[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
good evening, /tv/ after having reread the original graphic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5
File: 813fJJN7qoL._SL1500_[1].jpg (179 KB, 1120x1500) Image search: [Google]
813fJJN7qoL._SL1500_[1].jpg
179 KB, 1120x1500
good evening, /tv/

after having reread the original graphic novel earlier this week I also rewatched the Ultimate Cut of Watchmen tonight to compare the two.
I thought the movie was deeply flawed and although it was well-shot it ultimately failed as an adaption of the comic.

- drawn out and unnecessarily violent
- cringe-worthy sex-scene in the owl-ship
- some terrible casting (Veidt and Laurie)
- some terrible characterization (again, Veidt and Laurie)

my biggest gripe with it is that ultimately they just shot all the important scenes but without the context that gave them weight in the comic. nothing seems to matter, the point never really comes across, Snyder just went through the motions with the movie and it shows.

What did you think of Watchmen, /tv/?
>>
Haven't seen the Ultimate Cut or read the GN. I thought the film was stylistically great. I agree that Laurie was terrible, but it was easy to invest in all the others. Veidt just needed better direction and a bit more background/motivation.

Still 100x better than typical capeshit. I can watch this film over and over and still enjoy it; can't do that with typical capeshit.
>>
>>63798833
I liked it but I haven't read the comic.

Though with Game of Thrones I started disliking the series after reading the books, so it could go either way really.
>>
I was also quite disappointed with how they adapted the Watchmaker chapter, as this was easily my favorite part of the book. The scene in the movie was decent, but I really wish they would have shown more of Osterman's past instead of just the accident, the photograph and the crimebusters' meeting.
>>
>>63799112
I am curious how you could enjoy the movie without any knowledge from the comic. Although I am sure it is entertaining on its own, aren't there just way too many characters with not enough information on them?
>>
It might be going too far and reading into something that's not there, but I have a suspicion that Snyder was trying to put a subtle commentary of superhero movies in there with the changes to each character's costume. There are weird, arbitrary changes that serve no purpose. Adrian, Niteowl, Latex Specter and Silk Specter classic's costume are different for no other reason than to mirror past superhero film costumes, primarily Batman.
>>
As much as kermode can be a pretentious douche at times I think he hit the nail on the head when he said that the film felt like snyder knew it was a great comic, but didn't understand why.

It's like he spent all his energy trying to faithfully recreate the comic as a film (which makes the changes he made all the more baffling) and managed to totally miss everything that makes the comic so good.

/tv/ generally has a bit of a hard on for this film though, so you won't get much agreement
>>
>>63798833
Reminder that Snyder accepted the job because otherwise Michael Bay would have directed it.
>>
>>63799122
Yeah, I felt that feel really flat
>>
File: CLGwqquW8AAGscS.jpg (31 KB, 600x290) Image search: [Google]
CLGwqquW8AAGscS.jpg
31 KB, 600x290
>>63799288
*fell
>>
>>63798833
Snyde's biggest mistake was glorifying the superheroes and their antics, when the comic book was all about NOT doing that.
>>
>>63799287
Source
>>
File: WATCHMEN_2012_OZY_Cvr[1].jpg (169 KB, 660x1014) Image search: [Google]
WATCHMEN_2012_OZY_Cvr[1].jpg
169 KB, 660x1014
>>63799242
I believe that simply adapting the story doesn't do it justice and that's probably why this film didn't work for me. it needs the under the hood chapters, it needs all the world-building for the nuclear threat to feel real.
I feel like this is something that really fell flat in the movie, the atmosphere just didn't come through.

>>63799229
this might very well be true, although I think the original Nite Owl II outfit probably wouldn't work very well in a life-action adaptation. it looks more like an owl, yeah, but it would probably look too silly in real life

ozymandias' costume however, would have been ok I think. I get that he wanted to play a joke on the old batman costume, but I probably would have been happier with his traditional one.
>>
>>63799356
Lol watchmen is the best capeshit ever made and a man of your intelligence should know that
>>
>>63799356
true, they really didn't need to be super fighters. Rorschach being a street-savvy brawler is a-ok, but them basically having superpowers was offputting
>>
>>63799229
Well yeah, Veidt's costume was a none too subtle Batman & Robin getup. It had goddamn rubber nipples.
>>
Laurie's realization that Blake was her father also felt kinda meaningless. I really liked the imagery of the falling Nostalgia bottle in the comic, the movie version just kinda happened
>>
dont worry guys, they'll never make another movie like it again because it flopped. enjoy your batman vs superman and captain america vs ironman shit fests.
>>
>>63799671
not so sure about that, HBO was in talks for a watchmen TV show.
If they do a faithful 12-part adaption on the small screen I'll die a happy man
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.