[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
In retrospect, it wasn't such a bad movie. Sure, a little
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5
File: swpmpicture.jpg (495 KB, 1000x1500) Image search: [Google]
swpmpicture.jpg
495 KB, 1000x1500
In retrospect, it wasn't such a bad movie. Sure, a little weird, but It was original and it expanded the Star Wars universe. That's more than can be said about the new one.
>>
No.
>>
File: 1427693132798.jpg (119 KB, 914x600) Image search: [Google]
1427693132798.jpg
119 KB, 914x600
>tfw never once hated the prequels, either personally or to fit in

They're not as good as the OT, sure, but unlike most of the autistic fanbase I dont mind watching them as they all have their enjoyable parts.
>>
>>63698251
If the whole Anakin thing lasted no more than 15 minutes, without pod racing, and if the whole Jar Jar thing was either removed or handled differently yep it's a solid movie
>>
>>63698251
Yeah no, it expanded the Star Wars universe without actually expanding it. It just didn't do the best job of setting everything up.
>>
File: han_solo_by_rohanvoigt-d76srhe.jpg (200 KB, 1024x1365) Image search: [Google]
han_solo_by_rohanvoigt-d76srhe.jpg
200 KB, 1024x1365
>Mfw best lightsaber fight in all the prequels.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHqdESArkqU
>>
STOP MAKING THIS BOARD /v/ TIER!!!

LEAVE RIGHT NOW AND NEVER RETURN
>>
>>63698447
>not Obi-wan v Anakin in Episode 3

Nigga I just finished all three episodes in the past few days and without a doubt that fight is the most well choreographed, it's not super flashy and very fluid so you can follow it, and it has a lot of meaning and symbolism behind it than against Darth Whatever.
>>
>>63698493
>Not super flashy
>Literal fucking exploding volcano in the background
>George of the jungle swing lightsaber duel
>Lava droid surfing

Nigga what? That fight was 98% spectacle.
>>
>>63698447
That's like the only legit light saber fight in the whole series. Real martial arts, long cuts, and angles that show that the actors are doing it themselves without zooming too far out
>>
>>63698447
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0mUVY9fLlw
>>
>>63698493
>well choreographed
They literally stand face to fucking face twirling their sabers for a full minute without hitting anything.
The fight went on for WAY too fucking long and actually became boring.
Also no based Duel of the Fates playing
>>
>>63698629
>Real martial arts

No.
>>
>>63698673
>full minute
Do you even know what a full minute is? You know that gif is looped right?
>>
>>63698673
This, there were few fucking retarded moves. Especially that 3 second long twirl without hitting anything and also anakin kicking obi-wan instead of slicing him with lightsaber whent they are standing on that table.
>>
>>63698251
Hi Colo Claw Fish
>>
>>63698461
>/v/ tier
that'd be a improvement
>>
>>63698645
Ahh shit anon thank you, that was so fucking funny.
>>
>>63698839
No problem.
I like how most prequel apologists bash OTs lightsaber fight choreography yet PTs is worse, just flashy.
>>
>>63698645
Jesus christ this movie is so fucking bad
>>
>>63698402
>without pod racing
that n64 pod racing game is pretty much the only good thing that came out of the movie
>>
>>63698402
Pod race would be cool if it wasn't so long though.
>>
>Lucas can come up with a good story, but is absolute shit with dialogue and goes overboard with special effects and CGI
>The only reason the OT was good is because there were so many people above him telling him "no" and restricting him
>He originally wanted to make Han and some of the other main characters aliens
>He went back to edit the original trilogy. He added too much shit in the re-releases that take away from the plot

Lucas confirmed for killing his own trilogy.

That being said, the prequels were't that bad, the story was pleasingly tragic
>>
>>63699072
What was good about the story?

Everything just acts retarded because the Sith magic or something.
>>
>>63698743
That one although silly at first glance makes sense in the setting. Hell, in ANH, Ben specifically says that the force "partially controls" your movements while you also influence it. Obi-wan was trying to outplay Anakin's crazy offensive bullshit by using the force.
>>
>>63699200
I don't know, that sounds like bullshit excuse for choreography to be shit.
>>
Can redditors stop with "the prequels aren't that bad" meme? Authentic /tv/ knows they ARE that bad and the only reason you like them is because your reddit sensibilities are blinding you to reality.
>>
>>63698447
Darth Maul was the biggest disappointment.
He was so hyped, then just he just appears, and shortly after dies without showing anything about his character, his motivation, his backstory, etc..
>>
File: image.jpg (179 KB, 960x541) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
179 KB, 960x541
The first 2/3 was fucking terrible,

Did you have a fucking stroke?
>>
>>63699265
I rarely go to reddit unless I'm looking for something. Phantom Menace came out when I was about 12 years old and I loved it as much as I loved the OT. Since then I recognized obvious flaws of PT and that they are not nearly as good as the OT, but I still like them and don't think they are outright bad.
>>
File: starwars.jpg (121 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
starwars.jpg
121 KB, 1440x900
>>63698447
HOW THE FUCK DID THIS GET INTO THE MOVIE?

They seriously forgot to fill in Obi-Wan's lightsaber.
>>
>>63699384
Wasn't the last third just that dumb comicy battle and Anakin's antics?
>>
>>63699072
>He went back to edit the original trilogy. He added too much shit in the re-releases that take away from the plot

George Lucas talks about how the movies are kids movies. But if you look at all the stuff he added to the original trilogy, he only added the kid appeal. The first two don't have a lot of kid appeal originally. Until the expanded editions, which are filled with fart jokes, guys falling off of beasts in the background, droids smacking each other around in the background.

Really fucking lowbrow humor shit. and 90% of the shit he added was that. burp jokes, fart jokes, slapstick humor, dancing singing aliens.
>>
>>63699254
They're fucking psychic space knights, I don't really know what about that doesn't allow some degree of bullshit.
>>
>>63699481
Why isn't Disney coming out with the unaltered theatrical cut?
It's like they hate money.
>>
>>63699510
Because Lucas used the original masters to make his "enhanced" editions
>>
>>63698251
Cant wait until people say the prequels were better than the disney movies
>>
>>63698251

>it expanded the Star Wars universe.

How exactly?

With midi-chlorians, gungans, and the worst robot soldiers to ever be shown on a cinema screen?

All the shit people actually like about TPM is stuff that was already in the originals, great score, light sabers, jedi / sith, etc...
>>
>>63699503
I mean I don't think it was the idea they had when making that scene. Yes, you can explain it retroactively with some arbitrary excuse, but you can do that with literally anything in Star Wars. It's just shit choreography that could possibly be excused by some in-universe logic.
>>
>>63699072

The story for the prequels were pretty good in the early drafts, before he botched the fuck out of them by trying to cram in as many OT call-backs as he possibly could. Oh for those people who insist that Lucas is a great storyteller, the script he says was the most fun for him to write was AotC, it was also the script that he wrote in the shortest time ~4 months, and had the least number of drafts (2). That is the pinnacle of Lucas-only storytelling.
>>
I don't like the prequels, but i'd watch TPH over any of the prequel films. At least it looks somewhat like a damn Star Wars film. The other prequel films just look out of some other shitty sci fi series. Also, TPM has a great score.
>>
>>63699533
You think that originals could possibly be lost forever? I hope not, the only VHS's I have are '97 specials that are already remastered (not to 2004 digital degree though) and I'd like to see originals in good resolution again.
>>
>>63699143
I guess a few things come to mind, but I mostly mean that it does a good job of foreshadowing everything that comes in the following trilogy. I suppose it should, given that they had already been made, but it set it up well nonetheless.

>Obi-wan is pretty reckless with Anakin, gives him a lot of freedom which partially leads to his becoming Vader, explains why he s so cautious with Luke years later
>Constant talk about how the Jedi aren't allowed to form strong connections, breaking this rule prove tragic for Anakin his wife dies
>the last fight between Anakin and Obi-wan, where Obi-wan leaves Anakin to die, put a lt more hype and pretense into the fight between the two in episode 6

I'm sure there are more, I though the prequel did a good job of putting in a good emotional background for the OT. Plus, the trilogy does have this overall very classic feeling tragedy to it (reminds me of Oedipus or Hamlet for some reason), albeit the execution wasn't great. They aren't bad, they could have been great if the other people involved had the courage to say no to Lucas, but no one did so we're left with a pretty mediocre trilogy.
>>
>>63698402

This and if Anakin was a teenager. It's weird as fuck that everyone was okay with a little kid competing in a death race.

If he was a grease monkey teenager it'd be a little more believable and the whole Padmae or whatever being way old for Anakin wouldn't he so bad.
>>
>>63699533
>Because Lucas used the original masters to make his "enhanced" editions
this is false. There is someone who posts at a forum I post at (Stevehoffman forums) that worked on 2004 dvds, and he said that all the elements that disney would need to restore the originals are available.
>>
>>63699533

Fox owns the distribution rights to Ep. IV and likely Lucas put it in his contract with Disney that they can only release the special editions since he -loathes- the original versions of the OT.
>>
>>63698343
Pretty much.
>>
>>63699630
He comes up with good ideas, but again he needs people to reign him in.

Hell, anakin is conceptually entirely solid.

Lived as a slave, given a chance for something greater, only to find it too is a form of societal slavery in that he cannot properly express himself or live his life without being chastised for his acts, and the occasions that his powers do alert him to things he could possibly change for a positive result, he is entirely blown the fuck out by his obligations and left stewing in the resulting self-hate. The fact that the only person to really try and comfort and encourage him regarding this is Sheev makes this work pretty well; Obi-wan, although like a brother to anakin, never really fully understood the depth of his passions due to his devotion to the order and thus sets the stage for their inevitable conflict; with the backdrop of the increasing corruption of the republic and the ineffectiveness of the jedi council merely adding more well rounded context to these matters.

It's a well thought out tragedy on the most basic level. George's failure is that he spent over half the films on spectacle and poorly written dialogue and didn't spend enough time on the parts that actually mattered for the main story being told.
>>
>>63699647
>Obi-wan is pretty reckless with Anakin
In episode 1? I can't remember any real interaction with Obi-Wan and Anakin
>Constant talk about how the Jedi aren't allowed to form strong connections, breaking this rule prove tragic for Anakin his wife dies
That's one of the dumbest things in the prequels, it sets Jedis, i.e. most of the main characters, up to be boring assholes.
And Anakin already was a fascist genocidial asshole before Padme even comes close to dying. Not to mention that everything about his romance was fucking awful.
>the last fight between Anakin and Obi-wan, where Obi-wan leaves Anakin to die, put a lt more hype and pretense into the fight between the two in episode 6
The incredible silly volcano fight? Seriously?
>>
>>63699830
>In episode 1? I can't remember any real interaction with Obi-Wan and Anakin
I meant in the whole prequel

For the fight, consider what I was trying to say: I like the idea but not the execution. The fact that there WAS a fight where Obi-wan almost kills Anakin/leaves him for dead creates an interesting backdrop for their future battle. Vader has a solid reason to want to kill Obi-wan. Sure the execution of the scene wasn't great, but if it the movie was redone, it should still end up with Obi-wan defeating Anakin
>>
>>63700249
If you "does a good job", that means the execution.

Who cares what kind of ideas George might have had for it?
He failed to do anything with it, which is the actual difficult and important part.
>>
>>63698251
I enjoyed it when I saw it, enjoyed clones too though less so, sith turned me from a big star wars fan to disliking the whole thing when I saw it at the midnight premier and I've never watched any of them since.
>>
>>63698343
Exactly this. The prequels are so different that it's hard to compare really, Lucas was going for something different. If the prequels had come out first, people would have liked them.
>>
>>63698447
It's good from a technical point of view, but it has no emotional weight.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.