[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It was cool and all but what was the deal with all the references?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: 1450404164209.jpg (31 KB, 408x408) Image search: [Google]
1450404164209.jpg
31 KB, 408x408
It was cool and all but what was the deal with all the references?
When Rey was sitting in front of the ATAT in the sand, why did JJ feel it necessary to have her wear the same helmet Annikin used in Episode 1 during Podracing?
When Finn was searching for something in the Millennium Falcon, why did he have to find the damn training droid from Episode 4? Not to mention the holo-chess thing.
When Han was wondering what to do with the female Stormtrooper general thing, why did he have to ask for a garbage compactor?

These things might not seem like a big deal to most people (in fact in the cinema people usually cheered during these scenes) but it really seems to me just like a cheap way of "capturing muh star wars feel". Damn, I really want to judge this film on its own merit, I would have loved if it was more of a contained story but it seems like Disney, JJ or whoever is responsible want a different direction. After all it's a business. And references and memes are good for business.
>>
>helmet
it was rebels' pilot helmet you autist
>>
>>63779173
JJ has no clue how to capture the feeling and the audience of Star Wars other than throwing references at the camera.
This is just another sign of his total incompetence.
>>
>>63779197
You're right. My mistake. That makes it a bit less cringeworthy actually.
>>
>That Wilhelm scream when Finn and Poe are escaping

The one reference that made me smile.
>>
>>63779311
That's not a reference.
Its Hollywood meme.
>>
>>63779335
A meme that was already used in the original trilogy.
>>
File: 1450203815165.jpg (121 KB, 970x679) Image search: [Google]
1450203815165.jpg
121 KB, 970x679
>>63779173
So who is saying "I have a bad feeling about it"?
>>
>>63779359
Han, obviously.
>>
>>63779353
And dozens of other movies.
>>
>>63779173
for the same reason the two kids found the old Jurassic park facility in Jurassic World. it's a nod.
>>
>>63779382

Yeah, but its use here was a pretty obvious callback to the original trilogy.
>>
>>63779173
cry more faggot. References were barely noticable, they weren't screaming it in your face like Jurassic World.

>When Rey was sitting in front of the ATAT in the sand, why did JJ feel it necessary to have her wear the same helmet Annikin used in Episode 1 during Podracing?
didn't even notice
>When Finn was searching for something in the Millennium Falcon, why did he have to find the damn training droid from Episode 4? Not to mention the holo-chess thing.
He looks at it for half a second (AAAAAAAABRAMS REEEEEEEEEEEEEE), the holo-chess is there so it's logical he messes with it.
>When Han was wondering what to do with the female Stormtrooper general thing, why did he have to ask for a garbage compactor?
You might have forgot but he was in a garbage compactor in ANH so he know it's a good way to get rid of someone.

There are some genuine problems with TFA, like the underwelming soundtrack or the lack of a threat from Starkiller Base but your nitpicking is just YMStier.
>>
>>63779731
Nigger you are a straight apologist, the references to the ot were heavy handed as fuck and were constant
>>
>>63779788
No.

The ones OP stated made sense in the context.
>>
Episode VII: THE MUSEUM OF STAR WARS
>>
>>63779984
Rekt
>>
File: 1397535572453.jpg (73 KB, 680x958) Image search: [Google]
1397535572453.jpg
73 KB, 680x958
>>63779731
>You might have forgot but he was in a garbage compactor in ANH so he know it's a good way to get rid of someone.
>You might not realize this but that last cited reference in your list of references was actually a reference.
How retarded can one apologist be?
>>
>>63779814
Yeah fucking right, they just bumble it to one reference to to the ot after another, of varying plot relevance. The whole fucking movie was a retread of IV for Christ's sake
>>
>>63779173
might be autism, but who else caught the paralel between the way rey entered the destroyed star destroyer with the way han & cia entered that monster's stomach in empire strikes back?
>>
>>63779731
Finn had also worked sanitation duty on the base so that specifically made an earlier joke pay off
>>
>>63779173
Best Reference was the 12 Parsecs joke
>>
I got to agree with you OP, it really diminished the viewing for me since I'm a Star Wars autist. The callbacks in the PT were fine, like youngling using the training droid with silly helmets, but there a shit ton of them in this movie and it's all shoved in your face like DUDE REMEMBER THIS? Also I feel like Harrison was just going through the motions he did for Crytal Skull.

He did a fine job in some parts but in others, like getting confronted by the smugglers, it turns into setup for cheap laughs. You can easily tell Disney is applying their capeshit formula to this.

I can only hope VIII isn't a blatant rehash of V and the heavyhanded humor and references are toned down
>>
File: 1416201747154.gif (383 KB, 500x278) Image search: [Google]
1416201747154.gif
383 KB, 500x278
>tfw "I have a bad feeling about this" is telegraphed and followed by a few silent beats to fit in audience clapping and laughter in most every Lucasfilm project after RoTJ

i'd be angry if it wasn't shoehorned in tbqhwyfimho
>>
>>63779244
Literally what he did with Star trek: In to darkness in order to make it feel more like star trek. Just cram in references.

Holy shit all we do is reference anymore, soon we'll be full Children of Tama.

SWTWF, to be honest.
>>
>>63780255
>He did a fine job in some parts but in others, like getting confronted by the smugglers, it turns into setup for cheap laughs. You can easily tell Disney is applying their capeshit formula to this

Actually I thought that, given that disney wants the marvel audience, he was pretty contained in that scene. Even some dude sitting next to me said "isn't he supposed to be a snarky character?"
>>
>>63780392
It's not him specifically, but his interactions with Chewbacca the whole middle part, like when Chewie smugly reminds him how many deals he's screwed up, or him using the bowcaster and getting this shit eating grin every time he shoots it. It just felt off
>>
>>63780119
>han & cia

You been on /tv/ for too long my friend.
>>
>>63779173
Because the plebs loved that shit in Star Trek. You have to remind the normal, non nerd audience, of what Star Wars was about.
>>
>>63780555
Lol
>>
>>63780555
it was supposed to be han & friends

yeah, I know
>>
>>63779731
hi, reddit
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.