[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
V > IV > III > VII =VI > I > II Prove me wrong.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 9
File: 1445523075567.jpg (134 KB, 526x779) Image search: [Google]
1445523075567.jpg
134 KB, 526x779
V > IV > III > VII =VI > I > II

Prove me wrong.
>>
>>63733090
Glib Facsimile
>>
OP you have good taste desu. I'd probably place ROTJ a bit higher though.
>>
>>63733090
I agree
>>
>>63733090
III > II > I > VI > IV > V
THERE FIXED IT FOR U
>>
>>63733193
This.

ROTJ had the GOAT throne room sequence, and the best space battle in any of the films. The Ewoks were an acceptable quirk.

VII is an soulless MCW-ized, SJW-ified remake of IV, without any of the wit, charm, or originality that the real SW film had.

But it's still better than II, I guess...
>>
This is literally JUST the type of rehash I was expecting, it's nothing but a glib facsimile.

If Star Wars was all I had access to as a child in terms of sci-fi I probably would become one of those crazy fanboys, but thankfully I had access to anime from very early on in my youth years that my mental balance is very stable.

Seriously, if you have watched Akira, you'd realize just how sophisticated anime is and it blows away anything Star Wars would have to offer.

A lot of people mention Ghost In The Shell, which has just enough of sexuality in the mix to draw in the western audience I suppose but I must say that Ghost In The Shell is not even in my top 10 anime, not even close, that's just how deep the world of anime is.

Some anime is so disturbingly mature like Fractale that I wish it would challenge the system and submit it as a Drama category in the Oscars just to bitchslap the snotty Academy.

It's not just the level of maturity and sophistication anime has, it's also quite original, entertaining, and visually fantastic. I would regard anime as the highest form of cinema art-form.

But hey, me preaching about anime won't do you any good, you gotta go out and see it for yourself just how much you are missing.

The recent one I would recommend to check out is Sword Art Online which is light and easy to get into anime for the first time yet appreciate it as much, but if you want the heavy stuff right off the line check out Guilty Crown in which the plot is so complex and twisted that you'll need extra oxygen pumped into your brain in order to comprehend everything, and if you want amazing visuals and a gripping drama that also has awesome mecha battles Aldnoah.Zero is the shit.

Seriously, if you know anime like I do, Star Wars looks like it's something for little kiddies..
>>
I really wish the "Episode III is good" meme would die
>>
VI > III > IV > V = I > II > VII
>>
IV = V > VI > VII > Polio > I = II = III
>>
>>63733090
G L I B
L
I
B
>>
>>63733334
ooooh, I like the way you think desu
>>
VII is not canon, so it can't be included in this list.

V > IV > VI > I > II = III
>>
>>63733344
Between the Sarlaac Pit and the space/throne room sequence, it's very slow and easily the weakest of the OT

If we look at the EU, it's literally a rehash of the OT. Worst things about VII

>Edgelord Ren
Soundtrack
Rey's sudden ability to use the force without any training except a non force sensitive person told her she was force sensitive.

Wasn't perfect by star wars standards. But it's pacing and exposition delivery is better than II, I, and VI
>>
>>63733380
I wish you would die
>>
>>63733090

I literally can't prove you wrong because I agree.
>>
>>63733175

>Glib Facsimile

Is that your father's pet name for you, faggot?
>>
V>IV=VI>VII>the common cold>III>aids>I>cancer>II
>>
>>63733090
shallow copy
>>
>>63733090
Facile Replication
>>
>>63733466
Part two is actually bretty good
Fuck off
>>
The prequels were much better written, they had actual characters and story, not a bunch of memes and one-liners that lack any emotion or coherence. Luke is a cliched everyboy "hero" that goes through an absurdly rapid transformation between the fifth and the sixth episodes. Anakin's emotional instability and his exposure as a psychopath are gripping; and his doomed relationship with Padme is touching. In the "original trilogy" Han, Leia, Darth Vader and Obi Wan are complete meme characters, nothing about them is remotely believable or human. And why doesn't anyone care about deaths in those movies? Leia's planet destruction, Luke's stepparents' death, all of the blown up rebels--the list could go on--all the deaths are forgotten moments later.

As for direction, the movies from the "original trilogy" were mostly incoherent, badly edited and full of logical problems. The prequel trilogy is a work of a "vulgar auteur".

I feel neutral about the series overall, and honestly don't care about trolling or contrarianism. Here are my sincere rankings:

1. "Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones"
2. "Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace"
3. "Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith"
4. "Star Wars"
5. "The Empire Strikes Back"
6. "Return of the Jedi"
8. "The Force Awakens"
>>
File: tyrone20years.jpg (57 KB, 620x670) Image search: [Google]
tyrone20years.jpg
57 KB, 620x670
>>63733090
>episode one above literally anything
>>
Guys it's actually

V = VI > IV > III = VII > I > II
>>
I'm not a memer or contrarian fag

V > IV > VI > III = VII > I > II
>>
>>63733466
Solid list.
>>
>>63733621

Episode 1 is terrible, but it's terrible in a ridiculous and over-the-top way, it's got entertainment value. Episode 2 is just as shitty, but it's also boring and pretentious. 2 is the worst.
>>
>>63733525
Nice pasta faggot.
>>
V>IV>VII>VI>II>III>I
>>
File: lotsofbait.png (10 KB, 224x225) Image search: [Google]
lotsofbait.png
10 KB, 224x225
>>63733525
>Any of the prequels above Empire or Star Wars
>>
>>63733090
V > III > IV > VI > VII > II = I
>>
7>4>5>6>3>1>2

I don't know how but JJ did it and made a better star wars film then a new hope and empire strikes back.
>>
>>63733780
> VII > VI
Could you make a list that's correct and not a meme
> "Best film since Empire"
>>
>>63733855
>Subtle troll is subtle
>>
>>63733693
pretty much on point there anon. Maybe TFA is a little bit better than RotS but they're actually close in terms of quality.

BRAVO JJ
>>
VI > V > IV > VII > III > I > II
>>
>>63733090
1- Empire Strikes Back
2- Star Wars
POWER GAP
O
W
E
R

G
A
P
3- Return of the Jedi/The Force Awakens
4- Revenge of the Sith
5- Cancer
6- Aids
POWER GAP
O
W
E
R

G
A
P
7- Phantom Menace
8- Attack of the Clones
>>
>>63733090
Episode 1 is better than this because at least you get "duels of the fates", this gives you fucking nothing except for nostalgia and SJW pandering
>>
>>63733693
This pretty much, but TFA is definetly above RotS, closer to RotJ really.
>>
>>63733525
>Leia's planet destruction, Luke's stepparents' death, all of the blown up rebels--the list could go on--all the deaths are forgotten moments later.
He's got a point here (though emotional shit probably would've bogged the movies down)
>>
>>63733380
This is no meme, the movie is legitimately good, minus the Sheev vs Yoda thing, looked kinda dumb
>>
>>63733090
V>IV>VII=VI>III>I>II
>>
File: otfags btfo.png (415 KB, 744x615) Image search: [Google]
otfags btfo.png
415 KB, 744x615
>>63733884
It has a higher percentage score than a new hope and empire strikes back and the only reason why it has a lower score out of 10 is due to having way more reviews.
>>
>>63733090

Agree with the exception of the III = VI. Definitely the weakest of the three, but IV and V set the bar pretty high

I submit V > IV > VI > VII > III > I > II
>>
All-Around Perfect Movie Classic Tier:
IV

Great Outside of an Extremely Weak Second Act Tier:
V

A Few Severe Missteps Tier:
VI

Bonus Points for Ambition Tier:
II

People Confusing Edginess for Quality Tier:
III

Condensing the Plot Would Have Made This an Okay Movie Tier:
I
>>
>>63734042
Aside from the problems around basing an opinion on film quality around a review. What are you going to do when reviews sour?
>>
>>63734083
Oh, and stick in the 'No Studio Exec Ever Got Fired for Hiring Abrams to Direct Their Reboot' tier between III and I
>>
>>63734083
> 2nd act weak?
Yoda's training is one of the best moments in Star Wars.
>>
>>63733090
I'd switch III with VI, otherwise it's perfect
>>
>>63733899
Mein nigga
>>
>>63734132
Yoda's training was good, although some of his sthick wore thin quickly, but my problem is more that Han and Leia's plot between Hoth and Cloud City is there almost solely to kill time while said training continues.
>>
I really like Episode I for some reason, maybe because of Based Neeson and Ewan, and the Tattooine scenes are great. Portman is detestable but the rest of the cast are pretty good.
>>
>>63733730
Ascension Guns!
>>
>>63734175
The sthick doesn't wear thin until you become a jaded adult and even then it's still a source of magic, wonder and nostalgia when you return. The 2nd act, whilst it appears time killing, is actually an important low action moment used to develop Leia and Hans relationship. If JJ had kept this in mind maybe episode VIII would be a little less episode III tier.
>>
V > IV > VI > III > VII > II >>>>>>>> I
>>
>>63734246
I agree, I'm just using it to differentiate between IV and V. IV is strong and steadily ramps up in terms of adventure the whole way through, V's second act runs slow and lags a bit. Hence, IV is the better movie, while V takes second place.
>>
>>63733090
>III > VII =VI
The point of faggotry.
>>
>>63733525
But I am SO in love with YOU.
>>
>>63733976
And Obi Wan vs robot lizard
And the long fight between Obi Wan vs Anakin
The entire "who is the sith" plot is a Dora the Explorer episode
Anakin's "fall" after he was already evil in ep2 was forced and carried no real emotional weight
The entire ending feels like a quick "cut and tie" so the movie would lead into the original trilogy

The movie is legitimately bad. As a part of Star Wars and on its own, it's a bad movie.
>>
File: Dale.jpg (13 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
Dale.jpg
13 KB, 480x360
>Spectre gets mediocre reviews because its too similar to other James Bond movies
>Star Wars 7 gets exceptional reviews despite being an almost shot for shot remake of A new hope
>>
>>63733380
Why don't you die? 7 suffers because of lack of Sheev spins
>>
Not meming, I loved the prequels so my list is
>IV>III>V>VI>VII=I>II
>>
File: image.gif (916 KB, 288x199) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
916 KB, 288x199
>>63733090
I won't prove you wrong because you're right.
>>
>>63734104
>What are you going to do when reviews sour?
nobody cares by that point
prequel reviews were mostly great when the movies premiered
>>
>>63734524
the actor who played Sheev really did carry that movie by himself. he realized what a clusterfuck it was and knew that hamming it up as much as possible was the only way to salvage any kind of entertainment value from the wreckage
>>
Phantom menace sucked because of gungan bullshit and uncanny valley 3D cgi and a little boy named dickwad. But the parts where nobody was talking is where the movie excelled.
The highlights everyone enjoyed was the pod racing and the Darth Maul fight.

If the characters shut the fuck up more the movie would be good.

Attack of the clones suffered from the love plot.

Revenge suffered from fucking moronic idiocracy of the council and painfully obvious poor decisions.
>>
>>63734758
The trade federation's motivations made no sense in 1, and the clone wars itself was a ridicules cartoon of robots fighting clones. To fix the prequels you would have to completely start from scratch
>>
>>63734758
>the pod racing
space ben hur that feels like a waste of time and never really develops any sort of tension
It does look cool, though.

>and the Darth Maul fight.
The Darth Maul fight's music, maybe. The fight itself is boring, lifeless choreography followed by stupidity.
That ONE moment where Obi Wan is waiting to rush in, though, that's golden.

Happy little accidents.
>>
>>63734793
Anything Trade Federation fails because it was just Lucas sinking his hand in the Dune barrel again.
Only he forgot why the Navigator's Guild was important in the Dune universe in the first place, and instead made a bunch of asians with robots.
>>
>>63734846
>That ONE moment where Obi Wan is waiting to rush in, though, that's golden.
>The Jedi can run really fast when attacked by droidekas in the opening scene
>but not when it matters
>>
Star Wars > Empire > Jedi >>> Force Awakens >>>> Caravan Of Courage > Battle For Endor >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Revenge Of The Sith > The Phantom Menace > Attack Of The Clones

Prove me wrong.

You literally can't.
>>
>>63734963
Normally, by the time that scene happens, you forgot about everything that happened in the beggining.
Because it was really stupid and didn't matter.
>>
>>63734998
Menace is worse than Clones.

QED
>>
>>63734846

The Darth Maul fight was a good fight, all things considered. Just didn't carry any story weight, unlike the O.T.

But unlike the rest of the prequels, it had some well shot stuff. You have to admit the Darth Maul introduction in the scene was pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-L2K2f2YWM
>>
>>63735016

You reckon. I wasn't sure. I thought about putting them at the same tier, but Clones, aside from an equally bad story, LOOKS like complete shit. Menace actually looks more polished.

I guess it doesn't have fucking Little Anakin and it's got some okay stuff story wise with Emo Anakin.

But it's like arguing about which pile of dog shit tastes better.
>>
>>63735085
I'll still say most of it is due to the god-tier soundtrack. And Darth Maul's design.
Absolutely everything else is too... well, boring. Posing and posturing and the milquetoast camera distance that doesn't try to get personal with close ups but doesn't set up a good action scenario with full body shots either.
But to be honest that's getting too bloody nitpicky.
>>
>>63735200

No, it's the close ups and punch in's that are cool for me. I mean, it's small, but it's something. It's better than the shit we have to endure later in the prequels, even if it's not quite O.T. Also the CGI backgrounds really don't help, watching that back now.
>>
>>63735280
>the CGI backgrounds really don't help
prequels.txt
>>
>>63733362
LOL what the hell this is everywhere
>>
1. Star Wars
2. Empire Strikes Back
3. Force Awakens
4. Return of the Jedi

ROTJ is so massively overrated just because it followed up the phenomenal ESB and gave us a happy ending. It's just a poorly written movie and they ran out of ideas so they blew up an even less daunting version of The Death Star.
>>
>>63733362
Actually you kind of have a point
>>
This is the first Star Wars I don't care about watching.

The prequels sort of diminished my interest in the series, as much as the bad video games and lack of KOTOR.

I don't really care much for this movie. May suck, hard.

Most fans of this series are old. New kids may not flock to it as much as they think. Disney is also gonna milk this.

The marketing and merchandising is overkill.
>>
Darth Maul is the best character of the prequels and killed

the prequels are bullshit like your mother
>>
>>63733730
Fuck off Jar Jar lover.
>Now this is pod racing xD
Episode I is fucking trash. Even contrarians are that stupid.
>>
>>63735355
This

>people on this board don't like TFA because it copies the first film
>people like ROTJ even though it copies a lot of it including the Death Star, the exact same plot point

SW is schlock anyway stop taking this shit so seriously
>>
>>63733730
Episode 2 is also ridiculous and over the top in the same way.
I SLAUGHTERED THEM LIKE ANIMALS
>>
>>63733090
>III that high
Thank you. Now i don't feel like a crazy person.

ROTS is a good movie, i don't care what you faggots say.
>>
File: trash.jpg (129 KB, 640x550) Image search: [Google]
trash.jpg
129 KB, 640x550
>Episode I above anything
>Literally the worst "villain" in the entire franchise
>JarJar and his fucking city
>The Naboo battle
>Now this is podracing
Nah, OP. It's fucking trash. Episode 2 is MILES better.
>>
>>63733362
u like everything related to anime? I am convinced that you're fat n' like Twilight
>>
File: 1439075802423.jpg (29 KB, 760x472) Image search: [Google]
1439075802423.jpg
29 KB, 760x472
>>63733090

>III
>good

The greatest meme of our time.
>>
>>63735357
but he cant
>>
>>63735524
Maul wasn't a villain though, he was just a guy Sheev sent to kill the Jedi.
Gungan city wasn't bad, it was an interesting concept.
Naboo battle sucked dick.
Podracing would be good if it wasn't so fucking long.
The sets, fights, soundtrack and atmosphere were still better than II.
>>
>>63735741
KISSING PRANK GONE SEXUAAAAAAL
>>
>>63733090
>Newman kills Seinfeld

POETRY
>>
>>63733899
>I > II
Is this a new meme?
>>
>>63733380

I wish you would die, you dumb meme
>>
>>63735851
>Sheev
I still laugh at that fucking name. It was Lucas parting gift alright
>>
>>63735945
Autists will actually defend episodes 2 and 3 instead of looking at 1 as an admittedly barely related to the main story admittedly barely related interesting bit of Star Wars lore
>>
>>63735851
>Podracing would be good if it wasn't so fucking long.
TWENTY FUCKING MINUTES
W
E
N
T
Y

Also
>Young Anakin blowing shit up in the climax
Kill_me.jpg
>>
>>63735945
II had overall shittiest quality of sets, acting, CGI, fights and plot.
>>
>>63736090
>tfw I saw the remastered edition for the first time a while back and the podracing was even longer

I forgot about Anakin blowing the droid control ship to be honest. It was pretty stupid. They should have make Anakin a bit older and show that he's actually good pilot and knows what he's doing, then it would be fine.
>>
6 > 5 > 4 > 7 > 3 > 1 > 2
>>
>>63733380
>>63735741

Underaged fags, please go
>>
>>63733090
V > VII > IV > VI >>>> III > I > II
You know it to be true
>>
I think the soundtrack is fine. Overall, I think this is a safe springboard for the next two films to really shine. If they're just as bland then we can say that they truly squandered the potential, but it's ridiculous to compare this to the prequels.

I would say it is on par with VI, because it doesn't do anything original. It's just a safe Star Wars film that takes a lot from A New Hope, but it's not really bad. Just a little boring.

We'll know for sure once 8 comes out. But if that's bad you'll have to listen to people excusing 9 because "3 was the best of the prequels". If anything though, the sequel has the best chance of being the strongest of the trilogy.
>>
>>63736150
>6 better than 5
>>
>>63736165
Jedi's always been my favorite, I apologize for nothing.
>>
>>63736090
Lucas did that because there was supposed to be a sequence in ANH of Luke racing his friends in T-16s
This would establish what a great pilot he was, right?
Cut for time and effects being no good
>>
>>63733090
Swap 3 and 7 and you're right. The thing about this one is that for every good moment (the assault on the castle, the sabre fight) you get two that feel almost lifted from 4 verbatim. Maybe it's just me, but it would have been nice to get a reason why the Republic wasn't fighting the First Order itself and why its' entire fleet was around it's main planet seriously what the fuck who wrote that? And Hans death, while it was well acted, didn't seem to have a real meaningful impact for some reason
>>
>>63736143
That would have been a good trick.
>>
>>63736156
Wouldn't that be RotS apologists since they saw it before the original trilogy when they were like 8 and thought its the best thing ever?
>>
File: sw236ka.jpg (8 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
sw236ka.jpg
8 KB, 400x300
>>63733090
>RotS above anything but TPM and AotC
>>
>>63733090
bang on there m80
>>
>>63736156

Gas yourself, cunt.
>>
Fin is a carbon copy
>>
>>63736182
Legitimate opinion
Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.