[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who was she and why was she in the movie?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 8
File: Maz_Kanata.png (547 KB, 500x684) Image search: [Google]
Maz_Kanata.png
547 KB, 500x684
Who was she and why was she in the movie?
>>
>>63801910

She's inverted Yoda and an excuse for a cantina scene.
>>
Character development.
>>
>>63801910
Chewbacca's girlfriend.
>>
She's like Yoda but even older and wiser.
>>
You know how Yoda is 900 years old, well she's 1000

Beat that Lucas
>>
The magic shitty CG know-it-all oracle character, duh.
>>
>>63802227
>>63802286
Yeah but why was everyone acting like she was an old friend

literally no development desu
very odd choice to deliver the moral pep talk
>>
>>63802286
this

she gives rey the idea of being jedi and hand's finnthe lightstaber

you even watching??

is this /tv/'s scattergun approach to criticism again
>>
File: 1441561248578.jpg (28 KB, 324x291) Image search: [Google]
1441561248578.jpg
28 KB, 324x291
>>63802343
>>
She's an old being with understanding of the force. She's used as a plot device to lead Rey towards her destiny.
>>
Literally dexter jettster done right
>>
>>63801910
she's a strong and independent female yoda
>>
I hate that they didn't put Lupita in a space outfit and instead had her voice this ugly, shitty cgi-alien. Also the CGI face on the ration-distributing alien on Jakku sucked. That should've just been makeup/suit.
>>
>>63802352
Yeah but why her?
No one knows who she is. She's just a random stranger, both in the film and to the audience.
>>
>>63802389
It was you fucking idiot
>>
>>63802389
it was you mongrel
check these balls you call eyes
>>
>>63802455
>>63802426

Really? The face looked like shitty CGI. Weird, I'll have to see it again.
>>
>>63802415
why not her
so they invented a new character
are they not allowed to do that

of all the things to question in this flick and you choose this
clutching at straws in an attempt to fit in with the top memers who are asking the real questions.

You are awful
get better
>>
Don't know why they thought a CGI carrot was a good idea I'm pretty sure an animatronic carrot would have looked better
>>
Why was a ninja turtle in the movie?
>>
she's a female Sheev, they reveal her to be an old Sith in the sequel
>>
>>63801910
Force sensitive non-jedi sage who is basically Yoda's replacement.
>>
>>63801910
Why do all the new aliens look like burn victims.
I miss the funky George Lucas aliens.
>>
>>63802521
>so they invented a new character
I have no complaints about the 90% of this film's cast that was new.
Just this one weird character.
I know it's really hard for you to deal with the cognitive dissonance that comes from realizing your favorite normie franchise has flaws, so I'm going easy on you.
>>
File: image_2-1.jpg (16 KB, 111x187) Image search: [Google]
image_2-1.jpg
16 KB, 111x187
>This was Luke Skywalker's lightsaber and his father's before him.
>It's calling to you.
>It's your very important destiny to own this lightsaber
>it is your birthright my child

Rey fucks off

>umm here finn take this I guess? Bye
>>
This movie really feels as it was intended to be 3 hours long and all the scenes of dialogue and character developpement got cut out
>>
File: prequels.jpg (613 KB, 1488x1265) Image search: [Google]
prequels.jpg
613 KB, 1488x1265
Obi Wan should've been the main protagonist in the prequels.

Prove me wrong.
>>
>>63802415

God I wish TV had been around when Empire came out. "WHO IS THIS LANDO GUY? SJW AGENDA FORCING A BLACK GUY IN THERE AND OF COURSE HE'S HANS' FRIEND FUCKING STUPID."
>>
>>63803699
He was though.
>>
Obviously she lived in a dumpster under Cloud City. How else did she come by Annie's Lazer sword
>>
>>63802499
Don't worry anon, I thought it was CG too.
>>
>>63803699
Ugh
>>
>>63802389
I agree with you.

CGI's characters in this movie were very disappointing desu. All were blurry and fake.

Snoke should've been just a masked/hooded figure, until they needed to show his real self.

Lupita could've been human, and connected because a relative was Luke's apprentice or something, thus explaining her connection and why she cared to keep Anakin/Luke's lightsaber.
>>
She was the weakest in the film tbqh. hans comment about her made no sense. She was sweet, friendly, wise, helpful and totally uninteresting.
>>
>>63803547
It felt like two different movies spliced together. As soon as they enter the cantina everything turns into a jumbled mess and they start throwing like ten different ideas at us in the span of half an hour.
>>
>>63803876
I change my
Mind. Snoke was equally shitty.
>>
Hello plinkett.

but yes you're correct >>63803699
>>
>>63801910
they keep zooming on her face the entire time

whatever happened to her anyway?
>>
She was not-today. JJ just made a copy of the originals with

Rey was not like. Finn as not Han. Or was not Leia. Nux was not Tarkin. Kylo was not vader. Snoke was not emperor. Phasma was not boba fett. Hans smuggler guy was not greedo. There were not jawas on not tattoo e and the not rebels on not yavin
>>
MMMMMMMM HAN SOLO

BBC MEETS YOUNG WHITE GIRL

I LOVE BRINGING PEOPLE TOGETHER
>>
>>63802305
This movie is really pushing the interracial love theme with Chewbacca and Maz, and with Finn and Rey.
>>
>>63802343
JJ is the master of this. You now how the death star was the size of the moon and blew up a planet? Well star killer is the size of a planet and blows up multiple planets! Take that, Lucas
>>
>>63801910
I'd fuck her, tbqh.
>>
>>63804175
>forgetting the love story between a robot ball and a human male

what, are you robosexphobic?
>>
>>63801910
>1000 years old
>older than yoda

This seemed kind of odd, I always liked to think Yoda was one of the oldest living sentient things in the galaxy and that his past was eternally shrouded in mystery. Then you get a character who's like 100 years older than him. I guess it's not that big of a deal as Snoke seems to have a real ancient feel to him. But it kind of diminishes that mystery if there are others who are still alive from the time when he was born.
>>
Face looked like someone just puked up carrots.

Disgusting puke face.
>>
>>63802351
>Yeah but why was everyone acting like she was an old friend

Because she was a good friend.
>>
what happened to her in the movie??

i cant remember
>>
>>63804633
It's likely exaggeration.

>She's run this watering hole for a thousand years /s
>>
when is hollywood going to retire the magical negro trope? hiding it behind a cg veneer doesn't make it any less offensive.
>>
Niggers do not belong in Star Wars
>>
File: smug.jpg (26 KB, 495x495) Image search: [Google]
smug.jpg
26 KB, 495x495
>WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T STARE AT HER
>stare at her what?
>HER EVERYTHING!!1

she didn't even look that ugly what the fuck? i was expecting some java the hutt type shit
>>
>>63801910
She was Mrs. Talkin' Tangerine
>>
>>63803854
>Snoke should've been just a masked/hooded figure, until they needed to show his real self.

Even if he was entirely CGI, when he was in shadow at the beginning, keep him like that. Just some huge shadowy figure. I mean, there's not a lot you can do now with Star Wars bad guys. It's either a disfigured face or a mask.
>>
>>63801910
the supposed spoiler I saw a few anons post about her being a Jawa without the hood was false right?
>>
>>63805013
Probably but I'd be happy with that.

I think the EU says Jawas are rodents. But they're also sacred cows so we can never ever see what they actually look like.
>>
>>63804918
He didn't say 'her'. As in don't stare at anything in the cantina as there are people who has the death sentence in 12 systems there.

In any case, as people say she was some sort of non-force Yoda type that points Rey towards her destiny. The whole sequence is pretty terrible, largely because she might be the worst character in the whole film. Nothing works.
>>
>>63803547
New Republic senate and home worlds? Nah we don't need to explain that, we just blow them up anyway :^)
>>
>>63805305
I remember reading something about how the actress couldn't do her job and fucked up all the time so they had to cut down her part in the movie a lot.
>>
>>63804077
what the hell am I readihg
>>
That is a tale for another time
>>
File: 31276730_c150x200+75+0_150x200.jpg (18 KB, 150x200) Image search: [Google]
31276730_c150x200+75+0_150x200.jpg
18 KB, 150x200
JJ Abrams saw this woman doling out magical advice when he was a kid.

Zelda Rubenstein. It's literally the same fucking character.
>>
>>63806629
Let me elaborate. She was the creepy little lady who played the same basic character in a bunch of creepy and / or magical type of shows and movies. She'd pop in, dispense some creepy advice, and pop back out again. Well she daid, so JJ decided to resurrect her.
>>
>>63802368
that was horrible, i hate when they throw new characters that everybody knew except the public, they could have picked one from E.U.
>>
>>63803878
>It felt like two different movies spliced together.
This desu familia, i thought the first half was top notch.
>>
>>63804077
Please try to type that again

Aldo check these
>>
>>63804077
i deciphered the code

>She was not Yoda. JJ just made a copy of the originals with:

Rey was not Luke. Finn was not Han. Or as not Leia. Nux was not Tarkin. Kylo was not Vader. Snoke was not Emperor. Phasma was not Boba Fett. Han's smuggler guy was not Greedo. There were no Jawas on not Tatooine, and not rebels on not Yavin.
>>
>>63801910
Why was this movie such a circle jerk. Most of the good guys hated each other for a least a few scenes in the OT. Even Yoda gave Luke the cold shoulder after not taking him seriously in the first place. Maz Kanata just shows up and is another perfect peter with plot devices spilling out of her pockets
>>
>>63803704
Exactly, fuck this stupid ass board.
>>
QUOTAS
U
O
T
A
S
>>
>>63806907
First half was great because the characters were all really entertaining and interesting. Then as soon as they meet up with Han Solo everything starts moving too fast.

Movie had potential to out-do New Hope if nothing from New Hope was even present in it. BB-8 was a better mascot robot than R2-D2 ever was and as soon as Han shows up it's like he stops existing so Chewbacca can have more screentime.

Chewbacca was pretty great though
>>
She had a bigger role but her actress was shit and couldnt convey the emotions properly so they cut her parts way back
>>
>>63801910
She looked like fucking antz
>>
>>63808075

THIS

Movie falls apart once Han shows up. Every action scene is sped up to get to the end.
>>
>>63807858
>>63803704
>>63804737
Are you guys being obtuse on purpose?
She was entirely underdeveloped and tonally inconsistent. It makes no sense for her to be giving out the advice, since she's entirely a stranger to both the audience and Rey.

Lando wasn't used remotely similarly to how Maz was.
>>
>>63808451
This desu.
But final scene with Luke is pretty good. Liked the air of mysticism they were building.
>>
>>63802415
she's not just a random stranger, she's like 1000 years old so she's probably met tons of important figures in the galaxy.

i like how most of the "this didn't make sense" comments about VII completely ignore the fact that there are two more upcoming movies that allow for more exposition
>>
>>63801910
She is a friend of Han Solo. Solo, Chewie, Rey, and Finn escape from Jakku. Han says "I know a person who will get you home." And we go to a planet where she owns a bar. She's basically a bar owner. She's also very wise apparently and knows the force and is in the possession of Luke Skywalker's lightsabre. None of this is explained. Her bar gets attacked and she never shows up in the movie again
>>
The movie should have just been two hours of Finn and Poe trying to get the the republic base. They were so much more interesting than Reyvan Skywalker, master of the Force.
>>
>>63808605
They blew their load too early with Kylo. At his core he's actually quite original and interesting but the writers expect us to care about his relationship with Han without ever actually getting to see them interact. There was probably potential for a bunch of great scenes between him and Han but to the audience - the beginning and end of their relationship happens in the same scene that probably lasted less than five minutes.
>>
>>63808400
they didn't cut them enough
>>
>>63808587
why even go to her if bb-8 knew where the resistance was?
>>
>>63808547

But all they had to do was say a couple of lines

>"She knew Jedi years ago. Just didn't want to be one. When Luke killed the Emperor she gave him some artifacts she collected. That's when I met her."

See how easy that was?
>>
>>63808784
To get BB-8 to a new ship since the order knew he was on the Falcon and would be easy to find.
>>
>>63808788
but then they won't get to tell that story in a comic book, novel, video game, toilet paper roll etc
>>
>>63808834
not if the falcon just hypedrived it to the resistance base, they got found because they did a pit stop
>>
>>63805505
That was from the sun, faggot.
Her scenes weren't cut, it was the jakku/poe and Finn before their escape/most of max von syndow's scenes were cut, slut.
>>
>>63808894
even in a recent video interview JJ said how they had to keep doing it over and over again trying it differently
either way, anyone could have done the little bit of performance that came out of that awfully designed and rendered CGI turd
>>
She looked like a Pixar character
>>
>>63808873
didnt you learn anything from into darkness? in jj's universe ships can catch up in hyperspace
>>
Maz Kanata reminded me of a character from Titan AE, I forget his name, but he looked just like her.

I liked Maz btw.
>>
>>63804293
>BB8 IS POE'S WAIFU/HUSBANDO
>>
>>63809047
To be fair, Han was bragging about how the Falcon could go past lightspeed faster than other ships or something like that.

That's what I remember, though.
>>
JJ is the master of rehash
>>
>>63802455
>>63802426
Bull fucking shit. Promotion images with Lupita even show her wearing the Andy Serkis face capturing getup. That shit was CG in most scenes.
>>
>>63809182
FALSE FLAG SHILL
>>
>>63801910
complete misfire. got hyped up by han as quirky but wasn't interesting at all.

should've been cut out of the script but i guess they wanted that cantina scene.
>>
>>63801910
SO, how old is this character to have been throught the Sith Empire shit?
>>
>>63809282

didn't they say she's like 1000 years old
>>
>>63801910
why the fuck did this random bitch have lukes lightsaber

"Hurr durr story for another time"

How the hell could Rey stand up to klyo after never ever in her life up until then used a lightsaber before?

At least ogga booga got curb stomped by kylo, which makes sense, but fuck rey is such a bad character

The more I think the more I dont like this movie. all the leaks from months ago were true. The worst part was Luke having 20 seconds of screen time and no lines at all.

my ranking is 5 > 6 = 4 >3 >7>1>2

fite me
>>
>>63809332
not only why did they have Luke's saber but how incredibly convenient
>>
>>63809332
Stop the denial.
Episode 7 made the prequels look like the OT.
>>
>>63809332
>How the hell could Rey stand up to klyo after never ever in her life up until then used a lightsaber before?

because the force isn't about fucking power levels you faggots

>luminous beings are we, not this crude matter

I'm convinced people who didn't like this movie are the retarded Star Wars fans who were raised on the prequels who only like Star Wars because of the vain special effects and nothing about the characters
>>
>>63809427
>being a star wars fan

Guess who's in denial of reality
>>
>>63809461
>retarded Star Wars fans who were raised on the prequels
>being old enough to have seen the OT and still going on 4chan
go do something with ur life t b h
Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.