[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Terminator
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 8
>watch terminator for the first time
>nothing even slightly special about it

Perhaps it's because I'm 20-years-old and this movie is from 80's and it was probably groundbreaking then -- however nothing about it even seems special to me.

Action films age terribly, no? I mean special effects constantly get replaced with nouveau ones.
>>
>uses phrase "it aged terribly" like it's a thing
>has a pleb opinion

Honestly just stop trying to talk about film. You obviously don't care about the medium.
>>
>>63625998
"nothing even special about it"
except that maybe it became and spawned one of the most popular cultural sci fi series.
>>
File: laugh reaction.jpg (84 KB, 508x504) Image search: [Google]
laugh reaction.jpg
84 KB, 508x504
>>63625998

cool story bro
>>
>>63626452
The 2nd one really did that. No one watches the Terminator series to see Arnold running around with weird looking eyebrows as the bad guy.
>>
File: tfw dub.png (57 KB, 300x177) Image search: [Google]
tfw dub.png
57 KB, 300x177
>>63626599
yeah you're right but it did spawn its sequel so i guess it has merits. its a good movie though, even with the dated robotic movements and actions in the ending sequences.

also dubs
>>
File: 1.jpg (83 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
83 KB, 640x640
>less than a year away from being a teenager
>thinks pleb-tier opinions are relevant because clearly mummy & dada never bothered popping the teat from his mouth & explain the real world
>bleats like a fucking billy goat
>nobody cares, everybody laughs

yeah doucheballs, it was groundbreaking for its time. LIKE EVERY SINGLE MASTERPIECE IN ANY MEDIUM EVER WAS.

perhaps if you had the ability to see beyond your solipsistic teenybopper "standards", you'd be able to appreciate the film for what it is, instead of shitposting about what its not.

any other awesome and totally not irrelevant observations you'd care to share with the group, fag?
>>
>aged

Into the trash it goes
>>
2 was better than 1.
>>
Kill yourself my friend.
>>
Kyle is a great character and was done exceptionally well.

Also Arnie is in full Olympia mode in this movie.
>>
File: 1448092190778.jpg (298 KB, 1404x1024) Image search: [Google]
1448092190778.jpg
298 KB, 1404x1024
1 and 2 were world building and genre defining.

The subsequent 5 movies since then are abominable trash. I really do hate Hollywood, but more so I hate an uncultured and apathetic public that can't wait to pick their knuckles up off the ground long enough to throw their fiat currency into the nearest Hebrew Merchant's pocket, whilst real film and film makers are going the way of the dodo.

This is why, and I say this with all seriousness, television programming is BTFO of film left and right these days.
>>
>>63625998
What's the oldest movie you've ever seen?
>>
Ignoring the effects, the film has a great story and characters. If you can't appreciate the film for that, then I don't know what to tell you. Sure T2 was a better action movie, but this one had better atmosphere. The last sequence at the factory shows just how threatening and terrifying the Terminator was, which I think T2 didn't quite deilver on, and why it didn't have as great atmosphere.
>>
>arnie will die in your lifetime
>>
File: 1444247778061.jpg (42 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1444247778061.jpg
42 KB, 600x600
>>63627237
>subsequent 5 movies since then
>>
it's a fine lower budget looking 80s movie. the big reason i don't like it as much as t2 is due to all the cheesy 80s aesthetics - the hair, the music, i really fucking hate the 80s.
>>
>>63627312
This. If a film/flick/movie is about telling a story and immersion then this one is gr8
>>
>>63627629
Funny, because the biggest reason why I don't like T2 as much as T1 is because of how cheesy T2 is.

T1 is hard sci-fi horror and is badass for it. T2 is a popcorn film.
>>
>>63625998
Yer a special little mong allrighty
>>
>>63628860
T2 is the ultimate popcorn action film

i literally do not think there has been a better one made since
>>
>>63628860
that's the reason i like it more, t2 and die hard are like the GOAT popcorn action flicks

t1 is good at what it does, but i can't get over how cheap it all looks. even at the time it came out it was very cheap looking. alien came out in 1979 for some perspective in what was possible.
>>
it's probably because you've seen it ripped off a hundred times in other shitty movies that miss all the themes

like I'm sure kids now adays watch The Matrix and don't gets whats so special since every mvoie made since then has to have a stupid bullet time sequence
>>
>I went back in time and impregnated the mother of the rebel leader who sent me back in time.

Confirmed for being completely fucking retarded.

That isn't a plot twist, that is incoherent retarded bullshit. Ruined the whole movie.
>>
>>63629788
H
e
r
e
:)
i
s
y
o
u
r
r
e
p
l
y
>>
Spawned a franchise , ha . Maybe one good sequel and a decent tv show.
>>
>>63625998
Then how is it miles better than terminator genysys
>>
File: reese_future_soldier.jpg (23 KB, 279x412) Image search: [Google]
reese_future_soldier.jpg
23 KB, 279x412
>>63625998
It's the perfect movie, and my absolute top favourite. If you really cannot understand why it's so highly regarded, it would likely be pointless to explain it to you.

The Terminator has a nigh perfect atmosphere to it, the acting is superb and just right in every aspect, perfect score, prime Arnie in his penultimate role which he totally nails, the lovestory is a truly tragic and moving one at it; hell, inside it's own canon vacuum (discounting the sequels) even the time travel science works with zero paradoxes.

There was a strange sense of gripping realism in the early works of James Cameron, despite their sci-fi elements. The movie really sells itself well, and at times seems more like an intelligent, post-apocalyptic horror film than a dumb action flick.
>>
>>63625998
I love The Terminator because it shows Sarah Connor as, essentially, a helpless damsel in distress who needs to quickly adapt from being a waitress (and a bad one at that) to the mother of the future of the human race. You get some level of payoff at the end but really Sarah Connor only completes her arc in T2.

The issue is that The Terminator does kind of lean on it's sequel to retain relevance, but I think the plot is fleshed out well enough between the two that it's almost like watching a seamless movie. And if you watch the deleted scenes from The Terminator, then EVERYTHING in T2 was pre-ordained, raising the question that is the foundation of the entire series: Is there really no fate except what we make?

Those two movies taken together make you actually wonder. It's such a fascinating time loop and I've stayed up hours at night trying to come up with a way to even conceptualize a proper sequel to T2 that maintains that mystery as to whether the actions of sending people back in time create the timeline that those people came from.

I often wonder about the "first" timeline... a John Connor born to an ordinary family, living an ordinary life, completely unaware of what was going to happen, somehow becoming "John Connor" anyway, sending a soldier back in time to have sex with his mother (or any Sarah Connor really) and creating a different but perhaps better prepared John Connor and thus beginning the loop. I'm going on a tangent here but I just love these movies, and I love The Terminator, and it makes me sad that there are adults that already feel the movie is too dated to enjoy or appreciate.
>>
>>63629788
>Confirmed for thinking one-dimensionally.
>Confirmed for not getting the memo.
Our universe is wholly deterministic, and everything that "will happen" has already happened. "Future" events are not dependent on what might have happened in the past, as paradoxes cannot be created in a linear universe. Time does not exist outside our perception.

In essence, the plot of The Terminator makes perfect sense.
>>
Name a movie you enjoy today, that was made in your lifetime, that is one of a kind for its time, and I promise you some faggot 30 years from now will have the same ghey ass out of time opinion on your film. I hate you Millenial spergs with these opinions.
>>
YOU'VE GOT ME BURNIN'
>>
>>63625998
Well ofcourse, your opinion is shit. Your 20, you are not interesting.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.