[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Female characters done right
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 11
File: star-wars-the-force-awakens.jpg (70 KB, 475x600) Image search: [Google]
star-wars-the-force-awakens.jpg
70 KB, 475x600
ITT: Female characters done right
>>
you first
>>
>>63784566
>pic unrelated
>>
>>63784566
Hello, my name is Mary Sue...

While it doesn't sink the film for me would it be so bad to have this girl be bad at something? She speaks droid, speaks wookie, is an excellent pilot despite the only thing we are told comes from the character's assertion. I could buy that she is tech savvy spending her life tinkering with old parts and scavenging. But literally she just masters any skill the plot calls for at the moment with just enough skill to save the day.

Come on, a character flaw would be nice.
>>
She's a fucking qt tho.
>>
>>63784566
Not real, but done right.
>>
>>63784819
Exactly.

Having a perfect protagonist without any flaws is the most amateurish thing you can do. It makes for a boring, predictable story. JJ and Kasdan you screenwriting hacks.
>>
>>63784903
She's literally the best female canon character
>>
>>63784930
Yes, so much yes. She is cocky, over confident, fails spectacularly at times because of it. But Asoka grows as a character.

Rey feels like they are playing it too safe, she will likely end up being Luke's daughter to boot thus increasing her sue level another rank.

What really made the prequels suck the life out of SW was the overuse of coincidence connections.. Everyone is related or met before.. It makes the world feel smaller.
>>
>>63784819
>>63784909
Luke was literally like this too
He blew up the death star with barely any traning.

But you faggots wanna stick it to the sjws
>>
She looks like a dejewed Natalie Portman
>>
>>63784566
I liked Rey but she was essentially female hero played safe.
She was the protagonist for the first act and then takes a back seat for Han and then is the protagonist again.
>>
File: cow tools.png (127 KB, 308x389) Image search: [Google]
cow tools.png
127 KB, 308x389
I can't get over her complete inability to show emotions in her face.
>>
>>63785049
Luke was a good pilot, we see his t-16 in the garage. He isn't a litteral homeless scavenger.

Luke is constantly doubting himself. He wants to give up when he can't master a task like the training remote. Even at the end of the film in the trench run he needs another push from obiwon to let the force guide him.

Luke learns confidence, that he, a simple farm boy from nowhere can make a difference.
>>
>>63785042
Same problem with Harry Potter.
>>
>>63784909
PS, you're the one that mentioned SJWs
>>
>>63785049

Obi Wan became Force 10+ Ghost Power and helped Luke hit the bullseye. Obi told Vader that he'd become more powerful than Vader could possibly imagine. So Obi faked Luke's kill. That's why he tells Luke in ROJ that he can't help him anymore against Vader.

Dixie is just a self-insert anything you want her to be. I just hope they put her in leather in the next film and I can jerk off to her camel toe.
>>
>>63785359
Stop bringing logic into this
>>
>>63785389
I'm not the biggest pothead so you might have to explain that one. Harry to me just seems like he is the center of that universe, everything revolves around him.

Any other character is unimportant to the plot and could replaced by someone else.
>>
>>63785259

Pretty much. I actually liked her, and Daisy had something about her that made her endearing to me, but I wish they'd had the courage to give her some flaws. Her only weakness we know about is insecurity about being an orphan, but it has no bearing on the story.
>>
I want to smell her armpits
>>
>>63784819
It is implied that her character flaw is that she is a woman
>>
>>63785049
>luke
>good pilot

Dobbie, his snowspeeder gunner in ESB, wouldn't agree. BECAUSE HE DIED AND LUKE GOT SHOT DOWN BY A FUCKING AT-AT

Wedge's gunner made it out just fine. And Wedge saved luke's ass from a regular ass TIE in the death star attack.
>>
>>63785613

That's why women will never stop complaining, ever, until there are no more of them.
>>
>>63785472
This shitlords, stop your mansplaining.
>>
>>63785049
Fuck you normie, a girl can't be good like this
>>
>>63785763
see
>>63785359
>>
File: luke.jpg (137 KB, 894x1311) Image search: [Google]
luke.jpg
137 KB, 894x1311
>>63785049

Barely any training is still more that literally non at all. Luke had atleast one formal lesson and had witnessed one lightsaber duel.

Rey is naturally perfect and beautiful and confident and amazing at everything on the first try.
>>
>>63785795
and even with some training, he gets #rekt in his duel with vader in ESB
>>
>>63784819
She picks up skills within seconds,
Whether it's her use of the force, to fighting with a light saber, she gains mastery at it all.

By the time the 3rd movie of this trilogy is out, she'll be taking down the entire first order in a final 5 minute battle.
>>
>>63785613
Being a woman isn't a character flaw.
>>
>>63785795
Bitch, she's like a fucking fremen.
She's been living in a hostile desert environment and fighting ugly aliens all her life.
Of course she knows how to fight.
>>
>>63785985

Very true. It's more like a mental deficiency.
>>
Rey was cool, the movie was a rehash when only one important thing happened but all the characters were actually well done.
>>
>>63786023
If that was the only thing wrong I wouldn't mind a single bit. For example the end scene with rey and chewie in the falcon could have been done differently, maybe a quick set of shots where they establish them traveling togeather across half the galaxy, a stop here or there, a hasty get away, chewie helping her learn the falcon a little better. Then disappearing off into hyperspace and roll credits.
>>
>>63786085
>all the characters were actually well done.

Yep, fully baked.
>>
>>63785985
So she's flawless then, perfect in every way.

And therefore utter shit character.

Flaws make a character good and interesting to watch.
>>
File: Rey.png (351 KB, 450x600) Image search: [Google]
Rey.png
351 KB, 450x600
I hope there are more strong, independent, heroic women like Rey in big franchises such as Star Wars. That would make the world a better place.
>>
>>63786023

Kylo Ren has been trained by Luke and Snoke.

Fin has been raised as a stormtrooper since birth.

Rey knows how to survive on her own.
>>
>>63786032
I would love to see her confidence shattered a couple times, or just one good one. As if to say, "no bitch sometimes you DO need help, we all do."
>>
File: tumblr_n4f0rtqAmN1tvo8rjo4_500.jpg (68 KB, 450x692) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n4f0rtqAmN1tvo8rjo4_500.jpg
68 KB, 450x692
Angela Bassett in Strange Days
>>
>>63785700
FUCKING THIS!

Everybody forgets this scene. Luke only got lucky in ANH because Ben was helping him.
>>
>>63786224
>Rey knows how to survive on her own.

I wish they would have left her there.
>>
>>63785700
Wedge was like their top ace tho.
>>
I wonder how all the people justifying her victory now with force magic and stick experience would feel if she continued to easily crush all her opponents with ease in the next 2 movies, eliminating any tension or suspense.
>>
>>63786224
Survive on her own, speaks droid... Speakers wookie, flies a freighter without help, knows how to mind trick people without ever being told about it. Manipulates the force pull on her first try...

Whatever man. It would be implied that she hasn't left that little dustball since she was abandoned there.
>>
>>63786301
New wedge is the shit. A bit too trusting but fuck it I like him.
>>
>>63786341
She's going to be Force-trained next movie.
>>
>>63786443
I'm not complaining that there won't be any possible reason for her being strong, be it innate proficiency or the force. I'm just worried that she is going to continue easily fucking over any opposition she encounters.
>>
>>63786443

I hope someone Force-trains her before then. She's a good looking girl when she's crying.
>>
>>63784819
So she is a female Kyle Katarn
>>
>>63786365
Is it that hard to show her playing with a flight simulator in a downed tie fighter on Jakku during her free time when she's eating?

That would help explain why she's so good at piloting because she had nothing to do except practice. Instead she's a magically amazing pilot who manages to outfly everyone despite having no previous experience in flying ships before.
>>
File: THIS IS A REAL WOMAN CHAR.jpg (58 KB, 355x400) Image search: [Google]
THIS IS A REAL WOMAN CHAR.jpg
58 KB, 355x400
>>63784566
you're fucking baiting right

RIPLEY is female character done right. Rey is just boring ass 1 dimensional mary sue. Just because you have a NEET boner for cute girls doesnt mean their characters are good
>>
>>63786926
>2015
>dont understand sarcasm on a korean kimchi recipe websites

a shiggity diggity
>>
File: 18r7io8uy2mgijpg.jpg (109 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
18r7io8uy2mgijpg.jpg
109 KB, 600x450
>>63786687
> show her playing with a flight simulator

I've got a joystick she can practice on.
>>
>>63786655
Yo fucker, shut your reddit mouth! Kyle gets wrecked lots of times.
>>
>>63786926
Ripley was just a man with tits which they tried to circumvent by having this maternal instinct bullshit going throughout the entire movie. Mind you, anybody - white or black - would stick their neck out for a lilly, doe-eyed, white little girl in need.

I don't remember these imaginary ass names Star Wars uses but the girl in this movie was sexy and I'd splash passionately up in her vaginal canal.
>>
>>63784819
>>63786926
>Mary Sue
She did not take Luke's Lightsabre and started bitching about everything
>She attacked the qouta black guy character when she 1st met him
>Needs help of male characters to escape enemy base
>Is unwilling to work with Han solo because she's a whiny character who would rather stay at home
How is that Mary Sue?
>>
File: DaisyRidley-SilentWiness-join2.jpg (89 KB, 1246x1034) Image search: [Google]
DaisyRidley-SilentWiness-join2.jpg
89 KB, 1246x1034
Average tits. Would not bang.
>>
>>63786365
Well the fact that Jedi can use mind tricks isn't a secret even in ROTJ . And now the legend if Luke Skywalker has had 20 years to spread
>>
>>63787220
>lilly, doe-eyed, white little girl

not everyone is a pedo like you
>>
>>63784819
Might as well name her Bella Skywalker. There are times she is literally a Twilight character.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (147 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
147 KB, 1500x1500
>>63787274
>He's a tits guy
>>
>>63787274
DFC > Cowtits

She's a 10/10
>>
>>63787248
she's a Mary sue in the sense that she overcomes most problems with ease, and she suffers far less consequences for failing then the other characters. Attacking the black guy was sensible considering the robot told her about the jacket, she was making it fine on her own, she had a justifiable and understandable internal conflict which made her hesitant to join Han. She isn't perfect, but she just struggles less then everyone else in the movie and the plot always seems to give her a convenient way out.
>>
>>63787424

Shes a Mage!Sue: Similar to the Warrior!Sue, the Mage!Sue has amazing stregnth in magic, or has a magical power that nobody else has. She'll usually wind up upstaging all of the magical characters of the series.
>>
>>63786655
Kyle gets his ass beat on a regular basis.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.