[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 8
why?
>>
>rotten tomatoes
>>
>>63659639
>he actually thinks r/t is a legitimate source for criticism

Also check these singles(or not)
>>
>>63659639
I don't know but either way, check em
>>
>critics are plebs who think superhero shit deserves 80's and 90's while anything decent gets between a 60 and 80
Who would've thunk
>>
>67
>>
>it's real
>top critics gave it a 58%

lel fuck off RT
>>
too deep for them
not even kidding
>>
Damn shame it was only 1 point higher than my dubs.
>>
File: 0d6.png (304 KB, 472x470) Image search: [Google]
0d6.png
304 KB, 472x470
>>63659639
>>63661012
>>
>>63661012
OFF BY ONE
>>
>>63659639
>not order 66%

s m h f a m
>>
File: 1450156749462.png (122 KB, 578x329) Image search: [Google]
1450156749462.png
122 KB, 578x329
>>63661084
i think op needs to check his sources next time
>>
>>63661012
>>63661045
>>63661052
Was gonna point this out too.

67 is now the magic number
>>
>>63661099
CHECKED
H
E
C
K
E
D
>>
>>63659639
I'm shocked at how many people think this movie was a serious horror movie
>>
File: 1428420969875.jpg (11 KB, 320x272) Image search: [Google]
1428420969875.jpg
11 KB, 320x272
>>63661099
>>
>>63659639

Honest response, it's because of the ridiculous FEED ME A STRAY CAT + police shootout that pops up out of nowhere. Even the director admitted it was a mistake in the commentary. That alone drags the film way, way down. The rest is pretty great. 67 is a hard pill to swallow, but even without those scenes it was always going to be a 75-80 at best.
>>
>>63661148
How were those scenes a mistake? Bateman has hallucinatory moments throughout the book - he goes to a U2 concert and becomes convinced that Bono is actually the devil.
>>
>>63661148
>>63661205
>explosion
>explosion sound morphs into silence
That was pretty cool desu senpai.
>>
>>63661148
His hallucinations from the stray cat on were a fitting climax and showed you just how fucking crazy Bateman was.
>>
>>63661205

Because they confuse the audience and make them assume he was actually imagining everything, rather than the actual point of everyone being so similar that he's incapable of being outed as the serial killer he is. You can do hallucinations, sure, but you have to do them well. Him shooting at the cops isn't even tongue in cheek, it's shown in the same way as everything else he's done, making the film cartoonish. It's a very real flaw within an otherwise captivating film about the excess and conformity of the '80s.
>>
>>63659639
It's hella stupid
>>
File: dubs_bane.jpg (84 KB, 687x541) Image search: [Google]
dubs_bane.jpg
84 KB, 687x541
>>63659639
The movie could have definitely used some work in several places, particularly with relation to Bateman's mental state. I hate to play doubles advocate, but that stuff with the cat and the shootout could have been handled much better. The ambiguity of whether or not Bateman actually did any of it is handled much better in the book.
>>
>>63661355
Youre a dubs guy
>>
>>63661288
It was very obvious that it was still up in the air. He had hallucinatory moments before, so his final spree didn't exactly stick out.
Paul Allen's clean apartment the next morning still makes me wonder whether they just cleaned that shit up to sell quick without giving a shit (another play on the general indifference of 80s yuppie culture) or he never actually killed those hookers in the first place.

Sure, the climax made it easier to doubt that he killed anyone, but it didn't eliminate the possibility that he had.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (51 KB, 573x308) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
51 KB, 573x308
>>63659639
It's a well known fact that critics are plebs.
>>
File: 1380521268554.jpg (707 KB, 1222x1212) Image search: [Google]
1380521268554.jpg
707 KB, 1222x1212
>>63661288
>>63661355
>>
>>63661355
>>63661288
Dubs aside I didn't experience that confusion at all. It was still ambiguous for me, even to the point where I was wondering who he killed and who he didn't kill.
For example, I feel he killed Paul and probably the hobo, but he only roughed up the hookers without actually murdering them.
Even in his phone confession he was rambling about killing his secretary with a nailgun, which he never actually did.

Even he didn't know who he killed and didn't kill.
>>
>>63659639
>rt btfos /tv/fags
Kek it's like poetry.

Suddenly RT doesn't matter here.
>>
>>63659639
why is it so low
>>
>>63661745
It's never mattered. Everybody here shits on RT.
If you were here long enough you'd know that.
>>
>>63661765
A little under half the critics didn't get it.

It's hilarious how many critics will cite "It's confusing" as a reason for their bad reviews. Ebert was notorious for this.
>>
>>63659639
Its a tomato meter. It doesn't always match value. Its a consensus based on a limited number of critics.
>>
>>63659639
>there are retards out there who can't comprehend the movie
>>
Did Bateman kill that kid at the zoo?
>>
>>63661383

Did you even watch the movie? The realtors reaction to Bateman is someone realizing that he's the sick fuck they cleaned up after. For fucks sake, pay attention you idiot. The climax hammered home the fact that no one could distinguish anyone from one another within that scene, and retards like you could have grasped that fantastic plot point if not for the ridiculous cop killing sequence.
>>
>>63661412
>sixteen reviews

The film had received overwhelming negative reviews from critics, and holds a 6% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Despite this, the film received positive reviews from several professional film reviewers, Desson Howe and Rita Kempley of The Washington Post referred to the film by saying "It ain't half bad." and "Plucky, prank-filled family farce" respectively.[1] Kevin Thomas of the Los Angeles Times stated that 'Dunston Checks In' "is a delightful and funny family film of exceptional high style.", "as light as a souffle and just as delicious.", and "plays like a tribute to the resourceful, unpretentious studio productions of the past." giving the film five out of five stars.[2] According to an article published in the Chicago Tribune, "The cast is talented, the hide-and-seek action is silly, and the bond between a sweet little boy and the adorable ape is touching."[3]

It would've been at least a 30 if they actually listed more than one positive review. RT will never be worth a fuck unless it compiles every review for a movie.
>>
>>63661969
>someone realizing that he's the sick fuck they cleaned up after

Or she was realizing that this guy was high on 'ludes or some shit and was fucking up her sale.
Or that Patrick was imagining or looking too deeply into her reactions and the director portrayed his mental projection (as she had done before.)

The imagined shoot-out had nothing to do with Patrick's return to Paul's apartment, and to think the established identity confusion plot point was ruined by the same scene is ridiculous.
Christ, it was spelled out in the business card scene and further emphasized at the end of the movie, or did you forget?
>>
>>63662111

you clearly have no idea what you're talking about and I'll go ahead and leave you now, so enjoy your plebeian misunderstandings of otherwise interesting films you literal piece of garbage
>>
http://dubs.corgiorgy.com/
>>
>>63662111
Impressive. Very nice.
>>
>>63662149
Nice counterargument, but my trips still stand.
>>
>>63661288
Respect the dubs and the argument, but I disagree, m8. Not with everything being made up - Ellis himself said Bateman was a serial killer. But I don't see the inherent problem with the realistic fever dream of the final chapter or leaving the audience to wonder whether or not he was delusional or whether he had committed any of his crimes.

Even if you are easily confused and believe that he hadn't killed anyone (which, again, he did) the film still works in delivering its message.

Basically saying that him not actually committing the crimes doesn't erase the imagery presented throughout the film and that is what the film's social commentary really hinges upon.
>>
>>63662385
Kind of a shame Ellis just flat-out said he was a serial killer. He could have easily left it ambiguous.
>>
>>63661374
44 u
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.