[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does /tv/ hate breaking bad? Other than it being popular
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5
File: Breaking-Bad-Heisenberg.jpg (781 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Breaking-Bad-Heisenberg.jpg
781 KB, 1920x1080
Why does /tv/ hate breaking bad? Other than it being popular with reddit and normies, how is it bad.

>inb4 shill just wanna understand
>>
It's popular.
>>
Just another popular show that was ruined by an annoying fanbase. It didn't help that they consistently misinterpreted the show, judging by often I saw "I'm the danger!" and "say my name!" repeated everywhere like they were legitimately badass quotes and not the words of a delusional psycho
>>
>>63747209
I started watching after it went off the air and got bored about midway through season 2. Good show, just doesn't hold my attention.

The only series I've watched to completion is Sopranos. Haven't enjoyed BB, GoT, CSI etc. Arrow is pretty good though
>>
File: the sopranos.png (2 MB, 1019x672) Image search: [Google]
the sopranos.png
2 MB, 1019x672
First off, I enjoyed Breaking Bad. Its not a bad show by any means when you've got shit like The Walking Dead or Empire shitting up the airwaves

That being said, much of the appeal of Breaking Bad revolves around the storytelling, particularly plot twists. The problem with this is that once you've seen the show, you know what's around every corner. There is nothing to hook you into rewatching it.

This wouldn't be a problem if the show had more depth to it, but there is nothing under the surface. Breaking Bad is literally what you see is what you get. There isn't much to keep the viewer involved other than "I wonder how Walt will get out of this one" or "I wonder whats gonna happen next".

When /tv/ talks about "great" television, they usually refer to The Wire and The Sopranos. These shows are more THEME related shows, rather than plot related shows. The writers aren't just showing you what's happening, they're getting you involved on a mental level as well. You can still find new things and make new connections after watching these shows ten times because the characters are written consistently.

Breaking Bad doesn't have the luxury of being rewatchable, because once you know the plot twist, they leave nothing else to explore.

While these shows do have certain "Whats gonna happen next" type parts, they are also dynamic enough with their characters and the underlying themes between them. You can move on from plot related questions and think about the relationships between characters, things they say that play into the big picture, etc. There is a good story, but the characters must be equally compelling.

I'm not going to pretend to be patrician enough to go further into detail, but this is the easiest aspect of why /tv/ thinks this way. I hope this helps explain why /tv/ "hates" Breaking Bad, it started off with a lot of potential in Season 1, but ultimately leaves much to be desired
>>
>>63747326
>go to subway
>order a footlong meatball sub
>it's delicious
>go to subway the next day
>plan to order another footlong meatball sub because it's delicious
>in line ahead of me is an annoying autistic kid
>he orders a footlong meatball sub
>sandwich artist asks me for my order
>I order a roast beef sandwich instead because the kid ordered a meatball sub

That's how retarded you sound like right now
>>
>>63747542
This.
>>
>>63747503
I'll add in the fact that /tv/ doesn't hate it because its popular, /tv/ hates it because its popular for being basic. It appeals to a wide array of audiences, but doesn't make them think, its purely for fun, and therefore not "intellectual" enough for /tv/.
>>
>>63747209
>Other than it being popular with reddit and normies

that is it right there. /tv/ loved this show before it took off
>>
>>63747209
I have about as much respect for Breaking Bad as I do for the dog shit on my shoe.

It is Reddit, it is capeshit, it is cheeto dust, it is video games. It's nothing more than meme's enjoyed by simplistic pledditors. I have ZERO respect for people who are not free thinkers and blindly enjoy the capeshit redditory Reddit show that is breaking bad. I'm literally screaming, slamming my arms on my desk right now just thinking about it.
>>
>>63747657
No you're fucking insane, that is never reflected whatsoever in what gets posted.
>>
File: 1446229859300.jpg (6 KB, 153x147) Image search: [Google]
1446229859300.jpg
6 KB, 153x147
>>63747657
>not "intellectual" enough for /tv/.
>>
It is the Tarantino of television. It is diametrically opposed to art.
>>
>>63748413
That's because people who don't care for the show don't care to write a thesis for why they feel that way.

As someone who hates BB, but never posts about it; the post you quoted is exactly right. It has mass appeal for how shallow it is, and the shallow audience misinterpreted the show itself; furthering my distaste for it.

tl;dr People with discerning tastes lost empathy for Walt in mid season 2 and maybe as far as season 3, people with shit taste thought that Walt "redeemed" himself and "won" as a "badass"
>>
>>63748498
There is a reason I put the word intellectual in quotations. /tv/ is a pseudo intellectual petri dish.

At the same time Breaking Bad isn't nearly as smart a show as The Sopranos or The Wire
>>
>>63747503
tldr
>>
>>63747209
/tv/ loves Breaking Bad though, it's just a minority of underage loudmouth fags that make you think otherwise.
>>
>>63747542
>>63747619
This place really is reddit now isn't it

I don't mean your subway analogy my friend don't worry, but the "this" post or anytime I see a "underated post" isn't this just a way to make 4chan have a "like" button when the post is just not enough people have to confirm for others that it is to their liking
>>
>TV is for the most part garbage
>Show that is actually pretty good appears
>Everyone seems to think it's a fucking masterpiece
>It's not
>Some people get upset over how much praise it's getting and starts hating the show
>>
>>63747743

Nobody cared about Breaking Bad until Season 5 A ended and Reddit didn't latch onto it until season three ended.
>>
File: 1445658933427.jpg (33 KB, 493x276) Image search: [Google]
1445658933427.jpg
33 KB, 493x276
>>63748392
Holy shit this board sure is autistic. Screen capping this shit.
>>
>>63750857
Hello reddit/newfriend!
>>
File: 1449544847432.jpg (27 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1449544847432.jpg
27 KB, 640x480
>>63750942
I've probably been here longer than you friend. Just not a /tv/ regular.
>>
>>63748392
>Being a free thinker is disliking everything popular
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.