[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Prequels > OT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 8
File: 1-prequels.jpg (166 KB, 1417x700) Image search: [Google]
1-prequels.jpg
166 KB, 1417x700
III > I > VI > II > IV > V

Prove me wrong.
>>
>>63650510(You)
>>
>>63650510
>>
>>63650510
Jar jar was in the prequel, burn with fire... but seriously, the pre added nothing to the story
>>
>>63650562
"Bait" would imply that I'm trolling, but I'm not.

I genuinely don't understand why people hate the prequels so much.
>>
>>63650628
Jar Jar was great. The purpose of the prequels was to tell Darth Vader's origin story--it wasn't supposed to "add" anything.
>>
>>63650655
I'm tired of defending the prequels on /tv/, all i'll say is I agree that they are just as good as the OT.
I'm not trolling, I personally find the prequels to be as objectively well made as the OT.
Don't think this opinion will be taken seriously here, though.
>>
>>63650876
You constructed your argument well enough and don't try to pass it off as "fact". Not are you "lel prove me wrong/tv/"

I disagree with you, but I respect your opinion
>>
>>63650510
I remember people in middle school having this opinion.

Then we all grew up and realized V is the best.
>>
The only redeeming factor for the Prequels is prime Herschlag.
>>
>>63650952
Empire is the most overrated film of all time.
>>
>>63650940
>a civil response to an unpopular opinion
Holy shit. Thank you man.
>>
>>63650510
What people don't realize is that the prequels are more techincally impressive.

This meme of "CGI is bad" and MUH PRACTICAL EFFECTS has essentially clouded everyone's judgment.

Lucas aimed to usher in a new era of movie technology like he did before and he did just that. The opening shot of Revenge of the Sith is perhaps his ultimate achievement as a filmmaker and one of the most exciting action sequences of all time. The first 25 minuts of ROTS is GOAT.
>>
>>63650628
>added nothing to the story
What the fuck does that even mean?

It added everything it added. Most importantly how Darth Vader came to be.
>>
here's your reply

V > VI > IV >>>> III >> II > I
>>
File: 20151008_134048.png (232 KB, 1074x1074) Image search: [Google]
20151008_134048.png
232 KB, 1074x1074
>>
File: boris5.jpg (8 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
boris5.jpg
8 KB, 259x194
>>63651006
Fuck off Trevelyan

Also I will accept IV as a valid opinion for best Star Wars film. Whether or not Empire is overrated in general is irrelevant. If you're implying it's overrated within the Star Wars saga you're crazy though.
>>
I don't consider the prequels as good as the originals (my order is 6,5,4,3,2,1 from best to least), BUT there is literally nothing obscenely wrong with them. People act like it's as bad as 2012 the movie or transformers 3, but they are nowhere near that bad
>>
File: boris4.jpg (86 KB, 500x213) Image search: [Google]
boris4.jpg
86 KB, 500x213
>>63651016
VI better than IV?
II better than I?

WHY!?
>>
>>63651126
Fuk off Boris
>>
>>63651010
I completely agree.
There is an arbitrary stigma attached to CGI, when practical effects don't look objectively better.
They are both just tools.
>>
>>63650940
>>63651008
Da fuq is this? Reddit?
>>
>>63651164
kill yourself
>>
>>63650655
most of the time it's people standing in front of green screens talking about politics and bad cgi. Most of the green screen shots and cgi have aged painfully bad.

At least the originals mostly used REAL things, not cgi, and had actual action.

First thing that comes to mind is that awful scene in Phantom Menace where they're getting chased by a fish and they don't seem to give 2 fucks. Now compare that to the asteroid field scene in Empire. One of the originals had an asteroid field scene too I think, can't remember which one
>>
File: 1411775798786.jpg (21 KB, 400x396) Image search: [Google]
1411775798786.jpg
21 KB, 400x396
>>63651164
hi YTMND
>>
>>63651192
*one of the prequels had and asteroid field scene is what I mean't
>>
>>63651192
Why is real better?
>>
>>63651010
I feel like this is bait... but just in case I'll reply seriously.

CGI isn't inherently bad, that's absolutely true. The reason people have an issue with it in the prequels is because Lucas relied almost completely on the technology, especially in II and III. Pretty much every set was 70% or more blue/green screen and made on a computer and it shows.

Not ONE clone trooper was real, they were all cartoons and it fucking looks like it. Watching the new TFA trailers and seeing real life Stormtroopers is such a contrast to the all CGI clones.

Now did it work? I would say yes. I can watch the prequels and not absolutely cringe. I'd say Lucas got the best out of the CGI available at the time BUT he used it too much.

CGI can be great in small doses and to add flourishes to complex shots. But when an entire location or battle is all CGI it feels dull and fake... because it is fake.

Sure you could say miniatures and models are fake but they're physically present and actually exist.
>>
>>63651192
you are clinically retarded.
Both scenes involve actors acting against their imagination.
>>
I will not take any ranking seriously that puts any of the prequels ahead of any of the OT.

I'm not blindly-praising the OT and unwilling to change my views, but I haven't seen anything in the prequels that warrants any high-praise -- haiku, aside.
>>
>>63651235
because even today the originals look amazing, because the real life effects, Those objects will ALWAYS be real.
Meanwhile the newer ones have awful cgi and have aged piss poorly. Just look at the scene with all the droids or whatever at the end of PM.

also stormtroopers > droids
>>
File: ViF5D.jpg (75 KB, 1525x816) Image search: [Google]
ViF5D.jpg
75 KB, 1525x816
>>63650510
The one redeeming quality of the prequels was giving us a half decent cartoon that actually fleshed out Anakin's character and made his fall tragic and somewhat believable instead of pulling a 180 out of nowhere.
>>
>>63651187
Thanks senpai
>>
>>63651313
Padme's ruminations is a better use of film as a medium (show don't tell) than any other scene in the six films.
>>
>>63651192
>most of the time it's people standing in front of green screens talking about politics and bad cgi
This is one of the key issues. The prequels have more intense and frenetic action but outside of the action scenes they're BORING AS FUCK!

Even as a little kid I didn't understand how people could say episode I was the best because it was less boring than the older ones. It probably has the same amount of action it's just that the OT had interesting stuff outside of the action that wasn't just politics and dull forced romance.
>>
>>63651337
THE FUCKING CARTOOON IS WORSE THAN ALL SIX MOVIES JUST END YOUR LIFE FOR FUCK'S SAKE
>>
>>63651428
>just that the OT had interesting stuff outside of the action
For example?
>>
>>63651431
What? The cartoon has episodes that are pretty good. The 4 parter that takes place on Umbara is far better than anything that comes out of the preqeuls. Inb4 it's kids cartoon cause you know it's not like the whole series is made for kids or anything.
>>
>>63651487
Character development for one.

tell me, who was the main character in Phantom Menace?
>>
>>63651487
Leia kissing Luke senpai
>>
>>63651593
Apparently it's Qui Gon.
>>
>>63650510
IV > pig excrement > *
>>
>>63651593
Oh look, we have a RedLetterMedia fanboy.

The main character of TPM is Obi-wan. Fucking obviously.
>>
>>63651580
>the 4 parter that takes place on Umbara is far better than anything that comes out of the preqeuls
NOPE
kill yourself while recording /co/'s /swg/ into voocaroo.
>>
>>63651660
Qui Gon was clearly the teacher/wise old man character, if anything the main character is Obi-wan.
>>
>>63651487
Really?

Well
>interesting character interaction that involves more than simple back and forth talking with a CGI background.
>Luke being trained by Yoda.
>The fucking cantina scene.
>The droids walking about Tattooine.
>Vader dealing with his insubordinates / Intimidating and killing them in various ways
>The entire Emperor/Vader/Luke ending of Jedi
>The believable romance between Han and Leia
I could go on but just about anything in the OT is more interesting than the dull stale dialogue of the prequels
>>
>>63650510
Padme's boobs are shooting space ships out
>>
>>63651593
ENSEMBLE CAST
FUCK OFF
>>
>>63651749
>Quoting a review that raised some valid points
>fanboy

Explain how Obi-wan is established as the protagonist.
>>
>>63651593
Obviously Qui-Gon is the main character. People think Anakin and Obi-Wan should be, but they don't come close. Qui-Gon is constantly in the center of the action throughout the film.
>>
>>63651787
I was playing some star wars trivia game with my brother and sister in law and one of the questions was who did Lucas refer to as the main character in The Phantom Menace. I said Obi Wan but was surprised to find out Lucas considered Qui Gon to be the main character.
>>
>>63651850
>People think Anakin and Obi-Wan should be, but they don't come close.
This. It goes:

>Qui-Gon
>Anakin
>Jar Jar (seriously he has a lot of screen time)
>Padme
>Obi-Wan (Really a pretty small character in this one. If he hadn't been OBI-WAN KENOBI he probably would have been forgotten about.
>>
>>63651845
"Explain how Obi-wan is established as the protagonist."

By being the most level-headed character, while still being reletable.
>>
>>63651850
This, Qui Gon is quite clearly the main character in Phantom Menace. The other two films don't have a clear cut main character but the first one did.
>>
>>63651946
Screen time is a shit reason. Apparently Mad Max isn't the main character of Mad Max.
>>
The prequels were much better written, they had actual characters and story, not a bunch of memes and one-liners that lack any emotion or coherence. Luke is a cliched everyboy "hero" that goes through an absurdly rapid transformation between the fifth and the sixth episodes. Anakin's emotional instability and his exposure as a psychopath are gripping; and his doomed relationship with Padme is touching. In the "original trilogy" Han, Leia, Darth Vader and Obi Wan are complete meme characters, nothing about them is remotely believable or human. And why doesn't anyone care about deaths in those movies? Leia's planet destruction, Luke's stepparents' death, all of the blown up rebels--the list could go on--all the deaths are forgotten moments later.

As for direction, the movies from the "original trilogy" were mostly incoherent, badly edited and full of logical problems. The prequel trilogy is a work of a "vulgar auteur".

I feel neutral about the series overall, and honestly don't care about trolling or contrarianism. Here are my sincere rankings:

1. "Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones"
2. "Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace"
3. "Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith"
4. "Star Wars"
5. "The Empire Strikes Back"
6. "Return of the Jedi"
>>
>>63652029
You do realize that George Miller even said Mad max wasn't the main character in Road Fury, Right?

The main character has the most screen time and are heavily involved in the plot. Obi Wan had neither in Phantom Menace.
>>
>>63652001
Yup. I'd say the other two are more like the OT and have a trio of main characters in Anakin, Obi-Wan and Padme.
>>
>>63652029
>Screen time is a shit reason.
I wasn't just talking about screen time though. I mentioned it for Jar Jar because I feel some people forget. But I was mainly ranking them for importance to the story.
>>
>>63652051
I agree.
>>
>>63650655
Why do we need to explain this when that fat fucking nerd mike "gas the kike" stoklasa spent like 4 hours of his life explaining why in details?

on the off chance that you haven't seen it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI
>>
>>63651164
Helllooooo fellow redditor!
>>
hey
>>
File: 1446616809739.png (47 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1446616809739.png
47 KB, 625x626
>>63650510
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.