[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who else has a soft spot for Phantom Menace?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (147 KB, 300x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
147 KB, 300x450
I don't know why, but I never have a bad time watching this film. Yeah, young anakin and JarJar are annoying, and I see and understand all the other flaws, but something about this movie won't let me hate it. I think attack of the clones and, to a lesser extent, revenge of the sith were edgelord bullshit, but episode 1 holds a special place in my heart. My guess is because it's got just the right balance of CGI and practical effects. Everything that looks like it should be CGI is(droids, gungans, ships) but everything else is real. Unlike the other prequels, where literally everything is CG.
>>
>>63584767
Fuck off back to what ever shithole you came from, Starpleb
>>
>>63584767
Duel of Fates is the only good thing about Phantom Menace.
>>
It at least FEELS like a SW film, with the transitions and things move along at a decent pace with a lot of different locations. Ep2 and 3 don't really even feel like SW films, though 3 is a better movie.
>>
The 2003 Clone Wars series is the only prequel-related media anyone should watch.
>>
i love pod racing
>>
>>63584941
Fine, I'll say it: I didn't like Genndy's Star Wars.
It was just solid action, with no plot, no characterization and pretty stupid fights. That's the opposite of what Star Wars is about: adventures in a fantasy galaxy.
>>
>>63585235
Yeah but it was fucking cool tho
>>
>>63584767

I unironically love it. When I marathon Star Wars, all I watch is the OT and The Phantom Menace.

I've always loved it.
>>
Dialogue is bad and acting is pretty wooden but the story and the atmosphere are excellent and that's enough for me
>>
>>63584767
I like the podracing.
tfw there will never be another podracing vidya
>>
Ep1 is awful, but unlike Ep2 and Ep3 its not just actions scenes interrupted by scenes of two people talking to each other. Ep1 has a plot, even if the plot doesnt make sense.
>>
>>63584767

I know what you mean.

It's terrible in many ways but still comfy to watch.
>>
>>63584767
Its the fact that the crew put their heart in it since they actually trusted lucas at that point.
>>
>>63586202
The plot does make sense you just have to pay attention to practically very single line of dialogue in the movie, most of which sound boring and unimportant because the lines are bad and all the actors are flat
>>
>>63586202
Have a friend who increasingly hated each new prequel he saw in theater. He loathed; i mean loathed, ROTS. He was angry. thought it was the worst.
>>
Phantom Menace is the coolest extended intro to a cinematic fairy tale ever.
>>
Episode 1 is comfy as fuck. And the tech was pretty cool when it came out. The effects just didn't age well.

Episode 2 has awesome atmosphere for maybe the first 1/3, and then it goes to complete shit. Awful pacing. Awful script. Awful everything.

I didn't bother to watch 3, but I probably should.
>>
Yeah. The Phantom Menace felt like big when it came out. It was an ambitious project that didn't really know what type of film/what demographic to cater to.
>>
TPM is the only tolerable prequel movie, to me. I really can't stand AotC or RotS.

AotC has terrible writing and RotS is just bloated beyond belief.

TPM feels restrained enough and not as bad as the ones that followed.
>>
>>63584840
No its one of the worst things, it turns lightsaber fights into a goofy unnecessarily long, over choreographed, shit shows
>>
>>63584926
It only feels like Star Wars because of Tatooine and it's boring as shit with overemotional responses from the fans
>>
>>63586551
Episode 3 is great desu
>>
>>63586648
AOTC does have some great action sequences though. And even though it may not come across well in the product I like a lot of the ideas as far as the characters are concerned.

Very much agreed on 3. There are some good moments but it is a bit excessive isn't it? Bloated is a good way to sum it up.
>>
yeah i mean now that i'm a man star wars is really gay but this one has a special status that the other prequels don't
>>
Since this seems like the right thread to ask:
Should I watch all the Star Wars movies by release date, or from episode I to episode VI? I want to do the latter since it looks like the correct way to do it, but I hear that's not the case for the most part.
>>
>>63587056
you probably shouldn't waste your time
>>
>practical effects
lol wut
>>
>>63584840
it's not even a duel since there's three fates
>>
>>63586648
You really think RotS was that bad? I felt that it had the best scenes in the entire trilogy (specifically Order 66, the scene in which Anakin and Padme don't talk, "you were the chosen one" (which might be the only instance of decent acting in the prequels), and Vader's birth). Sure, everything around those scenes is dumb and stupid and gay, but we can say the same about much of RotJ and I'd still consider that a great movie.
>>
>>63587237
Imo ROTS is the best of the prequels and the third best movie in the saga.
>>
Phantom Menace was bad, but it felt like Lucas still gave a shit. Clones and Sith felt like he just wanted to cash his check.
>>
>>63587056
M8 don't even think of any order but 4, 5, 6, and optionally afterwards 1, 2, 3.
>>
>>63587110
Are you meming? I despise that movie but it's quite clear they used a ton of models.
>>
>>63586682
>>63587155
I meant the score, not the scene itself.
>>
>>63587056
First time release order, that's how it happened

Sequential order afterwards, that's how it's intended
>>
>>63587279
Why are the first 3 episodes optional? Are they non-canon or something?
>>
>>63587523
Well the originals were made first so they're basically standalone.

But I guess the prequels are too.

Anyway it's just cause the prequels can be pretty divisive to put it mildly.
>>
>>63587523
No, but they're not that good. Episode 3 is the only one that's really anything more than trifling bullshit, and Episode 1 is comfy, but if you're not a Star Wars fan I wouldn't necessarily recommend watching them. There are better movies to spend your time on.
>>
>>63584941
It's awesome and despite being almost all action, has some quiet character moments that surpass anything in the trilogy.
But the 2008-2014 Clone Wars series is what the movies should have been (for the most part).
>>
>>63587607
I like the prequels but this is very true.
>>
Just got done watching TPM, and it is comfy as fuck. I will say that RotS is the best of the prequels though.
>>
>>63584767

While not good, it is the best of the prequels with 2 being the worst
>>
>>63586422
I had a similar reaction the first time around.
Hell, I didn't even want to see RotS I was still so mad about the first two. But got dragged to it by my brother and kind of watched it ironically with at least half the theater considering all the laughing and wtf we did.
"Execute order 66" was not really a kick ass moment in my experience, it was a moment filled with laughter, with "Nooooooooo" as a punchline.

I've since come to accept the prequels for what they are and can enjoy them somewhat knowing how flawed they are. They're still bad movies, but it's nice to loose oneself in the design and world building, and they did spawn the Clone Wars and a slew of Video Games that are superior to it.
>>
>>63587668
>the 2008-2014 Clone Wars series is what the movies should have been
Is it really good? I've only seen a few scenes but it looked terrible, and whenever I feel like giving it a chance I remember Anakin's padawan and Darth Maul's robot legs.
>>
Watching the original Clone Wars cartoon helped me appreciate ROTS a lot more than I did initially. It filled a lot of gaps that really should've been a part of Episode II instead of all that ridiculously shitfuckery we got instead.

Goddamnit, I and II both suck shit.
>>
>>63587589
I see. I suppose release order is the better way to watch them then.
>>63587607
Well, I want to watch them since everyone seems to be talking about this franchise these days. Wanna see what's the big deal about Star Wars.
>>
>>63587857
And I need to go to bed, my English is going to hell.
>>
>>63587802
It really is, though it takes a season or two to really get off (don't worry, the first seasons still have things superior to the prequels.).
Just avoid the movie, and you're set.
>>
>>63584767
>Who else has a soft spot for Phantom Menace?

Not even slightly. I don't like TPM at all, but I do find that I have a weird kind of nostalgia for AotC. For whatever reason, when I think of Ep. II, I think of spending Christmas at my sister's house watching the DVD of it that she had just bought for me. It was a very comfy time period.

That's more personal nostalgia than any objective qualities of the movie, though.
>>
One of the few memorys i have with my father is going to see this at the theatre with him and i still think its a shit movie.
>>
File: 1449074400003.png (12 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1449074400003.png
12 KB, 300x300
>>63584798
You ok, now?
>>
>>63584840
BUM BUM BADADUM BUM BUM BADADUM

*insert dramatic choir here*
>>
>>63584767
It's a good movie to watch drunk.
As a kid I loved it, so I have a lot of nostalgia for it.
I have to shipost through the couroscaunt scenes though. Those are so fucking boring.
>>
If only they had of come up with a different non retarded design for jarjar water people. Thr goofiness of them just brought the whole movie down. Also, darthmaul looked looked ridiculous too. They should have lost the face paint or put him in a mask.
>>
Episode one is the best of the prequels.

At least it feels like they had some sets and locations to shoot.

A little on the boring side, but its still fun to watch.
>>
>>63584941
this
>>
File: image.jpg (715 KB, 2153x3000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
715 KB, 2153x3000
>>63588139
Kylo as a theme with a chorus that is based off of a Kipling poem.
>>
File: 1445112866452.gif (212 KB, 921x155) Image search: [Google]
1445112866452.gif
212 KB, 921x155
>>63584926
i agree. for all of the insufferable bullshit, it felt like a legit star wars movie. i don't understand why people rate attack of the clones above this. that movie is fucking unwatchable. anyway, prequels go like this imo. ep3 is still the best of the prequels tho
>>
>>63587279
i always heard that the best way to go about it was 4, 5, 1, 2, 3, 6
that way, after the big reveal in 5 (assuming that guy doesn't know anything about SW), you can get some background on it, but still get hyped for the final confrontation in the 6th.
>>
File: 28717e.jpg (457 KB, 618x800) Image search: [Google]
28717e.jpg
457 KB, 618x800
Phantom Menace seems innocent and retains a bit of the look and connection with the series.

The other two prequels however are completely broken video game garbage.
>>
>>63588618
that's retarded. by the time you got back to 6 you wouldnt remember or care about what's going on in the OT, and the shittiness of the prequels would kill your enthusiasm to boot
>>
it was great
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.