[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Every 'SF' movie now is just a gigantic action explosion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 130
Thread images: 29
File: Demolished Man.gif (114 KB, 310x475) Image search: [Google]
Demolished Man.gif
114 KB, 310x475
Every 'SF' movie now is just a gigantic action explosion event, look at what Star Trek has become with that Beyond trailer
So what are some good SF books that would make a decent film with a story and plot and not just a series of baysplosions?
>>
File: fire upon the deep.jpg (207 KB, 800x1350) Image search: [Google]
fire upon the deep.jpg
207 KB, 800x1350
>>
File: Forever War.jpg (20 KB, 190x320) Image search: [Google]
Forever War.jpg
20 KB, 190x320
>story AND asplosions
>>
>>63656754
Neuromancer could be amazing directed by Nolan.
>>
>>63656787
A Deepness in the Sky would make a way better movie. But fuck that, I want to see Marooned in Realtime instead.
>>
File: lord-of-light.jpg (30 KB, 315x475) Image search: [Google]
lord-of-light.jpg
30 KB, 315x475
>>
File: mindblowing.gif (424 KB, 400x295) Image search: [Google]
mindblowing.gif
424 KB, 400x295
>>63656949
>audience reaction
>>
File: Great Dune Trilogy.jpg (34 KB, 329x500) Image search: [Google]
Great Dune Trilogy.jpg
34 KB, 329x500
Dune would be best suited with two films, the split being where Jessica and Paul go into the desert
>>
File: timescape_book_of_the_new_sun.jpg (178 KB, 818x347) Image search: [Google]
timescape_book_of_the_new_sun.jpg
178 KB, 818x347
in your heart you know its right
>>
>>63656754
Oblivion would like to have a word with you, my friend
>>
File: Meme Wolfe.jpg (133 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Meme Wolfe.jpg
133 KB, 600x600
>>63657231
/lit/, pls no shitposting here pls
>>
>>63657022
>Dune

Why does everyone dickride Dune? The intrigue parts are good but the Fremen are dull as fuck and Paul is almost the definition of Mary Sue.

Not to mention the central tenet is just plain wrong. Hardship makes for good soldiers but shitty armies.
>>
>>63657231

No person that has actually read these books could possible think that they're adaptable
>>
>>63657814
Because its good?
Paul is not a Mary Sue, he has been trained in his abilities. A Mary Sue does it naturally.
And he suffers enormously he does not benefit
>>
>>63657863
I have and I do
JGL as Severian, calling it now
>>
>>63657863
But they are. Eminently so. The thing is, even if every bit of subtext is eschewed the surface story is still really neat and would make a great film series. That's part of the greatness of the work.
>>
File: Mars trilogy.jpg (48 KB, 599x328) Image search: [Google]
Mars trilogy.jpg
48 KB, 599x328
HBO miniseries when
And they better keep the left anarchism in too
>>
>>63658162
Spike TV is doing it
Good luck friend
>>
>>
>>63658190
>spike
welp there goes any hope of quality
>>
>>63658162
HBO was supposed to do The World Inside by Robert Silverberg, but it never happened and I doubt it ever will.
Mildly disappointed
>>
HOW ABOUT THE FUCKING ENTIRE CODOMINIUM UNIVERSE YOU SHITS

IT WOULD BE A 8 MOVIE SERIES, EACH 5 HOURS LONG

Only way to do it. Plus you'd need a budget of 800 billion dollars to do all of the scenes properly

heck if they can just do west of honor I'd be fine. I suppose you could condense the Tanith story into one film, perhaps.....
>>
File: Bridge of the Gods 1.jpg (253 KB, 840x928) Image search: [Google]
Bridge of the Gods 1.jpg
253 KB, 840x928
>>63656949
actually started a script for this and i think its unfilmable without some serious overhauling
>>
File: Latro in the Mist.jpg (28 KB, 309x475) Image search: [Google]
Latro in the Mist.jpg
28 KB, 309x475
>>63658624
Its not
You just need Jack Kirby to do your production design
also
>started a script for this
are you an actual hollywood script writer? or just a nerd?
>>
File: TKT.jpg (23 KB, 300x209) Image search: [Google]
TKT.jpg
23 KB, 300x209
This was optioned a couple of years ago but noone has done anything with it. They really should.
>>
>>63656949
Zelazny is 0 for 2 in good film adaptations
>>
File: cat chess2.jpg (139 KB, 1024x748) Image search: [Google]
cat chess2.jpg
139 KB, 1024x748
>>63658840
>2
wut?
Damnation Ally, an episode of Twilight Zone, and a video game

Damnation Ally hardly counts senpai
>>
I'd watch The Stars My Destination, also by Bester, but the main character rapes a woman in the first few chapters of the book for no other reason than to victimize her into submission. Gully Foyle is kind-of a massive asshole like that.

It's a real shame, too. The book is really good and has two parts in space where the physics is described very realistically.
>>
The Ringworld Engineers, I want to see lightsabers killing vampires on halo.

Norstrilia is honorable mention.
>>
>>63658887
Dreamscape broseph
>>
Where the fuck are my AE van Vogt movies? Why does Hollywood have zero taste?
>>
>>63657022
>>63657814
Dune was made into a movie. A fine movie with Patrick Stewart and Sting playing cameos.
>>
>>63658668
just a nerd but ive acted some and have really great connections actually, the dialogue seems so archaic and setting up the world is tricky without using cliches... havent found a clever solution for that yet
>>
>>63658972
>>63658972
>According to author Roger Zelazny, the film developed from an initial outline that he wrote in 1981, based in part upon his novella, "He Who Shapes", and novel, The Dream Master. He was not involved in the project after 20th Century Fox bought his outline. Because he did not write the film treatment or the script, his name does not appear in the credits
It aint on his imdb
>>
>>63659033
0/10
that movie was terrible and you know it
>>
>>63659091
0 for 1.75 then
>>
>>63659036
what have you been in?
accept the dialogue for what it is
>>
File: Ubik(1stEd)[1].jpg (40 KB, 350x568) Image search: [Google]
Ubik(1stEd)[1].jpg
40 KB, 350x568
UBIK - Phillip K Dick
aka. inception part 2
>>
>>63659152
nope.avi
>>
>>63659114
Your sarcasm filter is off
>>
>>63659152
PKD has had enough adaptations. Why is that, anyway? Does his estate just give away the rights to his stories for pennies? Because he's been adapted way more than any other SF author I can think of, by a large margin.
>>
>>63659144
mostly commercials but a few movies, all when i was younger. paid for my first years of college and i still get smalltime residuals. tryin to stay anon though
>>
>>63659186
just one explosion
>>
>>63659207
>Does his estate just give away the rights to his stories for pennies?
Bingo
There are several estates controling different properties
>Because he's been adapted way more than any other SF author I can think of, by a large margin.
they actively promote it

And hollywood repeats success until its driven into the ground. They look at Blade Runner, Total Recall, Minority Report and expect another winner
>>
>>63657905
Still, he's overpowered.
>>
>>63659207
>PKD has had enough adaptations. Why is that, anyway?
Dunno anon. Perhaps his constant questioning of what is reality?, makes for a decent movie plot.
>Because he's been adapted way more than any other SF author I can think of, by a large margin.
True dat.
>>
>>63659266
>They look at Blade Runner, Total Recall, Minority Report and expect another winner
Mother
Fucking
Autofac

Literal gold just sitting there, unadapted
>>
>>63656857
I, for one, am looking forward to Natali's treatment, there hasn't been nearly enough Rodney McKay in this decade.
>>
>>63659266
>They look at Blade Runner, Total Recall, Minority Report and expect another winner
Second Variety, Scanner Darkly, Man in the High Castle, The Adjustment Bureau, Next and Sponge Bob Square Pants
>>
>>63659485
when you're a hollywood mover and shaker you dont focus on the bad
>>
File: FarnhamsFreehold_2642.jpg (54 KB, 248x400) Image search: [Google]
FarnhamsFreehold_2642.jpg
54 KB, 248x400
If the JOOS really control showbiz, this is the FIRST sci-fi book they'd adapt. Fuck SJWs!
>>
>>63656754
Well OP, you can always go re watch Dune.
>>
>>63659604
>baen
truly the asylum films of the publishing industry
>>
>>63659033
I liked that movie, if you can tolerate Game of Thrones there's no reason you shouldn't enjoy Dune.
>>
>>63659801
Baen's Bar has hosted some of the most epic banter of all time though
>>
>it's a Heinlein writes a 90,000-word diatribe about the white race's manifest destiny and then wraps a flimsy sci fi story around it book
>>
File: Chasm_City_cover_(Amazon).jpg (25 KB, 331x475) Image search: [Google]
Chasm_City_cover_(Amazon).jpg
25 KB, 331x475
>>
>>63659888
>he doesn't realise that the best thing about reading fiction is intimate analysis of the author's fucked-up mind
>>
>>63659819
Most people don't like David Lynch movies. They are just a bit too far out and its very understandable that people don't get them. he is a big weirdo.
>pic related
>>
>>63659033
Spicediver cut's the best version. I never got the hate aside from Feyd getting miscast and underused, and the ending (that ended up getting replaced with the one Lynch wanted to use in the Spicediver cut).
>>
>>63660053
The thing is Dune was his most accessible movie next to Straight Story and Elephant Man.
It was just weirdly hated by critics. Then again I haven't met somebody from generation X that didn't like it. It seemed to be strictly a critical target.
>>
>>63656754

>bawwwwwww, Star Trek has interesting stuff and excitement in it now, bawwwwwwwww

If you hate science-fiction with action in it so much then go watch The Phantom Menace again.
Plenty of scenes of people sitting around and talking in that.
>>
>>63660167
>Star Trek has interesting stuff and excitement in it
If you think dumb guardians of the galaxy kung fu is "interesting" and "exciting" maybe you should just stick with your anime cartoons.
>>
>>63656754

Babylon 5 pretty much has The Demolished Man as a story within a story.
>>
>>63660167
>Plenty of scenes of people sitting around and talking in that.

This is only a forgivable post if you were born in 1998 or later.

Yes people did sit around and talk, but they said nothing worthwhile or memorable--that matters.
>>
>>63660144
I'm Gen X and I'm a Lynch fan. He is currently remaking Twin Peaks. I'm expecting madness, I know I won't be disappointed. I wonder how it will be received by the emerging generations, post Gen X?
>>
File: Lucifer's Hammer Book Cover.jpg (128 KB, 622x1024) Image search: [Google]
Lucifer's Hammer Book Cover.jpg
128 KB, 622x1024
>>
HBO only.
>>
>>63660239
Babylon 5 was glorious, is a modern remake possible?
>>
>>63660432
kek
>>
>>63659485
>scanner darkly
>man in the high castle
>bad

And I'm one of the few that actually enjoyed Adjustment Bureau.
>>
>>63656754
Altered carbon.

It's got story, it's got style, it's got transhumanist ideas, it's hard boiled.

Would make for a good and at the same time smart action movie
>>
HBO Miniseries
>>
>>63660167

Good science fiction is about solving problems in creative ways. Science and technology are often a predominant backdrop and used as a red herring, the real solution being a humanistic one.

Modern science fiction movies have been turned into mindless blockbuster action with no character development or interesting outcomes. The idea being that it is more reliable to churn out predictable scenes centered around action sequences than to risk boring an audience with an intellectual exercise. And being able to demonstrate a reliable method of turning a profit is a much better business decision than taking a risk on something unproven in the current market.

It's understandable that a generation that did not grow with classic science fiction literature or movies wouldn't cry or demand when they get an inferior replica, heavily sifted of any meaning and injected with titillating sequences.
Ex Machina is a good example of modern science fiction, but instead of having well written dialogue, it takes the classic hook of man vs machine and turns it into a crude, violent and sex driven music video.
>>
File: 1448856619826.jpg (52 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
1448856619826.jpg
52 KB, 720x480
>>63656754
Brian De Palma once tried and failed to do a Demolished Man adaption. What I'd prefer to see is The Stars My Destination. It's pretty much written like an action movie so I figure that the adaption would be easy.
>>
>>63656754
They somewhat recently adapted All You Zombies and actually managed to pull it off.

Unfortunately tumblr rubbed their grimy hands all over it calling it a liberal masterpiece despite what Heinlein's (and by extension the filmmakers') actual reasons for making it.

If you liked All You Zombies, the movie did it justice. I was impressed.
>>
>>63660509
>turns it into a crude, violent and sex driven music video

Normally I would have a problem with this but it somehow felt appropriate in that movie
>>
>>63660504
That is one of the most depressing books I've ever read.
>>
>>63660574
That's because it was fully appropriate, Ex Machina was excellent Science Fiction surpassing the standards of Golden Age semi-pulp tales, and the poster you are responding to is a fuddy duddy stick in the mud who can't adapt to modern times despite seemingly loving yarns about future changes.
>>
>>63659972
Yes, but I think the first book in the series would make for a more ambitious project.

I found chashm city personally lacking, as a singular story I found "The Prefect" much more interesting and better.

Just imagine all the crazy shit of the glitter band put on screen.
>>
File: image.jpg (344 KB, 2048x3095) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
344 KB, 2048x3095
>>63660602
Forgot pic
>>
>>63660472
>didn't read the story, did watch the movie.
>enjoyed the adjustment team concept and questioning of free will
>disliked the emphasis on inseparable lovers
>I give this movie 6/10
>
>>
>>63660674
Why?
>>
>>63660509
Ex Machina was so disgustingly pretentious. Meme aesthetics, meme music, meme themes, meme attempt at Kubrick. So profoundly fake that I was almost offended.
>>
Peter F. Hamilton's Void God saga maybe?
>>
>>63656829
I think Forever War could be done well if in the same style as Edge of Tomorrow.
>>
>>63660574
The climax felt appropriate because you were understimulated by empty (but beautiful) cinematography and bland uninspired dialogue. Their deep conversations were akin to something first year Comp Sci students debate after they take 2 weeks of Intro to AI and think they've solved a paradox.

That type of under-research is the intellectual equivalent of showing a guy hacking into a government agency by typing quickly on his keyboard, or the good guy never getting hit by bullets. It's lazy script writing and insipid filmmaking.

Did the movie make you think? Did it inspire you to work in AI? Did it make you question if humans should research into making machines capable of empathy or emotion?

The girl robots were cute. Bald guy was kind of a dick so he had it coming did nothing wrong. Main Character was a pathetic loser with nothing going for him.
A good piece of fiction stays with you after it ends. IMO.
>>
>>63660756
Meme meme meme meme meme meme meme meme meme meme meme meme meme meme meme meme meme meme meme meme meme meme
>>
>there will never be a Jerry Cornelius adaptation again
>>
>>63657231
Christ those books were confusing
>>
>>63660810
Such a meme movie I bet Garland wrote it while posting on r/atheism
>>
>>63658911
Sounds like the GAP Series...
>>
>>63660645
Yeah I just went for that one because it's more of a standalone. The Prefect is also great. I'd love to see all his books on the screen, even short stories like the goat tower and the sulpher mutants. The non-Revelation books have some fantastic ideas in them as well..
>>
>>63657814
Everyone secretly loves the Harkonnen and the Spacing Guild
>>
>>63660802
>Their deep conversations were akin to something first year Comp Sci students debate after they take 2 weeks of Intro to AI and think they've solved a paradox.

Yes, and it fit the characters perfectly.
>>
>Hospital Station by James White
Medical drama in space
>>
>>63660644
I know youre just trolling him, but there's a good number of people out there who actually believe this. Makes me sad to live in this future, imagination's heart ripped out at the altar of lazy comfort.
>>
>>63661017
>tfw you spend hours imagining how astronauts would perform complex surgeries in reduced gravity environments

Anyone else enjoy this activity?
>>
File: TheMachine.jpg (95 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
TheMachine.jpg
95 KB, 700x525
>>63661025
i wonder how many people who love ex machina have ever watched the machine? apart from the guy who made ex machina of course.
>>
>>63660781
Visually updated I imagine, it was pretty 90s sci-fi
>>
>>63656829
Came to post this and Armor (1984).

Armor is great, it's basically half a story bookending the other half. It has samurai-nobility-types, a war against an alien insect-like race, said war going through people like tortillas through mexicans, han solo-type guy just fucking around (and also slapping a bitch and STILL banging her cause she sees herself as deserving such shit treatment, would piss off SJWs), main guy being a more realistic take on Neo with Tom Cruise's survival instincts of Edge of Tomorrow, explosions, suit beings used as mini-nukes, revolutionaries getting rekt, etc.

A miniseries on HBO would be great.

Also, the Hyperion Cantos would make for another great miniseries. The first season just an episode devoted to each individual story, the later seasons beingmorwt traditional.
>>
>>63660802
>>63660972
I think now, one way I can appreciate Ex Machina is if I think of it as a commentary on modern filmmaking and people, millennials and the millennials making films. The film itself is totally unoriginal, the entire thing is some extended music video for the newest ambient noise album the crew was talking about. The characters are all unpleasant, self-absorbed to the point of debatable narcissism, and even truly malevolent. It could be some sort of very jaded time capsule -- take a style of filmmaking from the sixties and seventies, and give it to the new generation. Say what you will about everything else about Boomers, but they at least had dreams larger than their egos and it showed in the types of sci-fi stories told.
>>
>>63661162
That sounds like a fun-ass book.

Might need to read it at some point.
>>
>>63661166
muh baby boomer sci-fi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cco_DvSzrts
>>
>>63661132
The two were extremely different and the machine wasn't nearly as good.
>>
>>63661313
That's Greatest Generation sci-fi. Boomers did make better sci-fi than Gen X and Millenials, even if they were total hypocrites about the themes in the sci-fi.
>>
>>
Orson Scott Card books need to be made into movies, man. Not talking about the Ender books though, they wouldn't do them justice. I'm talking about shit like his Hot Sleep series (especially the Worthing Saga that has most of the content), or A Planet Called Treason (like the Avatar cartoon, only not gay and instead cool and scifi).
>>
File: victorian.jpg (45 KB, 333x499) Image search: [Google]
victorian.jpg
45 KB, 333x499
>>63661354
There is an even better age my friend.
>>
>>63661314
Several ideas in EM appear to have been lifted straight from TM. Like the guy saw it and wrote a fanfiction. It's fairly obvious.
>>
>>63661418
I've only read The Time Machine, the wild-eyed fantasy of it is, without insult, a quaint look into how people were so excited for the future then without having any idea how it would look.
>>
>>63661123
did you even read the book anon?
>>
>>63661426
>Two artificial intelligence engineers come together as they work to create the first ever self-aware artificial intelligence. A veteran AI engineer secretly hopes to develop technology to help his diseased daughter, even if it means funding comes from the powerful Ministry of Defense (MoD). His new partner, a young woman gifted in the field of AI, is brought on after her breakthroughs are recognized by the MoD. Things go wrong when the MoD takes over and advances the researchers' work to the next level, teaching the AI to kill and follow MoD instructions with its new and nearly indestructible body.

Yup, totally very absolutely obviously very very very similar stories.

I'm gathering you didn't watch at least one of the two films.
>>
>>63661386
not gonna happen because hes a raciss
>>
>>63661550
Watched both of them. It's looking doubtful that you have.
>>
>>63661585
Not sure why I've even taking the time, but tell me again how they are so similar to denote the title of "fanfiction" for one of them? They are different in tone, style, content, and just about everything else.
>>
>>63660650
>scalzi
>not using Old Man's War as example instead

Nude people in their 20s, weird-as-fuck aliens, most of the aliens trying to kill people over land disputes, then the series turns into most of the aliens making a UN-type thing with a policy of trying to rekt human's shit cause we too inventive and smart for their asses. Also, transferring your old-ass consciousness onto a green supermodel with a biocomputer in their brain as the soldiers made to fight those battles.

Too old for this shit is the beginning, son.
>>
>>63661653
>ai/robotics
>outsider brought in
>secret facility
>turing test
>sexy female robot
>dance scene
>romance between a main character and robot
>lighting
>score/sountrack
>sexy female robot escapes at the end
>>
>>63661722
Yeah, that probably would have been better.

I never got around to finishing that, I stopped when the main character (forgot his name) got fucking rekt when he crash landed somewhere, half his platoon died or some shit like that.
>>
>>63660942
Yes, because they were perfectly monstrous.
>>
>>63661386
OSC's true greatness lies in his short stories.
>>
File: crystale.jpg (30 KB, 294x475) Image search: [Google]
crystale.jpg
30 KB, 294x475
>>63659888
>>63660012
You didn't say if you liked it. If you want equal time, there's The Crystal Empire, an alt-history
sci-fi yarn with the Muslim empire and the Indo-Asian Mughal empire both ruling over the superstitious anti-technology white tribes. I enjoyed it as much as I liked "Freehold," but that's just me.
>>
>>63659972
Fuck yearr, primo of another madre. Makes Mass Effect look like a bitch.

The technology and peoples are interesting, the actions of the characters over the series are believable and serve the plot well. Lighthuggers are cooler than heighliners, which I would have thought couldn't be beat in terms of scope.

I also read most of the short stories and those are fun reads. The one where terraforming nanites fuck the galaxy up over millenia and even make the main series bad guys their bitch was a favorite of mine.

This nigger is a gold mine in terms of scifi material that entertains.
>>
>>63661025
I'll stop trolling just for this response: movies are a business, and sadly, the ones who purport to love ideas the most are also the ones who wantonly steal content the most.

Can you explain why thoughtful science fiction films should be given regular commercial budgets when the entire fanbase is thieves?
>>
>>63660534
Chick was cute, 10/10 waifu material.
>>
>>63661895
I found the series too short, the books are great reads but I always want more. Only other book series I felt was too short to sate my hunger was Dexter, I was saddened when the irl drama didn't follow it to the letter. Hopefully GOT doesn't follow suit, considering the fatso is more likely to die than release a book on time.

Anyone else get these feels? A book seems too short for your liking and makes you hungry for more?
>>
>>63661552
So? Just don't advertise that he dislikes gays and you're good. Polanski still has a rep and he banged that minor.
>>
>>63661998
science fiction fans tend to be the ones most heavily invested financially in their fandom. They are the ones most likely to buy branded merchandising, special release editions, video games set in the same universe etc.

Dont take 4chan, which is a tiny slice of pirates and asshats, as your sample size.

The films we are discussing wouldn't need a particularly large budget. Just a meticulous person who likes attention to detail and can tell a good story.
>>
>>63662796
>science fiction fans
Don't fucking drop context on me, I know what I'm talking about and you're just bullshitting. Commercial science fiction fans willing to pay are the ones who like heroic journeys with explosions and standard tropes. Equivocate with lesser posters you piece of shit, it doesn't work with me.
>>
>>63662886
>Commercial science fiction fans willing to pay are the ones who like almost anything that is science fiction

There I fixed it for you. An appeal or quality over quantity is not equivocating. Don't project your insecurities on me because you are an unemployed neckbeard shitposting from your parents basement. It's well established by even the most mainstream middle of the road fans that science fiction movies have dipped considerably in quality, as special effects and computer graphics have improved and been used to cover up poor writing and directing.
Thread replies: 130
Thread images: 29

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.