[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: travesties of television
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 11
File: archer.jpg (59 KB, 333x250) Image search: [Google]
archer.jpg
59 KB, 333x250
ITT: travesties of television
>>
hello Reddit
>>
>>63682642
It just got louder and louder. Bit parts were overplayed.

I don't get it - it was a guaranteed laugh every episode if they stuck with the format - a drunk and cocky and incompetent spy working with an incompetent spy agency - and they went to shit because they wanted to reward the fat voice actor for Pam.

I got headaches watching the show the last few seasons, so much fucking noise - no jokes. Pam is the worst.
>>
>DUDE COCAINE LMAO

has there ever been a worse butchering of a funny character?

mallory and archer are the only funny ones anymore
>>
>>63682841
>of a funny character?

Pam? Pam's not funny.
>>
>>63682642

I marathoned all six seasons over the last couple of weeks and in my opinion the show remained consistently funny throughout. RIP Woodhouse.

It does suffer a little bit from that same shit that happens in all sitcoms where you have a group of unrelated people who happen to work in the same office and don't particularly like each other, then ten episodes later they're going everywhere together in a small family group
>>
>>63682757
Pam and Cheryl were my favorites when the show started and ended with me being angry every time they were on screen
>>
Man, this show was getting nothing but praise for ages. Did they really do a 180 in terms of quality? I haven't seen it since it apparently changed.
>>
>>63683485
It's definitely one of the best shows to marathon. It's harder to notice the decline when you're getting some decent laughs over the course of 3 or 4 episodes.

But even with marathoning, I almost dropped the show when it came to Pam in season 6.
>>
>>63682757
This. Pam ruined the show.
>>
Krieger is a personification of this website
>>
seasons 1-3 GOAT
season 4 is alright but the decline is noticeable
season 5 premiere is good, and the montage of what was coming in vice was god-tier hype
aaand the rest of the season was utter shit that did not deliver at all
season 6 was slightly better but not as good as 4
>>
>>63683590

Don't have a problem with season 5 or 6 Pam.

Episode where they go to her sister's wedding and fight Barry in a barn was really great.
>>
>>63683701
I might have the seasons wrong since I haven't watched it for a while now. Whichever one had her chomping into cocaine as a punchline every five minutes is the season that got old for me.
>>
File: images (1).jpg (10 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
10 KB, 300x168
You can say what you like about Archer declining in quality but this guy right here is the best gay character in any tv show or movie. Best gay character of all time.
>>
>>63683590
>>63683701
>>63683795
season 5 DUDE COKE LMAO pam is unequivocally awful and if you disagree you are wrong

they tried to spin her constant ruining of everyone's plans by DUDE EATING ALL THE COKE LMAO as humor but they did it so often and it was so counterproductive that it just ended with everyone fucking hating her, myself included
>>
File: 1449507317805.jpg (141 KB, 542x530) Image search: [Google]
1449507317805.jpg
141 KB, 542x530
>GOD TIER
mallory
ray

>GREAT TIER
ray
s1-3 cheryl
krieger

>GOOD TIER
lana

>OKAY TIER
cyril
s1-3 pam

>FUCK OFF TIER
s4-6 pam
s4-6 cheryl

best side characters are Barry and the KGB director. Katya is alright as well

best episode is the blimp episode

>and M, as in Mancy!
>...
>"WHAT??!?!"

that shit had me in stitches
>>
>>63683570
Season 5 called Archer Vice left a really sour taste in peoples mouths.

Huge drop in quality, but I think its because they couldnt do ISIS anymore(for obvious reasons) and probably found out midway through a proper ISIS S5, but because of current events, they had to redo a S5 and we got the pretty shitty Archer Vice.
>>
>>63684042
fuck, that should be archer in god tier
>>
>>63684047
One would think them keeping the name ISIS and people mistaking them for a terrorist organization could lead to some hilarious hijinks 2bh
>>
>>63684181
Probably would have if ISIS wasnt as big as it became.

Or if FOX had any balls.
>>
>>63683570
Not a complete 180 in my oppinion, but it has certainly lost some of it's mojo. As mentioned a great deal due to Pam's progression from an extremely lonely damaged person, and a gossipy hedonist who's the but of the joke with a shady life outside of the office wich no one seems to care about, to a just complete batshit over the top crazy cocaine addict bitchwaffle. I still like Cheryl though, and their pairing still gets me to chuckle-town every once in a while.
>>
>>63683638
redditor detected
>>
>>63682642
Archer still has the best voice acting on television.
>>
File: Slater.jpg (58 KB, 630x354) Image search: [Google]
Slater.jpg
58 KB, 630x354
>>63684042
>god tier
>mallory
>not the based god
>>
File: 1449862105572.jpg (43 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
1449862105572.jpg
43 KB, 600x400
>>63683638
Hellloooo reddit!
>>
>>63683673
>season 5 premiere is good, and the montage of what was coming in vice was god-tier hype
aaand the rest of the season was utter shit that did not deliver at all
Agreed. They had a great premise there, but it seems like they just didn't know what to do with it after a while. Like a one-off joke that they stretched on to long without any idea how to expand on it.
>>
Say what you will about the show now days but the main man himself is still great plus Jessica Walter is still fantastic as Mallory.
>>
>>63684181
>>63684232
>Adam Reed: "There were people online saying that we should address it and say, ‘Oh, I can’t believe these guys have co-opted our name.’ That’s the way South Park would do it, coming after them and saying, ‘These assholes stole our name,’ but that’s not the way the Archer universe works, where it’s all our own creations. In our universe, they don’t exist.”
>>
And here's the real life Malory

or is it the UK Home Secretary, Theresa May

I really can't tell
>>
The first three seasons were easily the best. The series really started to crap out once they turned cyril and pam into agents for no reason,then they just got rid the rest of the staff (even though they were barely shown) for no real reason either.

If you ask me, they are slowly butchering their own great characters by involving them more and more. It literally just got to a point where Pam and Cheryl would get into the episode because they either snuck their way into the plot or used cheryls wealth.
>>
>DUDE PEOPLE YELLING LMAO
>>
>>63684446
>>63684181
>>63684047
No reason they couldn't have kept the name. They're just faggots bowing to the PC pressure of not being offense "in the wrong way".
>>
File: 1349326483896.gif (1020 KB, 400x204) Image search: [Google]
1349326483896.gif
1020 KB, 400x204
This show seriously succumbed to the problem of "start with a large cast of characters and two seasons later the only people that exist are the main 6 ones". Really obvious when you marathon
>>
>>63682642
How would you fix it, /tv/?
>>
>>63684938
>kill pam
>put them all back into an office accepting regular missions like in s1-4
>give lana more funny shit, she's literally been a flat board of nonhumor for the last 3 seasons
>relax with the lana and archer relationship shit
>>
File: mao say CLEAN.png (113 KB, 496x332) Image search: [Google]
mao say CLEAN.png
113 KB, 496x332
>>63682642
Have not one of you faggots ever watched Frisky Dingo? Similar but older art design, Reed shoves it's jokes into Archer wherever he can because he knows it was better than anything he can come up with now.
>>
>>63684347
This desu, half the reason I watch it is just to hear Jon Benjamin's sweet voice and be reminded of Coach McGuirk. Then I go and watch Home Movies.
>>
>>63685140
Nope, but maybe I'll check it out.
>>
>>63685140
Why does it say "Welcome to *you are* DOOM!"? What does that even mean?

And why you God's sakes is "DOOM!" in quotes??
>>
Has anyone noticed how Malory Archer and Lucille Bluth are totally the same character?
>>
>>63684042
Krieger is underrated
>>
>>63685973
No they're not. Very similar though. The actress just uses the same voice sometimes for both her characters. Mallory is a bit more over the top.
>>
>>63685973
Lucille is a spoiled housewife.
Mallory is a manipulative bitch who'll do anything to get what she wants and is actually good at it.
>>
File: Chuck.jpg (937 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
Chuck.jpg
937 KB, 1920x1200
Archer is fine. This is a travesty.
>>
>>63684550

This tbqh, the series started declining at some point in season four, and after the finale I haven't seen any of seasons five and six.

Reed should get other writers.
>>
>>63687795
First two seasons were good. Everything after was shit.
>>
>>63682841
>has there ever been a worse butchering of a funny character?
Kevin Malone being made borderline retarded
>>
File: Fuck are you staring at.webm (2 MB, 716x480) Image search: [Google]
Fuck are you staring at.webm
2 MB, 716x480
>>63685478
>>63685866
http://www.adultswim.com/videos/frisky-dingo/this-is-for-cody/

Wendel is best character
>>
File: 1447447597180.jpg (18 KB, 400x386) Image search: [Google]
1447447597180.jpg
18 KB, 400x386
>>63685140
>>63685304
>Home Movies and Frisky Dingo are gone and never coming back and Archer just won't die
>>
Dexter and Hannibal.
>>
>>63682642
normally for shows with a seasonal fluctuation in my i r8 ?/8 rating, i'd draw a graph

archer's an exception because the first two seasons are the best and every season after is worse

it probably goes

1 - 8/8
2 - 7/8
3 - 6/8
4 - 5/8
5 - 2/8
6 - 1/8

they forgot what made the show funny around the end of season 4

why would they to with the dynamic for fuck's sake

like >>63682757 said, the format is what made it funny, it was archer being hypercompetent despite being blasé and reckless, with lana playing the 'straight man' but also being hypercompetent

so season 5 they blow up the format, all the jokes are coke + pam and cheryl being a country singer

season 6 they try to return to the old format but it's gg and they can't write funny plotlines or jokes any more, and everything's about the archerXlana relationship. it only gets a 1/10 instead of a 0 from me because the episode where they meet lana's parents had like 3 good jokes in it.
>>
>>63685140
i dont get how people are watch archer and not frisky dingo. i'd rather them get ian micheal black and finish the xtacles then do another season of archer.

one thing i will say is watching sealab and then FD its neat to see how they build upon their comedy and the use of an overarching plot
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.