[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Chinatown
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7
File: chinatown.jpg (44 KB, 341x500) Image search: [Google]
chinatown.jpg
44 KB, 341x500
is this good /tv/?
>>
very good. also good music
>>
>>63447845
One of the best movies ever made
>>
>>63447845
hello reddit
>>
>>63447845
literally 5 bags of pop corn and five sodas
>>
>>63447845
One of the goats.
>>
Forget it Jake
This is Chinatown

BRAVO
>>
I like this meme.

>Post a well know great
>Ask if it's any good.
>>
>>63447845
yeah, if your genuinly wondering, then yes very good film, not sure if the sequel is anygood, if anyone could tell me that would be great i've been meaning to watch it
>>
File: bscap012.jpg (33 KB, 638x349) Image search: [Google]
bscap012.jpg
33 KB, 638x349
Would you?
>>
Something that always stands out to me about Chinatown is the very last shot.

She gets shot in the head and then there's this slow upward panning shot from behind. If you look at the back of her head in the shot, you can see a massive grotesque exit wound. You never see huge, realistic exit wounds like that. Exit wounds in movies usually just look exactly the same as an entrance wound.

I just think that's really cool. Great movie overall too.
>>
>>63448143
>Forget it Jake
>This is Chinatown
>BRAVO

This

I turned it off like a minute later.
>>
>>63448379
would i, what?
>>
>>63448407
uhh... anon
>>
File: 215px-Killing-Chinese-Bookie.jpg (24 KB, 215x332) Image search: [Google]
215px-Killing-Chinese-Bookie.jpg
24 KB, 215x332
>>63448496
>>63448496
have incestuous relations with her and make her the mother of her sister?.

How about this one?
>>
>>63448618
i saw this .. it was actually pretty cool.
>>
>>63448405
What's interesting is that because of the fact that no one does it, it sticks in your mind. Had other movies been like that it wouldn't have such an impact
>>
>>63448407
spoilers :^(
>>
>>63448379
>at the right time and the right place
>>
>>63448496
Have anal sex with a 13yo girl, like Roman Polanski.
>>
>>63448618
>>63448766
id have to think about it
>>
>>63448650
When I watched it, I was getting drunker and drunker and the whole thing seemed very surreal. It was done in an odd way. The story moves through just by changing location and the tone and without any verbal cues.

Plus the whole thing was very atmospheric. I have found some older hollywood movies to be similarly atmospheric and reliant mostly on the soundtrack and sets to move the story through.
>>
File: chinese bookie.jpg (156 KB, 1024x558) Image search: [Google]
chinese bookie.jpg
156 KB, 1024x558
>>63448618

It's very good
>>
File: 1439297155885.jpg (100 KB, 566x569) Image search: [Google]
1439297155885.jpg
100 KB, 566x569
Great movie, but very sad. I needed a drink afterwards.
>>
File: Cassavetes Box.jpg (176 KB, 775x1024) Image search: [Google]
Cassavetes Box.jpg
176 KB, 775x1024
>>63448914
>I have found some older hollywood movies to be similarly atmospheric and reliant mostly on the soundtrack and sets to move the story through.

Agreed with your points but just noting this isn't a Hollywood movie as such. Cassavetes acted to afford to write and direct his own films, which the studio system would have never released.
>>
Forget it, OP

It's Chinatown
>>
>>63449231
I bet you screw like a Chinaman.
>>
>>63448405
That plays into the whole way the film is constructed, with honesty at its core.

That is how I always think of it, with the blatant falseness of so many films, even great ones this film has this feel of reality. Feels like a film of this status could not be made in the way this was today.
>>
>>63447845
Great cinema.
>>
>>63448407
me too anon
>>
Noah was one of the few villains I've ever genuinely hated, great performance.
>>
>>63449933

agreed

no wonder DDL based his Plainview on Huston
>>
File: stanley_cortez.jpg (7 KB, 196x230) Image search: [Google]
stanley_cortez.jpg
7 KB, 196x230
poor guy
>>
>>63448379
Purest form of love
>>
Best modern film.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IBZocFkXGY
>>
I love how through the whole movie, chinatown is this place where inchomprehensibly bad things happen- so bad that they're unspeakable and we as the viewer couldn't understand. Its like Wtf could be any worse than what we've seen so far?

Then, finally, we end up in chinatown and the movie shows us how much worse things can get.

Pottery.
>>
>>63448978
Ben Gazzara said that when he was first shooting Bookie he just couldn't really connect to the main character as he was written in the script. John Cassavetes, while shooting a scene, explained that the mafia goons who want Cosmo's joint represent those people who want to steal and ruin your dreams. He then started to cry and realized that the whole movie and main character was a metaphor for Cassavetes and his struggles with his own dreams.

And then Gazzara knocked it out of the park with one of the best performances ever.
>>
>>63451294
love that anecdote, agreed

i'd seen em all already, but making my way through the box set now with all the supplements and its endlessly fascinating

what a team, Cassavetes, Rowlands, Falk, Gazzara, Cassel, just amazing
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.