[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Friendly reminder
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 9
Friendly reminder
>>
File: kek.jpg (57 KB, 559x345) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
57 KB, 559x345
>>
I did enjoy that one though. Sue me.
>>
If Star Wars is as good I'll be fine with it
>>
JJ is based. /tv/ just gets triggered by black people.
>>
>>63715286
But, the first trek was fine.
>>
>>63715364
What actually was wrong with this movie? I never got around to seeing it and I wasn't really a trekkie growing up
>>
>>63715286
>>63715364
What are you trying to say by this? That they were good movies?
>>
>>63716341
they were
>>
But Trek 2009 was actually good. The plot was stupid but it had a huge amount of shit to get done in 2 hours, and it did it.

>>63715364

Now this is an indictment.
>>
>>63716317

Autism. Seriously.

That movie is great.
>>
>>63716317
the pacing was awkward af. I thought we were still in the exposition when the climax happened.
nothing happens
>>
>>63716317
Some tacked on bits of misguided pandering, ending that went on too long, and some nonsensical plot elements. Overall it was an ok popcorn movie, but it triggers nerds worse than Apple.
>>
>>63715397
>>63716055

This. I unironically enjoyed the reboot aside from maybe the Nimoy shit towards the end.

Into Darkness was just awful.
>>
>>63716317
If you understand Star Trek, if you understand JJ, if you understand his boner for the mystery box, if you understand his directing and kinetic energy quick-cut shaky cam bullshit, then you will understand why this movie is shit.

Lindelof, JJ, Orci, and Kautzman also fucked up Khan.
>>
>>63716396
dude your second viewing of The Force Awakens starts soon you don't want to be late
>>
Star Trek has turned into a F&F: Star Edition.

Nothing that made star trek actually what it is appears in these movies
>>
>>63716317
>What actually was wrong with this movie?

Bob Orci, Alex Kurtzman, Damon fucking Lindelof

>le dark and grim story
>TWISTS WE NEED MORE TWISTS
>LOOK HERE'S THE BAD GUY ISN'T HE BAD
>WAIT HE'S NOT ACTUALLY THE BAD GUY THE OTHER GUY IS THE REAL BAD GUY
>TEAM UP AND STOP THE REAL BAD GUY
>K THANKS LOL TURNS OUT I'M ALSO BAD AFTER ALL
>NOW WE PUNCH EACH OTHER

>Kirk dies in a scene that is literally the Spock death scene from Star Trek 2
>lol nevermind he's back alive 10 minutes later because we literally cured death with the bad guy's super blood
>>
>>63716028
This. And throw in the fact they hate anything popular.
>>
As far as I'm concerned, JJ never actually directed a Star Trek movie. In 2009, he made Star Wars, featuring characters from Trek. In 2013, he made Star Wars Into Darkness
>>
>>63716476

#squadgoals
>>
>>63716476

Tell me one common factor between the different serieses that makes you say this.

This is not trying to be the original series, it's an alternate universe. I really do not get why people do not understand it. It's literally in the goddamn movie.
>>
File: atlast.png (33 KB, 255x216) Image search: [Google]
atlast.png
33 KB, 255x216
>>63716516
>2009 Star Trek is Star Wars
>2013 Star Trek is Revenge Of The Sith
>>
>>63716498

>>Kirk dies in a scene that is literally the Spock death scene from Star Trek 2

I don't get at all why people complain about it. It was the whole fucking point of the scene.
>>
>>63716546
>it's an alternate universe.
>Implying that's not an excuse to ignore Trekkies and turn Trek into a generic action movie that resembles Star Wars
>>
>>63716599

My point was that every series is different from the others in terms of themes.
>>
>>63716516
>As far as I'm concerned
You mean you've read mongoloids doing damage control as to why his star wars movie is going to do fine and now you're parroting it
>>
>>63716546
By that logic you could put Star Wars in an "alternate universe" and make it Miami Vice Wars

That's a flimsy excuse for a literally new concept with only characters to hold it together.
>>
>>63716476
my god, now THAT is hatred portrayed properly in sci fi
>>
>>63716599
>Resembles Star Wars
Look, I get where you're coming from.
But Star Trek 2009 does not resemble Star Wars. It has similar themes, but when it comes to resembles, it's more like a really fucking high budget Demolition Man.

Star Wars was about adventure, mystery, and larger than life characters.
Star Trek 2009 and it's sequels are about fucking the shit up of bastards who dared to mess around with your shit.
>>
>>63716594

Bob pls

Homages are great, but you can't just steal an entire scene from a different movie and stick it in there.

Especially when the impact of that scene is completely undone 10 minutes later when the tragic self-sacrifice of the hero is cured by magic super blood. Which also means I guess death is cured in the Star Trek universe, because you can just harvest some Khan blood and inject it into anyone who's dying of anything and they'll be fine.
>>
>>63716647
Of course, but JJ's series caters to the popcorn shoving audiences with short attention spans. His movies reflect the need for explosion and general action movies. You can cover all that with a Trek skin, but it's certainly not Star Trek. I haven't seen TFA, but I'm pretty sure he did the same thing. Given his love for Star Wars over Trek, I'm sure there are less fuck ups, but JJ is a guy who lacks originality and is very derivative, but fuck it. I'm going on random tangents. Hope you see what I mean.

JJ sucks.
>>
>>63716708
>Star Wars was about adventure, mystery, and larger than life characters.
In the fucking series it was.
The movies? You could say that about the TMP movies and those are not coming back, they didn't come back with TNG and they will not come back now.

Even TNG movies were objectively just action movies that mimicked Star Wars.
>>
>>63716721

But the whole movie is a retelling of the Khan thing in an alternate universe. Hell, there is literally a scene in the movie where new Spock asks old Spock what happened with Khan in their universe. It is not supposed to be just a homage but a copy of that scene. An alternate version where it hit Kirk instead of Spock.

Now, on the blood thing I pretty much agree, that was stupid.
>>
>>63716708
>Star Trek 2009 does not resemble Star Wars.
The denials need to end...

Planet destroyer superweapon, young plucky heroes thwarting an evil galactic crazed man bent on destruction and revenge, father-son comparisons, R2 shows up via cameo, snow world, snow monster attack. The list goes on.
>>
>>63716752
>Even TNG movies were objectively just action movies that mimicked Star Wars.

Undeniably true. I just wish they were action movies with plots that make sense.

Here's hoping Simon Pegg has rescued us from the Orci-Kurzman-Lindelof Unholy Trinity
>>
>>63715364
Triggered
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRVD32rnzOw
If you ever liked Star Trek i feel so bad for you right now.
>>
>>63716708
During the Trek 09 interview campaign, JJ even admitted he loved Star Wars as a kid, not Trek. So pls go.
>>
>>63716721
While the scene is bullshit, I agree, if you think about it, death was supposed to be cured in the Star Trek universe the moment someone mentioned the words "transporter buffer". Because if you're actually transporting people as data, then there is no reason you couldn't just back them up into a nice little file. Maybe update it every day, or every week, and bam. You are immortal.

>>63716797
Read the rest of the fucking comment. It has the same themes, but it's completely different in spirit. Star Wars gave a shit.
>>
>>63716476
>dem manboobs
>>
>>63716797

>Planet destroyer superweapon

Borg cube

>young plucky heroes thwarting an evil galactic crazed man bent on destruction and revenge

...that's not even the plot of Star Wars, but original Khan movie.

>father-son comparisons

Now that's literally not Star Wars at all, what the fuck?

>R2 shows up via cameo,

He does?

>snow world, snow monster attack

So is Super Mario also copying Star Wars?
>>
>>63716752
>>63716802
After first contact (which has its own flaws), all other TNG trek movies are just action movies, even I can admit that.

Insurrection wasn't good and neither was Nemesis.

You could argue Generations was about accepting time and death, and while FC started veering into cheap laughs and action-driven, it still carried a message.
>>
>>63716802
They had to rewrite a script in less than a year, then keep writing during shooting. There's some hoping since Trailers are often cut to pander a wide audience (mostly kids) so maybe we're not getting the full picture here.
>>
>>63716674
if you're referring to TFA, it'll do fine because of nostalgia. Once people take off those rose tinted goggles, they will see that the movie is a poor politically correct remake of A New Hope. Only now it's faster, louder, and shakier because people have short as fuck attention spans.
>>
Tbh baka baka baka senpai senpai fäm
>>
>>63716860
You can have the same themes, but it's hilarious that you're ignoring the actual content. Themes drive content, and content present in Trek 09 has what I mentioned. Please go suck JJ's dick some more, kiddo.
>>
>>63716794
>But the whole movie is a retelling of the Khan thing in an alternate universe.

The problem is, Khan in Star Trek II makes sense. Kirk abandoned his ass on a planet which turned lethal, and Khan watched most of his people die, including his wife, while nobody ever came to check on them. They forgot about his ass so badly that they were considering testing the Genesis device on his planet, which would have killed them all. He was mad at Kirk and justifiably so, and when he gets a chance for revenge he goes for it. This makes sense.

Into Darkness Khan wants to kill Marcus for basically turning him into a slave, and free his people who are being used as leverage against him -- ok. And then he does. Which also has the side benefit of stopping Marcus who is trying to gin up a war with the Klingons. Cool.

And then he just goes LOL GENOCIDE FOR NO REASON :^) because there was 40 minutes of movie left. It makes no sense. Especially since in the show, they actually explain that Khan, while a power-hungry asshole and a brutal dictator, was not a genocidal maniac.

Wrath Of Khan Khan is a well-written if simple character whose motivations make sense. Into Darkness Khan is a plot device that connects action sequences
>>
>>63717009

That all might be, but what does that have to do with my point regarding the death scene?
>>
The biggest travesty is that Khan was recorded with TV cameras originally, before they decided to make it into a movie.

Throughout the film there's focus issues, grainy-ness, and lack of detail. Compare a still to TMP and you can see what TWOK could've been..
>>
>>63716931
>After first contact
>After
Discarded. Believe me, it was my favourite movie when I was a kid, but it's just an action movie.

>>63717009
>And then he just goes LOL GENOCIDE FOR NO REASON :^) because there was 40 minutes of movie left. It makes no sense. Especially since in the show, they actually explain that Khan, while a power-hungry asshole and a brutal dictator, was not a genocidal maniac.
Yeah no, Spock just blew up his crew, the same crew he tried to save. I don't believe he knew that he emptied the torpedoes.
>>
>>63716860
>making copies of dead people is the same as curing them

No, bro. If I copied you, and then set you on fire, you would die. There'd be a duplicate of you walking around, but you would suffer a horrible death.

I'd make him watch

That's a little different from now whenever anyone is dying, they can just inject a couple CCs of Khan blood into them and they're cured.
>>
>>63717099
Do you consider Generations to be a Trek movie or do you draw it at Undiscovered Country?
>>
>>63716997
You either can't read, or can't stop projecting.
My entire point was that J.J.'s work is a piece of shit.
Putting in random referential elements (which I called themes and you apparently call "content") is the reason why people keep claiming Star Trek 2009 was a Star Wars like movie, while it had none of the heart that made Star Wars Star Wars.
At most it could pass as a pretty prequel within the Star Wars canon.

The point I was making to spell it out even clearer just in case:
J.J. a shit. Star Trek 2009 a shit as Star Trek. But don't also degrade Star Wars by claiming Star Trek 2009 is like it.
Star Wars gives a shit. J.J. does not.
>>
>>63717099
>Yeah no, Spock just blew up his crew, the same crew he tried to save

Spock blew up the torpedoes because Old Spock had warned him that Khan was a genocidal maniac who wanted to exterminate all life he found "inferior"

There was nothing to suggest that was the case. In fact, the Khan that Old Spock knew was decidedly not a genocidal maniac, which Old Spock himself had said.
>>
>>63716055
>But, the first trek was fine.
First trek was muppet babies in space.
>>
>>63717071
>That all might be, but what does that have to do with my point regarding the death scene?

What point? They lifted a scene from a better movie and put it in a terrible movie

The point of the scene in WOK is that Kirk's cockiness got a bunch of people killed, including his best friend, who had to sacrifice his own life to save everyone who Kirk had otherwise doomed. Kirk had to watch his best friend die, saving Kirk and everyone else from what Kirk had done.

The point of the scene in Into Darkness is HEY REMEMBER THIS LOL. Spock watches Kirk die and is sad about it because they're friends. Then he says the other thing from the movie: KHAAAAAN!!
>>
REMINDER: The crew built a scale model ear for this scene
>>
>>63717140
I do consider it as a trek movie, but it's not enough to bridge the two eras (Especially in comparison with Trek 6). It kinda fell flat. But at least it felt Trek, I get what you mean.
>>
>>63715286
>>63715364
They were fun movies, but terrible Star Trek movies.
Literally Star Wars tier shitfest
>>
File: LND71308-2.jpg (566 KB, 750x959) Image search: [Google]
LND71308-2.jpg
566 KB, 750x959
>>63717341
>not building scale models of ears
>>
>>63717338
>The point of the scene in WOK is that Kirk's cockiness got a bunch of people killed, including his best friend, who had to sacrifice his own life to save everyone who Kirk had otherwise doomed. Kirk had to watch his best friend die, saving Kirk and everyone else from what Kirk had done.
There also was the whole Kobiyashi Maru angle, where Kirk has to face the fact that he can't cheat in life, the way he cheated in the simulation.

Ironically, the conclusion of Into Darkness is the writers literally making Kirk Cheat Death.

It's like pottery. Pottery with a dick on it that tells "go fuck yourself" to those who look at it.
>>
Plus we get hot Kirstie
>>
File: 1450201757325.jpg (17 KB, 480x336) Image search: [Google]
1450201757325.jpg
17 KB, 480x336
>>63717483

1000 times this. Bob Orci and Alex Kurtzman do not understand how stories work

What I love is how, back in 2013, when everyone was pointing out what a shit sandwich of a script he'd delivered, his response was LELELELE I KNOW BETTER THAT'S WHY I GET TO WRITE MOVIES AND U DON'T

And now Bob Orci doesn't get to write movies any more and spends his time trying to defend his shit on /tv/
>>
>>63717586
>Young hot Kirstie looked a lot like a crush of mine.
>>
>>63715286
>>63715364
I really like these two desu senpai
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.