[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
He was a pretty threatening villain until he took off the mask.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 21
File: kyloren.jpg (42 KB, 493x493) Image search: [Google]
kyloren.jpg
42 KB, 493x493
He was a pretty threatening villain until he took off the mask.

Disney blew their load too early.
>>
>>63736942
there ought to be a screenwriting rule that if a character is going to do most of their intense scenes with the mask off, you may as well not introduce them wearing it.

the mystery of not knowing what he looks like winds up being more impressive than the actor's performance.
>>
No one cared who he was after he took off the maaask.
>>
>takes off his mask
>DUDE BLOWN LOAD LMAO
>doesn't take off his mask
>DUDE DARTH VADER ALL OVER AGAIN LMAO
fuck off autist
>>
Exactly
>>
>>63736942
This. The beginning of the movie was fucking great and he was threatening and powerful while also being witty.
When he took off the mask he became edgy whiny teenager.
>>
Can't act behind a mask.
>>
>>63737096
Really? It worked pretty well for Vader.
>>
>>63736984
it was extremely painful
for us
>>
Tell me about Kylo. Why does he wear the mask?
>>
>>63736982
Exactly. Darth Vader had 2 entire movies fucking shit up and being a badass before they revealed he was some wrinkly old dude in a mask.

Kylo Ren needed that. I blame the fans for wanting answers too soon.
>>
I actually liked his entire character.

The tantrums he threw were great.
>>
This whole scene is so extremely cringeworthy:
https://a.pomf.cat/xsnrpn.webm
Worse than anything lucas ever wrote, how did they manage to fuck up that hard?
>>
>>63736942
IThere was no mystery about him. You knew almost from the beginning of the movie who he is.
He needed face time. To show that he is not Vader-like, to show there is person behind the mask.
Yes, the guy has a bit of odd face, but he's acting is spot on.
>>
>>63737179

Except that scene is good you memer
>>
File: bane2.jpg (51 KB, 600x481) Image search: [Google]
bane2.jpg
51 KB, 600x481
>>63737096
Bullshit.
>>
>>63737125
It didn't work well for the actor
>>
>>63737156
Never directly explained, but may have something to do with being ashamed of his identity.
>>
>>63737193
Except it isn't you marketing shill who posted not even 30 seconds after I posted the link to do his damage control spin on it.
The writing is cringe-tier terrible.
>NO, THE SUPREME LEADER IS WISE
Not even lucas would write shit like that
>>
>>63737219

Have you watched the movie anon?
>>
>>63736942
I liked that he took off the mask, showed him for the cocky amateur that he is

Kylo was honestly a very good character and Villian

>Cocky and arrogant
>Short tempered, prone to tantrums
>Conflicted and you can actually tell he's struggling with emotions unlike prequels anakin
>Imposing and threatening when he's in the zone
>Continues to put up a good fight against Rey even though he's bleeding heavily from where Chewie shot him and injured from Light Saber glances in the fight against Finn
>>
>>63737219
>I HAVENT WATCHED THE MOVIE I DONT KNOW WHAT CONTEXT IS

It's a good scene cuck.
>>
>>63737179
Why did kylo kill obi wan solo?
>IT'S TEARING ME APPART
>>
>>63737179
pretty awkward, but not lucas tier
>>
>>63737263
>>63737230
>disney marketing shills in full force
top kek. This is worse than anything lucas ever wrote and worst of all, it's not even memorable.
>>
>>63737285
>i dont like sand

The dialogue was fine.

What wasn't fine was the fucking score. Not a single memorable fucking track. John Williams fucked up so hard.
>>
>>63737173

this tbqh.

the initial scene when he learns finn defected and helped BB8 escape is fantastic. he just fucks up undoubtedly expensive equipment for a good full minute before calming down and asking for more information.

he's a more interesting villain than most (specifically any villain in the prequels) because we see his vulnerability and accept him as a human being.
>>
>>63736942
I thought he was threatening
Imagine Elliot Rodger as a jedi
>>
WEBM OF LIGHTSABER FIGHT WHEN
>>
Kelso wears the mask the same way that classic villains wear phantom masks or gloves - its a mechanism to help dehumanize the wearer and to bring them to terms with the epic burns ahead
>>
>>63737350

I remembered Rey's theme as soon as I heard it and noticed it show up multiple times in the movie when rey does important things, and then again in the credits

but other than that I guess you're right
>>
>>63737258
I understand what you're saying, agree even. But it's just that everything moved way too fast for my liking.

They should have focused on one or two of those character traits and developed the rest as the movies went along.

As it is the character desperately needed room to "breathe".
>>
>>63736942
it humanized him and showed him as a scared kid being manipulated by snoke
>>
File: 1450152868882-0.png (120 KB, 262x190) Image search: [Google]
1450152868882-0.png
120 KB, 262x190
>>63737179
disgusting
>>
>>63736942
>not Jar Jar
TRASH
R
A
S
H
>>
>>63737350
This. Music is extremely important and its at least one third of how the movie feels. I don't remember single original track from TFA, i remember thinking that soundtrack is okay and sounds like Star Wars (especially when the X-Wings came) but I don't remember any new theme.
>>
>>63737219
Hurr durr shill may may
>>
>>63737350
I don't like sand is so bad it's memorable.
>NO, THE SUPREME LEADER IS WISE
Is just cookie-cutter bad dialog tier.
>>
>>63737448

You haven't seen the movie and are judging one line out of context without understanding the character motivations
>>
fuck off idiot, being able to see the conflict and pain on his face when trying to decide whether to kill his dad
>>
>>63737092
Don't you understand? It's a reference to the internet. As soon as you pull Anon's mask off you see him as the whiny teenager he is.
>>
>>63737472
But that was near the end, I wouldn't mind if they unmasked him at that moment. They just did it too soon.
>>
File: gOGzcN4.gif (2 MB, 449x266) Image search: [Google]
gOGzcN4.gif
2 MB, 449x266
>Killing the best actor in the movie

Thanks faggots
>>
>>63737179
literally no chemistry
>>
the lightsaber fights in this movie were fucking cool

i dunno if its because of how pissed off i was at the prequels tapping each other's blades but seeing them swing those fucking thigns around and bounce off each other and actually have weight was so god damn cool

they dont seem like advanced superheroes following a routine, they look like people just trying to fucking murder each other and keep their own limbs attatched
>>
If he just acted like Vader 2.0 he would be a boring villain. Instead what we've been given is an edgelord who desperately wants to be Vader 2.0 but obviously lacks the skill and emotional maturity to pull it off. He's basically your typical /pol/ user and I think there's a lot of potential in him as a character to develop, rather than just being "menacing bad guy #6173"
>>
>>63737463
>You haven't seen the movie and are judging one line out of context without understanding the character motivations
I have seen the movie and there is no context or motivations given because in true JJ fashion the movie ends on a cliffhanger and no plot points are resolved or actually explained.
Luke doesn't even speak and appears in what would ammount to a "post credit" scene in a marvel movie.
You remind me of those people who went out of episode one claiming it was the greatest thing they have ever seen, because they couldn't properly cope with the disappointment yet. This is the exact same thing.
What a terrible blunder that whole movie was.
Even rey's dialog is FUCKING SHIT.
>oh wow this is the famous millennium falconâ„¢ that did the kessel run in under 14 parsec
Not to mention that all of her delivery is so fucking stilted that you just want to get up and leave whenever she opens her mouth.
>>
>>63737179
It was incredibly sloppy.

>Worse than anything lucas ever wrote
I don't know, any time Hayden opened the mouth was excruciating.
>>
>>63737545

this

he's also a critique on the fanbase. retards who think dark side/evil characters are cool because they murder people

chances are he'll be the best thing to come out of this new trilogy
>>
>>63737545
and not only that, but in a cruel twist of the classic Jedi being tempted by the dark side, he's a Dark Sider being constantly pulled and poked by the light, who WANTS to go home and be good but doesnt know if he can

a lot of depth for the character, too bad nobody else got similar treatment
>>
>>63737580
>>63737545
>/pol/ is bad
>TFA is good
literally figuratively redditor/disney shills
>>
>>63737550

The first film in a new trilogy ends in a cliffhanger

You have to be pretty retarded to expect anything other than a cliffhanger mate.
>>
File: 1395095871641.jpg (24 KB, 340x333) Image search: [Google]
1395095871641.jpg
24 KB, 340x333
>>63737179
>>
>>63737590
>yoda and obi-wan tell Luke to kill his own father
>luke ignores them and brings him to the light

>snoke tells kylo ren to kill his own father
>he does it, the absolute madman

poetry
>>
>>63737605
How much does disney pay you per post? 2 cents?
>>
>>63737605
Episode II end was kind of a cliffhanger too.
>>
technically it was more of an assisted suicide since harrison ford had no will to live in star wars anymore and kelso got consent
>>
>>63737545
>>63737580

This

and he's some whiny teenage who's obsessed with Darth Vader
>>
Why did he take it off so early? Even if it was obvious it would have been better if he had only taken it off in the bridge scene and we'd had found out his identity only then. Now he just takes it off, puts back on and then takes off again
>>
john williams music has gotten worse and worse, its so obvious he just doesnt give a fuck anymore

>amazing through original series and peaks at ROTJ
>quite good in phantom menace
>generic by revenge
>completely phoned in in this movie
>>
>>63737580
He's JJs person jab at traditional hardcore Star Wars fans.
>>
>>63737718

Revenge soundtrack was awesome. Only Clones had no memorable tracks.
>>
>>63737179
>i'm being torn apart!
>standing in front of a background half blue half red
>he decides to do the evil thing
>blue background fades to black

jesus christ how hamfisted
i thought bergman was bad with overt symbolism

good thing ill never waste my time or money on this
>>
>>63737096
tell that to Hugo Weaving
>>
>>63736942
Actually, he looked to much of Vader drop-in until he was revealed to by edgy teenager
>>
>>63737751
Clones had Love Theme
>>
>>63737690
>Why did he take it off so early? Even if it was obvious it would have been better if he had only taken it off in the bridge scene and we'd had found out his identity only then. Now he just takes it off, puts back on and then takes off again
It makes no sense.
TFA is actually structured WORSE than the prequels.
How did this happen? I checked the credtis for lindeloff, but he was not involved strangely enough.
>>
Is he dead? There is a good chance that he was saved before the death planet thing blew off right?
>>
Sequel prequel trilogy when?
>>
>>63737826
did you completely miss the hux/snoke conversation before the planet blew up
>>
File: header.jpg (102 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
102 KB, 460x215
>>63737848
Riiiight.
The correct word is actually interquel
>>
>>63737648
Fuck off was it.
>>
>>63737784

Meh.
>>
Still a better villain than any capeshit movie ever made.
>>
>>63737826
Snokey told Hux to find him and gtfo
>>
Why does everyone in this move have three letter names?
Rey
Fin
Hux
Ren
Han
Poe

what the fuck?
>>
I generally like Adam Driver but I agree. My parents thought he was miscast
>>
>>63737718
Yeah, he was in autopilot. Should have handled the mantra to Giaccino instead of him just making a cameo
>>
>>63737862
>>63737902

Damn, I don't know how I missed that
>>
Why was star killer base or whatever run by such young guys? Gleeson and Driver don't look a day over 30, and neither did any other official other than snoke.
>>
>>63737915
Probably rigorously tested to ensure they were pronounceable in every major language and also didn't accidentally mean penis in mandarin.
>>
>>63737915
easy to remember

you gotta remember, the target audience for this is children and normies who watched a star wars movie or two and go "omg i love star wars i'm such a nerd"

>>63738029
we could spend a year discussing all of the shit in TFA that doesn't make any sense

JJ and disney don't care, you're going to see it anyway
>>
>>63737789
It was stupid that they just had Snoke reveal his identity like he was talking about weather and then Han and Leia call him their son ten times just to make sure the audience doesn't forget. Should have been more subtle
>>
>>63738029
An entire generation or two of adults were instantly destroyed in two death star explosions. Empire remnants could be grappling with a demographic bomb.
>>
What does Snoke look like? Who is he?
>>
>>63738120
like and old man
who knows
>>
>>63738120
He looks like a streched-out gollum.
We have no idea.
>>
>>63738120
A hairless Mason Verger.
>>
>>63737179

Is there a full cam release?
>>
>>63737545
>I think there's a lot of potential in him as a character to develop
He's impossible to take seriously and there's no way he'll redeem himself after what he did. The only room for him to develop is as a tragic figure, and good luck getting people's empathy. He was built to be hated and not in a good way.
>>
>>63738120
>>63738147
>>63738158
what was really interesting about Snoke for me was his last line.
>" I have to complete his training."

It was the delivery. Sheev was always like

>"Yeeeessss. Everything is going according to my plan except when its not and I die"

Snoke seemed more like "Shit this is going downhill I need to be reactive because this is a STRUGGLE not some hammy shit"

Though a lot of the movie was pretty hammy
>>
>>63738120
Bald old man with scarred face, kinda ayy lmao like
Snoke theme is very similar to the track that plays in the opera scene in ROTS, he's most likely Plagueis after all
>>
That was the point of the fucking scene you mongoloid, he took off his mask to highlight the fact that he's just a dude that wants to be Darth Vader. It wasn't meant to be intimidating.
>>
>>63736942
I agree, biggest fault of the movie.

They should at least have waited until the scene with Han. There was no real motivation to reveal the face of the villain in the Rey scene.
>>
>>63737096
tell that to jim carrey
>>
>>63738120
Jar Jar Binks
>>
>>63737219
>the supreme leader is wise
>darth plagueis was called the wise
>snoke looks extremely similar to how plagueis is described in his novel

They're dropping hint bombs all over you and you can't even tell
>>
It serves the purpose of showing the audience that he is redeemable and isn't some deformed dark creature.
>>
>>63738297
This guy gets it.
>>
File: Lordvoldemort.jpg (43 KB, 469x332) Image search: [Google]
Lordvoldemort.jpg
43 KB, 469x332
>>63738120
A big guy. No, really.

Also, pic related.
>>
>a big part of Kylos character is that he desperately wants to be Darth Vader but just doesn't have what it takes
>/tv/ hates him because he's a wannabe Darth Vader
>>
>Kylo, I am your father
>I have no father
what did he mean by this?
>>
Why didn't Snoke or Luke teach Kylo how to make a non shit light saber?
>>
>>63737092
he's really fucked up, not just a fucking autist. I really hope they give some proper explanation about which place he and han were so he could get that mad.
>>
>>63738352
hes half a nigger
>>
>>63737580
>critique of people who think that this fictional thing is cool
>>
mask looks like a duck
>>
Pretty funny seeing geeks in the theater dressing up as him
>>
>That feel when that dancing star wars game was better than force awakens
>>
So what did Vader actually start that he's going to finish? Killing all younglings?
>>
File: kinect-sw.webm (929 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
kinect-sw.webm
929 KB, 1280x720
>>63738442
Now, now let's not go THAT far...
>>
>>63738458
he's going to complete Hayden's effort to feel every human emotion in as visible a way as possible.

next movie he will do "insouciant"
>>
>>63738280
>darth plagueis was called the wise
i forgot about that
now i feel dumb
>>
>>63738352
he was conceived by midichlorians
>>
>>63738463
>Implying this isn't amazing

I'M HAN SOLO
I'M HAN SOLO
>>
>>63736984
>>63737132

we must have gone back in time, because this feels like kektober
>>
>>63737179
>trying to have a dramatic scene
>have characters talk about a character called SNOKE

NOPE
>>
>>63738120
I'm more interested in where the hell was he during events of original trilogy.

>>63738239
He also realized Kylo Ren can fail to the Light side.
>>
I feel a lot of the potentially good stuff in this movie was squandered because it all happened too soon.

The totally-not-a-Deathstar was so underwhelming and seemed tacked on because without a fleet of Rebels blowing up a spherical giant weapon it's not a real Star Wars movie.

The final space fight should have just been an overwhelming fleet attacking the Resistance base and make hints towards the weapon and show it under construction (without spelling out what it is).

Same with Kylo Ren, his face should not have been revealed until Han told him to take it off because he doesn't need it, his appearance should have been a mystery until the finale and the surprise of him not being deformed would have more impact.

Snoke should not have been name dropped (because fucking hell, Snoke, really) nor shown in such detail. Should have just been referred to as "The Supreme leader" and shown in lighting/angles that hid his features. A full face shot and the reveal that he is a hologram should have waited until his last scene.
>>
>>63738120

he is a giant and a hologram
or a giant hologram who's normal sized in real life
>>
File: 1449300972628.jpg (102 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1449300972628.jpg
102 KB, 800x800
>>63738653
>the surprise of him not being deformed
>>
>>63738654
> Episode 9
> Snoke is actually 2 feet tall
>>
>>63738653
So, even more of a rehash.
No, fuck off.
>>
File: 10826532.jpg (37 KB, 540x333) Image search: [Google]
10826532.jpg
37 KB, 540x333
>>63737179
>>
How the fuck did they recover a light saber from the centre of a gas giant?
>>
>>63736989
The movie itself says he is a darth vader wannabe
>>
>>63738553

SNOPE

FTFY
>>
>>63738750
"A good question, for another time..."
>>
>>63736942
He obviously isn't main villain so it doesn't matter how he looks like. He probably is redeemed.

OH FUCK, IF HE KILLS THE SUPREME LEADER A LA VADER, I'LL BE PISSED
>>
>>63738703
>He is an evil yoda
>>
>>63737580

Well when they deliver a bunch of tepid literally who protagonists it's not our fault the space-fascists are a lot more popular.
>>
>>63738703
> really 2 feet tall
I was thinking the same thing whilst watching the movie. Why else make his hologram so big?
>>
>>63738553
If you think about it, YODA is a pretty stupid name too.
>>
>>63737360
>>63737173
also that scene where he finds out Rey escaped, and he fucks up the entire room while the two stormtroopers just nope the fuck out of there
>>
Kylo is definitely the best new character, he clearly had the most effort put into his personality
even the way he fought at the end, you could see how he was inexperienced and made mistakes just like finn and rey did
Plus him killing han was a solid character moment for him, you could almost see him changing his mind and going good before he made the decision to stay with the dark side and kill han
>>
>>63737767
>i thought bergman was bad with overt symbolism

You moron. It was a time when no one knew how to do cinema properly like today.
>>
>>63739617
I never liked this in Star Wars.
How can characters just completely snap from a good moral knight to a genocidal maniac in a second and vice versa.
>>
>>63739617
He was baiting Han you moron.
>>
hot opinions coming through

overall pretty good, but way too familiar. basically the exact same plot as a new hope, and it felt lazy in places. woah it's another death star BUT BIGGER i kept expecting han to say 'here we go again' or something

kylo ren was probably the best part of the movie, driver was good. he didn't have enough psycho scenes imo, they kept him pretty subdued. i liked when he shouts 'traitor' at finn

lightsaber duels were okay. kylo wrecks boyega's shit pretty fast as he should but having him lose to daisy so suddenly just came off as goofy. he's supposed to be an incredible swordsman and super strong w/ force (to the extent he can stop bullets, read minds, torture people without choking etc) and then rey just realizes 'durr ive got to use the force' and kicks his ass. i understand the excuse is that she's meant to be extra force sensitive because she's luke's daughter or whatever but she could have at least lost an arm or something instead of just suddenly taking control of the fight with no effort

i was excited for phasma but she was basically just comic relief

domnhall gleeson was good as the general. i thought his speech was very hitlery and convincing

boyega was good. he did the comedy stuff well and his accent wasn't bad. i liked the scene where a random stormtrooper recognizes him. i think the empire (first order whatever) was done pretty well. they seemed a lot more human and believable rather than just generic cannon fodder guys.

rey's theme(?) (plays when she's sliding down the hill and when she's looking for luke) is really nice[/]spoiler
>>
>>63739803
thats kind of the whole sith thing, you get corrupted by the dark side of the force.
>>
>>63738653
>Snoke should not have been name dropped (because fucking hell, Snoke, really) nor shown in such detail. Should have just been referred to as "The Supreme leader" and shown in lighting/angles that hid his features. A full face shot and the reveal that he is a hologram should have waited until his last scene.
This.
Han should've just said YOUR LEADER instead of "snoke". They never refer to sheev as sheev either in the OT, he's always just the emperor.
>>
>>63737915
>BB8
>Jew
>>
>>63739869
>lightsaber duels were okay. kylo wrecks boyega's shit pretty fast as he should but having him lose to daisy so suddenly just came off as goofy. he's supposed to be an incredible swordsman and super strong w/ force (to the extent he can stop bullets, read minds, torture people without choking etc) and then rey just realizes 'durr ive got to use the force' and kicks his ass. i understand the excuse is that she's meant to be extra force sensitive because she's luke's daughter or whatever but she could have at least lost an arm or something instead of just suddenly taking control of the fight with no effort

Kylo had just taken a bowcaster shot to the dick, chewies bowcaster is heavily established as the most powerful hand held blaster weapon in the series during the battles prior. Kylo was also an emotional wreck after the scene with Han, and he was clipped in the shoulder by Finn. In addition, his training was not complete, and you can tell by his fighting style that he really isn't that amazing. It's not unbelievable that Rey, who has been fighting since she was dropped on Jakku, could take on Kylo in the state he was in with great effort.
>>
>>63737092

The whole point of his character is that he isn't fully formed. He is a mess.
>>
File: 1449594787345.jpg (50 KB, 632x560) Image search: [Google]
1449594787345.jpg
50 KB, 632x560
So is Coruscant actually gone?
Or was that an entirely unrelated system?
I'm still pretty confused, although I think the name of the system that planet was in wasn't quite the same.
>>
>>63738120
Snoke is Mace Windu with some reconstructive surgery after he got zapped by The Sheev.
>>
Somebody post the photo of a book with Kylo Ren and his sword. There was something about Malachor. Is that canon now?
>>
>>63739953
I think you're seriously overrating JJ if you think he is a masterfully constructed subversion.

JJ isn't even involved with any of the subsequent films.
>>
>>63740009
I don't think it was Coruscant. Said it was a system whos name started with L, don't remember which.
>>
>>63739920
yeah he did get pretty beat up before rey, that's true. also he punches his wound a lot, why is that? i still think she turned the tide a little bit too fast though... just shuts her eyes for a minute and is then super saiyan and suddenly really skilled when up to that point half-crippled kylo was basically winning. they did establish that she's good at fighting with the spear early on, so maybe i'm not giving her enough credit

the duelling was actually really good for the most part though. it felt really weighty and serious rather than overly choreographed and acrobatic like some of the stuff in the prequels. i do wish we had seen more of kylo's saber. i think there was an opportunity show off some really crazy sound design but they didn't really make the fuss of it that i expected. it was cool when he used the exhaust as a blowtorch on finn
>>
So does Kylo know what actually went down on the second Deathstar? Luke confronting the Palpatine, him fighting Vader but not killing him, Vader eventually saving Luke and all that? I'm gonna guess no, otherwise he's kind of a retard for being this obsessed. I'm assuming Snoke lied to him to turn him or something like that.
>>
>>63737605
>The first film in a new trilogy ends in a cliffhanger
>You have to be pretty retarded to expect anything other than a cliffhanger mate.

So I have to be pretty retarded to expect a first film in a Star Wars trilogy to end like previous first films in Star Wars trilogies?

Fuck off, shill.
>>
>>63738553
non-english native here

The word 'snoke' evokes something connected with sneezing and nasal fluids
>>
File: 2deep4him.gif (994 KB, 245x216) Image search: [Google]
2deep4him.gif
994 KB, 245x216
It was doomed to fail
>>
>>63737545
after Naruto i have enough of emo villians
>>
>>63740166
Punching your wound can dull the pain, but I think the main reason it was done was to remind the audience that Kylo got pretty fucked up by that shot. The switch in advantage kind of works, up to that point Rey was fighting on experience alone, the switch happens when she starts using the force as well as her experience. It does fee kind of hasty, though.

I loved the scene too in terms of choreography, it reminded me a lot of Luke and Vaders duel in 6. Very happy they did away with the flippy spinny ninja shit that the prequels had.
>>
>>63740179
Either he believes in a twisted version of the events, or he knows and is doing everything he does for a good reason. I can see his character going either way.
>>
>third death star
fucking really?
why
>>
>>63740031
you guys know JJ didn't write the movie right? You know the difference between a writer and a director? I'd hope so given this is a film board.
>>
>>63737179
I raged when that giant comic relief dog-human hybrid shoots him

literally the most embarrasing defeat ever
>>
>>63737096
lol you're on /tv/ and you make this statement?
>>
Him taking off the mask when challenged was a symbolic thing referencing his insecurity about living in Vader's shadow. It's fine. I got some bad Anakin flashbacks when he talking about how tormented he was.
>>
>>63737545
>If he just acted like Vader 2.0 he would be a boring villain.

What if... what if he instead had a speck of originality to him?

>Instead what we've been given is an edgelord who desperately wants to be Vader 2.0 but obviously lacks the skill and emotional maturity to pull it off.

You're saying this as if it is anything to be proud of.

Fuck no. Villains, and particularly Star Wars villans, should be menacing and larger than life. Kylo is just diet coke of villainy, trying and failing to be an imitation of a better villain. I don't want to see him "develop" (before even considering that there is actually nowhere for him to develop to). I don't want to see him at all. He fucking sucks.
>>
>>63740284
>you guys know JJ didn't write the movie right
Except he DID (co-writer with Lawrence Kasdan). It's in the credits.
>>
The fact that he took off the mask and he revelaed he was a wimpy edgelord who had the mask on PURELY for added edge it's what made interesting.
>>
>>63740166
>yeah he did get pretty beat up before rey, that's true. also he punches his wound a lot, why is that?
Pushing through the pain, proving how strong he is and all that. His whole deal is about how he wants power and how he's afraid he's weak.
Also, I thought lightsaber fighting was one of the purest expressions of the force, mastering the force meant you could control it to guide your every action, at least that's the impression of it I had when watching the original films based on what Obi-Wan tells Luke.

The duels were great tho, especially the sound. Every time sabers clashed there was this powerful boom to it plus it looked a lot more natural then in the prequels. I still miss no one actually having a stance like Luke did in Jedi tho.

>>63740265
I have a hard time believing he can redeem himself, other then killing himself for the greater good in true Hollywood fashion, after what he did. Yea he was kind of conflicted about it I guess but still, a bit over the line. I honestly think it might down to Luke somehow showing him what really happened there or something along those lines.
>>
What did Han Solo call him when they finally met? Ben?
Ben Ren?
Kylo Solo?
>>
If Ben is so weak then why didn't Luke just slap some fucking sense into him?
>>
>>63740307
Protip: Directors can get co-writer credits even if they change a single scene from the script. It's part of the guild's prerequisites.
>>
>>63740325
Just ben.
>>
>>63737580
>he's also a critique on the fanbase. retards who think dark side/evil characters are cool because they murder people

(1)You are either a retard or a shill if you think they actually thought that deeply.

(2)But even if they did, a good author should not give a fuck about what fanbase thinks in general, but in particular he should not allow their opinions to influence him to the point of ruining his work for the sake of spiteful retaliation.
>>
>>63736942
I dont give a shit about meme wars but I read a synopsis and he seems like the only interesting character there
>>
>>63737179
His voice feels weird
>>
>>63740325
Yea Ben. Isn't Solo the last name tho? Wouldn't he be Ben Solo then? Ren are the knights he joined which we know nothing about and Kylo is his new name I think.
>>
>>63738703
>Somewhere a Disney exec is writing this down as a potential ep 9 plot point.
>>
>>63740166
>>63740264
Pretty sure the reason for him punching the wound was to channel rage / the dark side using his pain as a catalyst.
>>
>>63740325
BANE
>>
>>63740325
"Son, I'm so disappoint."
>>
>>63740349
JJ was heavily involved (nearly rewriting the entire script with Kasdan) after Arndt left.

It's been well reported for more than a year. Look it up.
>>
>>63740373
>Ren are the knights he joined which we know nothing about and Kylo is his new name I think.
Ahh. I was under the impression he had taken on Ren as his last name and the knights of Ren were named that to show allegiance to him. Guess we'll find out next movie.
>>
>>63737179
is he british or something?
>>
>>63740392
Aye.
>>
>luke gave up on everything he worked for the minute one of his disciples threw a hissy fit

what a pussy
>>
>>63740436
Most (if not all) of the new cast is British.
>>
>>63740392
So he's a Big Ben?
>>
>>63740453
Did you missed the flashback where Ren and his knights slaughtered (what I assume were) all the Jedi?
>>
>>63740436
>>63740457
Adam driver is one of the few Americans in the new cast
>>
>>63740418
Nah, I think he's just one of them. Possibly the leader but I think there's more to it then him turning to the dark side. At least I hope so.

>>63740489
Yea, they even explicitly say they destroyed everything Luke built.
>>
>>63740489
I was pretty stoned so I'm not sure I made the connection but yeah, that makes sense.
>>
>>63739838
This. It was so obvious that he was faking his 'internal conflict'. He had every intention to kill Han.
>>
>>63740541
>>63739838
>writing is bad
>fanboys attempt to find underlying logic where none exists

just like LOST audience
>>
>>63740541
Nah, he was legitimately conflicted, he even confessed as much to Snoke before. But it was very clear which side he was leaning towards and the moment he told Han he was conflicted and needed his help I knew what was gonna happen. I thought it was a great scene.
>>
>>63740009

If it WAS coruscant, does that mean jar jar was actually killed off?
>>
>>63737179
>>63738553

the only problem with this scene is the word SNOKE and knowing he's a CGI Orc from Hobbit 3. if they're setting him up to be the palpatine of this trilogy they got a lot of work to do
>>
>>63737915
IIRC Finn is spelt with two N's because his designation was FNN38 or something. I don't remember the numbers.
>>
>>63737179
I don't understand how someone could just stand there with a lightsaber in their chest without the wielder standing perfectly still, if not they would just flop over to one side and get cut in half
>>
>>63740661
Jar Jar killed himself between 3 and 4 out of guilt for giving the chancellor emergency powers.
>>
>>63740671
FN2178 I think.
>>
>>63737179

I literally see nothing wrong with this scene
are you just memeing?
>>
What's funny is that most people don't know why this happens Actors demand it in their contracts.

Not only was it not the scriptwriter's choice, he would have known this so well that he wouldn't have even bothered with the idea of maintaining mystique in the first place. Lost cause.

That's why it was kind of neat that Karl Urban didn't do it in Judge Dredd. He must have deliberately told his agent not to push the issue or something. RLM mentioned it.
>>
>>63740740
I'd have to disagree with this being the case here. I really don't think either of the scenes where he takes his mask off would work had he not done it, especially the Han scene.
>>
>>63737718
can you really blame him? if the scenes are as similair to a new hope as the trailers suggest, I wouldn't have much drive to come up with something good either.
>>
Was I the only one fucking cringing at the scene where Rey went to find Luke? Climbing those steps like it's fucking Karate Kid. How many times has this whole "you must climb these steps to find the secret fighting-master" thing been done already?
>>
>>63740901

He writes a new theme for Rey that shows up a few times, other than that I can't remember a thing that wasn't just the standard force theme (and I think the imperial march played a little bit when vader's burnt helmet was shown)

Also there was some kind of reggae type song that played in the not-cantina, but it was much more soft background music than something that could ever be iconic like the cantina band
>>
Here's my hot theory, will be probably confirmed next film.

Snoke is a really small little creature, maybe about 4 inches tall. That's why he uses the big hologram to intimidate. It would fit with the overarching theme of deceptive appearances.
>>
>>63740687
I refuse to believe until I see the video.
>>
>>63740993
Fuck this wouldn't actually be a bad plot twist at all.
>>
>>63740993

I could certainly see it happening as a twist, it wouldn't be a big surprise on the tier of vader being luke's father but I definitely won't rule it out happening
>>
>>63740685
BECAUSE MOVIE DRAMA
>>
>>63740418
KYLO
SOLO

POTTERY
>>
>>63737125
kek
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSm9DDxQv8E
>>
>>63740302

>>particularly Star Wars villans, should be menacing and larger than life

Aside from Vader and Sheev, who the fuck else?

Maul (no speaking), Dooku (okay, but underutilized), Grievous (total waste), Jabba (meh), Boba and Jango (both do little but die)

Who else? Watto? Sebulba? Nute Gunray?

And no, the EU does not count.
>>
>>63740938
I thought it was cool, but they lingered way too long on the final shot of her holding the lightsaber up to him. And that flying camera was just bizarre. It was as if they thought it was gonna be some sort of big surprising seeing Hamill again or something.

>>63740901
>>63740967
I honestly don't recall a single piece of music from the movie. Some people say you shouldn't really notice music if it fits the setting but I highly disagree with that. A great piece of music makes the scene.
There was not a single scene like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gpXMGit4P8
Although I think that has more to do with the pacing then with the music itself. I guess Rey has kind of a moment during her fight with Kylo which was great but I was hoping for a bit more calm moments. They better not fuck up her Jedi training. JJ did alright but I really hope they get a better director for 8.
>>
>>63737410
I think you desperately need room to 'kill yourself'
>>
All the retarded jock assholes laughed when he took the mask off.
I think he is really attractive.
>>
>>63740685

Yet you probably enjoy blasters shooting rays of light traveling at sub speed of light and when ships fly tail down before making a turn even tho space flight =/= earth flight ;^)
>>
>>63736942
It makes sense though, he's literally an edgy Vader wannabe so him being a teenager fits the character
>>
>>63740302
I prefer the fact he's inexperienced, it at least makes sense that Rey and Finn can stand up to him. If he was as good as Vader they'd get their shit wrecked
>>
>>63741074

There was certainly nothing of that tier of memorable, I remember in the scene where rey slides down the sand hill thinking that music was going to be her theme (it's a fairly bouncy melody and stood out a bit to me), and I ended up being right since it showed up once or twice more and was then the first song played in the credits after the star wars theme

I probably pay more attention to the music than most people though
>>
>>63737550
>the kessel run in under 14 parsec
It's 12. Why do you even pretend to like star wars you faggot.
>>
>>63739869
I agree with almost everything, Kylo Ren was pretty much the highlight of the movie, one of the best villains on the big screen in years.

The light saber fight was neat in that Kylo really used the dark side in his anger, but it didn't work. When Rey got the saber from the snow I almost cried.
>>
>>63741154
She literally says 14 in the movie though.
>>
>>63741294
And Han corrects her...
>>
>>63741314
Sure, but anon was quoting Rey so he was right.
>>
>>63740031
>subversion

But that wasn't a subversion. That was his whole character. He is a young guy with daddy issues who idolizes Darth Vader and aspires to be as intimidating and masterful as he was. He wasn't supposed to be Mysterious Evil Badass Man.

One of the first promotional stills of Kylo Ren we got was him without the mask, on that snow planet.
>>
>>63738654
>>63738703
Snoke is actually the size of Starkiller Base
>>
>>63737179

JJ a shit
>>
>>63741128
I'm saying that a saber would slide through you like a red hot knife through butter. Autist.
>>
>>63740993
what if he was actually BIGGER
>>
File: KaboomByeBye1.png (174 KB, 566x313) Image search: [Google]
KaboomByeBye1.png
174 KB, 566x313
Meanwhile...
>>
He was a childish baby from the beginning. His first tantrum is all you need to understand his character.
>>
I feel like this was similar to A New Hope on purpose. They wanted to acclimatise people to the new trilogy first.
I expect the next movie will carve a path more of its own. Of course, we're going to keep seeing references, this is Star Wars after all.
>>
>>63737092
>>63736942
>reverse Anakin
>>
>>63742158
He's still miles better than Anakin even when at his most pathetic and whiniest though.
>>
>>63737784
Across The Stars really is beautiful.
>>
>>63742122

This basically
The movie was always going to play the safe route, they have to ease people back into liking star wars before they can try something more different and ambitious
>>
>>63740127
Lando system
>>
>>63737258
You couldn't tell Anakin was struggling with his emotions because he was a jedi and he didn't get to swing around his lightsaber yelling "GUARDS!" and stab his father in the stomach.

I do admit that Hayden didn't do a good job at all but you have to admit it would've been hard being him because of the situations Lucas put him in and all the actors specifically.
When you're fresh and new to the industry it's kind of hard to get situated in the Acting world when you're talking to greenscreens and fighting people with green sticks.
>>
>Lukes new arm in the OT
>anatomy exactly the same as a human being
>Lukes new arm in TFA
>robot arm like Anakin in the prequels

Why?
>>
>>63742546
poetry
>>
>>63742532
>You couldn't tell Anakin was struggling with his emotions
He literally cries after killing the Japanese aliens on Mustafar.
Everything he does is to save Padme, but he knows it's objectively wrong.

>you have to admit it would've been hard being him because of the situations Lucas put him in
"Your playing a guy who used to be a slave, was stolen from his mother at 10 years old, raised by celibate monks with laser swords, and now you're trying to sweet talk one of the prettiest girls alive.
Go."
>>
File: come on.jpg (6 KB, 250x241) Image search: [Google]
come on.jpg
6 KB, 250x241
>>63737179

>character tries to talk to evil guy and tell him to change his ways
>evil guy looks like he's listening only to say a cheesy line and pull an epic "180" killing the character

Why do movies still use this cliche? I knew Han was going to die the moment the music started playing
>>
>>63737179
4/7
>>
>>63737434
The only memorable track is the Force Theme followed by the credits score.
>>
REQUESTING IMAGE THAT SHOWS THE SIMULARITIES BETWEEN THIS AND A NEW HOPE
>>
File: EPiso 7V.jpg (304 KB, 699x1211) Image search: [Google]
EPiso 7V.jpg
304 KB, 699x1211
>>63742882
>>
I was certain Driver was a Jew. Didn't realize gentiles could be this ugly.
>>
Anyone else feel they showed too much Snoke? They were so mysterious about him before, I thought he would get one scene where we barely see him but got three whole scenes. Imagine if ESB had three Sheev hologram scenes in it
>>
>>63740332
He was stronger than the other jedis i presume, probably swayed a few of the other students to help him as well. Slaughtered em and ran off before Luke could UNJUST them all
>>
>>63740332
Luke wasn't there when it happened.

Kylo fell, fucked off, came back with the Knights of Ren and murdered everyone while Luke was away.

Luke comes back, finds all of his students in pieces, gets fucking pissed, fees himself falling to the dark side and goes away to meditate and cleanse himself.
>>
>>63742922
That needs revising because there are many more similarities to IV, like the fucking Jawas but not Jawas on Tatooine but not Tatoine.
>>
>>63743276
Then revise it.
>>
Kylo is a good character, but a terrible piece of shit of a villain;
>>
>>63743276

Some things also need to get removed - Lars San Tekka wasn't a thing, han and chewy didn't help them escape not-tatooine, and the cousin thing didn't happen yet

it's a decent bait image but it's not really that fair on TFA since a fair amount happens in between those two paragraphs that doesn't really have any similarity to ANH (besides the not-cantina)
>>
File: disney-logo.png (13 KB, 400x180) Image search: [Google]
disney-logo.png
13 KB, 400x180
>>63737179
>how did they manage to fuck up that hard?
>>
>>63743336
Kylo is a good character and his character arc has a lot of promise.
He's also a pretty different villain, which is refreshing, and could make things interesting.
The only problems is that he's ugly as sin but that also kind of works all things considered.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.