[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>mfw I just watched RoTS last night and it really clicked
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 188
Thread images: 13
File: image.jpg (289 KB, 1018x1500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
289 KB, 1018x1500
>mfw I just watched RoTS last night and it really clicked for me in a way it hadn't since I saw it in cinemas a decade ago.
I actually think RoTS is well written, or at lesst well plotted
The entire movie is you strapped to a rocket headed for A New Hope.

RoTS is AT LEAST on par with the OT, the reason people find things to nitpick is because it's not very tonally similar to the OT. It's an epic tragedy, whereas the OT is a fun adventure trilogy.

Watch RoTS again guys. Go in with sn open mind, I promise you'll love it.

>inb4 image.jpg
I'm at work.
>>
The last scene where Anakin is burning up while Obi yells that he loved him is probably the best scene in the entire franchise.
>>
no fucking shit, its a Vader origin story

the previous two had not established any connection with the OT
>>
>>63668668
it sucks because of the shitty dated cgi.
>>
You guys have taken the memes too far. The only way I can see truly enjoying ROTS is if you can fully become acclimatized to Lucas' autism which just pervades every aspect of the movie
>>
>>63668897
>if you can fully become acclimatized to Lucas' autism
OP here. You hit the nail on the head.
I think the episode II romance is one of the best in cinema. I'm not being at all facetious.
>>
>>63668938
But there's nothing to the romance.

The best part of the romance is the shot into the stadium where they kiss, but there's no real build up before it.

There's a build up, but it's not as strong as it should be.
>>
>>63668668
RotS is a great film
>>
>>63668982
>my heart is beating, hoping that that kiss will not become a scar

>If you are suffering as much as I am, PLEASE tell me.

It's a kid raised by celibate monks trying to cope with forbidden love.
>>
It's a trainwreck on many aspects but I thought the last scene on Tatooine with the reprised Binary Sunset is breddy good.

Surprisingly Lucas thought of a great scene to bridge the OT and PT, close the circle and put a bow on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8J2l0XQG0g
>>
File: Dex_Diner_klanten.jpg (46 KB, 768x325) Image search: [Google]
Dex_Diner_klanten.jpg
46 KB, 768x325
>>63668890
And the fucking 50's diner.
>>
yeah ROTS has always been alright
>>
>>63669024
Anakin doesn't abide by those teachings though.
The character is written to have always been infatuated with Padame.

As a result, their relationship isn't a test of Anakin's ideals, but more along the lines of getting Padame to go along with it all.

That's why the Stadium kiss should've been the first one, because it would've served as a culmination to their feelings for one another.

If they would have had both characters slowly warm to one another rather than outright, it would've made their acceptance of their deaths and their romance all the better.
>>
File: normal_swe2_2787.jpg (7 KB, 396x169) Image search: [Google]
normal_swe2_2787.jpg
7 KB, 396x169
>when you see it
>>
>>63668668

Revenge of the Sith is an overall alright film, but that "NOOOoooo ending" ruined it for everyone.
>>
>>63668833
The best scene of the prequels is Owen and Beru holding baby Luke
>>
>>63669095
wut
The whole point is that he's confused.
It's not that he believes in the ideals, but he is a nervous kid that doesn't want to let Obi-Wan and the order down (fear of shame), but he also wants nothing more than Padme.
I think it's very well done.
>>
>>63669047
Obi-Wan's subplot was fucking fantastic
>>
>>63669120
nah
good shitpost tho

I'd be yelling NO too if my wife just died.
>>
>>63669026
I like the closing scenes, it's such a shame the rest of the trilogy is such a mess.

god damn did aunt beru age like shit tho
>>
>>63668668

RotS will forever be biased to me because it's just an entire movie destroying everything I hated in the prequels. And for that I can never not enjoy the movie. I honestly get very hyped when order66 is issued
>>
>>63668668
It almost makes up for AotC and TPM because you, well I did anyway, actually feel for Anakin's story and that there's something at stake. It's just such a squandering of several movies to get there, and it's still a huge letdown as much is so badly writen, like the whole war plot which makes no sense/doesn't invest the viewer.

But despite its many problems it is at least a watchable movie with a few scenes that are actually good, which mainly concern the Emperor and a few moments with Anakin's plight. At the same time the transformation into Vader has huge problems.. there's not a lot of reason for Anakin to turn against the Jedi. Why would he really betray them? And why the hell would he kill children? It's poorly written.

It's amazing that there's still some powerful moments in this movie. It makes you wonder how great this movie could've been with better writing.
>>
>>63669161
No you wouldn't.
>>
>>63669161
What about if your wife's son died?
>>
>>63669161
Personally I'd be hallucinating and yelling insane random phrases replete with close up of my skin underneath the suit sweating profusely.

But a cartoony "NoooooooOOoo" also works.
>>
>>63669179
Yeah, they were both qt, have a new kid, and look very much in love.

Why couldn't it be all on that level?
>>
>>63669143
It is never shown in the second film that he's confused at all towards her.

There's even a scene where he talks of a loophole in what it means to love another person when they're travelling to Naboo.

Then we're made to think it actually torments him because that terrible dialogue scene tells us so.

The lines are so Shakespearean, the shots so flat that nothing comes across anyway.
>>
>>63669227
>The lines are so Shakespearean, the shots so flat that nothing comes across anyway.
Are you really admitting that it's 2deep4u?
>>
File: faggot.jpg (32 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
faggot.jpg
32 KB, 600x450
>RoTS is at least on par with the OT

No. Not it isn't you handicap.
>>
>>63669206
They should've just had him lay there motionless in the suit while the camera panned up and out.

That way the scene would've mirrored Padames funeral scene, that Vader was now dead inside, that it was all to late for him.

Every scene sort of rhymes with the last.
>>
>>63669280
These films needed more poetry
>>
>>63669275
>
There is nothing wrong with the CGI

Also, the tauntauns look worse than CGI, so fuck off.
>muh chunky stop motion movement
>>
>>63669272
You bait is in my very soul, tormenting me.

I am haunted by the reply I should never have given you.
>>
>>63668938
I've seen you post this before and I can't express how much I disagree with you
>>
>>63669335
Pretty funny desu, but seriously, it being filmed and acted the way it was was more intentional than people think.
It's stilted to reflect a doomed romance tinged with dramatic irony.
>>
>>63669275
i must have missed out on the latest oddworld game
>>
>>63669380
It was filmed and written like that because Lucas is poor at writing dialogue as opposed to scenarios along with the shot-reverse-shot filming used throughout.

It's like watching a daytime TV drama.
>>
>>63669435
>he fell for the shot reverse shot is bad meme
There is literally nothing wrong with it. Nothing.
>>
>>63668938
I refuse to believe anyone other than geoge Lucas thinks that "romance" was well done
>>
>>63669521
Ok, dissenting opinions are always trolling.
You're right.
>>
>>63669275
Oh god. I had completely forgot about this scene until now
>>
>>63669465
It's fine a really heavy dialogue scene, but it's also lazy in the respect that it doesn't fit well for the medium.

In literature you can rely on the inner thoughts of characters to carry along a long conversation or a spew of expository dialogue and have it be interesting.

With film it's a predominately visual medium, which means you have the chance to show intentions and emotion through focus and body language.

For example, you could have a shot displaying Anakin and Padame on opposite ends of frame to indicate the distance between them, or a quick shot of Padame's hand retreating while Anakin confessed to show she is uncertain of it all.

That's using the medium to its fullest.
A camera B camera profile shots don't add anything to the scene.
>>
>>63669623
>For example, you could have a shot displaying Anakin and Padame on opposite ends of frame to indicate the distance between them, or a quick shot of Padame's hand retreating while Anakin confessed to show she is uncertain of it all.
Padme's ruminations is wxactly what you're describing.
>>
>>63669212
just more reasons to hate sand
>>
>>63669960
He doesn't actually hate sand, he just dislikes it.
>>
It was well plotted, bur Lucas goes full retard with the dialogue
>you're so beautiful
>it's only because i'm so in love
>no, no, because i'm so in love with you

>unlimited powaaaaah

> it's too late, i have the high ground

>if you're not with me, then you're my enemy!
>>
It's funny that the elements of a typical romcom is there between Anakin and Padme, it's the quality of dialogue that sucks.

>I call it agressive negotiations
>>
File: 14366112736574.jpg (115 KB, 1252x1252) Image search: [Google]
14366112736574.jpg
115 KB, 1252x1252
it...won't...end...
>>
RoTS has always been the favorite Star Wars movie. Get rekt nostalgia fags.
>>
>>63670579
>not loving that line
but you like le scruffy nerf hearder le walking carpet
'ok'

PT dectractors are fucking delusional beyond anything i've ever seen.
>>
Dude, all the prequels have great fucking stories with complex characters and relationships and some beautifully evocative visual storytelling.

They just also have dense, confounding narratives, horrible dialogue, poor actor direction, and stilted line delivery.

And that's saying nothing of the highly divisive special effects.
>>
Ewan really fucking tried to pull it all together. By far the best performance in the prequels.
>>
>>63670707
What?
I love that line, it's what I mean by there's typical romcom stuff.

it's the other stuff I hate
>>
File: 1450069728092.png (683 KB, 1136x640) Image search: [Google]
1450069728092.png
683 KB, 1136x640
>>63670734
>>
>>63668833
best scene is Sheev talking to Anakin at that prom
>>
>>63668668
>meanwhile commercials play in the back of everyones minds as the theme songs play

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R55e-uHQna0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqp7nMr1P4s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CioPz1rcgDk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRQthTlEn70

fucking disgusting
>>
>>63668668
5>3=4>6>turd>2>1
Everyone else's opinion is invalid
>>
>>63670846
>5 better than 4
hello reddit
>>
>>63670728
This.
I saw a Japanese dub on Youtube (with fake English subtitles) and it made the story a hell of a lot better
>>
At least we got the Auralnauts dubs out of the prequels.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI8aSJBC9u0
I never really understood some of the larger complaints though.
>Too much Senate stuff
Palpatine had to rise to power somehow.
>Jar-Jar Binks!
And what, the tiny bear people armed with sticks and stones that somehow fought the Empire were fine?

Some of the CGI has aged incredibly poorly though, and for some reason Episode 2 seems to be the worst with regards to this.
>>
>>63671102
Where exactly has the CGI aged?

I think it's ridiculous how good it all still looks.
>>
>>63671249
flase flag pls
>>
>>63671283
Lot of the stuff in Episode I is incredible for 99.
>>
>>63671406
I agree, but I thought you were false flagging to get prequel bashers to post "shit" CGI from the prequels.
>>
The movies are just there so people will buy more toys
>>
>>63671824
nah
>>
>>63668833
>>63669137
>>63670783

Order 66 scene's pretty good too.
>>
>>63671843
yes.
>>
>>63671922
nope
>>
>>63671871
yeah I really liked the order 66 scene too
>>
>The entire movie is you strapped to a rocket headed for A New Hope.

That's because they had to cram as much poetry as they could into the film so it would wrap up.

It's not a good movie and it's not even as good as the worst of the OT.

Please, end this meme.
>>
>>63672849
>opinions I don't like are memes
Please, end this meme.
>>
>>63671406
Podracing is probably the best thing to come out of episode 1.
>>
File: 1450185624104.webm (3 MB, 750x398) Image search: [Google]
1450185624104.webm
3 MB, 750x398
It's treason then
>>
>>63671102
Episode II aged the worst because Lucas got experimental with cameras and used an early, shit, Sony digital camera. Its max resolution was only 1080p among other things. It was also insanely bulky and cumbersome necessitating lots of flat, static shot-reverse-shot.

However, between that, the pioneering digital backlot techniques, refined editing technology, CGI actor replacement for dangerous stunts, etc Lucas basically pioneered and pushed into the realm of affordability the technology to allow young filmmakers to be much more ambitious on much lower budgets.

I suspect this is why he made the prequels in the first place, he's always been obsessed with improving technology to make filmmaking more accessible and affordable, Eps I-III pushed all that technology into the mainstream.
>>
>>63668890
and what if I said the OT sucks because some scenes look like a Halloween dress up party?
>>
File: 1448159213512.jpg (139 KB, 960x710) Image search: [Google]
1448159213512.jpg
139 KB, 960x710
>>63673325
>>
>>63672994
What is this?
This looks like a heavily face lifted Jedi Academy, but the animation looks different in some places.
Did that dude who promised to make a prequel campaign with the engine actually continue?
>>
>>63669275
>based chicken horse
>based donut speeder
Kickass scene tbqfh m8
>>
>>63669115
Oh man, on the left, you can totally make out the silhouette of Stanley kubrick's shwanz
>>
>An epic tragedy

maybe if we actually liked Anakin or were given reason to view his "fall" to the dark side to be tragic then yes.

That's the reason this and other movies fall flat. Anakin is an annoying little faggot.
>>
>>63673647
Guess you'll never know the infinite joy of being stuckmannized.
>>
>>63668938
bro, like seriously RotS is my favourite Star Wars film but shit, you actually think that episode II isn't the worst piece of garbage that ever hit the screens? you actually enjoyed the sand romance?
>>
>>63671102
in original OT you never saw political staff and shit like this. In original you saw kid who wanted to into an adventure. In prequels you see what? world building? fuck that. It would have been 100% times better if they made either anakin or obi as a the only protagonist, with a proper starting goal and not intergalactic trading shit and remove jar jar and boring political stuff.

>>And what, the tiny bear people armed with sticks and stones that somehow fought the Empire were fine?
Actually even wookies were better than jar jar, even though they server the same purpose (merch). At least we couldn't understand wookies, unlikely that goofy looking, fart jokes abomination that Lucas created.
>>
>>63673647
Reddit's that way m8
>>
>>63674470
It really amuses me that after 10 years on this shithole things have really boiled down to "anything I dislike=literally Reddit/Tumblr"

In my day trolling used to mean something.
>>
The broad plot of the prequels is damned fine and perfectly on point.

The problem is everything else about them. The characters are awful, the dialogue is awful, the scene writing is awful, the scene composition is awful, the special effects are awful, the cinematography is awful, the designs are awful, the acting is awful, the direction is awful.

All the prequels proved was that plot can't carry a trilogy on it's own.
>>
>>63669380
The biggest problem with the whole Padme/Anakin thing is that their romance just comes out of nowhere. There was nothing to build up to it.

We all knew it was coming so we weren't that surprised by it, but it makes no sense for the characters themselves. Padme is clearly uncomfortable with Anakin from the beginning. Turned off by his creepy remarks about her, the way he looks at her, the way he's bitching about being a Jedi and how Obi-Wan is too hard on him.

Then out of nowhere she lets him kiss him when they're standing on that balcony or whatever when it would have really made perfect sense for her to react like "WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?"

Then either that night or the next he EXPLODES about how she's tormenting him and that he needs her (begging for sex) and she's just like "Uuuh I guess I'd like to but we can't." When once again she should be like WHAT THE FUCK!?
>>
THE GOOD:
>It has the best CGI out of all the prequels
>Ian McDiarmid going full Emperor
>A few very powerful lines here and there, mostly from Sheev
>The Obi-Wan/Anakin fight was actually really well done until they go outside and fight over the lava

THE BAD:
>Bad dialogue overall, but a few particular lines that are the absolute worst to come out of the prequels("So love has blinded you?")
>The entire opening scene was a fucking mess with no solid tone or direction
>Anakin's turn to the Dark Side was completely unbelievable and didn't feel natural at all
>General Grievous not getting an actual introduction and instead just being thrown into the mix and treated as if we've already met this character before
>Loads of character logic issues, some of which are so blatant that they become flat out plotholes
>Christopher Lee somehow getting even less screen time than he did in Episode 2
>Everything after the Obi-Wan/Anakin fight feels very rushed and becomes a forced game of "connect-the-dots" in an attempt to get everything looking exactly how it does in A New Hope
>The wookiee planet felt shoehorned in. Yoda had nothing to do there, and there's really no reason for him to be there other than to make sure he's not in Jedi Temple when Anakin turns
>>
>>63674682
To be fair, the "love has blinded you" "don't like sand, you are opposite of sand!" crap was in attack of the clones.
>>
>>63674657
every single flaw you mentioned is not true.
Watch the movies, don't partot memes.
>>
>>63674737
prove me wrong
>>
>>63674682
>THE BAD
none of that is objectively true.
WATCH THE MOVIE, DON'T PARROT MEMES.
>>
>>63674728
The "love has blinded you" line was in Episode 3.

Personally, I think that line was worse than Anakin's sand analogy. At least with the sand analogy, you can use the excuse that Anakin is fumbling with his emotions and is just trying to romance her any way he can. He would have absolutely no experience in the realm of romance.

With the "love has blinded you" line, there is no similar excuse. Instead, it's just like Padme suddenly became retarded.
>>
>>63674737
>don't parrot memes bro!
>parrots the "prequels aren't terrible" meme
>>
>>63674728
"Love has blinded you" was ROTS.
>>
>>63674657
The main characters are actually great besides Padme. Or they're great on paper anyway. The nuances of the relationship between Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan and how that affects Obi-Wan/Anakin and Anakin/Palpatine are actually really intriguing, as is the legacy of Anakin's childhood and how it impacts his feelings toward Padme and the Jedi. But most of it is conveyed through subtext or boring one-off lines.

Really though the Prequels have much more complex characters on the whole, it just isn't conveyed in a satisfying way.
>>
>>63674772
No, I'm tired of defending the prequels from people who want to hate them. I've written too many essays on here about them. I have nothing to prove. I see them without cultural memes. You don't. That's fine.
>>
>>63674799
>suddenly
bitch was pretty retarded the entire time.

and god damnit I thought I didn't see episode 3, how the fuck do I know the "love has blinded you" line
>>
>>63674537
>In my day trolling used to mean something.
I'm sorry. So so sorry.

Also I'm not trolling. I really just think a post like that would go over on reddit much better than here.
>>
>>63674728
I don't see how this redeems it at all.

>This is bad, but this is also bad so it makes it better

No, you don't stub your toe and go
>To be fair, my other toe was already stubbed
>>
>>63674823
>its the "no one disliked the prequels until plinkett" maymay

:^)
>>
>>63674841
>to be fair
>>
It's slightly worse than RotJ. If the whole prequel trilogy was as good as RotS, they wouldn't be the punchline that they are.
>>
>>63674817
>it just isn't conveyed in a satisfying way.
OP here, I think it is, which is why I like the three films. The subtext IS there, if you want to see it.

>>63674801
But they are NOT bad movies. They just aren't. I don't know how else to articulate this- just read this. Or don't. I don't think you're open to changing your mind anyway.
http://www.ferdyonfilms.com/2015/star-wars-episode-one-the-phantom-menace-1999-episode-two-attack-of-the-clones-2002-episode-three-revenge-of-the-sith-2005/26568/
>>
>>63674817
That's all broad stroke, background work. The prequels fumble extremely hard any time they attempt to express or play into any of the broad strokes of the franchise. As those scenes require people to act as if they've ever spoken to a human being before.
>>
>>63674823
Is that you Darth Media?

Seriously though, I respect that you like the movies, and some of the stuff the anon you replied to says IS false in my opinion, but at the same time, other things can't be excused. At least in my opinion. I don't think they are the worst thing that ever happened to cinema, but just the fact how different it is from the OT is a huge negative for me and other fans, the same way some people (including myself) hate the new Star Trek movies despite the fact that as far as a brandless action adventure movie would go, the first one from 2009 is objectively good. It's just that as a sequel/adaptation/reboot, these movies have a responsibility to fit the source material in spirit, and the prequels just have an incredibly different approach to everything.
>>
>>63668668
thanks op. reading this gives me a new hope
>>
>>63674851
I didn't say that tho. Have a (You) on the house.
>>
>Well written
Every character is dumb as shit and the reason for it is that Palpatine was making them dumb using his powers
Very well written
>>
>>63674936
I see where you're coming from with that analogy, and while the prequels ARE very different to the OT tonally, I would argue that they aren't that way due to wanting a bigger audience for them, unlike Trek, which JJ made more "broad appeal".
>>
>>63674939
I hope you're being sincere...
Poe's law, you know.
>>
>>63674823
every scene is either breakneck retarded action or two characters talking with nothing else happening. It's fucking painful to watch, you have to force yourself.

The Star Wars movies are the Twilight experience of the Vampire myths. Something that became popular because people didn't know any better.

The Nazi party got popular. Communism was a fad for a while there. People liking something doesn't make it good.

The SW universe is some the laziest writing and blatant lifting from superior space operas that it should sicken anyone who has read just a little of Asimov, Lem, Heinlein, Clarke etc.

It's a fucking injustice that we live in a world where an inferior product properly marketed packaged and sold can completely crush it's entire industry, all competitors and become so big it cannibalizes itself in a cynical and soulless spiral of profit chasing.
>>
>>63674913
You didn't have to force yourself to like them. You were allowed to say "fuck this shit" at any point.

The reason the "hate" is such a "MAYMAY" is because it is simply the natural response. Those people aren't making excuses for the franchise. They aren't trying to ignore basically everything that happened in the prequels to try to justify their enjoyment of the OT/EU/whatever. They aren't performing the mental gymnastics that make >>63675014 into competent writing.

All in all the prequels were written as if by a child. The kid fucks up, he excuses it later with a "that's because!"

Even george fucking lucas had that look of "holy shit what the fuck did I do" all over his face after the initial screening.
>>
>>63674913
I should say that it's not conveyed in a satisfying way for most people. Western audiences have a strong preference for verisimilitude even with blatant fantasy like Star Wars. The broad strokes don't matter, only the details. This is why the Han/Leia romance in Empire is so praised even though it has about the same amount of depth as the Anakin/Padme romance pound for pound. The difference is in how it's conveyed to the audience.

In this light it becomes clear why Empire is the fan-favorite film and TPM the most reviled. ESB focuses on the details while TPM is all about broad strokes.

>>63674935
I don't disagree. Some people find the broad strokes of the prequels worthy of recognition however. I tend to agree since there's not a lot of cinematic long-form storytelling that goes for something similar, especially in the realm of genre films.
>>
>>63675023
True, but at the same time, it matters little WHY they are different, as long as they are different.

Even if I believed that J.J. actually thought he was doing justice to the Star Trek name, that wouldn't change the fact that he didn't.
He made a great action flick, that could be right up there next to action classics from the 80s-90s but with a better look. It's just not what the movie promised to be when it inserted itself into the franchise.
>>
>>63675106
>I tend to agree since there's not a lot of cinematic long-form storytelling that goes for something similar, especially in the realm of genre films.
THIS
Man, you have a way with words.
This is a major reason I find them so interesting. There just aren't a lot of other movies like them out there, big budget wise anyway.
>>
>>63675106
>TPM is most reviled

I think that's just the kneejerk reaction to child actors and jarjar.

AotC seems to be uniformly considered the worst, even though it dumped the kid and jarjar.
>>
>>63675177
You found them interesting because youre stupid and haven't seen enough movies or read enough books to recognise good from bad.

You are the Obama/Trump voter of the movie going public.
>>
>>63671871
>>63672823
>Every Jedi ever goes down like a bitch
Nope. I bet you liked BobaFett's death in ROTJ too
>>
>>63675106
>there's not a lot of cinematic long-form storytelling that goes for something similar, especially in the realm of genre films.

Absolutely. But I'd rather read it than watch it. For in written word, you can go into as much detail and build from there as many broad strokes as you can think up.

There are a large number of reasons complex narratives don't work in film. And the prequels are pretty much a roadmap of those reasons.
>>
File: swtorwaitingfor13.jpg (54 KB, 594x334) Image search: [Google]
swtorwaitingfor13.jpg
54 KB, 594x334
>>63675215
>Arguing about which turd is the stinkiest
>>
>>63675234
I'm. Actually fairly well versed in the art of filmaking, and The Thin Red Line is my favorite film.
For what it's worth (since half the people on here do) I don't find 2001 even remotely unengaging.

I think it's "plebs" the dislike the prequels. They are unpolished, sure, but there is so muchartistry on display in them.
>>
>>63675333
What can I say, I saw attack of the clones in the theater.
>>
>>63675355
>I'm. Actually fairly well versed in the art of filmaking, and The Thin Red Line is my favorite film.

you are a funny guy.
>>
The prequels are good. They are pretty experimental and they don't always succeed but they are definitely interesting movies. Lucas is hated for no reason and the idiots who say "it ruined their childhood" are just parroting at this point. The hate is almost completely unjustified.
>>
>>63675376
I knew that came out kinda fedora-y.
I stand by it tho
>>
>>63675395
People started hating lucas when he started wiping his ass with the original trilogy and destroying all the original prints.
>>
>>63675234
Are you kidding me? Every retard loves to say how much the prequels suck. Patricians know that they prequels are complex movies undeserving of immediate hate.
>>
>>63675395
The prequels are bad.

We can keep arguing like this for hours. And no, I don't have to prove why they're bad, you have to prove what's good about them
>>
>>63675395
The prequels are shitty movies, and no one seriously says that Lucas ruined their childhood.
>>
>>63675060
I haven't seen the films since they were released and I was hypercritical at the time so gonna watch them today with an open mind
>>
It's too fast but I have unpopular star wars tastes. RotS was second wirse imo, worst was clones. My favorite was a new hope by far. Second favorite is a tie between empire and episode 1.
>>
>>63670728
This. Even the political stuff is interesting, but is handled poorly
>>
>>63668668
Literally shaking my head family
>>
>>63675428
Okay, now I agree with this.
Lucas wrecking the OT was just too much.
It's not even the CG that bugs me the most, it's the absolutely atrocious color timing. He RUINED A New Hope.
Thank god for TeamNegative1.
>>
>>63675458
>all the political stuff is interesting
It's Germany in the 30s in space
>>
>>63675441
>No, it is you who are the pleb.
Only the Sith deal in absolutes, Anon.
>>
>>63675448
http://www.ferdyonfilms.com/2015/star-wars-episode-one-the-phantom-menace-1999-episode-two-attack-of-the-clones-2002-episode-three-revenge-of-the-sith-2005/26568/

>hurr tl:dr

>>63675457
My two favorite SW films are 1 and 4.
>>
>>63675441
Liking what "plebs" hate does not make you superior to them.

There are some good ideas in the prequels. They are very poorly actualized. Because lucas surrounded himself with sycophants and took absolute creative control over the prequels, something he had never had at any point in his career, until that point. Something he wielded with belligerence and contempt.
>>
>>63675482
>too much
The special editions predate the prequels.
>>
>>63672928
Good things about episode 1:
>Podrace
>Obi & Qui Gonn vs Maul
>Droid army deploying and attacking gungans
>Scenery and environments

Bad things about episode 1:
>The plot
>The dialogue
>Most of the characters

It's actually aged somewhat well imo, it got a lot of shit at the time but it's not a terrible film. It's just different to the OT.
>>
File: sheevgasm.jpg (63 KB, 1024x436) Image search: [Google]
sheevgasm.jpg
63 KB, 1024x436
>Best score
>Some good action
>Best memes
i love this movie
>>
>>63675560
I know, I was not speaking chronologically.
However, if we're getting technical, he didn't ruin the color timing until the 2004 DVD's.
>>
>>63669047
that's AotC dipshit
>>
The prequels did a far superior job at universe-building. Especially the politics involved that led to the formation of the empire.

Most of the time I hear people bitching (especially for ep I) that the politics are boring and useless. I wish teenagers would stop trying to act like "le prequels don't exist xDD"
>>
>>63675580
>>Best memes
You idiots actually watch movies for the memes?
>>
>>63675646
>everything I don't like comes from people/places I don't like

you have the autisms
>>
>>63675672
triggered highschooler detected
>>
>>63675688
epic burn bro
>>
>>63675485
And that makes it uninteresting why?
>>
>>63668668
Do you think Mace survived? I think that would be the best surprise if he shows up in the new ones as an ancient old man and turns out to be Finn's grandpa.
>>
>>63668668
OP, RoTS is evil
>>
>>63668668
I just watched it last night too after binge watching all of clone wars for the past couple weeks.

The clone wars series makes RotS feel even more tragic.
>>
>>63675778
And Lando can be his son.
>>
>>63675653
no but the memes made the movie enjoyable. same reason why TDKR makes me crack up every time i watch it. it's not complicated dude.
>>
>>63675571
Episode one was a fine but flawed first prequel. It should've gone down as the mediocre first movie leading up to the clone wars and episode 3. Story wise episode 3 should be the greatest and most dramatic movie in the series.

But yes, episode 1 didnt fuck the prequels beyond repair. That was episode 2, it was drastically worse and truly ruined any hope I had for the prequels. Episode 3 was slightly better but had no hope of redeeming the prequel trilogy.
>>
>>63675778
>Mace Windu crawls on screen looking like Benjamin Button.
>Finn runs to him to help stand
>"What are you doing here grandfather?! It's too dangerous to be here."
>"Bah humbug! I fought the freaking Emperor! Could've killed him if not for the fucking Skywalker brat. Let me tell you-!"
>"No grandpa, you don't get it! There's someone here. Anakin's Grandson. He's a Sith Lord."
>Mace Windu's ancient face starts turning red as the rawest Samuel L. Jackson rage overtakes him.
>"ANAKIN'S GRANDKID?! HERE?! A SITH LORD?!"
>Gets a stroke and falls over dead.
>>
>>63675811
more like lando is mace and the reason he went along with vader was to live.
>>
>>63675515
Ok so after reading a couple of paragraphs that explain the OT and claims with out back up, this is his opinion on TPM
>they're good because they reference the OT/ other films
No.
>The story is more complex
>therefore it's good
It would be if it made sense
The only reason it works is that everyone plays
into Palpatine's plan. All of the decisions made by the Trade Federation, his Sith pupils etc. make no sense, they're just forged so Palpatine's plan can play out
>Literally admits TPM is aimed at children
>Also admits the special effects were bad
>ALSO admits that Jar Jar is a borderline ridiculous character with his only redeeming scene being the battle which still can't be taken serious
>Political motifs like destruction of idyllic nature through war machinery, mistrusting peoples uniting to fight a common enemy
Yes, please copy Tolkien more accurately
>The podrace is an amazing piece of cinematography
Ok let's explore his reasons why
>It makes a reference to Ben Hur
References aren't a reason something is good, can we stop with this already? 50% of his arguments why the prequels are good is allusions to other movies. Now I know the OT did this too, but it created its own mythos and had other reasons to be likeable
>Clean, high quality production for its time
This is true and it looks interesting
for 5 minutes but not for 15
>Admits that child actors are garbage
>Brushes over finale giving no real opinion about it

So this is TPM, I'm not gonna do this for the rest because his argumentation is similar and quite a few of these points apply as well
>>
>>63675814
>the MAYMAYS made the movie enjoyable

So what you're saying is you were born in 1997. As before /tv/, the movie was just a trainwreck with no redeeming value.
>>
>>63676225
>I can't read
dam son
>>
>>63676316
>I can't argue
dam son
>>
>new trilogy has female for it's main character

George would have never let this happen
>>
>>63676357
Yeah he'd rather have Jar Jar
>>
>>63676241
>enjoying things is bad
poor baby.
>>
>>63676357

Source on webm please.
>>
>>63668668
5>4>6>3>>1>>>>>>2
>>
>>63671249
agreed, i rewatched the prequels yesterday and was amazed at how well the CGI stands up today. Shitloads better than hobbit and much other modern CGI
>>
>>63676469
Different Anon, but if I'm not mistaken, it's from a dvd they released with the Robot Chicken Star Wars specials. It's a little played up scene where the guy on the left mentions Mara Jade.

Here it is with voice. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A45FQvlfU6Q
>>
>>63676225
>I can't even
dam son
>>
>>63676670
Oh we talking like Starbucks girls now?
>>
>>63676695
>text
dam son
>>
>>63676908
>
d s
>>
>>63676923
>
>>
>>63674336
>doesn't know a wookie from an ewok

Fuck off, this thread is not for you
>>
>>63676946
>>
>>
Number
>>
>"From my point of view the Jedi are evil!"
That ruined Obi-wan and anakins fight
>>
>>63677279
No, it didn't.
Good meme tho
>>
>>63668668
I agree OP, RotS is on par with the originals IMO.
>>
>>63677422
Why do you have such a shit taste?
>>
File: 1449981322847.png (309 KB, 524x496) Image search: [Google]
1449981322847.png
309 KB, 524x496
>>63677472
"sorry"
>>
>>63670774
>>63670734

That last shot of him looking at Owen and beru from the distance before turning away to leave was GOAT.
>>
>>63677550
Are you?
>>
>>63668833
this
Thread replies: 188
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.