[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Miss me yet? i miss him
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 198
Thread images: 14
File: image.jpg (66 KB, 709x913) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66 KB, 709x913
Miss me yet?

i miss him
>>
>>63799441
I do ;_;
>>
>>63799441
I don't know why they even put George Lopez's name in the opening credits, he didn't do anything in this one, right?
>>
>>63799441

Here's to you, Georgie.

F.
>>
What was his script that disney turned down like?
>>
>>63799441
Literally who
>>
Did he died?
>>
Prequel hatred is a reddit-tier meme. VII was about as good as Phantom Menace, maybe slightly worse.
>>
>>63799441
Sorry we ever doubted you, based Giorgio. Pls come back.
>>
Actually yes, fuck that abrams' ep4 remake
>>
>>63799441
Come back pls. We all miss you
>>
File: 1415569122971.jpg (217 KB, 1900x816) Image search: [Google]
1415569122971.jpg
217 KB, 1900x816
TFA is plagued by the same problems that plagued the prequels, EXCEPT shitty CGI and incoherence

So no, George Lucas made 3 shit films, had his buddies make 3 good films, and now JJ has made one passable Star Wars film, so JJ is already lightyears ahead (parden my pun) of Lucas at this point
>>
If he doesn't direct ep. 9 I'll blow my brains out
>>
>>63799570
Actually the prequels being good is a reddit meme. Everyone knows reddit is infested with normies, normies have shit taste and enjoy the prequels

/tv/ has common sense and a sense of quality
>>
>>63799627
>TFA is plagued by the same problems that plagued the prequels, EXCEPT shitty CGI and incoherence
Yes, but they have the added problems of ridiculously fast pace, unriginality, shalowness. I have to say it is indeed worse.

The prequels are epics, tfa is a fun little action flick.
>>
>>63799674
Yeah, /tv/ is patrician as fuck
>>
>>63799441
i actually do, prequels were badly written but he at least knew how to film a damn scene.

JJ Abrams cant even into star wars wipe transitions.
>>
>>63799674
Normies hate the prequels. Hating the prequels is the biggest normie fad. They're hated because it's cool to hate them. Now fuck off back to reddit.
>>
File: gl.jpg (16 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
gl.jpg
16 KB, 480x360
What would 1983 George think of The Force Awakens?
>>
Now this is shitposting.
>>
>>63799830
He'd murder JJ.
>>
>>63799441
Yeah I do. Prequels are still shit, but Lucas having no hand in the Sequels doesn't sit right with me. If Lucas was in charge we could at least be sure that Luke would get to actually found the Jedi Academy. Now I'm afraid Rey will do it because le stronk independent womyn.
>>
Lucas: It's gonna be great.

Spielberg: That's gonna be great.
>>
>>63799938
Plus now Luke's grandson is gonna be a nigger.

How do you like your star wars senpai?
>>
>>63799630
He won't, the one directing is the guy who did Godzilla
>>
>>63799674
>/tv/ has common sense and a sense of quality

So im correct in assuming we KNOW the prequels are bad, but can be reasonable and break down whats bad but what is genuinely good as well?
Like how Lucas knows how to shoot a scene, use music properly, llighting ect, but has retarded writting ideas and isnt a character director?
>>
>>63799756
>no wipe transitions

I knew something was missing
>>
>>63799830
If 2015 George Lucas doesn't like the movie, 1983 George would get physically violent
>>
>>63800060
>knows how to shoot a scene
>shot-reverse-shot. forever

I hate to literally quote the memeviews like that but come on senpai
>>
>>63800040
no, he's doing the boba fett spinoff, the cunt behind Jurassic World is doing 8 and 9.
>>
"A special effect is a means of telling a story. A special effect without a story in meaningless."
>>
>>63799520
Same reason Stan Lee still gets credit in all the marvel shit/
>>
>>63800184
He also did Looper which was fantastic
>>
>>63800184
Really? thnak jesus. I was very scared about it now i'am only a bit scared. I still wonder why would they choose a director of a movie like that, i mean it was a comedy and i enjoyed like that. Hvae he done other good movies with serious tones?
>>
>>63800186
It's sad that Disney took this path in special effects>story even more so than the prequels did, instead of making a cool original new story and expanding the universe.
>>
>70's Lucas
>creates Star Wars
>Fans lap it up

>90's Lucas
>having come to despise Star Wars for its obnoxious fanbase and for taking over his life and preventing him from doing work that receives the accolades and critical respect his peers (Coppola, Spielberg) enjoy, Lucas decides to ruin Star Wars once and for all by churning out three diabolically shitty movies
>Fans lap it up

>Present day Lucas
>after milking Star Wars dry for decades, cash out by selling it to the animated jew for billions in profit
>retire with brown sugar waifu while animated jew pumps out soulless product after soulless product
>Fans lap it up

Seriously is there anything he can't do?
>>
I miss his world building skills certainly, I had a pretty decent grasp on the Galaxy of the OT after New Hope and the galaxy of the PT after Phantom Menace after TFA I am just "Sooo what the fuck is actually going on in this setting?"
>>
>>63799674
hellooo reddit!
>>
>>63799441
Well George here's the thing, VII had real locations and the whole film was some giant CGI sperg out featuring a few real actors
>>
What if ep 8 bombs hard? Could we see George on ep 9?
>>
>>63800433
Wasn't*

Also there was a lack of CGI characters which was refreshing
>>
>>63799627
Am I the only person who finds the scene in that pic to be the least offensive change in the specialized OT?

I mean, after the prequels, you can't just have some random cunt who looked nothing like Anakin standing there and expect people watching it for the first time to think it's Anakin
>>
>>63799441

Say what you will about the prequels but they WERE mostly original and felt distinct, and I am sure if Lucas had been involved in TFA the same would of been the case. the ideal situation would of been someone else writing the script off Lucas's ideas.
>>
Do we know if he's seen it yet, what he thinks?
>>
>>63800433
>>63800481
>i watch a movie for it's effects

the expendables is the movie for you
>>
>>63800433

I actually thought the planets in the PT were some of the best things about it, give me Kamino and Coruscant over Tatooine 2.0 and whatever the fuck the new forest planet was called any day.
>>
>>63800552
Yeah that would probably be the best, he would be the one doing the world building and creating story while others would be in charge of character development and all that. And he wouldn't be allowed to do whatever he wants like put characters his kid drew in his movies for example. He had just too much control in the prequels.
>>
>>63799756
>>63800068

Fucking really? So not only does he rehash the movie like he did with his Star Trek movies, but he can't even get key iconic elements right?
>>
>>63800586
I don't watch it for tge effects. There was far less emphasis on CGI compared to the prequels and that's a good thing
>>
>>63800266
>Looper which was fantastic

Am I being bamboozled?
>>
>>63800709
God you Reddit posters are insufferable on this site.
>>
>>63800762
Yeah, the emphasis was on practical effects and lens flares.
>>
>>63799441
NO. George Lucas didn't even understand why Star War was popular in the first place. Say what you will about TFA but at least it touches on similar themes that the old OT does. In other words it FEELS like a Star Wars movie rather than whatever the hell George Lucas thought it was when he made the PT.
>>
>>63800860

Sequels don't need to just rehash themes and feelings, they should innovate and feel different, especially when there's huge time gaps involved.

slavish devotion to "STAR WARS IS THIS SPECIFIC THING" is just a recipe for stagnation.
>>
>>63800803
>he likes episode 7
>calls others reddit
piss off redditor. I bet you like guardians of the galaxy too.
>>
>>63800803
It's sad how all the reddit fags like you try to hide your reddit habits by calling out others

Go back to reddit
>>
>>63800491
what the fuck you little cuckboy, they literally show old vader's face before he dies.
>>
>>63800860
>Say what you will about TFA but at least it touches on similar themes that the old OT does. In other words it FEELS like a Star Wars movie rather than whatever the hell George Lucas thought it was when he made the PT.
Haha... no.

TFA feels like a modern remake of starwars. Like that new robocop movie... or like JJ's star trek.
>>
>>63801016
TFA feels like a Disney movie

I wonder why
>>
>>63799441
No. TFA puts his drecting of the prequels to shame. The lightsaber fights are heavy and gritty again and not fucking circus acrobatics
>>
>>63800913
I don't get how anyone can defend the fact that this movie ruined the perfect happily ever after ending of episode 6 and took us right back to episode 4 with the same shit happening all over again. Except this time everything is double the scale yet feels so much smaller and shallower. Really there is no excuse to defend this movie.
>>
>>63800040
Imagine if Hideki Anno did Star Wars

>>63800060
>use lighting
Give me one example
>>
>>63800552
>felt distinct
If feeling like shit is distinct then yes.
>>
>>63799441
Yes. As much as a let down as the prequels were, there was a consitency in tone throughout them, and at least you knew what the fuck was going on from the top all the way down to the bottom.
>>
>>63799627

TFA doesn't feel like a SW movie unlike prequels, which despite being shit still felt like SW movies.

III's opening alone had more ships than all ships from VII combined

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqgphpiO0L8
>>
>>63801205
finn having a break down, "I mustn't run away"
Komm susser tod playing as the republic blows up.
>>
>>63801320

>Prequels felt like SW movies

Are you high?
>>
>>63800860
>It feels like a star wars movie
No it fucking doesn't

You've got Kylo "edgy as a black hedgehog" Ren spamming the force like it's going out of style in TFA, and Luke struggling to pull a lightsaber towards him in ESB
>>
>>63800860
>George Lucas didn't even understand why Star War was popular in the first place
Neither does JJ. He copied the notes and ignored the music.
>>
JewJew Abrams fanboys on suicide watch.
>>
>>63799992
they said this a year before Phantom Menace release right?
>>
>>63800579
he sees the merch sales that's all he's watching
>>
>>63800491
That's retarded. Ben aged since the prequels, so did Anakin. Showing one ghost old and one young makes zero fucking sense any way you look at it. If you assume the force ghost of a representation of them when they died, they should both be old, if you assume it's them when they were last friends, they should both be young.

Even in spite of all of that, you'd have to be braindead to not know it was Anakin upon first viewing. Even if you're some poor fool who watched the prequels first, it's obvious who it is standing next to Ben.

tldr; yes, you may actually be the only person in the world who prefers that change or think it makes sense.
>>
>>63800168
yeah that was his bad choice for the prequels because it was all green screen. that isnt his go to style.

but in action scenes, he does know how to give a sense of scale and has good establishing shots, ect.
>>
File: 1444517605440.jpg (430 KB, 5000x4779) Image search: [Google]
1444517605440.jpg
430 KB, 5000x4779
>>63801205
Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill, and Carrie Fisher facing directly to the camera telling to all the manchild fans of star wars to grow the fuck up for two hours.
>>
File: Brian_Posehn.jpg (187 KB, 649x800) Image search: [Google]
Brian_Posehn.jpg
187 KB, 649x800
>>63799441
Yes. I wasted my career in standup as a forum to whine about the prequels for more than a decade. Now I have eat the tablescraps of my own regret.
>>
>>63799441
Come back senpai ;_;
>>
>>63801387
not him but lets do a list.

lucas's style of camera shots
scene wipe transitions
music that was noticable
fantastical designs and enviornments
good sound effects
ect
>>
>>63801394
ESB on Hoth he was about as trained as Rey and had a lot of mental blocks to deal with. Much anger etc etc. A lot of his father in him. Rey has a lot of her father in her... Well. Ren is a psycho. Edgelord, maybe, but a piece of shit douche just the same. Conflicted, imo, but totally taken by the dark side. Which is about as edge as you can be anyway.
>>
>>63802241
Hey, what if the cast of Seinfeld was in Star Wars?
>>
>>63801178
EU did the same thing. They wipe EU clean. Still do same thing. When the deathstar1 was built the same contractor had plans for multiple other moon bases and Starkiller not sure what else.

You may think it's the same but the damn thing eats whole stars.
>>
>>63802569
how about someone funny?

like the cast of Always Sunny in Philadelphia.
>>
>>63799830
needs more Ewoks
>>
File: image.jpg (398 KB, 704x706) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
398 KB, 704x706
>>63799441
Yeah. All joking aside, he did give us Star Wars. And now that Disney has given us exactly what we thought we wanted, I think we might be able to start appreciating that the original creator challenged his own creation with the prequels.
Pretty ballsy, really.
>>
>>63802953
>the original creator challenged his own creation with the prequels.
since when is shitting all over them considered "challenging" them?
>>
>>63799539
No one knows, all that we do know is the theme was luke passing on his knowledge. Also it was supposed to come out in 2011 since George asked Hamill if he wanted to be in another Star Wars by that year on the set of IV.
>>
>fanboys criticise director for surrounding himself with yesmen
>wants director to be a yesman to fanboys
>>
>>63803132
He said challenge, he didnt say reign victorious.
>>
>>63800366
Make a movie that doesn't rely on characters he created three decades ago?
>>
>>63801387
>meaningful part of the vader saga
>mythological underpinnings respected
>showing the adventures of obi wan

there is nothing wrong with the prequel story, only the dialogue, plotting and effects are shit
>>
>>63803187
JJ is about as fucking Yes man as they come.
>>
>>63803132
Regardless of how they turned out, the very act of trying something new when you already know you've created gold that you can just rehash is challenging it. You seem to think challenge = pose a threat which isn't really the case.
>>
>>63803245
but after he realizing he went too far in a few places, why didn't he reign it in instead of making the next one even worse?
>>
>>63803245
because he had an actual story to tell, he wasn't lying when he said he had scripts for 12 movies

not really scripts, not even treatments, but notes and story ideas enough to last that many
>>
>>63803132
He created new worlds, societies, characters, technology from scratch while only recycling a very small amount from the originals.

TFA is a remake of Ep IV with absolutely no creativity.
>>
>>63803244
Eh, he was originally slated to do all three movies and then got removed from the other two after butting heads with the studio
>>
>>63803232
>there is nothing wrong with the prequel story, only the dialogue, plotting and effects are shit
So what you're saying is there's nothing wrong with the movies, except for everything about the movies?
>>
>>63803232
i think some details needed work, and personally i think phantom menace could have started at episode 2, and 2 was in the middle of the clone wars, where Anakin was slowly going mad with power, rage, and became more totalitarian.
>>
My god.

How can 4chan be this contrarian.
>>
>>63799520
Yeah, I mean..."Based on Characters Created by..." what the fuck does that even mean lol?
>>
So do we accept VII as canon and rank it among the other Star Wars films? I don't
>>
File: 3b2.jpg (9 KB, 176x187) Image search: [Google]
3b2.jpg
9 KB, 176x187
>>63803232
>there is nothing wrong with the prequel story
>there is nothing wrong with an entire plot of a kids movie being based around tariff disputes
>>
>>63803375
for what? not sucking lucas's dick hard enough? Or sucking it TOO hard?

>>63803389
he didnt say designs, premise, universe building, plot elements, ect were shit.
>>
>>63803358
>He created new worlds, societies, characters, technology from scratch while only recycling a very small amount from the originals.

Except.. George Lucas barely wrote most of a New Hope and it was saved in editing, he didn't write Empire, or RoTJ; and most of the prequel creatures were from the expanded universe created by other authors.
>>
>>63803396
>contrarian

if by contrarian you mean "doesnt straight up buy into shitty mass produced souless garbage and want films to be held to a higher standard" then the answer to your question is "With fucking ease and peace of mind".
>>
>>63803394
phantom menace start was perfect, it was meant to show young obi wans first adventure, the problem is it lost the thread about halfway through when we get to tatooine, it was also meant to show the republic at its height, and it did alright in establishing the beginnings of the separatist movement

they should have focused more on obi wan and qui gon rather than a too young anakin though
>>
>>63803439
I don't either.

T think of it as pre-Disney and post-Disney Star Wars.

Pre is way better because EU.
>>
>>63803618

I just hope they won't fuck up rogue one because that seems like the last hope for star wars at this point
>>
>>63803574
Jake Lloyd was perfectly fine in TPM, I think. He was just given some awkward dialogue. He, as a child actor, was actually pretty good.
>>
>>63800266
>>63800184
Nop no no. The cunt that did jurassic world is doing episode 9. Looper guy is doing episode 8.
>>
>>63803290
>why didn't he reign it in

Because as he mentioned in the same breath of the quote you just memed, it was too late.

>instead of making the next one even worse

>implying

He tried his best and it showed because each prequel movie was slightly better the last. He's just not very good anymore.
>>
>>63803686
Oh I think he was great, the problem is it contradicts what we learn from IV, which is that owen didn't agree with his decision to go fight in the clone wars. And it detracts from obi wan who should be the star of the show here.
>>
>>63803712
The romance sub-plot in AoTC is worse than anything in TPM
>>
shit you guys are just like /v/

>GTA V comes out, all the sudden stop shitting on GTA IV and remember it as amazing
>MSG V comes out, all the sudden stop shitting on MSG IV and remember it as amazing

force awaken was hundred times better than anything in the prequel

star wars was only good since george pretty much copied
empire strikes back was only good cause it was directed by someone else
>>
>>63803686
>perfectly fine in TPM, I think

Carooskint?
>>
File: 1441812574143.png (266 KB, 368x657) Image search: [Google]
1441812574143.png
266 KB, 368x657
People who grew up with the original trilogy like the new movie because it's a simple, charming good vs. evil story with memorable characters, intense action and genuinely funny moments. People who grew up with the prequels hate the new movie because why? They wanted the characters to be more wooden? They wanted the fights to look choreographed as fuck? They wanted another forced love story? More dull conversations about tax routes and trade federations and blockades? More Jar Jar? Pacing that makes you check your watch every 5 minutes?

I've grown to like I and III, but it took me since 1999 and 2005 respectively to do that. VII was just a blast to watch.
>>
>>63803712
I think TPM was alright, AOTC was weird and ROTS was a disaster

remember he spent years writing tpm and 2-3 months writing aotc, shot it on a draft, which is why the "mystery" is so basic even a 4 year old could figure it out, it didn't have time enough to be developed into something interesting
>>
>>63803782
>force awaken was hundred times better than anything in the prequel

I agree with you except the Prequels had much better duels.
the one in TFA was way too short
>>
>>63803797
>implying

people who never watched star wars before pretended to be nerds liked it

fans of both the OT and prequels should be appalled because it shits all over both
>>
George was the key to all this
>>
>>63803765
You could say that, but the story as a whole was more interesting in my opinion. Either way you can't deny Lucas gave it his all for Ep3, but like I said he just doesn't have it any more.
>>
>>63799441
Why would I miss him? He literally wrote the entire screenplay for the Force awakens back in the '70s.

just kidding, i fucking miss him so much. I NEVER TURNED ON YOU GEORGE! I ENJOYED THE PREQUELS I SWEAR!
>>
>>63803797

at least the prequels had heart, at least george tried, at least they had new shit in them

7 is nothing, its insulting bland, the prequels might be shit, but they've entertained me (based plinket) more than 7 ever will
>>
>>63803867
>shitting all over the prequels
>a bad thing
>>
File: cf473c_5745628.png (73 KB, 807x343) Image search: [Google]
cf473c_5745628.png
73 KB, 807x343
>>63803889
>You could say that, but the story as a whole was more interesting in my opinion.

It was the most plot hole ridden SW story by far m8, take off the nostalgia goggles
>>
>>63801320
the opening is directed by Steven Spilbergo
>>
>>63803765
maby, but i;ll give it points for actually TRYING to spend tiem to develope characters as oppossed to characters with no arcs, and no growth in what i think is only a 2 day period.

At LEAST episode 2 tried to make it look like they had a developing relationship.
>>
>>63803971
and this is from the franchise that couldn't decide who lukes dad really was until the third film (remember, james earl jones played the line as if vader was lying, thats why yoda had to clarify it in rotj)
>>
>>63803524
You are the worst.
>>
>>63803454
Casting Bogyea was one issue I think. Disney cares about money more than diversity and a black lead will hurt them overseas. Disney wanting to just pump shit out might be another.
>>
>>63803867
I've been a fan since I was a kid in the 80s. The prequels disappointed me. This one lived up to my expectations. How does this one shit all over the OT?

>>63803949
>at least the prequels had heart

The characters are bland as fuck though. I love George Lucas for creating Star Wars but he lost the plot by the mid 90s. The writing and acting ranged from average to horrible. By III everyone stepped their game up a little, but by then it was too little too late. JJ got it right off the bat.

I'm not a shill. I just really liked the new one and thought it had way more in common with the originals than the prequels.
>>
Fuck off with this meme.

The only movie he did all on his own that was even close to decent was ROTS and I'm more willing to credit Ewan McGregor with that more than I am George.

If you contrarian fanboys really, really want another frankly embarrassing Star Wars movie lke Attack of the Clones then go convince George to make a whole new sci fi universe and see where that leads
>>
>>63803476
>he didn't write Empire, or RoTJ
Yeah Kasdan did a great job creating Lucas's ep4 script for TFA.
>>
>>63804238
your expectations must have been non existant

>mary sue characters
>no respect for the myth
>random plot twists for the sake of surprise
>incoherent plot
>no world building whatsoever
>reusing old plot points
>meaningless characters

it's visually similar because it uses similar locations and ships

maybe you are simply that shallow
>>
>>63803797
>They wanted the characters to be more wooden?
i'll take wooden and varied as well as ATTEMPTING to have growth as opposed to quippy characters who just have sudden and wild life changing resolutions.
>They wanted the fights to look choreographed as fuck?
At least they were framed well and had some fucking tension and didnt have newbies taking down experienced sith lords the first time they ever held a lightsaber.
>They wanted another forced love story?
Hey, its SOMETHING, at least a forced love story is an attempt at making a characters we care about.
>More dull conversations about tax routes and trade federations and blockades?
at least then we understand why shit is the way it is and where sides are.
why does the first order exist?
why do they hate the new republic?
why is the resistance so reg tag after having backing by the republic?
>More Jar Jar?
Hey we got that pointless glasses wearing alien person.
>Pacing that makes you check your watch every 5 minutes?
TFA was the single most tedious and mind numbing movie in the franchise. everyone in my theater kept checking the time to know when it was over, and people were falling asleep.
At least the prequels calmed down and juxtaposition in action and introduced a few interesting elements (poorly executed, but still there) they kept your attention.

but you know what i really wanted?
better directing, lighting, sound, music, and camera work that didnt combine to make the most boring and headache inducing theater experience since i saw into darkness with the flu and a hangover.
>>
>>63804238
>I just really liked the new one and thought it had way more in common with the originals than the prequels.
>more in common
A facile replica
>>
>>63803949
this.

poorly executed ambition is always preferable than excelling at being bland.
>>
>>63804379
Good word. This is exactly the same as people who like Alien 3 because it "was more like the first one".

Fuck it makes me mad.
>>
>>63804253
>Fuck off with this meme.
It only makes you angry because deep down you agree.
>>
At least he was fucking original and experimented when doing the prequels.
>>
>>63801706
Fuck the fact that he is young, why does his force ghost have arms and legs? Why isn't he covered in burns? Why isn't he just a stump of a human being, lying on the ground and screaming in pain?
>>
File: hoc4.gif (2 MB, 378x252) Image search: [Google]
hoc4.gif
2 MB, 378x252
>>63799627
>>63799627
>JJ has made one passable Star Wars film, so JJ is already lightyears ahead (parden my pun) of Lucas at this point

>Implying Abrams didn't just completely rip off A New Hope for his "passable" movie
>>
>>63800491
This reminds me, we can still find the untouched OT movies without any of the remasterizations on the internet? Everything I find has the changes already.
>>
>>63804467
huh, i was under the impression people liked alien 3 because of the characters and the fact it turned into a horror film again and didnt just go beat for beat the same as the last 2 films?
>>
>>63804582
>it turned into a horror film again
But horror movies are supposed to be scary.
>>
>>63803765
No it's not. Anikan was like 20 and probably never really had a friendship (not to mention relationship) with a girl, of course he'd be awkward, and this is reflected in the script.
>>
>>63802298
Lucas used screens wipes just to change dialogue to another character in the same scene fucking hack
>>
>>63804582
Alien 3 copies the premise of Alien and does it very poorly.

Aliens did something new, expanded the story and had a great plot. It was more of an action movie but it had it's freaky moments like the facehugger scene and the queen's lair.

A lot of people like Alien 3, despite how poorly done and inconsistent it is, because it has one alien lurking around an unarmed group in a remote location, that's it. Superficial as fuck and meaningless to the quality of the film.
>>
>>63804634
is being a George apologist a new meme?
>>
>>63803971
Entertaining stories don't need to be free of plotholes. I enjoyed Anakins and Obiwans dynamic more than anything Ep1 had to offer. Maybe youre right and it's just nostalgia goggles, maybe its just personal preference. Either way it doesn't matter because it's not like I have plans to rewatch them ever again anyway.
>>
>>63802140
I would watch that
>>
>>63804330

>mary sue characters
Luke wasn't a greenhorn in the first one?

>no respect for the myth
How? Absolutely nothing changed about the force in this one, and not once did they mention midichlorians.

>random plot twists for the sake of surprise
Like what? Unlike the prequels, nothing in this one felt forced. All the "twists" served a purpose instead of just being 100% fan bait.

>incoherent plot
That's absurd. The main thing I liked about this movie is that it ISN'T an incoherent mess like the prequels. It was as straightforward as you can get.

>no world building whatsoever
It's Star Wars, and it hops from place to place just like it always did.

>reusing old plot points
It's a proven formula that's worked a million times outside of Star Wars. It's what people love about the OT and tons of other movies. I'm sure you've seen the Plinkett reviews. And no, I'm not one of those faggots who hates on the prequels just because of RLM. They just so happen to be 100% right about why the OT works and why the PT does not.

>meaningless characters
Like who?
>>
>>63804467
Alien 3 is boring. TFA is not.

People warmed up to Alien 3 over time just like most of /tv/ apparently has done with the prequels. 4chan would have exploded with hate over the Phantom Menace if it was around in 1999.
>>
>>63799441
we're so sorry George
>>
>>63804467
>>63804680
>>63804970
Alien thread now?

A3 was dogshit. Prometheus was better.

A1 and A2 were near-perfect movies in their own right. One being a horror thriller, the other a action thriller. Everything that followed those two films has yet to surpass them. To think of it, the exact same applies to the Terminator franchise which is my other childhood favorite.
>>
>>63800752
But there actually literally was a wipe transition
>>
>>63803884
Tbh he did invent the coolest thing to come out of merica since jazz
>>
>>63801178
It feels like they completely ignored the fall of the Empire and just retconned things back to Rebels vs Empire, only now it's Resistance vs. First Order, with no explanation as to how they came to power or how the Republic lost it. Which would've actually, made for a better fucking movie.
>>
>>63804902
Luke had to learn everything from the bottom up, and had his failures. How is that mary sue? Rey knows everything and can do everything from the get go. Finn as well with the lightsaber.

>muh midichlorians
5th grade level of understanding
do you know about the heros journey? the journal of the whills? eastern philosophy? then shut the fuck up you ignoramus

midichlorians were named in 1978

>prequels were forced
how?

>twists served a purpose
like what?

>it isn't incoherent
tell me one coherent thing

>hops from place to place like it always did
Star Wars spent 30 minutes telling us about tatooine just for the sake of doing so. Bespin, Endor, all were given appropriate dedication to building unique worlds. Even coruscant and naboo were well developed.

Only developing we see in this is 5 minutes of "oh everyone is scavengers (like jawas except shit) and then jumping from planet to planet without explanation. The only thing changing being the backdrop.

>it's a proven formula
spoken by someone who has no story to tell

>meaningless characters
like everyone, nobody has any role to fulfill, what is the meaning of finn? of rey? why is han there? there's no reason for anything, they do not have meaning
>>
>>63805234
Well that's good to hear. Those still make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside when I watch the OT no homo.
>>
>>63805165
The first two Aliens are perfect. I grew to think Alien 3 is okay since I watched it so many times to try and force myself to like it, but I still think it's just okay. Same with the prequels, but I still know they're a mess.
>>
>>63805325
>earth invasion plot will never be real
>>
>>63800366
Funny part is Disney just made the money back they shelled out to Lucas plus more... Lucas is a idiot 1 hit wonder
>>
>>63800366
He donated most of the money from selling Star Wars though.
>>
>>63805436
>Lucas is a idiot 1 hit wonder

THX 1138 and American Graffiti are great.
>>
>>63804676
if you're gonna talk, at least know what the fuck you're talking about.

>>63804902
>Luke wasn't a greenhorn in the first one?
he was an underdog and needed a shit ton fo help and training, and even in the sequels he struggled and got hurt a lot.>>63804902
>>meaningless characters
>Like who?
dark trooper woman

>>63805234
>>63805316
there was 2 of them.
>>
>>63805636
Thx was a great mood vie sound system hahaha otherwise mope and nope
>>
>>63805636
dont forget Indianna Jones and Land Before Time.
>>
>>63805683
Come shut me up fuck boi
>>
>>63805497
And? What's most? Let's say 3/4? ~1 billion is still enough to live more than comfortably for a lifetime and still leave a fortune to your kids who would also probably never have to work a day in their lives.

He's gonna die a happy man and I'm happy for him. Why aren't you?
>>
Another big fuck up with TFA.....shit music.

Easily John Williams most boring work to date.
>>
>>63805165
>A3 was dogshit. Prometheus was better.

No.

Look, A3 has all sorts of problems, but in the ends it's okay. It's saved by the miracle of editing through the shit production. And it's not great, it's just mediocre.

AR is just awful in nearly all respects except for the production design, some good acting and a decent script.

But prometheus is absolutely fantastic in every way, except for the fact that the script is fucking awful and it makes no sense. It doesn't matter how well it's directed when nothing in the movie has any logic behind it.

>totally agree with you on A1 A2 T1 & T2 though.
>>
>>63805804
How the fuck did he go from TPM and ROTS to this? I guess he saw how awful it was and didn't bother too much with it.

>tfw no complete ROTS score will be released ever
>>
>>63805905
>it's okay

it literally isn't, it's not scary, it shits all over aliens, it's a shallow copy of alien, the effects are bad, and ripley turns from a lucky survivor to full on mary sue
>>
>>63805987
>it's not scary

It's somewhat scary. But yeah, it's a copy of alien and shits over A2, but that doesn't make it a bad film. The effects are dated, not bad. Ripley's hardly a mary sue considering the whole plot of the films is her trying to convince everyone to listen to her, and then she dies.

You want mary sue, watch AR again.

A3 isn't without it's problems, but it's not awful.
>>
>>63806083
>alien doesn't do anything because muh rape metaphor
>religious self sacrifice at the end

completely overdone, AR is just the logical extension of what A3 started
>>
>>63806166
One good thing I will say about AR is that the scene of Ripleys child being sucked through that tiny hole really resonated with me as a youth. Even had a nightmare about it once.
>>
>>63806848
the dvd started skipping nearly halfway through for me so I just stopped watching

thank god because I don't think I could have withstood much more of that
>>
>>63806848
>>63806882

One way I'd describe resurrection is this:

It's the karmic answer to the question "could it possibly get worse than alien 3?"
>>
>>63800552
You are now aware Lucas gave Disney synopses for episodes 7-9, and when the sale went down they assured fans they'd be following closely Lucas' layout for the upcoming films, then once fan outcry died down they were like, "Yeah nah, we're scrapping all that shit."
>>
File: jack1.5.png (422 KB, 418x677) Image search: [Google]
jack1.5.png
422 KB, 418x677
>>63801016
>Trailer for new Star Trek movie plays before Star Wars
>Movie looks like a balls to the wall action flick, all high-concept scifi completely drained from it
>"Ahhhhhhh can't stand it, I know ya planned it!"

Meatheads have taken over all the things they bullied nerds for being into a couple decades ago
>>
>>63803797

I grew up with the originals and would have appreciated a little bit of talk about what the official government was doing, or why they weren't using a proper military, or how the FO's existence happened, or the way it was existing alongside the Republic. Actually, it probably should've gone in the opening crawl, which only talked about Luke being missing.
>>
>>63807506
they should have just made a movie about the battle of jakku and lukes new jedi order and how kylo ren fell to the darkside instead

that would have been actually good
>>
>>63804121
>remember, james earl jones played the line as if vader was lying

He did? What about 'Search your feelings, you KNOW it to be true'?
>>
>>63803796
>Sheltered slave boy doesn't know how to say name of place
>>
>>63807594
>>63804121
I thought it was, Lucas was certain but Jones assumed Vader was lying.
>>
File: arrr.gif (2 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
arrr.gif
2 MB, 500x281
>>63804902
>All the "twists" served a purpose instead of just being 100% fan bait.

"J...Just talk to Kylo, Han. That'll set him straight. Kylo's a good boy, he dindu nuffin."
>>
>>63807594
It was some interview with him. I can't readily find a link, but he talks about knowing ahead of time that vader was lukes father.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0uPzrx0n90
I think it was part of this interview but I can't find the full version and I'm not exactly sure.
>>
>>63807741

But dat symbolism:

>There's still light in him
>As long as that sun's shining, there's still a chance
>THE LIGHT GOES OUT...
>...right when Kylo kills daddy
>>
>>63808147
written by a 5 year old tier
>>
>>63807609
Just sayin the delivery was laughable
>>
>>63799441
yup
>>
>>63808147
gay
>>
>>63808221
it's like poetry
>>
>>63799674
literally the most reddit thing i have ever reddit.

literally reddit yourself my man
>>
This threads proof that /tv/ is full of shitty hipsters
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqNG_SrSa4o
Wish it had this.
>>
>>63799441
Missed! I didn't know until now
Thread replies: 198
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.