[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is James Bond just fiction /tv/ or do governments actually utilise
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 9
File: bond.jpg (61 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
bond.jpg
61 KB, 1024x768
Is James Bond just fiction /tv/ or do governments actually utilise suave, expertly-trained in all forms of combat, multilingual agents in the field?

I can't imagine agents in real life staying in 5* accommodation or driving amazing cars but surely Bond has some basis in reality.

My friend was recruited by MI6 incidentally, but he can't tell me much for obvious reasons.
>>
I think the last thing undercover agents do is dress up in stylish suits and drive supercars

They probably dress and look like the average pleb
>>
>>63506591
just look into the shady conditions of ian fleming's death. you'll understand how much the double oh seven charater is "fictional."
>>
read some john lecarre
>>
>>63506627
This.
They have really just need to blend in.
Bond pretty much stayed around high society so there was a reason he had to look suave and shit.
>>
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is apparently a good approximation of how spies worked at the time. But le Carre changed details on purpose so he wouldn't reveal anything that actually happened.
>>
>>63506727

>But le Carre changed details on purpose so he wouldn't reveal anything that actually happened.

Peter Wright reveals the details in 'Spycatcher' but he isn't exactly an entertaining writer. He routinely just derails into describing some random devices that he designed.

Anyway I'd say TTSS is loyal enough to facts.
>>
File: 1377303675488.jpg (36 KB, 630x420) Image search: [Google]
1377303675488.jpg
36 KB, 630x420
Who will play her in the inevitable biopic?
>>
From memory spies aren't even allowed to be over 6ft or something, they literally have yo be plain and average looking.
>>
>>63506591
all the famous spies were only experts in waving their dicks and getting drunk
so this part of JB is actually realistic
>>
I liked The Man from U.N.C.L.E anyone else?
>>
Spys don't really kill people they just get information and leave if it's getting too hot. If you need a hit on someone than you hire some professional top of the line spec ops guy to take a sniper shot from a mile away.
>>
James Bond and Spooks is just fiction
>>
>>63506591
Bruh bond was parody initially. Tbh the plots are so nonsensical and over the top I can barely stomach this shit.
>>
>>63506974
Russian assassins and their radioactive poisons say hi.
>>
File: bond girls laughing.jpg (49 KB, 565x430) Image search: [Google]
bond girls laughing.jpg
49 KB, 565x430
>craig
>bond
>>
>>63506713

> Bond
> High Class
>>
>>63507051
Yushchenko just had le food poisoning I swear brate :^)
>>
>>63506896
Same, I thought it was awesome. The assault on the bad guy's base was hype as fuck.
>>
>secret agent
>literally everyone on the planet knows who he is
>>
>>63507073
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcNGYRKBfHA
>>
>>63507137
>literally everyone on the planet knows who he is
Did you somehow not see Skyfall?
>>
>>63507103
I loved the chemistry between Cavill and Hammer.
That hotel bug scene was great
>>
>>63506591
Ian Flemming loosely based the books on his experiences as a spy.

Also his estate in Jamaica is called Goldeneye, and has been since the 50s or some shit.
>>
I liked the depiction of spies work in The Americans and Deutschland 83
>>
>>63506974

Of course there are plenty of (in)active agents who are fully legit like foreign students. Not necessarily trained either but there just in case.
>>
>>63507196
very loosely indeed
>>
>>63507040
Sometimes real life can be pretty crazy.

> Markov used such forums to conduct a campaign of sarcastic criticism against the incumbent Bulgarian regime. As a result of this, it has been speculated that the Bulgarian government may have decided to silence him, and may have asked the KGB for help.[1] He was assassinated on a London street via a micro-engineered pellet containing ricin, fired into his leg via an umbrella wielded by someone associated with the Bulgarian secret police.
>>
I'm a CIA agent ask me anything.
>>
>>63507290
are aliens real?
>>
>>63507290
What do you know about me? Why do I wear the mask?
>>
>>63507290
what movie theater you would advise not to go at TFA opening?
>>
>>63506591

They're typically good looking, suave people who infiltrate government/military organizations in a more mundane way (i.e. apply and go work there, etc.)

Sometimes they'll use things like sex or some flash to obtain information if they think it would be beneficial. Overall though, they're spening the VAST majority of their time taking notes, writing reports, etc.

There aren't really shootouts, they want to remain concealed. They are more about infiltration of society and the infiltration of social circles for the purpose of obtaining useful information.
>>
File: CIA IM CIA.jpg (76 KB, 788x681) Image search: [Google]
CIA IM CIA.jpg
76 KB, 788x681
>>63507290
CIA, I'm CIA
>>
>>63507363
Uhhh...did you get to bring any friends?
>>
>>63507303
Possibly. Not my department, though I have heard some weird shit.
>>63507319
You'll die if i take it off?
>>63507338
Go to one in a predominantly black neighborhood. If you can stand the talking out loud and unnecessary laughter.
>>
>>63507363
No I'm CIA
>>
>>63507392
They weren't my friends, besides, why would I want them?

>>63507419
No
>>
>suave

you only think that because you're most likely american or non british. upper class faggots from england talk a lot more faggy than bond ever did and he is made fun of on several occasions for not being educated enough or high class enough

>expertly-trained in all forms of combat

he gets beat the fuck up several times and always gets out of shitty situation with some wacky Q tool or help from items in the right moment at the right time

>multilingual

europeans usually speak several different languages by default. a modern ameriburger pleb wouldnt understand

james bond is actually made fun of on several occasions for only being able to speak english convincingly. the mockings are subtle, so obviously you will miss them, especially if you're an american

but as for your general question, whenever someone says they "can't talk about it" that just means they're a peon who does fuck all. i was a security guard in the navy and even they told us we weren't supposed to talk about what we had done and they even gave us security clearance. james bond probably wears a suit because back in the day everyone did. modern spies probably just want to blend in, and most of the espionage is probably done electronically anyway
>>
I assume its more like Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy desu senpai
>>
they definitely have trained infiltrators, but it's mostly something lame like getting a job in another countries embassy and usually they "handle assets" aka bribe local people to do a lot of the intel gathering work, they don't do any combat themselves and are not going to be driving around in an astin martin since they'll stick out like a sore thumb
>>
>>63507290
any encounters with large individuals?
>>
It's a documentary. The events occurred in real time.
>>
>>63506591

Nope. MI5 had a recruitment campaign where they said how wrong the image of an agent is in James Bond and that they want smart agents capable of working in a team and adept at problem solving. They also want average looking people to act as field agents too. I also think they emphasised that most work is desk work/looking over reports and definetly not killing people and shit. Supposed to be a pretty sweet job with benefits and stuff too.

Worth looking on the website if you're wondering what they look for
>>
File: Bond Actor's height.jpg (195 KB, 2645x1287) Image search: [Google]
Bond Actor's height.jpg
195 KB, 2645x1287
>>63506855

serious question, why does the Bond Actors are all tall? Is this some kind of discrimination?
Why don't they pick someone normal height like 5'7 and 5'8? James Franco would be perfect for the role to be honest
>>
If I ever decide to become a spy will they go back and look at all my internet search history or talk to all the women I fucked?
>>
>>63507625
I'm in Singapore though...Why does everyone think this board is 100% populated by Burgers?
>>
i don't think they have spies exactly like James Bond but it's probably not all just computers and drones either, weird stuff happens occasionally

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYQVwQieR5M
>>
>>63506591

>tfw all the top spies are transgender

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYQVwQieR5M
>>
>>63507848
>normal height like 5'7
well hello
>>
>>63508477
>>63508559
Stop shilling your video
>>
>>63507848
>someone normal height like 5'7 and 5'8
In fucking China maybe.
5'8 would be a major manlet in Europe.
I would stare at him and wonder why he isn't in the circus or why he hasn't had a sex-change yet.
>>
>>63508615
oh didn't realise it posted the first time because it said i had captcha error
>>
I'm exactly like Bond. AMA
Nothing that reveals my secret identity obviously
>>
>>63509680
How many hours per day do you spend on reddit?

Also, do your parents know you're gay?
>>
>>63506662
What are you talking about, man? He spent a lifetime eating, smoking, drinking heavily and died of a heart attack.
>>
>>63506591

They do utilize charismatic social people as spies. Being a real life spy involves a lot more talking and flirting and a lot less fighting and shooting than the movies would suggest. Sociopaths make the best spies, they know how to manipulate people and not feel remorse about what would happen to that person if they were caught divulging info they shouldn't by their country.

So the ideal spy is a charming sociopath.. like Bond.

But they are a government employee, using Government issued stuff so no, they don't drive around fancy brand new sports cars, wear tuxedos everywhere and stay in 5 star hotels..... the lower profile they can keep the better.
>>
>>63507848
They want real men
>>
>>63511064
How much do they get paid
>>
why does skyfall have an anime tier plot and actions scenes?

I left the theater when M got hacked and it looked like it was something outta swordfish
>>
>>63507103
>boat scene
Fucking loved that shit.
>>
>>63511771

Depends on their GS rating, but the highest rank base pay is about $130k a year

I mean they make good money just not brand new aston martin sportscar money.
>>
>>63508345

Yuros spend 96% of their waking lives thinking about America.
>>
>>63507246
>umbrella gun assassination
Damn, that actually happened?
>>
File: 1439235550286.jpg (3 KB, 123x125) Image search: [Google]
1439235550286.jpg
3 KB, 123x125
>>63508345
why would anyone other than white males go on 4chan?

whats here for them?
>>
>>63507870
They'd have you over a barrel for the rest of your life.
>>
File: her.jpg (102 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
her.jpg
102 KB, 1024x768
>>63506846
no shit, right?

I can't think of anybody... a no-name. MAYBE somebody like Lindsey Lohan could pull it off but that would be kind of awkward.
>>
File: Erin_Gray.jpg (24 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Erin_Gray.jpg
24 KB, 640x480
>>63512570

She would have worked well.
...35-40 years ago.
>>
James Bond is an escapist power fantasy 100 times worse than any anime or video game out there
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.