[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Critics are predicting this is going to flop but it's getting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 7
File: hr_In_the_Heart_of_the_Sea_1[1].jpg (161 KB, 864x1280) Image search: [Google]
hr_In_the_Heart_of_the_Sea_1[1].jpg
161 KB, 864x1280
Critics are predicting this is going to flop but it's getting decently high reviews. Expectations?
>>
its mediocre
>>
>>63488145
It will have a modest showing with people who don't want to fight the crowds for Star Wars. I think it will make its money back but be deemed a failure for Chris Hemsworth. He still has that Huntsman movie and Thor.
>>
>>63488168
I heard it opened in overseas markets. Did you see it there?
>>
>>63488145

>59% on RT
>high reviews

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/in_the_heart_of_the_sea/
>>
>>63488145
>decently high reviews.

Is it?

VarietyJustin ChangDec 2, 2015
>In the Heart of the Sea feels stiff and unconvincing, weirdly devoid of texture, and populated by ciphers who speak primarily in the leaden language of exposition.

Slant MagazineChristopher GrayDec 8, 2015
>The narrative is helplessly adrift, a yarn that extols vague grit and determination with no discernible through line.

The GuardianJordan HoffmanDec 2, 2015
>Director Ron Howard does a solid job of getting the smell of salt off the page and into the picture. The first half works quite well simply as a procedural, but when the action comes we run into trouble. The well-earned seriousness is washed away as we’re broadsided by B-movie tropes.

Apparently test audiences and advanced screenings have been disappointed with it as well.

Shame. I really wanted this to be good.
>>
>>63488240
As did I. There isn't really any movie that covers whaling, not for a long time really
>>
I liked it. Fuck you all.
>>
>>63488369
I'd recommend you read the In the Heart of the Sea Book that this movie is based on.

A great piece of historical writing that combines narrative, speculation, and hard facts.

There was an awesome documentary about whaling in the South Atlantic that aired on the BBC a few years back.
>>
>>63488411
Why do you think the critics are wrong?
>>
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ron-howard-explains-delay-behind-764299

>“It was something that we just found out a couple of days ago in talking to the Warner Bros. executives,” said Howard of the delay.

>“They analyzed the way people are responding to our movie now which is very favorable now that it’s finished, the way people responded to the marketing materials, and they also looked out how the market expanded this last Christmas increasing a wide array of movies,” he said.

>"There was a larger audience. I wanted as many people to see this movie on the big screen as possible and I do feel like it’s more of that fourth quarter, early winter kind of feel in terms of the tone of the movie," Howard added.

RIP
I
P
>>
>>63488481
It does seem kind of baffling to move it from spring to winter. Star Wars is just rendering the season a wash for everything else
>>
The poster looks like a vagina.
>>
I'm literally seeing an advance review screening of this in an hour.

No expectations, it's a free fucking movie. I don't get why they wouldn't just make Moby Dick though
>>
>>63488718
It's probably been done enough

Where did you get free tickets? I'm going to see it Friday because I get bonus points on my Regal card, but I'd rather have free tickets damn
>>
Anyone else see a vagina in that poster?
>>
>>63488766
I go to tons of different film festivals in town and I inevitably end up on mailing lists for a bunch of them, so I'm often getting notices of "secret" screenings or special film series being put on by festival organizers, stuff like that. I don't think this was anything set up by a festival but one of them gave a heads up notice of a first come first serve advance screening for this and I got a ticket in time, so..
>>
>>63488468
I don't read critic's reviews so have no idea what they are saying.
Going by >>63488240
>variety
The only thing I found stiff and unconvincing was Hemworth's accent.
>slant
Possibly correct, but I had no problem with the narrative. Maybe the character development was predicable and didn't create enough of a pay-off or something?
>gaurdian
It's hard to avoid ''b-movie tropes'' when they are part of the original story which helped create said ''tropes'' in the first place.
>>
>>63488682
>>63488910

Hive mind.

I see It too
>>
>>63488145
Moby Dick is anything but an action story. The premise is flawed.
>>
This is the only movie I've been excited to see in a long time. Sad that people would rather watch capeshit #49.
>>
>>63488145
>Chris Hemsworth

how you know it's shit, Murphy and Gleeson obviously couldn't save this one
>>
>>63489330
But this isn't Moby Dick
>>
When was the last time Ron Howard did NOT direct a flop?
>>
>>63489455
>dude monster shit
>>
>>63489490

It's the closest thing to actual acting I've seen him do.
>>
File: Untitled.png (208 KB, 752x351) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
208 KB, 752x351
>>63490859
hurr
>>
I watched it, and thought it was fucking amazing.

While Star Wars is probably going to have prettier effects and audience experience I doubt it will actually BE about anything like Heart of the Sea was.
>>
Are whales even that big?
>>
>>63488145

Why does that advertisement so blatantly exaggerate the size of the whale? Even in the trailers the whale isn't even close to that large. That is fucking mythical sea monster size. I'm talking multiple football fields size. That is god damn kaiju size.
>>
>>63491228
good movie
needs more respect
>>
>>63492274

No animal on this planet has ever been that big. The biggest animal that ever lived is the blue whale and that thing dwarfs those. It is just bad advertising.
>>
>>63492329
>>63492274
It's what it feels like for the guys in the boat.
Did you guys never read a poem or anything not 100% realistic? Jesus.
>>
>>63488145
Its crap watch Creed instead.
Im asian and I dont even like black people
>>
>>63492402

Except the guys on the boat saw first hand the size of the damn thing when it emerged from the water, even in the trailer you see the whale is roughly the size of the whaling ship, maybe slightly larger.
>>
>>63492402
>implying that thought ever was in there heads

"here's the poster boss"
"hmm whale looks small"
"well that's still twice the size of a normal whale"
"bigger"
"but,"
"BIGGER, JENKINS"
>>
>>63488718
Back. It was okay. The character backstories are very typically- Hollywood. The actual stuff when they're out at sea on the Essex and going out whaling is fucking great, but the ship sinking happens halfway through the movie and then it's just floating around on tiny boats for the whole rest of the movie. It's like the big climactic moment happens an hour in and they gotta fill the time up to keep it accurate to the account
>>
>>63492460
It's a metaphor cuntface
>>
>>63488145
not just calling it moby dick

they already fucked up
>>
>>63494453
How was the Spidey boy's performance? Tom Holland is the name.
>>
>>63494677
Eh, wallpaper. He's basically the Ishmael of the movie, he survives just so he can recount everything to Melville decades later. There's a pretty great/gross scene where he's digging around inside a whale carcass though.
>>
File: image.jpg (17 KB, 210x250) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17 KB, 210x250
That picture is terrifying
>>
>>63488240
Those are some heavy duty SJW websites though. Prob giving it bad reviews due to the mass amount of white people
>>
>>63494453
Sooo regarding the second half I read that in the first shooting script, the guy who pulls the short straw and ends up being eating is a terrible evil asshole who cowardly tries to back out of it which is the direct opposite of what really happened. Did that end up being what was left in the final film?
>>
>>63496677
no
>>
>>63496677
Historically the captain's cousin draws the short straw, the captain offers to take his place but he refuses. In the movie it's sort of the opposite, the captain draws the short straw but the cousin ends up shooting himself instead
>>
>>63488145
>based on a video game based on a movie based on a true story that inspired moby dick
>>
File: frostnixon[1].jpg (175 KB, 1024x1500) Image search: [Google]
frostnixon[1].jpg
175 KB, 1024x1500
>>63490859
Ron's a quality director don't know what you're on about.
>>
>>63496820
What a random change. But nowhere near as horrid as that original script, thank god.
>>
>>63488145
The book was good, but it was mostly people starving to death in life boats.
>>
>>63488145

Saw it on the 4th thought it was decent dragged on at the end though
>>
>>63488240

>>In the Heart of the Sea feels stiff and unconvincing, weirdly devoid of texture, and populated by ciphers who speak primarily in the leaden language of exposition.

>criticize people for being obtuse by using a bunch of needlessly flowery jargon

texture? am I supposed to know what he means by that?
>>
>>63489114

>hive mind
>8 minutes apart
>>
>>63492216
>I doubt it will actually BE about anything like Heart of the Sea was
Can you expand on this? What is this movie ABOUT? That seems to be a recurring theme in the critical reviews, it's allegedly all noise and thunder
>>
>>63494453
How graphic is the cannibalism? I want to take some squeamish friends to this.
>>
>>63497513
It's just described and not shown at all. It's not that sort of movie.
>>
>>63497711
That surprises me. If half the movie is spent on life rafts and none of that is cannibalism then... what are they doing? I guess I'll see in a few days.
>>
File: index.jpg (6 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
6 KB, 225x225
oh boy its another Chris Hemsworth movie, I wonder if he will take his shirt off
>>
>>63498164
I bet he won't in this one. Whalers wore those thin cotton shirks. That's gotta be loose enough to stay on
>>
>>63488178
Could Chris replace Russel Crowe as Jack Aubrey in the next Master and Commander?
>>
>>63490859
Tiger & Bunny.
>>
>>63497930
Ever watched Against The Sun?
>>
>>63488145
The critics also panned Transformers.

I loved the first two. I think the second one was way better than 1, 3, and certainly 4.
>>
this was supposed to be released in March 2015 but was moved because it had 'good reviews'
>>
File: 1426185746667.gif (2 MB, 352x217) Image search: [Google]
1426185746667.gif
2 MB, 352x217
>muh abominations

the whale was badass though
>>
>the story that inspired the story
>>
>>63488145
>box office flop
yes
>reviews flop
no it's gonna get more than a 70/100 overall.
>>
>>63488145
Literally haven't heard of it. Moby Dick is an awful book. I'm sure it will flop.
>>
>>63488145
That's a big whale
>>
saw it weeks ago, i thought everything on the first half building up to the whale-chasing was fucking great, the visual, the intensity was great, especially when the giant whale moby-dicking around Essex. But after that, it changes the tone into survival tale. Even though the makeup and their acting was good, i don't feel any emotional gut-punch when they were floating for months in the sea, so i was kinda bored on the second half. But overall, it was solid movie
8/10
>>
I've seen it. I liked it. I recommend it.
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.