[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
WHY WAS THE REPUBLIC SO FUCKING WEAK?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33
File: Starb8.jpg (260 KB, 1018x1012) Image search: [Google]
Starb8.jpg
260 KB, 1018x1012

>blow up one system (seriously, ONE)
>the entire Republic wiped out, including all bases and fleets apparently

WHAT?

That's like nuking DC and suddenly America is completely and utterly defenseless.

Also, what exactly was the Resistance supposed to be? A taskforce?

How was it a "resistance" if it was under the authority of the de facto government?

And there's NOTHING else left of the Republic?
>>
The Republic command planet rotates frequently. That was the Hosnian system. Chandrila was the previous one, etc. It's not like the entire Republic was suddenly gone.
>>
It's not like nuking DC, more like nuking DC, New York, Chicago and all the other major cities at once.
>>
I was convinced that they had nuked Coruscant with the huge deal they made out of it. So they blew up an unknown planet no body ever heard of from the movies, you can't expect the audience to feel any sympathy for that. The more I think about it, the more they should have just nuked Coruscant and shown images of the galactic senate and old jedi temple being destroyed, it would have been a much more familiar and powerful reaction.
>>
>>63789723
>I didn't pay attention to the opening crawl
The republic and the resistance are not the same thing.
The republic wasn't destroyed it just lost a couple planets.
>>
>>63789876
They attacked several planets (or possibly one planet and several moons) within a single system, so no it's not. And it still doesn't explain why the whole fleet was suddenly gone. That'd be like all 10+ US carrier battlegroups stationed at Pearl Harbor.

>>63789809
And no one else could help them launch their attack on Discount Death Star?
>>
>>63790096
The Republic was supporting the Resistance.

And that still doesn't explain what the Resistance is or why it's even a Resistance if it works under the auspices of the Republic.
>>
>>63789723
> blow up two Death Stars (seriously, TWO)
> the entire Empire wiped out, including all bases and fleets apparently

I mean it's still retarded, but yeah.
>>
the thing that's bugging me is, what was the first order's problem with the republic in the first place? what the fuck was their motivation to destroy them?
none of this is explained.
>>
>>63790302
It's self explanatory, they usurped their empire and they want it back.
>>
>>63790173

The Republic and Resistance don't get along. They tolerate each other, but Resistance isn't the Republic's army. Mon Mothma also initially beefed up defenses but over time other Republic leaders decided to push it out a bit further. They're spread sorta thin, the galaxy is a big place to police.

Leia is considered a tarnished person by the Republic, she had an emissary on Hosnia Alpha that represents her though.

Re-read the crawl and the artbook
>>
>>63790173
This. The First Order just blew up a star system and all the Republic responds with is some shitty rebels? The political situation made even less sense than the Starkiller.
>>
>>63790302
They took their power and the planets they controlled.
>>
The First Order should have played the role of the Rebellion of the first trilogy: that of an insurgency force, or even a terrorist organization. I have no idea why there was a "Resistance" if the reigning power is the Republic.

I really liked the movie but yeah that didn't make sense.
>>
>>63790131

Plot contrivances. Kind of necessary since all semblance of backstory has been retconned.

I'm sure that Disney will sell some sort of novella or get marvel to do a comic series on the exact reasons why.
>>
>>63790302
Presumably they were inheritors of the Empire's legacy, but possibly even more extreme so like terrorists.

What should be bugging you is that they had time to build a fucking Super Death Star without the Republic ever trying to stop them.

The Resistance was meant to check them, but only waited until they killed billions before making a move.
>>
>>63790370
>artbook

We've gone all the way back when the only way to get some background is to read the EU bullshit that soley serves as licensing revenue.
>>
File: Grand_army_formation.jpg (208 KB, 1800x767) Image search: [Google]
Grand_army_formation.jpg
208 KB, 1800x767
>>63790408
>the republic still has no army
Miss us yet?
>>
>>63790204
Never said it was "wiped out" desu. I mean, do you even Thrawn?
>>
The solar system they blew up makes no sense. There are like 6 habitable planets in one system and they blow up 5 at the same time with our heroes luckily on the sixth?
>>
>>63790485
>>63790370
>>63790173
>>63790096

It sounds to me that they just cut and pasted the word "resistance" from "rebels" without any clarification on what the fuck they're antagonizing; Resisting/rebelling against what?

First Order are space nazis again, i get that. But I dont see a huge fleet nor any sort of authority like when they occupied Mos Eisley.
>>
>>63790497
what video game is this from?
>>
>>63790640
Republic Commando

never forget
>>
>>63790632
agree
>>
File: 1352392796001.jpg (100 KB, 435x433) Image search: [Google]
1352392796001.jpg
100 KB, 435x433
You know how Russia supports rebels in eastern ukraine or how USA supports opposition in Syria? That's what the republic and resistance is.

You literally have to be 7 years old or retarded not to figure this out you dumb cunt
>>
>>63790640
That's a prequel. They were that bad.
>>
>>63789809

Was this ever explained in the movie or is this some stupid new EU bs?
>>
And what about the resistance having only a dozen x-wings to attack a fucking planet? Where are the other wings? The other big ships?
>>
>>63791409
Also, Mr Nazi General promises Kylo he will send his elite clone troopers to retrieve bb8.
Se sends 2 stormtroopers on foot and 2 Tie Fighters...

Are we seeing a fight between two extremely impoverished forces? It's horrible
>>
>>63791446
They probably spread out their forces to every settlement on Jakku so naturally they weren't concentrated.
>>
>>63791649
Why would they do that? They followed the burning Tie fighter
>>
>>63791756
Competing scavenger camps around the site of the battle? You're making it a bigger deal than it is.
>>
the republic and empire still exist and control different parts of the galaxy. neither one wants to start yet another huge galactic war, so they're unofficially supporting the new order/resistance without officially declaring war so they can save face with their citizens but still try to fuck over the other guys. new order is basically isis
>>
>>63791446
>Also, Mr Nazi General promises Kylo he will send his elite clone troopers to retrieve bb8.

Kylo specifically rejects that offer saying his troopers can get the job done.
>>
>>63791946
>The empire still exists

Source on that?
>>
>>63791946
>the republic and empire still exist and control different parts of the galaxy.
source on this?
>>
>>63790970
But then what is the First Order?

The Empire is gone, the sith emperor got thrown off a bridge and the whole station exploded. The Republic should be sovereign government of the galaxy. What the fuck is the New Order then? "arose from the ashes from the empire" so a bunch of moffs decided to middle finger the republic and made their own secret club? Then they're more like rebels than the resistance actually is.
>>
>>63791946
I thought that its established that First Order IS the empire remnants.
>>
>>63790457
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Journey_to_Star_Wars:_The_Force_Awakens
>>
>>63790993

>George, you only really have like forty soldiers close enough to the camera to matter, you could actually suit some guys up and have them stand in front of a matte painting, it'd make things much more realisti--

>SHUT UP I'M SMARTEST
>>
>>63792045
Killing head of state does not make the state disintegrate. There is already new canon explaining what happened between OT and ST.

Empire survived and continued fighting the rebellion (Battle of Jakku was actually larger in scale than and happened after the battle of yavin) for years.

The way i see it republic eventually made peace with what was left of the empire (First order) and instead of fighting them directly started covertly backing the resistance.
>>
File: memechicken.jpg (6 KB, 249x242) Image search: [Google]
memechicken.jpg
6 KB, 249x242
>>63790970
>Russia supports rebels in eastern Ukraine
>>
>>63790499
>do you even Thrawn?
retcon'd...there is no Thrawn :^)
>>
File: geldjudengott.jpg (43 KB, 281x345) Image search: [Google]
geldjudengott.jpg
43 KB, 281x345
>>63792064
The crawl was very ambiguous on purpose.

This detail will likely be visited by some sort of videogame/comic/novel.
>>
>>63792169
Shit meant battle of endor, my bad.
>>
File: 29387289.gif (498 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
29387289.gif
498 KB, 400x225
I imagine the Republic have become lazy and corrupt as usual and haven't been fighting the First Order so the 'Resistance' took it upon themselves.
I imagine the Republic would have launched a gigantic assault against the First Order but the Resistance were the first on scene, being the first ones targeted.
>>
>>63791995
Really? I thought kylo lost that discussion
>>
>>63790173
So resistance is now basically a glorified para-military group working in enemy territory supported by the republic. So a bit like ISIS then, am I right?
>>
>>63792324
>So resistance is now basically a glorified para-military group working in enemy territory supported by the republic
well yes kind of

>So a bit like ISIS then, am I right?
what
>>
>>63792038
>>63792030
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Aftermath
>>
>>63792324
more like the mujahideen in afghanistan in the 70s
>>
>>63792211
I liked the time when those novels and vidya were addition to movies and fileld the gaps that weren't told by Lucas or ignored due to its irrelevancy to his idea. A true expansions of the universe that existed and not elaboration and excuses for plot holes.

Basically Disney turned new EU into massive DLC for Disney Wars.

This is it folks, you heard it here first. Sell movie in chunks that don't make sense. Screencap this - next thing they will do is introduce season pass for future movies.
>>
>>63792324
>>63792449
It's like fucking Star Wars: The Force Awakensâ„¢
>>
>>63789723
Hey, the Proud Resistance has to win by themselves.
Victory by allying with opposition plants a bad idea in people's minds.

Single tear shed, never forgetti, long live Resistance.
>>
>>63792461
The movie (as bad as it is) does make sense. Anyone with half of brain would figure all that stuff on their own f.am
>>
>>63792283
>>63792169
More plot contrivances then. Not one point in the movie was there a republic fleet.

There should have been a HUGE response from republic ships once the Starkiller was fired, every vessel would have mustered now that the resistance were shown to be "in the right" all along.
>>
Its a kids movie m8
>>
>>63792175
You're late Ivan. Your president literally admitted it yesterday. Look it up.
>>
>>63792529
>Not one point in the movie was there a republic fleet.
Because it was destroyed by the starkiller.
have you even watch the movie senpai
>>
File: epicchickenmeme.jpg (135 KB, 1333x1000) Image search: [Google]
epicchickenmeme.jpg
135 KB, 1333x1000
>>63792540
>[Citation Needed]
>>
File: 1430841380528.jpg (66 KB, 399x382) Image search: [Google]
1430841380528.jpg
66 KB, 399x382
>>63790408
The comic talks about how one of the leaders of the new Republic went full retard and demilitarized 90% or something like that of their army, after they defeated the Empire. Hence they got fucked in the ass when the First Order showed up.
>>
Anyone else wondering what the ending was about?
They =?
>>
>>63792529
Not only that, but both the Order and the Resistance say the Republic fleet is out of the picture... presumably all of it or at least the bulk of it.

Doesn't make any sense that they would all be in the same system in the first place.
>>
>>63791946
I'm pretty sure if ISIS nuked washington all bets would be off and the idea of proxy wars would be out the window as basically everyone turned syria into a crater.

Lets be honest here the only reason this all played out is for drama, if the republic just showed up with a full army and just completely demicated the planet, there'd be no drama.
>>
>>63792606
>>63792175
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-russia-putin-ukraine-idUSKBN0U019G20151217
>>
>>63792650
they had to edit all of the dialogue out of the scene because it made audiences like the movie less.

the leaks pretty much confirm Luke is Rey's dad and Luke was going to tell her, but the scene didn't work.

most likely, TWO cheesy "I am you are father :D" scenes in one movie just made people laugh and killed any heartfelt emotions.
>>
>>63792589
The killer blew up like four planets.

The New Republic presumably spanned the whole galaxy.

Losing a few planets should not cause you to lose more than a fraction of your forces, let alone your whole fucking military.
>>
>>63789723

Guys, Starkiller is supposed to be the size of a planet, right?

So uhh, what's with those windows around the big death-dealing laser? Wouldn't those windows be the size of Rhode Island?

Imagine walking towards a window that big, or hell driving by one.
>>
Snoke sure is a big guy
>>
Exactly.
And why wouldnt the repulic react with violence at the order for destroying the system?
>>
>>63792064
theres a trilogy of canon novels that fill the gaps between 6 and 7. only the first one has been published so far but the empire and republic are both active. i extrapolated a bit, those could end with the empire pretty much gone, so the first order MAY be all thats left by the time of the movie. i forget the actual line in the movie but the resistance is definitely not part of the republic, but has a sort of soft "unofficial" support from them like the US did in WW1 and when the soviets invaded afghanistan.

which stands to reason, a fledgling republic wouldn't want to get embroiled in yet another war so soon after the galactic civil war. they have to maintain face with their citizens and prove they can maintain order
>>
>>63789723
So three out of seven Star Wars movies have ended with a Giant planet/weapon being blown up? Is the Empire stupid or lazy writers?
>>
>>63792788
For you
>>
File: 1450440827331.jpg (98 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1450440827331.jpg
98 KB, 600x800
>>63790580
It makes even less sense when you realize they weren't in that system. They were on Takodana when Starkiller base blew up the Hosnian system. They could see the laser in real time from a quarter of the fucking galaxy away when it should have taken literally millenia for the light to reach them. And the planets that blew up looked like they were about as far away as the moon.

What the fuck JJ
>>
>>63792589
apparently the republic are sitting around doing jack shit.
>>
>>63792769
They targeted these planets because they housed republic's navy, destroying most of it in process. Concentrating sizeable portion of armed forces in one place is not that rare even IRL.

See - Great White Fleet

We dont know why the bulk of republic's navy was in one place. It could be demosntration of strength like great white fleet, it could be preparing for attacking the first order. But its not nonsensical.
>>
I thought order planet moved around
>>
>>63792814
>Shit movie doesn't explain back story or >plot
> "HURR DUR U GOTTA READ THE EU NOVELS"
It's like fucking dlc for a movie ffs, no wonder it was directed and made by jews
>>
Just seen it.
What a fucking disappointment.
I had hopes JJ would do a modern take at Star Wars. Add some sense to it while keeping the spirit. Nay, fuck that. He makes another fairy tale instead.
White stormtroopers. Wow, really again? THE FUCKING PREQUELS could have the clones use camouflage.
Finn has refused shooting at the villagers, everyone is OK, but when he OH MY GOD REMOVES THE HELMET Captain Brienne is all up his grill.
Rey has been digging throughout a ruined SD for a day, but her face is clean as a photomodel's.
TIE fighter has a backseat gunner now, because otherwise Finn would have othing to do during the MY ASS DRAMATIC ESCAPE. Yeah right, an air superiority fighter needs one as fuck.
And that's just what I can clearly remember. There's tons of that shit.
Fun part is that Finn, the nigger everyone was afraid would spoil the movie as fuck, is not nearly as bad as Rey is. She's like the worst part of it. First scene, she's become force sensitive. Second, she actively resists a fucking heir to Darth Vader and an experienced force user. Third, she mindcontrols a stormtrooper. Fouth, she's on par with Kylo Ren with a lightsaber, despite holding it for the first fucking time.
That's the damn point about this whole thing. It doesn't have people being people. It has heroes being heroes. Kylo fucking Ren, the guy with the face of a straight-out /b/tard is the most believable of them all, because his non-intimidating face actually adds another side to him. It makes him more real. Real people have more sides to them than just one, but the heroes of this shit? Except for him, and maybe Finn who also sometimes overdoes his antics, and suffers it, nope.
>>
I fucking hate star wars fans, when I saw it last night a girl in high school dressed in a wookie snuggie told me my breathing was really annoying and that I needed to blow my nose. This was before the trailers mind you.
>>
>>63792969
>what is Pearl Harbor.
>>
>>63792957
So they're doing what they always did.
Isn't that what the Rebellion wanted?
Enjoy realizing that the Rebellion was pointless from the moment it was created.
>>
>>63789723

why do you think the republic was defeated in that one attack? they never said that anywhere and obviously they can fight back
>>
File: Republic_Fleet_(KOTOR).jpg (223 KB, 1022x671) Image search: [Google]
Republic_Fleet_(KOTOR).jpg
223 KB, 1022x671
I heard its because the new republic wanted to be demoliterized, sorta like how the old republic was before the clone wars

Hopefully the republic grows some balls in the next movie
>>
>>63793015
It's an excuse to attack the Imperial Remnant and the First Order with everything they've got.
Space Pearl Harbor, basically.
>>
>>63792979
M9 i haven't read anything from the EU and even I figured that shit out. Not being retarded is all it takes f.am.
>>
>>63789723

I was confused by the whole Republic/Resistance thing. The Rebellion was setting up a new Republic in 6, so why do they need a resistance force? Is the Resistance supposed to be like the Tea Party or something? They support the republic but not the government?

Did they mention the Republic turned evil and I just missed it?
>>
>>63793024
>You'll never see these awesome ship designs show up in any of the movies.
>>
So it sucks up a sun to fuel it's laser? Why not just suck up the sun on the system you want to destroy?
>>
>>63793055
>people this retarded are itt RIGHT NOW
>>
>>63793024
It's exactly how the United States got into World War II. The U.S was natural until the yellow nips attacked is
>>
>>63791995
Wasnt it the pther way arpund?

Didnt Hux insist on using his conscripts when Kylo felt they should have developed a clone army instead?
>>
File: NebulaClassSD-EGTW.jpg (244 KB, 1920x816) Image search: [Google]
NebulaClassSD-EGTW.jpg
244 KB, 1920x816
>>63793057
Feels bad man

The EU is better than the canon when it comes to ship designs
>>
>>63793070
You can shoot pew pew beams through hyperspace with the death planet.
>>
>>63793045
>Read someone's summary of the EU on /tv/ after you watched TFA
>"Yeah I figured it out myself during the movie even though its never explained"

Sure u did buddy
>>
File: 1438023185412.jpg (15 KB, 364x344) Image search: [Google]
1438023185412.jpg
15 KB, 364x344
>>63793084
>natural
I do believe you mean neutral, good anon.
>>
>>63793084
>neutral
>>
>>63790302
The republic was funding rebels (the resistance) within the first orders territory - which makes me think that they weren't actually at war - thus the proxy war. I guesd there is a fullout galactic war in the next movies.
>>
>>63793040
Literally this. Its not like that much time passed between starkiller bombarding the republic and the movie's end, so the republic could just be scrambling forces and regrouping what's left of it's navy in preparation for attacking the first order.
>>
>>63790073

I'm glad they didn;t because I'm still pissed at JJ for blowing up Vulcan AND Romulus in Star Trek for no other reason because he is a Michael Bay-esque hack who likes seeing things explode.

Maybe the original idea was to nuke Coruscant but there was pushback against that, because it'd be a huge fucking deal in the Star Wars universe
>>
>>63793135
The United States was neutral and is natural.
Yes, autocorrect is a ducking peace of sheet.
>>
They should have made the First Order like the Rebellion, a bunch of terrorists fighting for what they believe is right (though in this case is wrong).
>>
>>63793024
At this point well never see Nar Shaddaa in a movie either even though it's one of the iconic location of the Star Wars expanded universe
>>
>>63793121
Are you even serious right now?

Its explicitly stated that the republic is covertly backing the resistance.
Its also explicitly stated that the first order is what's left of the empire and that it's not directly in war with the rebellion.

Not being braindead is LITERALLY all it takes to figure that out
>>
Are stormtroopers raised by the frist order by birth? How come finn didnt have a name?
>>
The Republic is more like the UN than a galactic government.
>>
>>63793238
Another thing that is pretty obviously stated in the movie m9.
>>
>>63793238
>Are stormtroopers raised by the frist order by birth?
Yes, the ginger leader laddy said so in the movie.
>How come finn didnt have a name?
Because cereal numbers are better.
>>
>>63793217
Fuck, I meant to originally reply to someone else who was saying shit from the TFA comic and artbook
>>
>>63793156
The republic will turn their economy into a war one and stop being neutral pacifists because of this attack.
Fuck, Leia and company probably knew about the attack and allowed it to happen so the Imperial Remnant/First Order can be crushed.
I wonder who the space Soviets will be in this World War II in space. Some insect race?
>>
>>63792872
ITS A FUCKING MOVIE, IT DOESNT HAVE TO BE REAL, THERE ARE FUCKING SPACE WIZARDS.
DEAL

WITH

IT
>>
>>63793238
Yeah. There was an interesting dynamic between Hux and Kylo: Hux wanted to raise kidnapped(?) children into soldiers while Kylo wanted to use clones, also Hux was begging Snoke to allow him to use the superweapon while Kylo was against it.
>>
>>63793259
The Republic == Allied Powers, the Empire == Axis Powers.
>>
>>63792492
> mfw peace in the ME is finally achieved by Disney suing ISIS
>>
>>63790302
BECAUSE THEY'RE THE BAD GUYS AND THEY DON'T LIKE THE GOOD GUYS

Jesus you people read into these movies too much
>>
>>63793301
This is the cold war turning into ww3 in space more than straight up ww2 in space
>>
>>63793217
But at what scale?

The movie made a simple chase look super cool but cant have the budget to make one giant space-fleet battle against a space-station the size of a planet? Where is the epic space-opera I was told was gonna happen and not the goonies in space?
>>
>>63793300
Well i'm the guy you replied to and i'll have to agree with the other guy. Anyone with half of brain can atleast guess what was confirmed in the new eu.
>>
>>63793084
Except they weren't. They were sending military supplies to Britain and screwing with Japan's oil supply
>>
>>63793351
And the Death Planet attack == Space Pearl Harbor.
Shit is about to get real, son.
I, for one, look forward towards Space Rommel fighting in Tatooine.
>>
>>63793386
Its fucking star wars.

It's been that way since the fucking 70s.
>>
>>63793351
The allegory for TFA would be more like
>New Republic - USA
>First Order - Syria
>Resistance - FSA that is if fsa still existed
>>
>>63793403
The U.S. didn't go into full military economy mode until Pearl Harbor. That was the casus belly required for the U.S. to go super saiyan.
>>
>>63793386
That's the point. It's fucking not 70s anymore. These movies should get more believable to be good by the modern standards.
>>
>>63793070
Why not both?
>>
>>63793460
Casus Belli! FUCK YOU AUTOCORRECT!!,
>>
>>63793455
Or basically every proxy war that the US and Soviets fought since the Truman doctrine
>>
>>63793482
Are you implying that movies in the 70s weren't believable?
>>
>>63789723

I was confused as to why the Republic even still exists... considering Sheev like... took everything over and made it all into the Empire?

I thought SW at this moment was like Empire runs everything, rebels fighting them, random people like Lando and Jabba on the outskirts.
>>
I'm going to be so disappointed if Snoke isn't actually as large as in the hologram ie. if he was just magnified image in this movie. His size made him intimidating.
>>
>>63793337

Fuck you kid, if it weren't for the nerds that kept this stupid franchise alive for almost 40 years they wouldn't make this movie at all.
>>
>>63793507
Kind of. But that would be two major powers supporting two sides in small conflict.
This is more like US supporting mujahedeen in the 80s or Russia supporting separatists in eastern Ukraine. But yeah its kind of.

>>63793530
now this is one shit bait
>>
>>63793525
Well the original 3logy is not. By the modern standards, at least. It's a fairy tale with fucking space wizards. While what people need is Game of Thrones. You see the methapor?
>>
>>63793536
He's a manlet.

Size matters not.
t. Yoda
>>
>>63793530
They obviously wanted to go back to that time of the galactic civil war but instead made a hamfisted backstory to explain why the Battle of Endor did literally nothing.
>>
>>63793536
It would be cool if he was a human that was born on a low gravity planet, so he's tall and spindly as fuck. Even humans would differ significantly due to the different gravities.
A high gravity planet would create Tolkien-style dwarves and low gravity would create creepy elves.
>>
Hux is a JFK that chose to nuke Russia because of Cuba.
>>
>>63793598
>death of head of state and destruction of one battlestation making empire spanning millions of worlds with trillions upon trillions of citizens fall apart makes more sense than this
ayy
>>
>>63793652
Another correct metaphor.
>>
>>63793579
Except Star Wars is for children and Game of Thrones isn't.
>>
Some people here are posting that they wanted the First Order to be like an insurgency?
Can you even have a totalitarian hugo boss wearing group of people as insurgents?
Does that even work?
Guerilla nazis?
>>
>>63793725
>Destruction of one system cripples the entire galactic government

Is everything in star wars built like the fucking deathstar? You shoot one thing and it dies?
>>
>>63793866
Isis has some pretty stylish gear
>>
>>63793598
>>63793570

So is the Empire part of the Republic but they just hate them? Why isn't the Empire just bombing the fuck out of the Republic if they want to take over? I don't get it.
>>
>>63794053
>So is the Empire part of the Republic but they just hate them?
what the fuck are you talking about
>>
>>63793460
>casus belly
fucking kek
>>
>>63793892
Not really. Them preparing to fire for second time actually shows that republic is still a force.

They just put republic navy out of action, and thats not really unbelivable. I mean its assumed that if americans werent lucky enough to keep aircraft carriers out pearl harbor at the time of the attack (which was just a pure coincidence, not some strategic decision) the pacific fleet would be crippled for up to a year.
>>
Anyone know where i can find the Lin-Manuel Miranda bit of music in the cantina/watering hole scene?

I liked it, downloaded the soundtrack to give it a listen but its not actually on there which is a nightmare
>>
>>63789723
I assumed this had been a cold war like situation. Following the original trilogy, the empire was seriously dismantled and a power vacuum created. What was left of the empire became the new order controlling some of its old territory. However the new republic was created taking over territory the old republic once held. The two had a temporary truce but the resistance fights proxy wars on behalf of the republic so the republic can oppose the new order and push it back without taking responsibility.
Now someone tell me why my theory is wrong
>>
>>63794371
>Now someone tell me why my theory is wrong
It isnt.
also its first order, not new order
>>
>>63789723
>WHY WAS THE REPUBLIC SO FUCKING WEAK?

It was a condemnation of democracy and liberalism. Once again it never worked and the only way for people to progress is with strong conservative leadership.
>>
>>63794149
I know, I'll fucking kill this autocorrect nigger.
>>
>>63794226
I'm sure the Mon Calamari fleet was unharmed.
>>
who was the resistance resisting?
>>
Am I the only one who had a hard on for mother fucking pod "ace combat" Cameron "the top gun"?
>>
>>63789723

I thought the Empire completely took over the Republic and ran basically everything, aside from independents like Cloud City and Tatooine.

The prequels fuck all this up... in Episode 7 they make it seem like the Republic is still there and is a completely separate political entity. Why aren't they at war with the Empire?
>>
>>63793156
Episode 8: Galactic War II
>>
>>63794723
You mean Poe 'The Space Spic' Dameron

>>63794768
shit bait
>>
>>63794723
Lol auto correct

Poe mutherfucking dameron anyone?
>>
>>63794723
That guy was great, I thought he was going to be a cocky dick, but he turned out to be the biggest bro.
>>
>>63794835

Look up what a spic is. If you're going to try to be /pol/ at least be correct.
>>
>>63794522
Galactic civil war reached its' peak 30 years ago. Republic went over period of demilitarisation. For all we know mon calamari fleet could be out of comission for decades.

>>63794863
>getting triggered by a fucking joke
>>>/tumblr/
>>
>>63792991
Should've blown your nose into her snuggie.
>>
>>63789723

Is this Republic the same republic from the shitty prequels, or is is a new government that emerged after the rebels took out the empire at the end of Jedi?
>>
>>63794835
That spic is the best fighter pilot in the galaxy, filthy first order scum
>>
>>63794943
what's up with all the people itt pretending to be retarded
>>
>>63794921

Awww is the edgy little internet racist mad cause he got called out?
>>
>>63793238
they're taken at birth/young enough to not know their names. i dont think it's said if they're kidnapped or given willingly but finn says he was "taken from a family he'll never know"
>>
>>63794977

just someone answer i don't spend all day on wookiepiedia
>>
>>63794835
>>63794977
>>63793570
>bait

If everything is so clearly understandable that even questioning it is bait then I guess I'm officially retarded because the political situation made no sense in this movie.
>>
File: JoinFirstOrder-1500px.jpg (2 MB, 1000x1480) Image search: [Google]
JoinFirstOrder-1500px.jpg
2 MB, 1000x1480
>>63794966
>supporting the republic/first order
enjoy your degeneracy and corruption
>>
>>63793579
the sad thing is, prequels could have been space game of thrones if they were written better, but the political intrigue ended up all just being "palpatine did it"
>>
>>63789723
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Alliance_to_Restore_the_Republic

So the Rebels wanted to restore the old democratic republic, and then succeed, and make a new republic, but then they are still called a "Resistance" instead of just the Republic Army? why?
>>
So the Republic got cucked by space bernie sanders.
>>
>>63795090
>>63795030
You think that the republic in TFA is the same republic as in the prequels.

i dont think 'retardation' sufficiently expresses the extent of your mental disability.
>>
>>63795191

I'm guessing the Resistance wanted a more military solution to the First Order while the Republic wanted to try democracy again. Because that has worked so well in the past.
>>
>>63795191
THEY ARE TWO SEPARATE THINGS U TARD!!!
>>
>>63795191
its literally explicitly explained in the movie. Please refer yourself to >>63794977
>>
>>63789723
a glib facsimile
>>
>>63795157
/pol/ memes aside kylo ren is a better anakin/Darth Vader than anakin/Darth Vader
>>
>>63792193
Thrawn aside, it's logically ridiculous to think there weren't several thousand, if not million, imperials that were unwilling to surrender.
Considering Sheev was voted in, it wouldn't be farfetched to consider that they'd just vote another one as Sheev Palpatine II or some shit.
>>
>>63795314
what's up with people labelling everything /pol/
I'd understand it if someone was spouting shit about finn being nigger or whatever itt but serious question what does that post even have to do with /pol/
>>
Now I know how the hardcore trekkies feel about JJ's Star Trek movies.
>>
I enjoyed the movie, but the Starkiller base, and it's function in the plot, was 100% inexcusably retarded and the movie would've been far better without it.
>>
>>63791310
stupid EU bs, I don't know if new or old, anyway I love how these fucking nerds point these obscure facts in this matter-of-factly way
>>
>>63795380
Because I visit pol a lot and can sniff out the vernacular
>>
>>63793530
they reformed the republic after sheev died. everything was basically like lando and jabba, the only reason they did what the empire wanted is because the empire could blow their fucking planets up if they didn't. without a death star, they didn't have a lot of control

from new hope:

>TARKIN
>The Imperial Senate will no longer
>be of any concern to us. I've just
>received word that the Emperor has
>dissolved the council permanently.
>The last remnants of the Old Republic
>have been swept away.

>TAGGE
>That's impossible! How will the
>Emperor maintain control without the
>bureaucracy?

>TARKIN
>The regional governors now have direct
>control over territories. Fear will
>keep the local systems in line. Fear
>of this battle station.
>>
>>63790632
idiot
>>
>>63795402
this tbqh
It has been implied that building two death stars drained empire's resources heavily. How did small fraction of former empire manage to build something as colossal as starkiller is beyond me.
>>
>>63790423
>The First Order should have played the role of the Rebellion of the first trilogy: that of an insurgency force, or even a terrorist organization. I have no idea why there was a "Resistance" if the reigning power is the Republic.

not being a retard I assumed the new order were controlling a part of the galaxy were a resistance formed, while the republic controlled another part of the galaxy and were funding the resistance, probably to halt the expansion of the empire.

Are you a complete fucking idiot? I hate the nerd thought process sometimes (most of the times).
>>
>>63794943
it's new. thats why they call it the new republic. old republic became the empire, that was the plot of the prequels
>>
>people defending the complete lack of context in the movie because READ THE NOVEL

Actually kill yourselves.
>>
>>63795380
/pol/ calls everyone degenerates
>>
>>63795538

This makes the most sense. There's no reason to assume every single planet sided with the Rebellion when the Empire fell so it's most likely a split with the Republic and the First Order each controlling their parts of the Galaxy.
>>
File: Poe-Dameron.jpg (46 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
Poe-Dameron.jpg
46 KB, 540x540
>>63794835
You mean Poe 'Can't Slow the Poe' Dameron
>>
HAIL SNOKY
>>
>>63795564
>complete lack of context

there was plenty of context though
>>
>>63795538
Yeah you are right.
To everyone acting like idiots itt -
>Empire did not disintegrate after sheev died.
>Rebellion formed New Republic and kept fighting the empire.
>Eventually they signed peace.
>Cold war happens with new republic and remnants of empire (now first order) not really in a war but with republic funding the resistance in a proxy war

>>63795564
I dont think anyone does that. I have not read the novels (And i dont plan to) and i have figured out most of that stuff. I mean its pretty obvious cold war inspired metaphor.
>>
࿘࿗
>>
>>63795722
>not really in a war
Obviously this changes when first order engages the republic directly by destroying bulk of their navy.
>>
>>63792159
A book set a year after endor is your source?

Come on dickface
>>
First of all, it's Empire.

The Empire is too busy fighting multiple wars at the same time while savages knock to their very door and win.
>>
File: things-i-wish-i-didnt-know.jpg (1 MB, 2020x1506) Image search: [Google]
things-i-wish-i-didnt-know.jpg
1 MB, 2020x1506
For the benefit of the people wondering "source?" or "citation needed". This write-up is largely based off material only released in the past few months and is piecemeal information strung together by the author's own fanwank.

Its still disappointing since the era between Endor and AFW seems 10x more interesting than AFW. But will be forever consigned to EU material for other media.

https://web.archive.org/web/20151218212638/http://io9.gizmodo.com/everything-we-know-about-star-wars-post-return-of-the-j-1729549100
>>
>>63794149
Casus tummy
>>
Did anyone have any trouble with the framerate of this movie?
IT felt super fucking low to me.
>>
>>63795817

No it was just you.
>>
>>63795812
>eems 10x more interesting than AFW
It would work well as a war movie or political thriller. But not as the sapce opera about good vs. evil that is the star wars.

They might explore in one of the future anthology movies (That is after they conclude this trilogy, so i am guessing 2020s) as they'll explore different genres with these.
>>
>>63795923

Maybe the Rogue One series will cover it, that could be a good move.
>>
⇨it was memes
>>
>>63795955
Rogue One takes place before the OT. Its abotu stealing the Death Star plans.
>>
>>63795981

Oh well screw that.
>>
File: image.png (408 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
image.png
408 KB, 480x640
The resistance is what was formerly known as the rebels, who fight and fought to liberate systems from the empire. Back in the OT there were not enough independent systems to establish a new republic, but since episode 6 one has begun to form.
The resistance is not exactly the same thing as the republic, they just worry about liberating systems and fucking with the empire to keep free systems safe and to expand democracy.
The resistance does all the fighting and the republic is what naturally came when planets started to be liberated from the empire, they do all the infrastructure and politics and governance and shit while the resistance fucks shit up.
Am I pretty much right?
>>
>>63796040
>The resistance is what was formerly known as the rebels
Stopped reading right there you fucking idiot.
>>
>>63789723
The real question is how some terrorist organization managed to build a massive superweapon without the government even knowing about it. Say what you want, but Sheev ran a tight ship. The chucklefucks in the Republic can't seem to do anything right.
>>
>>63796040
No.
c >>63795722
>>
>>63796084
>sheev ran a tight ship
>lynch pin of the empire destroyed in 1 shot by a no name peasant from a desert on the edge of the galaxy
>murdered by his right hand man
>>
>>63789723
I was under the impression the Resistance operates within First Order space and is only allied with the Republic. But that doesn't explain why the Republic doesn't immediately attack the First Order when their capital gets blown up. In fact we never see or hear of anyone from the Republic government.

I doubt this will ever be explained.
>>
>>63795722
>>63796114
But if the resistance made the republic, why are they now a separate thing and being used as a PMC practically?
>>
>>63793024
Why did every ship use the same color scheme even when it was just some random smuggling vessel?
>>
>>63795923
>one of the future anthology movies
is this a confirmed thing?
I'd love to see stormtrooper adventures or more of the criminal underbelly of the star wars universe
>>
>>63796289
jesus fucking christ

>>63796215
It was explained in the movie. First Order did not blow up Coruscant, they blew up Republic Navy. That is also why Republic doesnt immediately attack the First Order. They simply dont have the forces. They are likely scrambling what's left of their forces and preparing to do so.
>>
>>63795722
>r but with republic funding the resistance in a proxy war

but the republic and resistance started out as the same thing so why is it a "proxy war"
>>
>>63796289

>Rebellion defeats the Empire
>New Republic is established
>Remnants of the Empire form the First Order in their part of the galaxy
>Rebels say "Let's go fuck them up and finish them for good
>New Republic says "Hey now, we're a democracy again and that's not how we do things"
>Resistance "Oh fuck off, we're taking the fight to them"
>Republic "We agree they are a problem but we can't officially condone what you are doing".
>>
>>63796389
That doesn't explain why the resistance and the republic are separate organizations.
>>
>>63796414
>>Rebellion defeats the Empire
>>New Republic is established
>>Remnants of the Empire form the First Order in their part of the galaxy
>>Rebels say "Let's go fuck them up and finish them for good
>>New Republic says "Hey now, we're a democracy again and that's not how we do things"
>>Resistance "Oh fuck off, we're taking the fight to them"
>>Republic "We agree they are a problem but we can't officially condone what you are doing".

lol like 700 posts later and finally someone helpful
>>
>>63796414
Thanks for actually explaining that. Now it's hard to sympathize with the resistance now though.
I'm also hoping we get an idea of how large the first order is and how much of the galaxy it controls, same with the republic
>>
so were the x wing pilots like, cameos?

not talking about the obvious nien nunb, but that really fat guy and the girl specifically

or was it just porkins 2
>>
>>63796395
what the fuck are you talking about

>>63796414
Pretty much this. Although given the presence of high ranking Republic officials such as Leia within the resistance its likely that the resistance was actually funded by republic long time after the peace treaty was signed with the intention of bringing the first order down.

>>63796447
c >>63795722
>>
>>63796511

It's hard to sympathize with them initially but they were right in the end. So there will be no "Resistance" in the next movies, just the Republic versus the First Order.
>>
is there a clip on the internet anywhere of the nazi speech?
>>
>>63796447
A resistance operates within a state, and a republic is a state.
>>
>>63792872
is that Rakata Prime on that map? is KOTOR stuff still canon then?
>>
>>63793057
The last scene with Luke was actually on Rakata Prime, the map he left behind was the same that Revan and Malak used.
>>
>>63796795
Obviously meant for>>63796722
>>
>>63792780
>driving
>>
>>63790993

HURR
>>
>>63796795
>>63796830
holy shit, seriously? i hope they aren't just grabbing names from old shit and decide to keep the old republic around.
>>
File: 1421968414345.jpg (348 KB, 1452x2000) Image search: [Google]
1421968414345.jpg
348 KB, 1452x2000
>>63796795
pls be true
>>
>>63797288
That is precisely the reason they said all of the old republic shit was not cannon.

So they can repurpose it to fill their own plot holes.
>>
File: 1446352781020.jpg (41 KB, 636x477) Image search: [Google]
1446352781020.jpg
41 KB, 636x477
>>63797369
>>63796795
>the Lucasfilm Story Group's Pablo Hidalgo, author of The Force Awakens Visual Dictionary, confirmed the map's canon status.
>>
Spin-off bait. Previously there were three movies thet were enjoyable on their own with EU built around them. Now there will be three movies with links to shitload of books, comics, spin-offs and you need to read them all to get everything.
You want to know who was that random character who jumped out of nowhere? To bad fuckface, watch Star Wars: Obi Wan Kenobi episode X and Rogue Seven: Episode XX.
>>
Ironically enough, I'm a bigger fan of the KOTOR games than the original movies. I realized this as I didn't care that much when Han died.
>>
>>63797497
>and you need to read them all to get everything.
You dont unless you are literal retard.
>>
File: Ebon_Hawk.png (753 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Ebon_Hawk.png
753 KB, 1280x720
>>63797560
Ebon Hawk > Millennium Falcon
>>
>>63795817
Stop watching pirated copies
>>
File: 1387755073850.png (199 KB, 355x268) Image search: [Google]
1387755073850.png
199 KB, 355x268
>Oh geez, I can't believe a fatal design flaw found its way into our super humongous planet destroying base! Whoops! lol

>This is literally our third time building one of these things after the rebels blew up its two predecessors and we should really know better but let's just make it EXACTLY THE SAME, but bigger!
>>
>>63798461
there were proper defenses this time.
The death star was destroyed by a single well placed shot.
The star killer required that the planet's shields were brought down, and for an entire complex to be destroyed from the inside due to impenetrable armor on the outside.
Their entire offensive was literally only successful because Phasma caved and brought down the shields
>>
>>63798580
>high ranking official
>point a blaster at her
DO WHAT I SAY
>takes all the piss out of her
>turns off shields
>"You guys are gonna get so fucked, I swear to god."
Is there a trash compactor?lel

This movie is fucking stupid any way you look at it.
>>
>>63798580
They should've had Chewie torture Phasma to do it instead of her meekly giving in. A graphic torture scene would have also shut up the annoying american kids in the row in front of me
>>
File: boba_fett.jpg (110 KB, 290x406) Image search: [Google]
boba_fett.jpg
110 KB, 290x406
So is he still in the Sarlacc?
>>
>>63790073
>thinking the prequels will ever be referenced outside of a throw away line

lmao stay mad eubabby
>>
>>63798831

2edgy4me
>>
>>63799504

I was actually expecting him to return in TFA purely based off of the mandalorian flag we see on the outpost.
>>
>>63790970
The galactic empire spans a galaxy. There are probably sectors who despite it being 30 years are unaware of the Emperor even falling. You never see this interplay because of the myopic view of the story always being on the main characters, but rest assured there are many many many different possibilities to explain what happened.
>>
File: 1442579334256.jpg (141 KB, 625x469) Image search: [Google]
1442579334256.jpg
141 KB, 625x469
>>63793579
>what people need is Game of Thrones
>>
>>63792606
>>63792175
>slavs unwilling to admit they're the bad guys even when evidence is shown to their face

I bet you think you live in a democracy and not a dictatorship too
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.