[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Signal Blocking Cell Phone Cozy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 5
File: Lockable Cell Phone Cozy.jpg (13 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Lockable Cell Phone Cozy.jpg
13 KB, 640x360
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20151203/10192932979/dave-chappelle-thinks-sock-dream-will-keep-people-using-phones-shows.shtml

Dave Chappelle Thinks A Sock And A Dream Will Keep People From Using Phones At Shows

from the mandatory-civility dept

During a recent 13-night run at Thalia Hall in Chicago Dave Chappelle tried something different. He partnered with a company by the name of Yondr in an attempt to keep attendees from not only taking photos or videos, but from so much as sending an emoji during the program. Yondr's solution to public performance cell phone etiquette is basically a smart cell phone sock. Or perhaps a cell phone cozy if you're a grandma (hi grandma). Effectively it's a pouch that attendees of an event are forced to put their devices in if they want to enter the performance: (pic)

The technology claims to be relatively effortless, with a performance venue surrounded by a perimeter. Inside of said perimeter, the phone in the sexy sock is locked and won't work. To use your phone (or, say, call 911), users need to exit through a set of technically-unspecified sensor gates, and head out the lobby:

"Attendees at any of Chappelle's 13 sold-out Thalia Hall performances will be greeted by staffers handing out gray smartphone sleeves, available in three sizes. They are then instructed to place their phones inside the sleeves and fasten them, at which point they are welcome to carry them inside the venue.

As soon as they enter the "no-phone zone," however, the pouches will have locked shut, preventing anyone from firing off so much as a winking emoji. Need to make a call or send an email? No problem. Simply leave the designated zone (and head, say, to the lobby bar), and, as you move past several strategically placed stations, the pouches can now magically be unlocked."

cont.
>>
>>63671109

It's obvious to see the appeal for some folks given the recent hysterics surrounding bizarre behavior during Broadway performances. And while admittedly most of us remain nitwits when it comes to cell phone etiquette, it's hard to not see the peaceful cozy cell phone sock as a bit of a pipe dream.

As it stands, there's nothing stopping an individual from hiding a phone, with the act of removing that person probably causing more disruption to the audience and artist than just letting them take a photo would have. It also seems inherently dangerous in the age of seemingly endless mass shootings to disrupt all cell phone communications in an entire venue, which is why the FCC has historically banned outright cell phone signal blocking (Yondr claims that venue staff's phones will still work, but it still seems dangerous).

I think it probably feels good to believe you're force feeding civility and decorum upon the brutish and inconsiderate masses, but at the end of day, those thinking that hope and a phone cozy are a replacement for etiquette (or will stop people from recording their experiences) will probably be disappointed, especially as we stumble toward our inevitable, transhumanist future, and our implants, phones, cameras, and other devices become increasingly difficult to detect.

FIN
>>
I should be able to use my phone whenever I want. Fuck etiquette, this isn't the fucking 17th century.
>>
>>63671109

What a fucking crybaby
>>
>>63671281
No shit, his job us to go up on stage and tell jokes. Why does he care if people have a cell? People should mind their own.bus I was, if I want to text during a play or movie I should be able to
>>
>>63671241
Yeah I know right?! We should all be running around like retards and flinging shit at each other.
>>
>>63671308
>If I want to text during a play or movie I should be able to
>>63671241
>Fuck etiquette
>>63671281
>crybaby

Americans, ladies and gentlemen!
>>
>>63671241
Yeah FUCK THAT, everyone get hormones and become transexuals
>>
>>63671366
Why does it matter if someone uses a phone in a 'll movie or performance?
Does it interrupt? Nope.
You should just mind your own fucking business, you prancing faggot
>>
>>63671385
Hey look, another control freak European with no freedom supporting an absurd idea!
>>
Chapelle is washed up and doesn't want people leaking his standup onto youtube, so more people actually attend his shows.

Mongoloids.
>>
>>63671398
Nah, how about we just eject you from the premesis, because the majority isn't about to put up with your overly entitled numbskullery?
>>
>>63671461
So what? I can just watch it on the internet later.
What the point of even go I g to shows and shit when you can watch it on your phone?
Get with the times, phones are part of your body now and telling me I can't text is silencing my voice. No one has that right
>>
>>63671516
>I can just watch it on the internet later.
Then have fun with that, so long.
>>
>>63671532
But why shouldn't I be able to whip out my phone and pass time during a show if it is boring? Do you just pay attention to one thing all the time for hours?
>>
>>63671241
i should be able to annoy audience members around me whenever i want because im a fat neck beard man child whose mom still looks after him

do you talk during movies in theaters as well, assuming people will talk to you
>>
File: 189342545.png (3 KB, 500x252) Image search: [Google]
189342545.png
3 KB, 500x252
>>63671554
your bait is dumb and lazy
>>
>>63671575
Why don't those audience members mind their own business? Watch the show nigga, don't harass me just for.wanting to text
>>63671576
How old are you? I can't even watch a movie at home without pausing it at least twice. We need people to realize attention spans and such have changed and you can't ask people to sit still for 2 hours and watch just one thing
>>
>>63671646
>the world needs to reorient itself around my diminished ability to function as an adult
Nah
>>
>>63671441
>America
>Freedom
Not for much longer
>>
>>63671646
>We need people to realize attention spans and such have changed and you can't ask people to sit still for 2 hours and watch just one thing

It is normal to be retarded nowadays.
>>
Seems like a terrible idea. On top of the obvious shooting/hostage situation, people in the audience should be able to receive calls in case of family or work related emergencies.
>>
>>63671646
I know this is bait, but unless you're sitting in the very back, the light off your phone, even dimmed, is flashing in the face of everyone behind you. That's why places like the drafthouse actually will eject people if they catch you with phones out.

http://youtu.be/1L3eeC2lJZs
>>
>>63671913
>people in the audience should be able to receive calls in case of family or work related emergencies.

And how did they do that before the age of the cell phone I wonder? Why, society didn't work of course!
>>
>>63671913
>go to dave chappelle's new performance
>have to put my phone into grey sock i can't open
>my mother fell down the stairs and desperately tries to call me (the only number she can remember since her dementia became even worse)
>mom dies while i laugh at chappelle's new material
>>
File: Muhphone.jpg (98 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Muhphone.jpg
98 KB, 1920x1080
>>63671646
>and you can't ask people to sit still for 2 hours and watch just one thing

You mean the people who paid to go there can't sit and watch what they just paid to go and see? No one is on their phones for side entertainment when at a concert or show. They just want to do the typical self adsorbed social media BS and get something out there for the loooooooooook at meeeeeeeeeee points.

I doubt this sock thing is going to solve any of that really. Newer generations are so coddled growing up they can't even fathom the idea that their needs don't come before the over all group.

Panning shots from the Adel show that ran on NBC the other night was just sad. Cell phones all over the place for an event that is going to be shown on network tv in HD and 5.1 sound. Do you really need a shitty cell phone vid too? Oh wait, that's right I forgot about posting to social media for the loooooooooooooook at meeeeeeeee points.
>>
>>63671966
Why even use cars? Horses or walking.should be fine.
Grow the Fuck up and realize that it's 2015 and people need their phones. Honestly can't wait for people like you to die out so I can use my phone anywhere
>>
File: 1391544154966.jpg (1 MB, 1929x1941) Image search: [Google]
1391544154966.jpg
1 MB, 1929x1941
>>63671940
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L3eeC2lJZs

Americans are so uncouth.
>>
>>63671516
>No one has that right
The people who own the premises do. If the house rules say no phones then you are in the wrong and they have every right to kick you out.
>>
>>63672036
he's not an adult, it's "in" for edgy contrarian schoolkids to be anti-phone.
>>
>>63671109
God tier idea, hopefully they figure out something like this and mandate it in a lot of venues.
>>
>>63671977
Exactly. Life threatening emergencies happen all the time.
In that kind of situation, even if the person has already been taken to the hospital, I want to be notified ASAP. I don't care who I interrupt.
>>
>>63672129
cant wait for this to backfire and something like the guy you quoted actually happening.

have fun getting sued, dave.
>>
How can they force me to comply?
"No, I don't have a phone."
>>
>>63672036
>so I can use my phone anywhere

oh please, there are a handful of places a person can't use their phones and every single one of them is fully justified. Most of the time it's banned due to phones being a distraction and nothing in the future is going to change that. Well ok self driving car tech should remove cell phone use as an issue but that's about it.

Never going to able to use them when in court, jury duty, class rooms or any place else that is looking to ban distraction or control information flow.
>>
>>63672196
>Never going to able to use them in class rooms
lel
>>
What self-respecting person would put their phone in a little cuck pouch just to see washed up conspiracy theory nigger dave chappelle?
>>
>>63672190
They'll find it when you disrobe in the showers
>>
Who the fuck goes to a Chapelle show? ahahahahahha
>>
>>63671516
>>63671554
>underage detected
only children get that addicted to phones
>>
>>63672196
> courts and.jury
No.one has the attention span or.time to sit.on some fucking jury.
I had jury duty and zoned out constantly, I voted guilty because I just assumed the older.guy was listening. Thinking was an assaulting Rob very or maybe car theft, honest I thought it would be like tv but it was super boring
>>
>>63672371
did literally the same thing when i got duty last year lol

defendant was a nigger anyway so not like it mattered
>>
>>63671398
>>63671308
>>63671241
Then don't buy a Chappelle ticket. Easy as that

>wahh he's being MEAN!!
>>
>>63672154
>have fun getting sued, dave.

no legal grounds. If they were using illegal jammer tech then sure but asking one to put their phone into a case is voluntary. They don't search you and take your phone. The cases just cut down on impulse phone use and nothing more. Plus you can't sue over someone not being able to reach you. You really think that's how liability works? If that was the case companies would be getting sued right now for dropped calls.

people will still bring phones, not bother to case them and just not use them. Ya know as in acting like an adult and not a child.
>>
>>63672388
Same here it was a nigger and I figured he would just commit again later so why not just send him to prison now and save some cash
>>
>>63671646
>I have adhd you need to pander to me!
>I'm addicted to my phone! the world needs to revolve around my needs
that's not freedom. Your just as asshole.
>>
>>63672129
But you'll still be notified ASAP. By my understanding this is just preventing you from using your phone inside. So you'll still receive calls. Just step outside to take the call
>>
>>63672436
Why should people.compromise? You should be free to use your phone when you want.
Other people can just deal with it
>>
how does the sock lock automatically like that? i'd love to have self locking socks that don't fall down when i leave the house
>>
All new performance areas should just be constructed with built-in faraday cages, so that your phone just loses signal as soon as you enter.
>>
>>63672480
>Forget to put on silent mode
>Get a call
>Can't access your phone to hang up or put it back on silent mode without getting it, with it ringing, walking out to their unlocking station, then playing with your phone

Brilliant.
>>
>>63672483
if you are free to use your phones I should be free to masturbate on your back during the performance. I DEMAND TOTAL FREEDOM
>>
>>63672628
sounds good to me
>>
>>63672269
I would. He has solid stand up.
>>
>>63672628
I don't care as long as you Jack off silently.it's none of my.business and I have no.right to tell you what to do
>>
>>63672628
https://youtu.be/RD5mxffn0ac?t=106
>>
>>63672699
are you into being a cuckhold by chance?
>masterbate on guy's back
>take his girlfriend for the evening
Iet this man use his phone!
>>
>>63672809
No, just someone who understand people should be free and to.not oppress them.
We need a judgement free society, liberated from all hate
>>
>>63672488
>leave house
>sock squeezes your foot off

i also wonder how that works though
it's a pretty nice idea because people can't behave themselves with their cellphones
>>
>>63672859
if the people who own the teater say no phones allowed and you still use one, then you are oppressing them. They have the freedom to not allow whatever they want and you agreed to those terms when you bought their ticket.
>>
>>63673109
That's oppressive. The gov should make rules about that, not individuals
>>
>>63672483
>You should be free to use your phone when you want.
>Other people can just deal with it

or other people can ask you to not use your cell phone and you have to just deal with it. This strange idea that the wants of one person some how trumps the desires and wants of many is part of the reason everyone mocks millennials.

>I want it
>so it should be
>being I want it
we don't want it, so no.
>We? So? I want it!!
>>
>>63673196
you oppress others by using your phone as well. I can see your bright ass phone screen from a mile away. Even with the brightness down everyone can see that light in the dark and everyone close has to listen to you tap away. Just have some common courtesy for once in your entitled spoiled life.
>>
>>63673432
I do t owe you anything. We are just in a room together. Stop being so privileged
>>
>>63673590
>demands privilege
>tells others to stop having privilege
has to be b8m8
>>
>>63671308
>>63671398
>>63671441
>>63671516
>>63671646

millennials
>>
>>63672599
>Hold button silences the ringer on every smart phone i have ever seen.
>>
File: ed57vqj0wiehr7cvb11t.gif (1 MB, 250x167) Image search: [Google]
ed57vqj0wiehr7cvb11t.gif
1 MB, 250x167
ive had people kicked out places for not turning their goddamn screens down (refusing to put it away when summoned mgt asks them to) . its a wonderful feeling.
unfortunately the time i spend doing it, and not enjoying whatever im there to see, is a drawback.
>>
>>63671241
>>63671308
If you want to text stay home and text your imaginary friends to your little hearts desire
Let the people who actually want to enjoy a play it Dave chapelle go to watch those things
>>
>>63672036
[CURRENT YEAR]
>>
>>63672036
>Grow the Fuck up and realize that it's 2015 and people need their phones.

You must be some kind of Fortune 500 CEO or something to be so busy that a call can't wait.

>Honestly can't wait for people like you to die out so I can use my phone anywhere

I'd throw you out too. Chappelle is doing nothing wrong but taking out the annoying fucks talking and texting all the time instead of paying attention to whatever is in front of them.
>>
Wouldn't it be easier to say "no phones allowed"? And then if someone smuggled one in and is caught, they'll be taken out.

Seems like a less draconian version of this. Then you dont have people suing you for "B-B-BUT WHAT ABOUT MUH EMERGENCIES!!"
>>
>>63672371

You're the reason why people are so shit today.

Can't function without their phones and have the attention span of a goldfish. You potentially ruined someone's life because you couldn't be fucked to listen because you'd rather be browsing Facebook on your phone.

This is everyone younger than 25 today.
>>
>>63672556

This seems like the best thing to do if you dont want people using their phones inside a building. Either tell them they cant bring them in, or do your shows in one of those buildings where signals can't penetrate it. We all know those places where you can't get a signal at all. No one seems to complain, they just go outside.

Then simply dont offer free wifi either so people can't use wifi calling. Problem solved.
>>
wow, this guy is one self centered bastard, i mean, if he is as funny as he says he shouldnt be concerned about people getting bored and using their phone

also, what if people has an emergency? what if a loved one got into an accident or something? lol doesn't matter you came here to laugh xD
>>
>>63672036
>people need their phones
no you don't. you want your phone. are you 7?
>>
I sneak in cheap dollar stores snacks like Hot Tamales specifically so I can throw them at people using their phone.
>>
>>63672154
>plaintiff?
>ah yeah so i put my phone in this sock thing and then my grandpa died
>i see. and what is your claim against the defendant?
>well i put my phone in this sock thing so i didn't know about it
>case dismissed please kill yourself
>>
why are people so retarded
>THEY CANT DO THAT
you did it. it was voluntary. if you want to see the show you have to use a phone condom
>>
>>63676530
>also, what if people has an emergency? what if a loved one got into an accident or something?
Because 99.999% of the time, this is not the case.
That guy texting is not a doctor receiving a message calling him in to work in the ER, he is a common nigger having an irrelevant conversation with his "boy".
>>
>>63676530
>also, what if people has an emergency? what if a loved one got into an accident or something? lol doesn't matter you came here to laugh xD

MUH EMERGENCIES!

I just have no idea how people used to do it before cellphones were a thing!
>>
>>63672556
>>63676524

Secondary feature: terrorists won't be able to remotely detonate any bombs. Is YOUR local theatre remote-bomb proof?
>>
>>63676757
>>63676730

literally under aged

Please, come back when you know how the real world works.
>>
>usher: Sir do you have a phone?
>anon: No
>usher: o-ok please go in
>phone was in my sock the whole time.

heh
>>
>>63676803
>identifyingbait.jpg
>>
>>63672362
Said the faggot glued to his computer screen.
>>
>>63672362
literally not true. i'd guess that >95% of people with smart phones are addicted
>>
I like to accidentally drop the semi filled drinks people leave in the cinema ontop of people using their phones.

It's my privilege ;)
>>
>>63672483
>Why should people.compromise?
because they want to see the show and it's a requirement?
>muh imaginary rights
>>
On the rare occasion when I actually go see a movie at a theater I always turn off my phone because I'm Paranoid about it going off even if it's on silent

That being said as long as someone isn't being bothersome they should be able to at least check their phone if they need to and if they're bothering me I'll ask them to stop or get the usher
>>
>>63671575
>a fat neck beard man child whose mom still looks after him
those are not the people who use cell phones during movies and concerts
not even close
>>
>>63672036
I feel old now
when I got my first cell phone, kids in my class would mock me about it and try to break it
>>
>>63677360
I do
>>
>go to the cinema
>some fucking cunt in a row in front of me blinds me because the fag got a text

people like this should be executed. I'm all for a method to get rid of the cellphone cancer
>>
>>63676876
>security sees you with phone inside building
>they throw you out

It all ends well.
>>
>>63671109
What happens when someone beats off into them? Will it lock onto the dick? Is this the future of cinema wanking?
>>
>>63671241
if i can't go up on the stage, call dave chappelle a nigger and punch him in the face, then my rigts are being infringed
>>
Why are people so obsessed with their phones now?

Same type of people who use facebook and twitter

Sad as fuck
>>
>>63671241
Die
>>
>>63671241
>>63671281
>>63671308
>>63671398

le entitled ADD addled retard generation
>>
>>63678060

They call about "muh emergencies" but really they're mad that they can't use their phone to take pictures of them being at shows and showing it to everybody online. Pretty much what
>>63672031
said.
>>
This thread proves disgusting normies infiltrated /tv/
>>
>>63671109
Worked wonders at Bataclan recently, family.
Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.