[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is anyone else irked to see so many people excited about Star
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 22
File: death-grips-deconstructing.jpg (116 KB, 608x450) Image search: [Google]
death-grips-deconstructing.jpg
116 KB, 608x450
is anyone else irked to see so many people excited about Star Wars? There is a whole generation that is now going to be subjected to this entity that will always live in the shadow of it's historic past. This generation will not get a historic cinematic moment like the past ones did, it will only get a historic financial one when everyone buys into these new movies hoping to recreate the moment they were not even born yet to be a part of. It's disgusting to me in a deep and visceral way. It's like people being excited about a funeral.
>>
The only people that like this new movie are literally cross posters from /co/ and /v/

Just look at their hilarious attempts at reviewing it
>da lights and plot was gud
>>
really don't care. also a funeral and a movie are pretty much the same thing so i'm gonna go ahead and say you are an idiot.
>>
>>63790606
Eh, I was irked with franchise before this. People treated me like I was a friggin' alien because I'd never seen any of the movies. So i saw this one and it wasn't worth it.
>>
>>63790606
SLEEBES UP MY SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVS UP MY SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES UP MYSLEEBVS UP MYU SELEEVVS UP MY SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES UP MY SLWEEVS UP MY SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVS
>>
>>63790662
yeah, it's apparently getting good reviews though.

>>63790684
ok

Maybe there is someone else here who feels the same and can articulate it better. I feel like a generation is being cheated, they will never have full ownership over their experience because they are getting this product that has been replicated over and over, and you have multiple generations nostalgia being digested and regurgitated and handed down until anything that was great about it is dulled by years of just shit all over it.
>>
>>63790877
you just have a shit life, don't like who you are, don't like what the world is and probably don't like other people much either.

all of that is why you can't enjoy a fun movie, that's assuming you've even watched it which I'm about 85% sure you haven't.

remember: it's a movie. if you're actually this upset over a movie no one is obligating you to watch, there's something wrong with your life. and it has nothing to do with this movie, believe me.
>>
File: 1449667617123.png (672 KB, 906x799) Image search: [Google]
1449667617123.png
672 KB, 906x799
yes and I'm almost more irked about J.J. fucking it up so bad that his Star Trek movies are more fun to watch compared to ep 7
>>
>>63790877
it definitely felt like more like a modernized reboot
it felt like the new startrek
decent flick but honestly just pissing in th eye of the original
there was no heart to it, it felt like disney just slapped some star wars paint on a modern action movie and said here chucklefucks open wide
say what you want about the prequels ( and youd be right in doing so) but at east they exlicited something
they may have been boring hair pullingly bad movies. but at least smething was there underneath, it may have been shined up dogshit but this one was just nothing
>>
>>63790959
chill out simpleton, the movie sucks and you don't have to pretend to like it

there is nothing abstract about what he's saying

I'd actually be willing to bet that the people who do love the new movie and vehemently defend it for free are the ones who don't really love themselves or are simply not very perceptive
>>
>>63790959
>ad hominems up the ass

I would say your argument is trash, but you have none.
>>
>>63790606
SPREA SPREA SPREA SPREA
SPREAD EAGLE CROSS THE BLOCK
SPREAD EAGLE CROSS THE BLOCK
>>
>>63790959
I have not seen and do not wish to see the film in question. I made this thread so I could practice articulating why I don't want to see it when I have to explain to people that insistently ask me.

>>63791076
that sounds about right. It's funny to think about, cause I those books and all the stories the 'extended universe' had, probably had a lot of stories like the prequels, as in mostly boring nerdy history and stuff, but actually supporting the foundation of the fiction. Yet when it comes down to it people will like the substance-less action flicks more than the tedious prequels.
>>
>>63791143
>>63791154
it's a movie. And it's managed to make people who don't even like it or want/have to watch it write long diatribes about how it's ruining society or how a generation is being sold some false product. I don't even care if you like it or not, it's nothing to be upset about. You can watch it or not watch it.

repeat after me

Star Wars
The Force Awakens
is a movie.

Let's do it one more time just to make sure

Star Wars
The Force Awakens
is a movie.
>>
>>63790606
nope, don't care. i just wish my little brother didn't either.
>>
Who is really excited about it though? Some of my friends are talking about it but they're not crazy hyped. Away from the internet it's just like any other big movie release. For most people this is just another capeshit. Remember that half the people in the cinema with you have never seen any of the OG Star Wars.
>>
>>63790606
>not a historic cinematic moment

You must actually not go out anywhere aside from your own home, and even then you must not visit any other website than 4chan.

People like you who hate something just because it's popular no matter how good it is are the disgusting ones. Although it makes me slightly angry that you'll spread your filth around like it matters, I'm also glad that you'll be miserable like this for the rest of your life. More things you hate will become popular and you'll become deeply embittered every single time.

Too bad the force doesn't exist so that you can use your endless misery to make you powerful. You're just going to stay weak and pathetic until you die of absolute sadness in a few decades.
>>
>>63791239
The discussion of nostalgia culture is not new, and it's only natural that this manifestation of it be examined through that lens. Retromania is effecting a lot of things.
>>
>>63791239
It's a flick at best, kid
>>
>>63790606
of course you'd be posting with a death grips image

you're worse than all the people you describe
>>
>>63791239
Just a movie? Get the fuck out of here with that shit you fucking ape. That's like saying the bible is "just" a book and ignoring it's historical value. Star Wars, as a brand, is a cultural icon. It has been fucking life-changing to some people. And because of it's degree of influence, it deserves to be criticized as it reflects on society as a whole. Fucking simpleton.
>>
File: 1447945634218.jpg (40 KB, 422x600) Image search: [Google]
1447945634218.jpg
40 KB, 422x600
>>63791349
You have terrible reading comprehension if you think I dislike this film because it's popular.
>>
>>63791239
>repeat after me
>Star Wars The Force Awakens is a movie

>Let's do it one more time just to make sure

it's a borderline video game with aspirations of being a flick and almost deluded enough to sometimes venture into movie territory
>>
>>63791349
this sums up how i feel about everyone who shitposts about how much they hate this movie. some people post legit complaints about the movies but you can tell the difference between people who have or haven't watched the movie easily.

>>63791354
maybe people just wanted to watch a new star wars movie that wasn't shit. and then they got what they wanted, and the vast majority of people love it except for embittered virgins and neckbeards and the thesaurus wielding critics they lick the balls of.

>>63791395
>>63791375
yes it's literally just a movie.

people are born, live, have children, die, and never know what the fuck star wars is (besides knowing it's a movie) or care about it. That still happens in the year 2015.

Other people like yourself spend all day whining about things other people like as if you've got a lightsaber permanently stuck up your ass, and die without reproducing anyways. go figure.
>>
>>63791457
No, it's a movie.
>>
>>63791239
it's live-action Call of Duty commercial tier and a flick at best
>>
>>63791420
>it will only get a historic financial one when everyone buys into these new movies
>It's like people being excited about a funeral

That sounds EXACTLY like you dislike it because it's popular. Nowhere in there did you write an actual critique on a part of the film and all you did was mention it's financial success and compare it to a funeral.
>>
>>63791386
Death Grips is a forward thinking band with and awareness about history but the intelligence to realize you can't repeat greatness by imitating it because the things that were great were great because they were innovative and unique. It's a very appropriate image choice.

>>63791504
it's funny to see people get so angry about it when people criticize this film or the culture surrounding it. The reaction probably comes from the deeply represses acknowledgement that the film they enjoy is actually a load of shit. It has to be. There's no way for it to live up to the original, it's entirely a downward slide. It's a farce and I think deep down people realize that.

>>63791640
if you read the thread you would know I haven't seen the film and this is a discussion about the culture. I am not criticizing the film at all, I am criticizing the culture. I don't hate the film because it's popular, I hate it because it is an egregious example of nostalgia culture which I dislike and view as ultimately harmful.

The only upside of this is if better films get financed with the profits.
>>
File: mcridephila.jpg (219 KB, 698x1024) Image search: [Google]
mcridephila.jpg
219 KB, 698x1024
>>63790606
Stale rehashed plots, boring characters, predictable twists, corny dialogue, cinematic cliches. TFA is Disney making fortunes off of another superhero series without directly labeling it one.
The people giving it praise probably don't understand why they like the original trilogy other than the fact that its classic.
>>
File: fun things are fun.jpg (91 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
fun things are fun.jpg
91 KB, 640x480
>>63791851
It's just a movie.
>>
File: rpatz chillin with macride.png (408 KB, 500x603) Image search: [Google]
rpatz chillin with macride.png
408 KB, 500x603
>>63791851
>>63791864
I know that Death Grips is primarily band for edgy teens, but come on guys. Even Zach, Stefan and Andy probably went to see this movie.

Have any of you guys just considered that maybe people just wanted to see a new Star Wars movie? Or people wondered what happened to Luke after Episode VI? And then people decided to make that movie knowing that millions of people would watch it?

Why is this so hard for you guys to understand? Also it sounds like you guys haven't went outside in 20 years. There are 8 year old kids who have watched Star Wars with their parents who just like the old movies because of lightsabers and blasters and Xwings and shit.

It's just a fun, sci-fi fantasy movie.

That's all Star Wars has ever been since 1977: Science Fiction. Fantasy. A movie. And this new one is another science fiction fantasy movie.

I just don't get why you guys get so worked up over a movie. If there's a movie I don't like or don't care about, I just don't talk or think about it. I focus on things I do like. Why are you guys so worked up over a movie you don't even like? And seemingly a fanbase you don't understand at all. I don't like Doctor Who, but I definitely don't pretend to understand or care about Doctor Who fans.
>>
>he's a Death Grips fan
At least OP only listens to music for children.
It's a Disney commercial enterprise, what did you expect?
>>
File: MC Cry.gif (2 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
MC Cry.gif
2 MB, 400x225
>>63790606
I'm only realizing this after seeing the movie. It was just a blatant copy and paste of the first movie, there was nothing memorable or creative about it, and it relied on the glory of the original trilogy. Such a shame that the only way the industry feels that it can recreate the magic is to copy it instead of doing something new.
>>
>>63792107
>Death Grips is primarily band for edgy teens
LOL
>>
>>63790606
This generation had it's star wars's, they were called the twilight saga, the harry potter saga, the middle earth movies and MCU. What more do you want?

>>63791864
Oh my, you are so deep and enlightened, not like us plebs. We just like star wars because we are mindless sheep who can't appreciate the depth other pieces of complex art provide

:^)
>>
File: ktt.jpg (66 KB, 613x677) Image search: [Google]
ktt.jpg
66 KB, 613x677
>>63792165
no love deep pleb
>>
File: 11333.jpg (81 KB, 300x397) Image search: [Google]
11333.jpg
81 KB, 300x397
>>63790606
>>63790849
>>63791158
>>63791851
>>63791864
>>63792107
>>63792189
>>63792203
>>63792315
OMG OMG OMG I LOVE death Gripsu~!!!!
THEY ARE JUST SO LE EPIC FRICKING AWESOME XDDD and misterious (like me) O_o….. with their fucking COOL AS FUCK SHOUTING. This is REAL MUSIC, unlike that mainstream Kanye Shit n Nikki Migarb(age)
Hell why cant more bands be this cool (i only listen to real music like radiohead, tame impala, gorillaz, pink floyd, the list goes on and on and on...)!!!!!!!!they have majestic and TERRIYFIENG songs (like “it goes” and “get got”) I mean. Real music should be EDGY!!! DARK!!! DANGEROUS!!! (…like my soul>_<), not boring and stupid
They even had a PINK FLOYD SONG on one of their songs (but it was about sex, and that is just stupid because thats like all those rapper’s who rap about hoes and drugs) but they are just so COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!
Also, the black guy (i think he’s on their first albums cover and his OMG OMG PENIS XDXDXDXD was on one of theirs two (and i wanna suck it ;333)) speaks about real THINGS like stopping the corrupt government!!! He’s right, because obama (bin laden) is a terrorist!!!
When I grow up I want to be on the v, on that yellow pill shit and just fuck kill steal shit too, so I can be like death grips……
so guys what music do you think matches the awesomeisty and intensity of death grips!!!?
>>
>>63792346
yikes

>>>/reddit.com/register/
>>
File: Star Wars Japan.jpg (126 KB, 600x425) Image search: [Google]
Star Wars Japan.jpg
126 KB, 600x425
The glory days. Neo-Star Wars will never be as significant as the originals. SW should have been allowed to gracefully ride off into the sunset, but instead Hollywood necrophiliacs have dug up its corpse for another round of exploitation, instead of making a standalone original work for this generation of Star Wars' seminal nature.
>>
File: 1426948222214.jpg (23 KB, 240x251) Image search: [Google]
1426948222214.jpg
23 KB, 240x251
>>63792315
>Death Grips is a forward thinking band with and awareness about history but the intelligence to realize you can't repeat greatness by imitating it because the things that were great were great because they were innovative and unique. It's a very appropriate image choice.
Holy fuck, do /tv/ posters actually believe this? Listen to more music, Jesus Christ.
>>63792453
>>>/Hot Topic/
/r/hhh loves memerap too, anon. Perhaps you would like it there.
>>
>>63792346>>63792346
>what music do you think matches the awesomeisty and intensity of death grips!!!?

The first ones that come to mind are Led Zeppelin and The Doors. It's interesting about the former because there are a lot of similarities.
>>
OF A DARKNESS
THAT PERVADES
ALL THAT IS
AND EVER WAS
>>
>>63791851
See >>63792575
If you actually think Death Grips is anything remotely new you're seriously /r/Music tier.
>>
>>63792575
>Listen to more music, Jesus Christ.
now THAT is RICH

>>>/v/
>>
>>63792575
>reactionary and uninformed comment
>smug and retarded reaction image

You haven't listened to more than 2 songs of theirs and clearly don't know much about them. Ironically you're the faggot here.
>uses the term memerap
How pathetic. Try thinking for yourself for once.
>>
>>63792549
>instead of making a standalone original work for this generation of Star Wars' seminal nature.
exactly. I think people don't care though cause they don't have the imagination to understand that its possible

>>63792681
name me more records that sound like GP and NOTM with a drummer playing IDM on a kit in a pop song format.
>>
File: 1318926442513.png (30 KB, 126x126) Image search: [Google]
1318926442513.png
30 KB, 126x126
>>63792701
>defening
The sign of a true pleb. Death Grips is shit. It's not 2012 anymore, broke ass bitch lmfao.
>>
>>63792771
>implying ANY of these faggots have listened to GP or NOTM

le DAE Death Grips is just IT GOES IT GOES memerap music amirite? XD
>>
>>63792772
>>63792575
You look like a total cunt right now Jesus fuck. Look at yourself.
>>
>>63792346
>so guys what music do you think matches the awesomeisty and intensity of death grips!!!?
joy division

I gotta hold onto my angst

it keeps me sharp

*snaps fingers*

on the edge

*snaps fingers*

where I gotta be

>>63792772
>money store is the only dg album he's heard
YIKES

>>>/minecraft/
>>>/heliumtank/
>>>/youtube/
>>
>>63791851
I agree with you.

But, i do think it has something to do with another thing.

Deep down i think people are into these movies and games because they want become part of a group, to share their tastes and jerk each other about something they consider good because the group think it is.

It's basically Ocarina of Time. Most people from this generation never played it, but they consider it the greatest game of all time because everyone says so. The same applies to Star Wars. It's one of the best trilogies ever, because everyone says so.

It all comes down to memes.
>>
File: hat.jpg (190 KB, 1067x800) Image search: [Google]
hat.jpg
190 KB, 1067x800
>>63792747
>Try thinking for yourself for once.
You dropped your hat, anon.
I've been following Death Grips since Exmilitary in 2011 and caught them on their last tour. They're a good band but you're a fucking idiot if you actually think they're innovative in any respect.
>>63792771
"no"
Why would I spoonfeed my recs to this plebby shit board? See
>industrial hip-hop
>>63792823
>being this triggerkin
>>>/tumblr/
>>63792864
Wah, someone shat on your shitty le innovative meme band. Get fucked, pleb.
>>63792875
>what is the ARG
Their hype peaked in 2012 is what I'm saying. NLDW is their best album.
>>
>>63792955
You have the self-awareness of a doorknob.
>>
>>63792876
And just like Star Wars, people dislike the newer games because it is no longer a groundbreaking series.

Both are generating money by destroying their legacies.
>>
File: 1417645696528.jpg (88 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1417645696528.jpg
88 KB, 1024x768
>>63792982
You have the musical breadth of knowledge of a redditor.
>>
>>63792955
Their "innovation" primarily revolves around their image and aesthetic, you complete fucking autist.

And you haven't even refuted that guy's post talking about their actual musical innovation. Which defeats your entire argument. You're pathetic and sad.

>NLDW is their best album
>"I'm a fedora but I project by calling others fedoras"
>>
>>63793042
>another smug reaction image
sad
>>
File: 1385005726046s.jpg (2 KB, 125x112) Image search: [Google]
1385005726046s.jpg
2 KB, 125x112
>>63793054
>what is rock music
Jesus lmao
>>63793087
Get fucked.
>>
>>63793129
Name one band that has used V-drums specifically in the way Zach Hill did on NOTM.
>>
File: kek.jpg (10 KB, 350x234) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
10 KB, 350x234
>>63793054
>>
>>63792955
>"no"
>Why would I spoonfeed my recs to this plebby shit board? See
i didn't ask for that. I asked for something very specific that you are unable to do because you are full of shit. I am well aware of industrial hip hop.
>>
File: 1425336883335.jpg (12 KB, 241x187) Image search: [Google]
1425336883335.jpg
12 KB, 241x187
>>63794505
>>63793187
I straight up told you I'm not giving you my recs. If you actually attribute to to me being full of shit I don't care at all. Get fucked.
>>
>>63794668
you straight up are full of shit.

>I actually know what I'm talking about but wont prove it cause you aren't worth my recs

That is the most predictable fedora thing anyone in your position can say. You are a joke.
>>
File: helplesschild.jpg (39 KB, 468x631) Image search: [Google]
helplesschild.jpg
39 KB, 468x631
>>63794785
>being this mad I refuse to spoonfeed you
Stars Wars really /is/ for pathetic manchildren!
>>
>>63790606
>is anyone else irked to see so many people excited about Star Wars?
No, I have a social life.
>>
>>63790606
>is anyone else irked to see so many people excited about Star Wars?

No, because seeing other people enjoying and being excited about stuff doesn't bother me.

If they enjoy it, then good for them
>>
>>63794855
you really are a moron if you think I like star wars after reading my thread.

Your recs are not needed. You haven't got any access to different information than anyone else. No one asked you for recs. The fact you think you are being asked for recs shows how little you know about music. Anyone more knowledge able would not think twice about it and actually make a reasoned comparison instead of just name dropping some so called 'recs' You obviously aren't capable of even either way of discussing.
>>
File: woah_nigga.jpg (57 KB, 392x500) Image search: [Google]
woah_nigga.jpg
57 KB, 392x500
>>63795055
lol embarrassing delete this post immediately
>>
>>63795133
You really are the best kind of troll. Unbearably stupid enough so as to leave zero doubt to others they are superior, while still bumping the thread. My only recommendation is get some less basic reaction pics.
>>
>>63795270
>so then I told LA Reid to go fuck himself!!!! xDDD
>and you know what the album cover was? Do you want to know? The cover? To the album? Was my DICK! AHAHAHAHAHA XD XD XP
lol Death Grips more like Death Memes
>>
>>63792346
>J.J. Abrams Disney Reddit Star Wars apologists don't like DG
not even surprised tbqh
>>
File: 1442817201182.jpg (95 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1442817201182.jpg
95 KB, 640x640
>>63795375
>>
>>63795433
See >>63794855
>>63795448
Yo anon check out Odd Future, the Insane Clown Posse, and Limp Bizkit if you like DG. Totally siqq on fleek nu metal horrorcore edgerap, fåm.
>>
I just didn't think it was that good.

It wasn't bad, it was just fine.

The friend I saw it with thought it was fucking incredible, she was super excited about everything about it, wouldn't stop talking about what bits were the most perfect.

I want to call her a mindless pleb driven into a frenzy of hivemind zeitgeist apologism by Disney's rampant marketing monster but instead I just pretended I also thought it was great.

Am I weak?
>>
>>63795710
>Am I weak?
put it this way, I hope your friend has someone else to fuck them cause you haven't got the balls.
>>
>>63795710
Set that pleb cunt straight. Women don't wanna fuck some kinda pussy.
>>
>>63792346
i bet you're a huge nicki minaj and kanye fan
>>
>>63796080
>projecting this hard
>>
>>63795598
>Odd Future, the Insane Clown Posse, and Limp Bizkit
lol!

how old are you?
>>
>>63796276
I just graduated seventh grade. DEATH GRIPS RULEZ!!!!!!
>>
>>63790606
The new trilogy will be iterative, safe and lowest-common-demominator stuff. The movies will never ever be deemed classics that people come back to. Just popcorn fodder.
>>
>>63796328
you're too young to be listening to death grips young man, let alone to be browsing this art board

don't you have any nice video game you can play?
>>
>>63796550
>implying I don't have the super obscure edgerap up my sleeves
lmfao bitch please, get got. I'm on that v that yellow pill shit, fuck who's watching. Too many hoz in my mothafuckin meal. Think you got what it takes, come up and get me. Your life's a white flag.
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.