[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>space opera epic produced by Disney >actually displays
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: gif-dejah-thoris.gif (654 KB, 500x200) Image search: [Google]
gif-dejah-thoris.gif
654 KB, 500x200
>space opera epic produced by Disney
>actually displays fresh ideas and creativity, while paying direct homage to the genre's roots and traditions without compromising originality
>actually directed by a talented filmmaker with genuine visual flair and beloved modern classics to his name
>actually features a charming cast
>complete box office bomb, no sequels despite exciting narrative arcs begging to be explored
BARSOOM
>>
>>63809595
no advertising
no frazetta inspired environments
no nudity
everyone knows what mars is like, should have made it somewhere else
>>
>Only 51% on Rottentomatoes
>>
is that shit actually worth watching.
>>
Isn't the source material much more violent and sexual?
>>
>>63810034
yep, disney fucked itself even buying the rights
>>
>>63810034
>>63810161
The arena fight is still gory as fuck, they just found a way to make the blood and guts look cute
>>
GOR is a better alternative
>>
>>63809595
By all accounts the guy who made this movie was a huge fan of the original Burroughs books, but for some reason the movie doesn't look or feel like the world described by Burroughs. Instead it looks like a few weird CGI aliens and two CGI cities in the Arizona desert. The books had this melancholy atmosphere where you were constantly surrounded by reminders that Barsoom was a dying world and the landscape was littered with awe inspiring ruins of mighty civilizations. The world described in the books also felt truly alien, from the vegetation to the architecture to the wildlife, but the movie as I said just felt like the Arizona desert with a few CGI stuff photoshopped in.

The green martians were depicted somewhat faithfully but the books put heavy emphasis on how cold and harsh their culture was, how the only thing that brought them joy was watching or partaking in violence. The movie does show all these things but due to how fast the scenes fly by it doesn't have the same resonance as in the books. The books really generated conflicting emotions in the reader about these people who were so admirable in some ways and so inhumanly vile in other ways. In the movie they're just kind of there and you never give a shit about them.

As for why it failed, I've seen lots of theories. Some say Disney had some backroom power jockeying going on and this movie was set up to fail deliberately in order to discredit the people attached to the project. I've seen others claim that the director treated it like his special pet project and was so passionate about it that he did things like showing test screenings to audiences of friends and family instead of the usual unbiased test audience that could actually give accurate feedback. By the time Disney forced him to show it to real test audiences, it was too late to make any changes and Disney decided not to waste any more money advertising for it and just write the whole thing off.
>>
Watch this instead

https://youtu.be/HW1CZQJACE0?t=1992
>>
File: EyesYes.jpg (13 KB, 267x200) Image search: [Google]
EyesYes.jpg
13 KB, 267x200
>>63810473
Whole fucking movie?

Aw sheeit thank you anon, I know what I'm doing tonight.

Niggers name is Urbano Barberini, top kek it's already awesome.
>>
>>63810632
Plenty of tits and cheesy 80's action
>>
I've been reading a book about this movie. The author basically says the marketing was the problem.

And it was but the major problem as I see it was the casting. You've got a female lead who's too fucking old and looks like a VS supermodel or something. You want someone a bit softer for Dejah Thoris like Adelaide Kane or Hailee Steinfeld. Same with Taylor Kitsch, he's good in some roles but he cannot be the male lead for a blockbuster tentpole.
>>
>>63810371

That is a very passionate and corret answer anon. In my opinion the flick is just so fucking boring.
>>
I remembered enjoying this movie.
Then I found out it was a bomb office bomb and literally only had WHY as my response for that.

The only thing that I specifically disliked about it was the ending TWIIIST where the main was just using his nephew all along to come back or whatever.
But that's disliking the character's ation and not the movie and its plot, which was pretty decent and enjoyable.
>>
>>63810723
>In my opinion the flick is just so fucking boring.
What's your idea of a good blockbuster?
>>
>>63809595
>actually displays fresh ideas and creativity
lol wut? What was fresh? Scientist Princess Jasmine being forced into a marriage she doesn't want? Green Neytriri? Mark Strong yet again being typecast as a villain who wants world domination? The scene where John was sentenced to execution in a literal colosseum like in Attack of the Clones? The climatic scene where the hero has to stop the wedding like in The Graduate?
>>
>>63809595
Part of getting this movie greenlit was convincing Disney plenty of people knew about Burroughs and how this series helped inspire Star Wars. Somehow disney bought into this and thought the tickets would sell themselves, titled it "John Carter" and advertised it (lightly) like a western with cartoon creatures.
>>
>>63809595
Execs killed publicity and sank John Carter when they were on the verge of buying Star Wars.
>>
Goddamn she was so hot
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.