[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 9
File: TFAPrequels.png (1 MB, 1702x419) Image search: [Google]
TFAPrequels.png
1 MB, 1702x419
What went wrong?
>>
Safely manufactured, sterile, soulles product aimed at the lowest common denominator.
>>
>>63806572
Kylo Ren is too ugly.
>>
>>63806572
except you're wrong. The force awakens was a great film
>>
>>63806621
>prequels
>soul

tip top lel
>>
It felt like it was made by a committee and not people that actually care for star wars
>>
>>63806669
what went wrong though?
>>
>>63806572
A fuck ton better than the prequels
>>
>>63806669
Nah, it wasn't great.
The prequels are underrated in that they are regarded as terrible because they didn't live up to the OT.
TFA is overrated because everyone is so fucking relieved that it's better than the prequels.

I'd say
ANH/TESB 8/10
RotJ 7/10
TFA 6/10
RotS 5/10
TPM 4/10
AotC 3/10
>>
>>63806779
>TFA is overrated because everyone is so fucking relieved that it's better than the prequels.
perfectly said.
>>
>>63806572
Plot was fucking stupid:

- What they were looking for was stupid. Much better explained that Luke was masking his presence using the force, and that it took another light aligned force user to locate him. Meshed better with plot. This would have lined up better with the focus on Rey gaining the abilities of the force.

- Everyone got along way too fucking well. "Hey! I just met you, and I know you were a storm trooper that helped massacre innocent people, but yeah... rescue me! BRO! No hard feelings bruh!" I blame Disney for this. Fuck the only believable bullshit was that feminist shit they put on Rey who kept getting upset over fucking hand holding. Honestly this was the main display of believable shit I saw in the movie, which I actually remembered as being believable.

- Han and Leia were written like shit. Leia became a weak unbelievable pussy that should have been angry/harsh with Han. Han should've been more a wise ass. Clearly they had in mind Han was going to die, and didn't want a repeat of Episode 5 where Han (believably) told Leia I know, instead of I love you. Instead of keeping true to the character where they most likely would be shitty with each other before Han died, but instead they made it that they were all nice PC friendly. Disney didn't want to create some regret/bad feels... Writers literally fucked up all over the movie. Fuck Disney.

- Forcing way to hard the Ray/Finn romance that will inevitably happen in an awkward forbidden love way (only to probably end because muh jedi and muh force and muh strong independent woman).

-Finn was fucking useless as a character. He basically ended up being good at nothing. I know what these idiots tried doing, and they fucked up. They clearly misdirected everyone to thinking that Rey would likely be the Han solo type character with Finn being the Luke, but instead Rey is fucking everything, and Finn is useless as fuck...
>>
File: 1448916935591.jpg (55 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1448916935591.jpg
55 KB, 600x600
>>63806572
>>
Advantages of Episode 7:
>Better acting
>Better look

Advantages of the Prequels
>Actually original stories, not just episode 4 remake
>More attractive/charismatic main cast, shit acting/dialogue aside
>FAR better world building
>Better battles
>>
>>63807648
>this t b h

I actually missed the political drivel from the prequels because at least it was somewhat coherent.
>>
>>63807648
>>Better acting
>>Better look
LOL
>>
>>63806572
Disney, Kennedy and JJ Abrams.
Also no George Lucas
>>
>>63806572
Ren's saber looks like a penis lol
>>
>>63807459
cont.

Finn should have been the one to shoot Kylo Ren. Finn should have proceeded to massacre storm troopers with Han Solo's pistol (that Han fucking gave him, after shitting on him the whole fucking movie). This would then have fucking tied in to Rey not accepting the job (and thereby the clumsy, lying, fucking "smuggleresque" Finn would have gotten it).

- Kylo Ren was actually executed well. They should have made him more deviant/sadistic, but honestly Adam Driver did a good job. The problem was his anger/sadist tendencies were only shown through outbursts, as opposed to dialogue.

- Making Kylo and that commander at odds with each other was fucking stupid. They should have A) Gotten an older actor B) Picked someone that could pull off an evil character, and not that ginger guy from fucking love flicks. The commander was a miscast. It would have made much more sense that the commander was tutoring Kylo in being a fucking general, instead of being in one upmanship contests. Do you really think Snope would put those two together when they fucking can't work together? Stupid. As. Fuck.

- Light saber fight at end predictably sucked. Fix to this? Fucking Kylo Ren killed his father. He should have dramatically improved with his connections to the dark side (I.E. angrier/powerful attacks/combinations). Rey during the fight predictably gets her ass kicked until she gets intune with the force. She should then have proceeded to became faster/more agile. That's it. That literally should have been the fight. Instead Kylo Ren fights like a faggot, and she gets lucky that he sucks big dicks and is a weak pussy.

- The ending fight was stupid. Should have been a mix of a larger scale ground assault/more air combat variety. More fighters/numbers. This is the one thing George Lucas did well: fight scenes.
>>
File: 1418509075122.gif (2 MB, 240x220) Image search: [Google]
1418509075122.gif
2 MB, 240x220
>>63806572
Nothing went wrong. People take Star Wars way too seriously. Outside of Jar Jar and YIPPEE!!, the prequels tried way too hard to be some deep epic drama. VII returned Star Wars to what people loved about the OT - a simple good vs. evil story in space with fun characters and crazy effects.

If you genuinely prefer the prequels over TFA, you're completely lost on what made the original Star Wars so special in the first place.
>>
>>63806621
>Safely manufactured, sterile, soulles product aimed at the lowest common denominator

Prequels: The Post.
>>
>>63807819
t. the guy that became a fan of star wars after it was cool thanks to the big bang theory
>>
File: 1449104357663.jpg (52 KB, 306x480) Image search: [Google]
1449104357663.jpg
52 KB, 306x480
>>63806779
that's a good list
>>
I really liked it. I enjoyed the fuck out of Kylo Ren. I loved Rey hell I even liked the nigger. Like the only thing that disappointed me was Captain Phasma got punched in the head by a wookie and just did whatever she was told.
>>
File: george.jpg (63 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
george.jpg
63 KB, 620x387
Episode 7 is wholly memetic in nature. Either JJ is not creative enough to introduce distinctive differences in plot elements or he is so subservient to corporate that he didn't even think to.

Despite most of the reviews applauding the acting, Daisy feels stiff, her best scenes are where she's silent. Boyega is fine though JJ avoided taking a slow path to development for him due to the breakneck pace JJ directs at. Ren is annoying but this is the beginning of his development arc, Driver plays the part of an autistic millennial dark jedi well. Other characters are superfluous, returning from the old movies or only appear momentarily.

I want to return to the pacing though. Boyega is a former stormtrooper with a designation rather than a name, indoctrinated from childhood. He lived his entire life up to this point as a slave soldier in a highly disciplined fighting force. He freaks out and breaks his conditioning at the first scent of violence. Then a few scenes later he is making jokes and killing stormtroopers without remorse.

JJ conceals clear holes in his plot like this by moving things along so swiftly that the audience has no time to reflect on the details while in the theater. This movie is pure amusement, and that is not a compliment. Look at the definition of amusement, a-muse, without muse, without inspiration. That is exactly what this movie is. But more dangerously, it's also designed to be relentlessly amusing, removing any sort of critical thought component that the viewer might have had to exert. This is the kind of film that everyone loves on day one, and nobody remembers anything about aside from the name a few years down the road.

Though the prequels were crimes against cinema for a plethora of other reasons, there was a spark of inspiration beneath them, Lucas was a visionary, though his visions were often addled by an obsession with CGI wankery and his lifelong struggle with autism.
>>
>>63807648
>Better acting

Did we see the same DEFINITELY NOT HITLER speech? That was hammier than any Padme/Anakin scene.
>>
>>63807708

Concluding anger/disappointment:

The movie wasn't bad. It wasn't great either. It was lukewarm. Disney didn't want to piss off/fuck over the fan base. This is what we get. A safe movie that took no chances, and offer simplistic plot lines that small children could follow, but lacked substance that adults enjoy.

This movie lost the Star Wars "feel," which was an established formula that The Force Awakens failed at copying miserably.

In the great scheme of things (resources, people, producers, etc.) this is fairly disheartening. This movie was a major disappointment from this perspective. Hopefully them being afraid to fuck things up was the real reason, and not that they plan to release a bunch of sterile fucking Star Wars movie that fail to inspire the audience (but look pretty and make you feel good).

Movie was 6/10.
>>
>>63806641
Black robe, long black hair, very original villain material.
>>
>>63808222
I bet you think Empire is a work of art.

These are space adventure movies. Stop taking them so damn seriously. That's what the prequels did wrong.
>>
>>63808315
>A safe movie that took no chances

It unceremoniously killed off the most beloved good guy of the whole franchise.
>>
>>63807648
i honestly hope there's more world building in viii and ix, one of the best parts of the prequels was seeing all the new planets
>>
>>63808398
harrison ford always wanted han to die though, plus it's not like he was gonna come back for any more movies
>>
>>63807648
Episode I is an Episode IV remake too.
>>
>>63808398
It unceremoniously killed off the actor that famously made it known he wanted to be killed off in the previous movie and didn't want to be involved with the franchise anymore and it did so in a manner that was so telegraphed in trope-ridden stereotypical screen-writing that Ray Charles could have seen it coming.
>>
>>63808363
>lol stop being such a nerd, these movies are intentionally brainless

Nice excuses JJ, you fucking hack.
>>
>>63808398

>Implying one event makes a whole movie
Poorly executed event as well. Dialogue was unbelievable. Conversation was unusually sterile, even if Kylo had turned to dark side (it was stated by him that he was torn between both sides). It was a fairly calculating move to kill him, as opposed to him snapping and killing Han. The Han that we know would have been a hard smart-ass, and then had the father-son moment at end.

This movie was mediocre where it could have been spectacular.
>>
>>63808518
All he cares about anymore is a paycheck. He'd do 6 more Star Wars movies if the price was right.

>>63808539
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
>>
Pros:

>Han solo and Chewie
>The few shots of Poe
>Opening sequence
>BB-8 had the OG droid feel to it, they did well
>X-wing, MF, and Tie fighter sequences sounded and looked good
>Cinematography looked nice, except for "those" scenes
>Overall ark of the movie was consistent
>Some of the humor
Cons:

>Story was pushed in at times
>Starkiller basically being the new deathstar plot, AGAIN
>Poe, who I was excited to see, and made the first 15 minutes of movie not look so mediocre, goes away the whole fucking movie after the escape and suddenly reunites with the cast that is never really explained
>Relationships in the movie seem expedited, Poe and Finn acting like they've known each other for years, Finn and Rey being like old friends despite them not knowing anyone or each other until the movie
>Kylo Ren who looks like a badass in first scene when you see him stop a blaster with the force, turns into a weak feeling teenager at almost every turn after that instead of being the stoic dark side user, looks like a bi polar emotional whiner
>A lot of the gains in ROTJ seemed like they just got thrown out by the movie just to force the plot, the new galactic Senate blowing up by starkiller base, Han being away from Leia forever, Luke becoming some sad shut in because of Kylo
>The complete mary sue Rey, who some how can do mind tricks successfully, beat up everyone, can go 1v1 with Ren, and best him to him being on the verge of death with her even taking any big hits was a joke and made the force look like something that almost any force sensitive user can master, taking away from the art of it star wars has made it feel out to be
>Almost no fucking Luke despite him being mentioned the whole time, not even a line of dialogue. Really wanted to see maybe at least 5 minutes of him
>That fucking helicopter scene of Luke and Rey at the end, looked atrocious and almost go pro quality. Actually, a few bad TV quality scenes throughout the movie that seemed off
>>
>>63807648
This. This times a thousand
Episode 7 is the definition of pre-processed corporate crap designed to be as safe as possible and taking no risks.
>>
File: 1406434597466.gif (1 MB, 292x278) Image search: [Google]
1406434597466.gif
1 MB, 292x278
>>63808573
Prequel apologist detected

>>63808618
They killed Han Solo. If you were an actual Star Wars fan, you'd immediately grasp how ballsy it is.
>>
File: 1449342993292.jpg (3 MB, 3264x4928) Image search: [Google]
1449342993292.jpg
3 MB, 3264x4928
>>63808758
Is this you, captain "real star wars fan"?
>>
>>63808758

Okay, let me redirect a bit. Yes, it was ballsy to kill him off. My point is the way they killed him off was fucking lame and unbelievable. His character was written like shit, etc. etc.

After seeing the movie it was pretty clear that this was it. The movie was basically written around Han Solo dying. That's it.

Also please refrain from a "true fan" argument seeing as they canonized shit seven year olds can follow. Faggot.
>>
>>63808819
I've never expected Shakespeare out of a Star Wars movie, so probably not.

I still love the OT and recognize it as iconic, which is why I think killing off everyone's favorite good guy took balls. This is virtually the same as the 80s Transformers movie killing off Optimus Prime. It's not high art, but it's a character everyone who followed the series loves.
>>
>>63808912
>it was ballsy to kill him off.
No it wasn't
Ford wanted to be killed off in episode 5. The fuckboy you're replying to has no idea whats hes talking about
>>
>>63808912
>Okay, let me redirect a bit. Yes, it was ballsy to kill him off. My point is the way they killed him off was fucking lame and unbelievable. His character was written like shit, etc. etc.

Han in this movie is more like he was in IV and V, not the pussified version he was in VI. Ford phoned it in as he's been doing with every character he's played since the early 2000s, but the character was still there. How was his death lame? He got killed trying to get his son back after patching things up with Leia as best he could as a no-win sudden last resort. He got stabbed with a lightsaber and fell to his death. As far as iconic characters go, there have been worse ways to bite it.

>After seeing the movie it was pretty clear that this was it. The movie was basically written around Han Solo dying. That's it.

The whole movie was centered around finding Luke.

>Also please refrain from a "true fan" argument seeing as they canonized shit seven year olds can follow. Faggot.

True fans recognize Star Wars as the immature escapist bullshit it is. People who take it too seriously are the cancer that killed cinema. They are the reason Marvel movies have thrived.
>>
>>63808951
Harrison Ford would lick your balls if the price was right. He's one of the most charismatic actors of all time, but it's never been about anything but the money for him.
>>
>>63806572
Everything, complete garbage
>>
>>63806572
You need to make the story very simple so it translates into Chinese well
>>
>>63806572

The edgy autistic contrarians who post on this site can't shitpost enough :^)
>>
>>63806669
Hello reddit!
>>
>>63806572
Didn't rhyme
>>
>>63811274
Why is Kylo such a faggot?
>>
>>63806572
Your birth.
>>
File: image_27.jpg (118 KB, 680x453) Image search: [Google]
image_27.jpg
118 KB, 680x453
> TFA worse than Phantom Menace
Kek, no. TFA is at least twice as good as RotS, which is the best of the prequel trilogy.
>>
File: a_sad_batman.gif (477 KB, 294x219) Image search: [Google]
a_sad_batman.gif
477 KB, 294x219
>>63811274
> Han caresses his son's face before his death
> Chewie'a reaction to Han's death
>>
>>63811982
Except that's wrong, AOTC was the best of the prequels.
>>
>>63808519

>this insanely retarded statement
>>
>>63807847
i'm watching the prequels right now after watching the OT yesterday for the first time. i'm just about the start e3. i don't see what's wrong with it...it's got the same feel as the OT just more cgi. i'm enjoying it.

i think it's pretty obvious that most of the hate comes from rose tinted glasses and a hate for any change when you've loved something for a long time.

watching for the first time btw
>>
>>63812364
Yes.
>>
Prequels:
>new factions
>new planets
>new vehicles and weapons

Ep 7:
>Every thing from the OT except with different names
>>
>>63807813
Kylo got shot with a bowcaster the movie mentioned several times, the script gave him an excuse and he mentioned it again by stabbing it before the fight.
>>
>>63809241
Episode 7 is also nothing else but for the money
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.