[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have just watched this film for the first time. Didn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: Eraserhead[1].jpg (1 MB, 1881x2437) Image search: [Google]
Eraserhead[1].jpg
1 MB, 1881x2437
I have just watched this film for the first time. Didn't understand anything. Am I dumb?

Explain me this film. Especially what the machinist and those weird creatures symbolise.
>>
You didn't miss anything. This is the only film in 35 years of watching cinema that I have walked out on. It's completely worthless. Completely. Move on to the next film.
>>
File: 1425527495786.jpg (5 KB, 251x241) Image search: [Google]
1425527495786.jpg
5 KB, 251x241
>>63447551
>symbolize
>>
>>63447551
The womb. Fears of fatherhood.
>>
>>63447678
suicide
>>
>>63447551
>>63447678
>>63447700
These and also lynch operates on surrealism don't take everything face value its about the feeling of the film
>>
>>63447551

It's about the dread of parenthood, not only the responsibility but the possibility that the baby will have medical problems (like deformities, hence the baby). Really as far as Lynch movies go, it's pretty straightforward.

>the machinist

It's been while since I've seen it so I don't remember who you're referring to directly, but all the machinery/pipes/factories/smoke/rust are aesthetic, lending to the gritty, otherwolrdly, dreary tone. They also inform us about Henry's character, who works at one of these factories, implying he is just as unattached and autonomous as the pencil assembly lines.
>>
what did the lady in the radiator represent?
>>
>>63447838
Suicide. Escape from problems.
>>
I probably watched it 7 times and I really like it.
Don't dig too deep in reddit. It's a fun kino.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmyzYBeGrE8

Best part.
>>
>>63447806
It's that leprous man who is shown at the beginning and the end and operates some mechanism.
>>
>>63448061
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2WhbTyvLYU

In some fucked up sense, after all that weird kafkaesque shit, the ending scene was comfy as fuck.
>>
This is the only movie to put me at unease and make me feel horrified.

I think lynch intended to make a movie filled with surreal imagery that spoke to a lot of common fears. Parenthood, death, suicide, isolation, darkness, the unknown, claustrophobia, brutal real life violence. All of these horrific elements appear in the film and are also some of the most common fears.
>>
>>63447551
henry's girlfriend has an unplanned pregnancy, the girlfriend can't handle the stress and dumps the baby on henry, the baby is deformed and sickly and requires a lot of attention, henry has an affair, kills the baby, then himself
some of the more bizarre sequences, such as the dinner with parents or the eponymous eraserhead sequence would benefit from looking up one of the many detailed analysis
>>
>>63448345
Watch some of his other films anon. Inland empire and even mulholland drive have some really creepy and eerie surreal shit
>>
It's basically David Lynch's portrayal of his worst nightmare: having kids.
>>
>>63448188
>not posting the kim deal version
>>
>>63449409
>not posting it yourself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwOxdoJRaeM

Is this it dipshit ?
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.