[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>ITT: Directors that only tryhard plebs hate
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 9
File: scorssese.jpg (4 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
scorssese.jpg
4 KB, 300x168
>ITT: Directors that only tryhard plebs hate
>>
Tarantino
>>
You're a pleb if you respect any film he's made after the 1980s.
>>
>>63455980

Wolf of Wall Street is the best movie he's made since the 80s and probably the only one that deserves to be considered alongside things like After Hours, King of Comedy, Taxi Driver, and Raging Bull

he has a lot of pretty good stuff in the interim years though
>>
File: image.jpg (81 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
81 KB, 720x960
>>63456016
>No departed
>>
File: sofia-coppola-1215362823.jpg (65 KB, 558x805) Image search: [Google]
sofia-coppola-1215362823.jpg
65 KB, 558x805
>>
>>63456063
The Departed is one of the worst things he ever made. I think TWOWS is fucking trash too but The Departed is astoundingly bad.
>>
>>63456063

The Departed is okay at best. It's such a mess and full of small plotlines that are shit. Why his 00s movies included garbage love subplots featuring DiCaprio and anonymous women characters is inexplicable.

>>63456087

if you think Wolf is trash then you might be trash mate. it's one of his most conceptually interesting movies.
>>
>>63456087
OP here. Kill yourself
>>
Taxi Drive is the only great movie he's made. Raging Bull doesn't really work because De Niro is just being an asshole for no reason with no redeeming qualities and you can't care about him.
>>
>>63456269
Taxi Driver is too inflected towards the reddit/tarantino crowd. Rocky Bull and The King Of Comedy are immeasurably better,
>>
>>63456304
I love King of Comedy but it's really no more than a funny flick. I'll never put that thing in my top 1000 movies.
>>
>>63456185
>it's one of his most conceptually interesting movies.

Stop. Scorsese is doing nothing but pointing at some guys and saying "look at what they're doing". Anything conceptually interesting is in your head.
>>
>>63456355
>but it's really no more than a funny flick
One of the most depressing films ever made desu senpai
>>
>>63455948

Departed is his best movie. You can tell because /tv/ hates it.
>>
>>63455948
He's probably the most knowledgeable filmmaker alive. Most film historians ain't got shit on him
>>
>>63456374

nope, that's not at all what he's doing. he's projecting the audience's desires on the screen, having us look at morally bankrupt behaviour that is depicted in a way that we find appealing and compelling due to our own sickening infatuation with greed. That movie makes us look at our own weaknesses and tries to make us see the rot at the core of our delusions.

The satire was brilliant enough that moronic audience members didn't understand the point and wondered whether Scorsese was glamorizing the behavior on screen. It's one of his smartest movies I'd say.
>>
>>63456598
He's not doing any of that. You are.

Neither side of your argument is right.
>>
>>63456598
>nope, that's not at all what he's doing. he's projecting the audience's desires on the screen, having us look at morally bankrupt behaviour that is depicted in a way that we find appealing and compelling due to our own sickening infatuation with greed. That movie makes us look at our own weaknesses and tries to make us see the rot at the core of our delusions.
Isn't that essentially just the same as what he did with Goodfellas though?
>>
File: 8733183883.jpg (3 KB, 160x106) Image search: [Google]
8733183883.jpg
3 KB, 160x106
>>
>>63456080
this desu
>>
File: jean-pierre-jeunet.jpg (73 KB, 253x290) Image search: [Google]
jean-pierre-jeunet.jpg
73 KB, 253x290
>>
>>63456740
This man's films are fucking unwatchable. I got kicked out of school for punching a girl in the face after she told me she loved Amelie.
>>
>>63456657

I don't think so at all. Goodfellas to me doesn't seem nearly as focused on greed as a concept that is applicable to everyone in the audience. Goodfellas is at its foundation about crime and criminals. From its opening moments it discredits its characters through their extreme acts of violence and crime. That's not the case with Wolf of Wall Street which allows its audience to feel far more as though these people are just working their way to the top and pursuing the American dream of getting insane amounts of cash on Wall Street. It's a far easier movie to relate to for the audience. Wolf is a satire and Goodfellas is not
>>
File: He's_right_you_know.jpg (52 KB, 640x478) Image search: [Google]
He's_right_you_know.jpg
52 KB, 640x478
>>63456467
>>
File: David-Fincher-2.jpg (761 KB, 3000x1999) Image search: [Google]
David-Fincher-2.jpg
761 KB, 3000x1999
>>
>>63456872
Zodiac is still his only film.
>>
File: wachowskis1.jpg (358 KB, 2000x1334) Image search: [Google]
wachowskis1.jpg
358 KB, 2000x1334
Underrated as fuck.
>>
>>63456941
THIS BBQ FEM.

Jupiter Ass had more imagination than any blockbuster in years Speed Racer is also a masterpiece.
>>
>>63456598
>>63456862
Good posts. I agree.
>>
>>63455980
Dude you're fucking gay, feel bad about it.
Bringing Out the Dead was based, Aviator is cool, Departed is his worst movie I will admit, but Wolf of Wall Street was fucking good and is a movie that only redditor left fags don't like.

Fuck yourself.
>>
>>63456774
Wow, pleb.
>>
>>63457013
Bringing Out the Dead is the one movie you named I can concede is good. But from my perspective it's reddit to like TWOWS.
>>
>>63456642
Not that guy, but seriously how would you know what he's doing, you stupid cocksucking faggot.
>>
>>63456080
>>63456707
>womyn
>>
>>63457077
Okay, I'll agree to disagree with you about the Wolf after that agreement about the Dead and we'll part ways. Have a good night brother.
>>
>>63457096
How do you? If you want to accuse me of putting words in Scorsese's mouth, you have to accept that you're doing the same.
>>
>>63457204
The thing is, I'm not putting anything in his mouth. You claimed to know what he was doing, I wasn't. I said that there's really no way for you to know what his intent was. You don't.
>>
>>63457204

an artwork is open to interpretation mate. but seriously if you can't see that Scorsese is doing what I described in his movie then you likely lack the ability to think about movies that don't just open themselves up to you and require zero effort on your own part

why isn't Scorsese doing what I described?
>>
dsfasdgf
>>
>>63457250
>You claimed to know what he was doing

I didn't, really, but let's not argue over semantics. I couldn't possibly know his intentions. Neither could the other poster. That's obvious and shouldn't have to be stated on an internet forum when discussing film and different interpretations of it.

>an artwork is open to interpretation mate

I agree. I never said you couldn't or shouldn't have yours--at least I didn't mean to.

I still think you're giving him too much credit. To be fair, I'm not really arguing against the film having the effect you're describing. It obviously did for you. I'm arguing against it being some ingenious balancing-act in the hands of Scorsese himself. He's shoving three hours of mindless, excessive debauchery down your pie-hole and doesn't go on ask you how it tasted. It's full fucking throttle. I think it's commendable in its own way, since it shows he has a faith in his audience so many directors seem to lack. I think I've lost my original point somewhere, but yeah... I hope you can see where I'm coming from.
>>
>>63456872
He's just painfully mediocre, that's all.
Zodiac is very good though.
>>
>Animal House
>Blues Brothers
>Twilight Zone
BTFO /tv/ plebs
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.