new information we are being given... isn't properly being explained. I mean... who FUNDED the Starkiller? That thing must've taken forever to build, and needed a lot of man-power... which need to be fed and supplied.
>>
>>63816915
nah.
>>
File: adam+driver+naked[1].png (1 MB, 1280x782) Image search: [Google]
adam+driver+naked[1].png
1 MB, 1280x782
>>
>>63817100
Dayum... I stand corrected... which book is this, and why wasn't it stated in the movies? T_T
>>
>>63817115
Symmetry is overrated. I like different.
>>
i love u adam
>>
>>63817152
TFA Visual Dictionary

They probably heard the complaints of the prequels being too much politics and probably didn't want to go too political in TFA.
>>
>>63817156
okay but he is severely lacking in the features that would make someone conventionally attractive

maybe u have some kind of fetish
>>
File: ku-xlarge[1].jpg (153 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
ku-xlarge[1].jpg
153 KB, 640x360
>>
>>63817058
That's what the new EU is for. Also my guess is that Snoke was an inquisitor.
>>
>>63817201
Which is why I specifically stated he has off beat good looks, not conventional ones.
>>
>>63814267
This movie sucked.
>>
File: 1438871686854.jpg (10 KB, 226x223) Image search: [Google]
1438871686854.jpg
10 KB, 226x223
>>63817284
which is why I specifically stated you might have some kind of fetish for people with big noses
>>
>>63817312
Then id be attracted to people with big noses. Im not. Someone with a big nose can still be attractive though.
>>
>>63816212
Their captain wears chrome armor with a trimmed cape. They don't seem to care about keeping their specializations secret to their enemies.
>>
>>63817180
hmmm ty. guess I'll have to find some scans. lol
>>
>>63816378
IF I PULL THAT OFF WILL I SEE THE FACE OF MY SON?
>>
>>63817312
>has big nose
>would bang
>>
>>63815168
Man, that scene with Chewie gave me chills. The way they handled the death of Han was pretty good, to be true.
>>
Kylo vs. Rey was the best lightsaber fight out of any star wars movie. No ridiculous twirly shit, just two characters swinging heavy swords, getting sliced and slicing everything around them. Sure, Rey winning was a little dumb but the fighting itself was GOAT.
>>
>>63815276
>Still, when the movie is running at 2:15 and you gotta wrap shit u[p

There was too much tripe in that 2:15. Literal cringe at the scene with rey climbing the wall and JJ is wasting time with Finn's "LOL I dunno \_O_o_/" bullshit

Why did disney think that the guy that spearheaded cloverfield and lost would be the one to bring this franchise back up and running?
>>
>>63817032
See, now ALL of this should have been explained in the movie. Instead we got Finn, who is either the victim of EXTREMELY lazy writing, or a straight up liar. (First, just a trooper, then a janitor, but wait - he knows all about the starkiller systems! reflected in his member of the resistance lie to Rey. He could turn out to be a very interesting character if they play with this) Plus about 5 seconds of that martha jones lookalike before the republic got BTFO
>>
>>63816584
i think there were cameras, or at least sensors, one of hux's underlings mentions rey appearing on a sensor somewhere
>>
>>63817451
The handle thing didn't make any sense. It was pointed with the hand guards at each of their chests. Like if he were to activate it both would die. Then it just magically is pointed directly at Han.
>>
>>63817494
>Sure, Rey winning was a little dumb
I disagree. It was pretty obvious throughout that second half that Rey was sent to Jakku for a purpose and Ben knew exactly how powerful she really was and that her true potential was locked away, by Luke most likely, judging from the scene where Ben talks to the guards about how "her power could grow fast if we don't stop her now."
She obviously has had some training and was a protege more so then Ben even at a young age.
>>
>>63817494
i love the way kylo fights, he cant do any fancy shit so he just wails on people
>>
>>63816629
I felt like they did this to emphasise how big of an impact it would have had on Kylo when he got hit by it.
>>
>>63817767
Yeah. Its very heavy handed, hard swinging blows like a claymore.
>>
Consider the following:

Rey had been trained by Luke previous to the Knights of Ren fucking shit up. We've seen Kylo still has compassion towards his family in the present, so he may have spared Rey and dumped her on Jakku and either mind wiped her or she repressed her own memories of things. When that officer mentions "the girl" to Kylo, he gets pissed and immediately asks "what girl?" likely having a hunch that Rey got involved. Couple that with Rey touching the lightsaber and seeing the visions, which awaken the force powers she already had, but had forgotten that she had them.
>>
>>63814267
The fight with the stun-tonfa trooper was the best in terms of cinematography. Everything felt organic and intimidating, and the cameras weren't six inches away from everyone's faces like almost every other scene in the film while the stormtrooper laid down some whoop ass.
>>
>>63816848
they killed the emperor and blew the death star up, they didn't destroy the entire empire
jfc if obama dies does that mean the usa stops existing?!
>>
>>63816139
F
>>
>>63815953
Holy shit, really why. Finn vs Phasma, Rey vs Kylo, that's how shit should be.

I dun get it
>>
>>63816144
Sticking a laser on a planet is functionally retarded because you can't point it where you want to when you want to. Gotta wait until the planet spins in orbit so the laser points in the right direction. USEFUL

Maybe if it was host to some kind of giant missile launcher, cos funny thing about lasers, they tend to go in a straight line.
>>
>>63816139

F
>>
>>63815656
They just needed Finn to have a superior officer and they gave her unique armor so you could tell her apart
>>
>>63816018
Is this confirmed? They seemed to imply she was gonna die
>>
>>63816003
First of all you clearly haven't seen V and second that's not what a star destroyer is
>>
>>63818278
Confirmed by Kathleen Kennedy

http://collider.com/star-wars-episode-viii-captain-phasma/
>>
>>63816911

"These guys are fine, just some crazy cultists with a small space navy, no way do they have the resources to build a second Death Star or anything threatening our Republic fleet"

"Fuck"
>>
>>63815721
Other poster here, I never actually thought of it that way. Maybe it doesnt actually have weight, but the clashing energies repel each other?
>>
surprised the girl didn't get BTFO honestly

i realize ren was wounded and also conflicted making his force powers useless, but still
he's had years of training and also greater physical strength which would still come into play regardless of whether the weapon is weightless
>>
>>63818166
That exact same problem exists on a death star though.

The planet has engines, it probably could move itself into position.
>>
File: theraid21-large[1].jpg (71 KB, 1280x719) Image search: [Google]
theraid21-large[1].jpg
71 KB, 1280x719
>raid guys are nothing but octopus bait
most disappointing part of the movie
could've given them at least one fight scene
>>
File: Untitled-2.jpg (802 KB, 2032x1350) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-2.jpg
802 KB, 2032x1350
I will now forever ship Phasma and super talented Trooper.
>>
>>63816492

Luke is probably Yoda-tier at this point.

Also, I doubt the new Jedi Order had many padawans. Maybe a couple dozen tops.
>>
>>63818333

We don't really know that he's had years of training

Hell, he might have sucked huge dick at being a Jedi pupil under Luke (Han and Leia admit he sucked huge dick at everything else so they shipped him off the military academy) and that's why he got all emo and went over to Snoke. He wanted into the super Force powers fastlane but even Snoke didn't train him much.

A lot of people pointed out that short of him murdering Luke's pupils he only uses that stupid janky lightsaber as an intimidation piece, or to kill unarmed people.
>>
>>63818422
>Phasma
When did they say her name?

Shit I hope someone can provide that damn cam torrent link, I gotta rewatch this with less excitement and catch all the details
>>
>>63818624
finn says it in her only scene where she gets trash'd
>>
>>63814267
>Overall though, the fighting was way better (back to a sword fighting sort of thing) rather than whirling single man army of death in the prequels.
I really liked the fighting in both. (I think the prequels in general don't get enough credit but at the very least the lightsaber fights should be considered really good--all aside from that one obvious moment between anakin and obi-wan)

I love that the prequels show jedi as being
>single man army of death
and I love the fact that everything after the prequels do not. (not counting tv shows/cartoons)

Why? Because it gives a huge distinction between how awesome a true jedi was compared to the people of the modern era who are learning and trying to live up to the legend.

Even Luke Skywalker, at his peak during ROTJ, was a novice compared to legendary jedi of old. Obi-wan Kenobi in his prime would've disarmed Luke in about 10 seconds...

Same goes for Anakin, Yoda, Windu, and all the sith like Sidious, Dooku, and Maul

The same is true of Original Trilogy Darth Vader, who was both a shell of himself, and literally trapped in a shell...

George Lucas said it best when he said (paraphrasing) "we've never seen a true jedi wield a lightsaber, we've seen a kid, an old man, and a half-dead cyborg"

so if you look at it like that, Darth Vader not only lost a lot of his power by being dismembered, but also being so robotic made him slow and clunky (thus the much lesser fighting ability)

and now in the sequels, we'll get more luke'esque people trying to be like jedi/sith but not even remotely close to the real thing.

Not saying that's bad, because I also like the OT/TFA style, but I enjoy knowing that the old school jedi of the prequels would dominate any of these guys.

Instead of just looking at is as a style difference, I think it's wise to see the fighting differences between the OT/TFA and the prequels as a part of the story, cause it sort of is
>>
Can anyone tell me why a stormtrooper lasted more than two fucking seconds against a Sith apprentice in a light saber duel?
>>
>>63815953
Maybe TRAITOR trooper survived that Han shot and ends up becoming the real rival in the end?

Phasma is just Fett 2.0, so her being a waste is fits the character standard.
>>
>>63819195
Because
>Kylo just killed his fucking father and was apparently shaken up by it; he's not in his right mind after that
>Rey is crazy-powerful to a dangerous degree and that's why she was sent to Jakku in secret in the first place
>>
>>63819195
Said Sith was very unstable mentally and physically (shot in torso)
>>
>>63819195
just got shot and was bleeding (which was weird cause i've never seen someone bleed from a laser shot before)

but come on anon....they went out of their way to emphasize that he was hurt.

-They showed the blood on the ground
-They showed him sweating profusely despite the fact it was freezing and there was snow everywhere, it was clearly that "i'm dying" type of sweating

and if that's not enough...

-They literally showed him beat his hand against his body right where the wound was, as if he was trying to shake it off. They did this TWICE.

Twice DURING the battle, I think once before all that right after he got shot.
>>
so hey what was the planet that the death star 3.0 destroy, was it coursant?
>>
I honestly thought the lightsaber fight was shit

not because it wasn't fast paced or anything but because it was so fucking blurry and close up like most shitty fighting scenes from action movies. The saber fighting in VII was worse than anything in the prequels or the ot
>>
>>63815261
>Vader just didn't give a shit much because robot arm.
His shoulder isn't robotic, and he gave a lot of shit because that glancing strike caused him to actually vocalize his pain.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh"
>>
>>63819625
No.

It was the Senate though. In TFA, the new republic moves from planet to planet every so many years.

The Republic didn't want a repeat of the war (and because the First Order was far away, outer rim sort of thing) so they ignored it. However, Leia and others thought this was dumb.

So they formed the resistance. The republic trickled funds/support into that (and would always have their back if the First Order invaded certain areas) but never got directly involved in the fight.
>>
>>63819699
Did you not have your glasses on?
>>
>>63819409
stop discussing with those obtuse retards
>>
>>63819147
I couldn't agree more. The much flashier, much more superhuman version of jedi, let alone lightsaber fighting, shown in the prequels should be considered part of the story

it's proof that these new kids are trying their best but they're not---as you said---the legends of old.
Maybe by VII Luke has gained that ability, but I highly doubt it.
The fact is, the Jedi (and Sith) used to be way more badass back in the day, but a lot of their abilities/methods/secrets were lost in all the destruction
>>
>>63819731
oh i see, but when did they say this or who said this is how they roll now
>>
>>63816484
U mad he's alpha or what?
>>
File: 1440088532033.jpg (18 KB, 255x232) Image search: [Google]
1440088532033.jpg
18 KB, 255x232
>>63815475

>TR-80
>>
>>63815716
>What they plastered his entire face across the entire First Order net?

Yeah, probably. They were actively hunting him, after all.
>>
Dunno if anyone has mentioned this but I knew this movie was going to be better than expected the moment Kylo stopped Poe's blaster shot mid-air. That was fucking dope. I really like it because it was taking existing concepts of force powers and shots of plasma and construing a new cool looking and intimidating situation of it it.
>>
>>63816003
A Star Destroyer is a space pizza, not a space jawbreaker.
>>
>>63815475
He knew he wasn't a Jedi, just a grunt with a lightsword.
>>
>>63819760
Didn't waste my time with the 3d, maybe my theater was just shit. I guess I'll find out when I either pirate it or watch it on dvd
>>
>>63814267
I still think it's retarded that the First Order has melee weapons

There is really no good excuse for them to have these weapons but they do anyway to set up this fight I guess

Lazy as fuck
>>
>>63820469
Action figures f
a
m.
>>
>>63820469
Shooting people gets boring sometimes.

Beating them to death is a nice change of pace.
>>
>>63816139
F
>>
>>63820469
>>63820690
The new trilogy needs bayonets

Vibro bayonets
>>
>>63820746
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL-5uyp44WA
>>
>>63820746
I love the way you think anon.

Needs more shovels also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDvYLJBffNk
>>
>>63820906
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ciq9ts02ci4
>>
File: bowcastor_ammo.jpg (24 KB, 228x177) Image search: [Google]
bowcastor_ammo.jpg
24 KB, 228x177
>>63815267
>>63816629
This guy's right. Bowcasters are super fucking powerful. No idea if it's still canon or not. But bowcasters are basically railguns that surround the projectile in a blaster bolt. So you're not just getting hit with an blaster bolt, you're also taking a crossbow bolt right into that open wound that just got blown out of you.

On a non-/tv/ note, the bowcaster in Republic Commando was the most satisfying ever. Imagine pinning a trandoshan to a wall with an electrified version of the HL2 crossbow.
>>
As cool as this guy was, I can't help but think it should have been Phasma. Explains the enhanced training and actually gives her something badass to do. A 6'3 captain wailing on an awol unit.
>>
>>63815476
IIRC blasters aren't plasma based. They're particle weapons. And the bolts are visible because of the tibanna gas used to help accelerate the particle. That's why blaster bolts explode when they hit a target. Instead of 'splashing' the target and burning them like a plasma weapon would. Not to say there aren't plasma weapons within the star wars universe though.
>>
>>63816139
F
>>
File: adobe one.jpg (141 KB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
adobe one.jpg
141 KB, 720x404
>>63816124
Your eyes can deceive you, don't trust them
>>
File: 1448936082266.png (221 KB, 599x256) Image search: [Google]
1448936082266.png
221 KB, 599x256
>>63815276
that traitor seemed like such a hayden christensan line jesus christ
>>
>>63817061
TFW Taris is still canon.
>>
>>63815127
Ren and Finn have more lightsaber related scars on them than all the characters in the previous six films combined.
That was some Rob Roy type shit. Only not as well choreographed.
>>
>>63815127
Are you dumb man? Its part of stormtrooper training to not die in one or two hits from a lightsaber. Have you never played any Star wars games? You need fuckin 3 hits on endgame to kill those fuckers.
>>
>>63816355
Because he wants to be as cool as his grandpa. Thats the reason.
>>
>>63815475
>TR-80
top kek
>>
>>63817061
>sash of sgreement

I mean what?
>>
>>63814267
That Stormtrooper vs Finn fight was so good. It really added weight to the whole lightsaber fights.
>>
What I liked most about Kylo vs Rey was that her fighting style was fucking awesome. She's not a 6ft tall strong male, so she doesn't swing in heavy wide arcs like in the OT. Neither does she flip it round like a fucker like in the prequels.

She STABS. Her fighting style is more like brutal, untrained fencing, with a few slashes here and there, mixed with heavy stabs. We've never seen a character stabbing around with a lightsaber, and it was sweet.
>>
>>63817529
>The Force Awakens

>not bringing the franchise up and running again

fuck oof you dumb cunt
>>
The lightsaber stuff was handled really well. No flippy prequel shit, but not quite as slow as the originals either. Good.
>>
>>63815127
Yeah there were some minor nicks like other anons said but I can't fathom Kylo and Finn actually surviving the hits they took. Remember that a lightsaber is pure energy and can cut through anything.
>>
>>63814267
>A light saber has no weight (save the hilt), and the balance is literally all in the hilt.
Is this true? Because it doesn't seem to be.

In the original trilogy, Lucas told the actors to pretend as though the lightsabers were heavy when they were turned on. You can see it in how Luke and Vader both hold their lightsabers.
>>
the light saber fights and blasters were very obese
>>
>>63814267
>A light saber has no weight

Filthy casual detected.
>>
>>63819409
He had armor on so it wasn't so damaging as you note he caught up to rey and finn immediately
>>
>>63824821
That's how Sheev fought in III though
>>
REN and REY are both dark side. the next movie will tell how luke was trying to balance both sides of the force.
>>
>>63825386
EU isn't canon anymore bro
>>
>>63824992
>can cut through anything.
Cortosis Weave. Fuck off, secondary.
>>
File: citizen_cane.gif (287 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
citizen_cane.gif
287 KB, 480x360
>>63815168
>mfw Ren Freezes Poe's Laser
>mfw "TRAITOR" fight
>mfw Chewbacca went ape-shit
>>
>>63814267
a glib facsimile
>>
>>63815276
>Rey just closing her eyes and focusing to find the force "within her"

That isn't how I saw that scene at all. You're projecting too much into it.
>>
>>63817529
>he hates Finn's "LOL I dunno"
>>
File: 1450471909737.gif (1006 KB, 500x233) Image search: [Google]
1450471909737.gif
1006 KB, 500x233
I haven't bought SW merch since I was a kid and had stuff like the Micromachines X-Wings and shit like that.

Just ordered the fuck out of TRAITOR's action figure.
>>
File: 1431662047798.png (1 MB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1431662047798.png
1 MB, 1000x1000
>>63818421
They had a fight scene though.
It was all of them vs the octopus.
They lost very quickly.
>>
>>63825680
BASED
>>
>>63825680

inb4 they give TR-80 the Darth Maul treatment in the new trilogy cartoon.
>>
>>63819953
They never said it in the movie
>>
>>63815475
>at one point you would have died for this bastard

I never got this from troopers. They always seemed to know they were on the rule of ninja.
>>
>>63815716
I actually felt like The First Order's great disdain added a LOT to his character.
>>
>>63825916
>TR-80
>not TR-8R

They can retcon the numbering system for him.
>>
>>63817008
>this movie actually NEEDED the politics scenes from the prequels to make any sense.
Stop that.
>>
>>63816752
I love you.
>>
>>63816789
Harrison Ford has that slanty face too, I never noticed it before this movie.
>>
>>63814267
That stormtrooper had probably been carrying around that shock stick with him for years. He probably went to bed every night hoping to meet a real Jedi so he can finally use it. When he saw the lightsaber it was probably the most excited he had ever been in his life. Not only does he get to kill a traitor, but a traitor with a lightsaber.
>>
File: 1447675538619.jpg (94 KB, 792x558) Image search: [Google]
1447675538619.jpg
94 KB, 792x558
>>63814267
fights were good EXCEPT kylo vs rey which was the most important one....I mean le ground opening up beneath to separate them meme, are you fucking serious? fucking anime shit
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 34

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.