[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
HITCHKEK
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: Hitchcock (3).jpg (225 KB, 1050x1313) Image search: [Google]
Hitchcock (3).jpg
225 KB, 1050x1313
Why is Hitchcock so overrated? Literally the Nolan of his era

>only makes "entertainment", not art
>thematically empty
>aesthetically dull
>narratively repetitive and predictable

How did Vertigo take CK's place as the #1 critics' choice? I know critics are morons, but they were 100% right about CK, Welles was a creative genius, innovative, independant, unique, with a strong personality, point of view and sense of humor. He made many different kind of films, always tried new things with composition, editing, movement, storytelling, acting, set design, etc. even if it meant alienating critics and audiences, even with low budgets he managed to make visually amazing and thematically deep films. Hitchcock? He was just a studio thriller maker about charming higher-class sociopaths with plot twist gimmicks and shot like TV episodes.
>>
>>63590399
>thematically empty

Stopped reading there.
>>
>>63590426
Nice rebuttal, faggot.
>>
Enjoy your new Star Wars crowd, /tv/
>>
>>63590819
Nice rebuttal, faggot.
>>
>>63590399
Citizen Kane is also a vapid and trite film.

It's well regarded based on technical merits and because its message wasn't completely trite at the time but now, the money won't buy happiness message is simply completely ignored.

Don't get too bent out of shape about it. Apocalypse Now will eventually get the top spot.
>>
>only makes "entertainment", not art
>thematically empty
>aesthetically dull
>narratively repetitive and predictable
>I know critics are morons
>Hitchcock? He was just a studio thriller maker
>about charming higher-class sociopaths with plot twist gimmick
>and shot like TV episodes

And as one imbecile attracts others >>63590902
>Citizen Kane is also a vapid and trite film
>It's well regarded based on technical merits and because its message wasn't completely trite at the time
>>
File: 1309165977627.jpg (32 KB, 358x406) Image search: [Google]
1309165977627.jpg
32 KB, 358x406
>>63590902
>Apocalypse Now will eventually get the top spot.
Why did the Star Wars threads attract such turbo plebs from imdb?
>>
>>63591016
Look, I understand why people like Citizen Kane and Vertigo. They're the Beatles and Rolling Stones of the film world. They are essentially the best of the least offensive music. They aren't controversial and their appeal is right there on the surface for everyone to see.

There's nothing deep going on in either and that's fine. I don't begrudge Hitchcock for wanting to make entertainment but that doesn't mean I have to blindly accept that these are "the greatest films ever made" because the aren't. They're probably the most 'influential' films for the generation of Hollywood that constitutes the majority right now but that doesn't make them the best.

I said Apocalypse Now will be the best of the next generation mainly for the same reasons as vertigo and citizen kane.
>>
>>63590399
nobody even knows who Hitchcock is these days but if you mention Nolan everyone gets hard
>>
>>63591209
Not the one replied, but I agree they aren't 'the greatest films ever made'. It would be a heavy crown to pretty much any masterpiece in anytime, and FOR anytime, considering how people love to attack the top.
Your points now seems reasonable, but on /tv/, the average user, when he doesn't 'like' a film deemed great, or good or best anything, goes full sperg and and makes a polar reverse to the original claims of quality, shitting up joyfully. This triggers my sensibilities.
>>
>>63591393
I'm not OP. OP might be an idiot, not sure. I watched Vertigo, honestly didn't even think it was the best thriller but that's probably just due to the faked suicide thing being pretty played out but I'm sure at the time it was pretty fresh.
>>
>>63590399
Hitchcock invented techniques.
>>
File: 1445983423978.jpg (176 KB, 944x617) Image search: [Google]
1445983423978.jpg
176 KB, 944x617
>>63590399
>>
Reminder that taking Hitchcock more seriously than just as a Hollywood businessman, akin to m. night shyamalan, is just a meme.
FACTS:
>No non-pop culture critic took Hitchcock seriously until Cahiers du cinema and Truffaut in particular start praising him ironically.
>American and British critics, oblivious to the fact that they were being trolled took up these opinions seriously
>Upon release Vertigo was hated by even pop culture critics. Critics agreed that it was incredibly trite and a rehash. Only due to revisionism have people have started claiming it's original.
>Cahiers du cinema has also tried to do the same thing with other joke directors, for instance calling Spielberg's War of the Worlds one of the ten best of the decade.
If you take Hitchcock seriously then good job falling for a meme.
>>
>>63590399
It's pretty nice to watch 10-12 Hitchcock films in a short span of time to see how he actually developed similar ideas differently.

The whole tree ring 'here I was born and here I died' image/idea is enough to put him in the greatness category.
>>
>>63591982
and yet critics felt the same way about 2001, a clockwork orange and the shining
>>
>>63591982
First meme arrow is false. Hitchcock was very widely praised before Cahiers, just not treated as a genius.
Second meme arrow proves you a weak troll.
Third meme arrow is beautifully build fallacy. Congrats.
Last meme arrow is another spewing of your hot garbage 'arguments'. Cahiers treats auteurism a lot more seriously than other places, so even a quite minor Spielberg being put as top 10 of the decade, while easily refutable, is understandable for the magazine ideology.

Why do I bother, though?
>>
>>63591982
>blah blah muh flick buffs blah blah epic troll!
And not once was your own opinion expressed.
>>
>>63591687
Tarkposting will never be a thing anon. Just wait for /film/.
>>
File: 1449896247737.webm (358 KB, 1912x792) Image search: [Google]
1449896247737.webm
358 KB, 1912x792
>>63590399
Hola reddit
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.